Warhammer 40K, Lord of the Rings, and other IPs in Magic.

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

sorry not sorry
Attachments
159459258_1530076897195177_1247197832868221552_n.jpg
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I miss Leslie Nielsen. Always thought he should have played Gandalf in a spoof of LotR.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 3 years ago

And Mel Brooks as Sauron. And The Rock as Frodo.

RadiantSophia
Pronoun: she / her

Post by RadiantSophia » 3 years ago

*pulls out long-stem pipe*

Let me tell you somethin' little whipper-snappers. When I was playin' the Magic back in... oh, it must a been 96' or 97', there was already the idea o' usin' other properties in the cards. I remember some magazine or somethin' creatin' Magic cards based on "The wheel of Time". I reckon it'd still make a decent crossover.

End Transmission.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

RadiantSophia wrote:
3 years ago

Let me tell you somethin' little whipper-snappers. When I was playin' the Magic back in... oh, it must a been 96' or 97', there was already the idea o' usin' other properties in the cards. I remember some magazine or somethin' creatin' Magic cards based on "The wheel of Time". I reckon it'd still make a decent crossover.

End Transmission.
Hey, if it allows me to use Lanfear as my commander, I am all for it.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

RadiantSophia wrote:
3 years ago

End Transmission.
There's legend an ancient script known as "Inquest Magazine" that contains the images of custom cards depicting heroes like Tarzan, King Arthur, and Drizzt Do'Urden. It records words scribed by Rosewater the Blue himself . . . "[Using other properties in Magic would be] jumping the shark".
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

"Inquest Magazine", now that brings me back. Gives me memories of a long rumored MTG movie with the late Sean Connery as Urza...

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
It records words scribed by Rosewater the Blue himself . . . "[Using other properties in Magic would be] jumping the shark".
If this is true, I would want to track down the source and then ask Rosewater myself what happened.

Hermes_

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
It records words scribed by Rosewater the Blue himself . . . "[Using other properties in Magic would be] jumping the shark".
If this is true, I would want to track down the source and then ask Rosewater myself what happened.
Ask about it on his blogatog....

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Legend wrote:
3 years ago
I'd need proof; I wouldn't want to hurl that kind of mud without a scan or something.

Hermes_

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
I'd need proof; I wouldn't want to hurl that kind of mud without a scan or something.
He'd more than likely handwave it anyway "At the time i said that...."

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago

I mean, considering it would have been written probably 2 decades ago, when magic was still fairly new? It's not exactly a handwave if it was written in a completely different timeframe. If you'd asked Mark from 1998 if they were ever going to put stuff on the back of the magic card, he'd almost certainly have said no, because they couldn't even consider doing that for another decade+.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago

"..., Hasbro didn't own WotC."
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
"..., Hasbro didn't own WotC."
WotC was acquired in '99, so that would be correct.

But I think it has a lot to do with WotC finally caving to a demand that has existed since the early days of the game.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
You know, I've been thinking and reading about this some more and I think I've seen the light. The individuals most vitirolic about this development are likely the festering bits of the playerbase anyway, people whose dissatisfaction was building like a cyst long before this announcement freshly irritated them. I think perhaps I'd trade a chance to play against many of those "veteran players" to catch a game with some wide-eyed newbies (drawn in by UB maybe?) whose enjoyment is still uncomplicated by years of percieved slights. I'd probably spend 4x the time explaining rules/interactions, but I wager it'd be way less toxic of an experience.

Yes, I think I've come around. This is not only gonna be okay, I think this will be swell.

Edit: Because no paragraph needs the word "probably" in it 4 times.
I don't think this is particularly fair. It's hard to watch the game you've spent over a decade of your life studying, playing and mastering slowly warp into something you don't enjoy nearly as much anymore.

I, for example, want nothing more than to jam Lightning Angel|19760 and slay some fools with her. She's never been good in EDH but now she's basically completely and utterly atrocious. The more things they print specifically for EDH the worse and worse she becomes and the worse and worse I feel for even considering to cast her. Watching older, nostalgia filled cards get strictly better reprints feels awful (I'm looking at you Thassa's Oracle and what you wrecked upon Laboratory Maniac). The shiny new stuff might be stronger but it doesn't make the game feel better. These upcoming secret layers are incredibly risky in this area. No matter how cool the upcoming Smaug card is, it won't be as cool as Chromium but it'll probably be way stronger and thus push Chromium even farther into the dumpster. I want to play with Chromium not Smaug. That isn't a toxic desire and it isn't invalidated by the desire for other people to want a spiffy smaug card.
I mean, it's not like any of the Godzilla cards are what made Chromium a less competitive card for EDH, and in fairness to MTG, they did print a new Chromium, the Mutable.

I'm in kind of a similar boat, but with a more optimistic viewpoint. I love Kavu. They're my favorite tribe and I was hoping we'd get more in Dominaria. However, in Modern Horizons we did get Morophon, the Boundless, who goes infinite with Horned Kavu and can put infinite +1/+1 counters on Kavu Monarch, or Morophon can use Urza's Incubator to go infinite with Sparkcaster.

I feel like Morophon makes Lighting Angel more playable. She only cost 1 mana with Morophon in play, and she's a more effective slayer with cards like Kindred Discovery, Shared Animosity, and Lyra Dawnbringer. Sure, Morophon cost 7 and Angel tribal isn't the most competitive deck, but you can add cards from all 5 colors to make it more competitive if you want to.

The other thing is there's no guarantee that UB cards will be pushed, or more pushed than the next commander set. If we ever get a Blade, the Vampire Hunter card and you can tap it to destroy vampires that isn't really overpowered.

I for one am excited about the LOTR crossover and hope that we get a Warcraft crossover one day.

EDIT: The other nice thing about commander is there is an advantage to playing the least powered deck in a match because other players will target each other. So if you have a Chromium deck you can play plenty of interaction and encourage your opponents to attack each other and blow each other's stuff up. A Chromium on the board can do more than a Smaug in the command zone.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

brycechard
Pronoun: she / her

Post by brycechard » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
3 years ago
sorry not sorry
lol. Funny meme. Something like it I saw on my favorite forum on Tolkien's books. I would say that the style is similar. And the semantic message, too. It feels like one person wrote. Lmao. Well, I liked the joke, I even laughed a little. If you are interested, then here is the forum: https://www.thetolkienforum.com/wiki/Talion. You can also publish it there. I think the fans of the Lord of the Rings there will appreciate this meme.
Last edited by brycechard 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

This thread got necro'd for basically no reason, but the topic is relevant again after this recent announcement video. By the end of 2022, there will be six other IPs with their own Magic cards, and that's not counting the Godzilla reskins or upcoming Fortnite reprints, nor any unannounced Secret Lairs that are surely on the way. I'm not losing sleep over it, but I don't like it. It may also be that I'm dissatisfied with the overall direction of Magic lately, but that's another thread.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Yep, I'm tired of cards that don't look like cards anymore. I'll get certain things if they look cool for my collection, but I don't want to play with the Death Corona version of Void Beckoner in Skullbriar, the Walking Grave. I don't buy any Secret Lair. I don't buy foils.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

onering

Post by onering » 2 years ago

D&D made sense, because if you didn't know D&D existed you could mistake the set for just another Magic set with some goofy mechanics. I'm still iffy on LotR, with the only reason I even consider giving it a pass being that its the grand daddy that inspired most modern fantasy, of which Magic is a part. It makes some sense as an homage, though will still feel really weird. Anything else I'm fine with as reskins of normal cards, which makes me feel a lot better about the Secret Lairs, as even though most of those are really stupid the actual cards will be available as normal magic cards with normal magic flavor.

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 2 years ago

Also it does help with the D&D sets that D&D is WotC IP, so they tend to mesh together due to their overlapping aesthetic themes

LoTR might get away with feeling okay, everyone else would feel off.

If they stuck specifically to chaos daemons for 40K it would be ok, but otherwise definitely off.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

I would absolutely love to see a April fools day joke where they state they are putting My Little Pony into the mix of worlds they are planning to use. Want to see peoples heads explode, how bout a semi plausible hasbro IP.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
I would absolutely love to see a April fools day joke where they state they are putting My Little Pony into the mix of worlds they are planning to use. Want to see peoples heads explode, how bout a semi plausible hasbro IP.
Way too plausible imo. I mean, Fortnite magic cards are real. Is my little pony any worse? Not to mention they already have the silver-bordered ones. Pretty lame prank.

I don't even know what they could do to be any more cravenly commercial than they already are. To even qualify as a prank, they'd have to at least go into fast food or household appliances.

I cast the IKEA couch, a 2/4 with defender, and pass turn.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

I cast the IKEA couch, a 2/4 with defender, and pass turn.
No way furniture that cheap can have 4 toughness. More like a 1/2 with vanishing ~2 years
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

My take is a bit more easy going on this. Like, If anything, as a fighting game enthusiast I'm actually kind of interested in the Street Fighter cards as a self expression of my love for fighting games (Though I'd be even more interested if it was SNK that got in on this. Having Charlotte from Samurai Shodown as my commander would be the best thing ever.)

onering

Post by onering » 2 years ago

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
My take is a bit more easy going on this. Like, If anything, as a fighting game enthusiast I'm actually kind of interested in the Street Fighter cards as a self expression of my love for fighting games (Though I'd be even more interested if it was SNK that got in on this. Having Charlotte from Samurai Shodown as my commander would be the best thing ever.)

Which is cool, because Wizards responded to the backlash against TWD and will be printing mtg flavored versions of those cards, rendering the secret lairs as merely skins like the Godzilla cards. I have zero problem with this, as I see them essentially as factory alters, and alters are as old as Magic. What I'm opposed to is what they did with TWD, where Rick and company ARE the cards, not just skins, and especially if such ab approach gets applied to actual sets. Even LotR is kind of iffy, and that comes second after D&D in terms of actually fitting the flavor of Magic. So long as secret lairs are approached as reskins, I'm all for it, go nuts. I'd even be interested in full sets if they are a stand alone product merely using Magic's rules. Remember the Space: The Gathering custom Star Wars set from awhile back? Crap like that would be really cool as its own thing. Universes Beyond could work really well as an alternate Magic for pop culture, separate from the normal game. I could see Wizards being able to consolidate all the short lived attempts at turning franchises into TCGs under the Universes Beyond banner, convincing studios to license them the IP and rely on Magic's proven rules system and Wizards market penetration rather than reinventing the wheel.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”