Commander Legends and the Command Cube Experience?

JimmyAndreson
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by JimmyAndreson » 3 years ago

So now that Commander Legends is out and folks may or may not have had some experience with it, has anybody given the Commander Cube any further consideration? How many cards would you use? Would you want to represent or change any of the ways the different colors/guilds/shards/wedges are represented? What reserved list/higher value not reprinted cards would you consider for it? What other cards are you just excited to have in there too? Strategies? I've never tried to build a commander cube, but with the release of this set I am feeling more and more inclined to do so. What are some of your guys' experiences running them? Ways to smooth out/balance the experience? How much time does it take? Is it worth a nights time? For some reason this set gives me the hope that commander cubing can become more of a thing and a way to have some fun and balanced game sessions.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

JimmyAndreson wrote:
3 years ago
So now that Commander Legends is out and folks may or may not have had some experience with it, has anybody given the Commander Cube any further consideration? How many cards would you use? Would you want to represent or change any of the ways the different colors/guilds/shards/wedges are represented? What reserved list/higher value not reprinted cards would you consider for it? What other cards are you just excited to have in there too? Strategies? I've never tried to build a commander cube, but with the release of this set I am feeling more and more inclined to do so. What are some of your guys' experiences running them? Ways to smooth out/balance the experience? How much time does it take? Is it worth a nights time? For some reason this set gives me the hope that commander cubing can become more of a thing and a way to have some fun and balanced game sessions.
I have two regular cubes. My recommendation is to choose a cube size (commander cube will have to be on the slightly larger size) and then to just throw together a pile of cards. Then, just draft it. There's a huge amount of tweaking to get a cube to a powerlevel you want it at and the best way to get feedback to get it there is by just drafting it a lot.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

I built a commander cube and it was fun. That said, in the future I plan to use a set cube for commander legends as a replacement. (1) because passing around my expensive commander cards gives me an ulcer and (2) because I think the partner designs masterfully allowed for interesting permutations and archetypes. I really think it's one of the best sets ever designed. The 2-at-a-time draft format was also a great move.

Especially if you cut some of the more expensive (and mostly less interesting) rares and mythics, a cube using commander legends seems easy, cheap, and super fun. So much of the great gameplay is baked into the uncommons in that set. You could remove all the cards worth more than $5 and it would be just as fun.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

I'm currently retooling my Commander cube based on Commander Legends. Changing the general count and lowering the overall count, as well as changing draft pack size.

But ill echo materpillar. Pick a size, pull together your favorite cards, and start drafting. Easiest thing to do is look at a couple of lists for ideas, but its easy mode if you keep all the colors balanced and include plenty of mana fixing and generals to choose from.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”