Warhammer 40K, Lord of the Rings, and other IPs in Magic.

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 3 years ago

When it comes to LotR, I doubt the Silmarillion will be a part of the set. Its either going to be the Trilogy, the Trilogy plus the Hobbit, or a tie in to the new Amazon show in the Second Age (which would give us a lot of blue to work with, with Numenor at its height as a seafaring civilization).

If we get a Silmarillion set, the one saving grace of this whole thing will be a lot more people finding out the Feanor did nothing wrong.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

onering wrote:
3 years ago
When it comes to LotR, I doubt the Silmarillion will be a part of the set. Its either going to be the Trilogy, the Trilogy plus the Hobbit, or a tie in to the new Amazon show in the Second Age (which would give us a lot of blue to work with, with Numenor at its height as a seafaring civilization).

If we get a Silmarillion set, the one saving grace of this whole thing will be a lot more people finding out the Feanor did nothing wrong.
Well, other than killing their kin the Telerin to take their ships, you are correct.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

onering wrote:
3 years ago

We don't know what the product will be yet. My gut tells me that if they do a draftable set, they will have a lot of space for some bigger names like Feanor, the Valar, Beren, Turin, Hurin, Huor and Earendil. Also Ungoliant.
Unless they have been informed ahead of time of which characters are in the Amazon show, I don't see it featuring specifically into the product. It's possible, though.

My bet is it will be LotR + The Hobbit + a few references to older characters. LotR is just so much more resonant with people than Gil-Galad or Fingolfin.

Also, Feanor did a lot of things wrong in a short period of time. Not sure why you say he did nothing wrong. I always saw the first Kinslaying as a stand-in for Cain murdering Abel.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

onering

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
onering wrote:
3 years ago

We don't know what the product will be yet. My gut tells me that if they do a draftable set, they will have a lot of space for some bigger names like Feanor, the Valar, Beren, Turin, Hurin, Huor and Earendil. Also Ungoliant.
Unless they have been informed ahead of time of which characters are in the Amazon show, I don't see it featuring specifically into the product. It's possible, though.

My bet is it will be LotR + The Hobbit + a few references to older characters. LotR is just so much more resonant with people than Gil-Galad or Fingolfin.

Also, Feanor did a lot of things wrong in a short period of time. Not sure why you say he did nothing wrong. I always saw the first Kinslaying as a stand-in for Cain murdering Abel.
Its a running gag on forums and /r/'s dedicated to the Sil. He obviously did pretty much everything wrong.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

onering wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
onering wrote:
3 years ago

Its a running gag on forums and /r/'s dedicated to the Sil. He obviously did pretty much everything wrong.
Well, not *everything*. I mean, he saved the light of the two trees. Of course, he was then unwilling to give up said gemstones to restore the trees. And leading the Noldor to Middle-Earth did save the native elves and dwarves from extinction at the hands of the forces of Darkness.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

onering wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
My ethics lecturer used to tell us slippery slope debates always end up with Nazis, so just don't use them.
On the other hand, Commander: Indiana Jones is distinctly possible, so the slippery slope ending up at Nazis isn't actually absurd here.
Ha! I mean I doubt it, but you never know I guess. Side point - if Nazis get into MtG through UB via way of Indy, considering those stories are all linked to artifacts of biblical nature, would that make Jesus a possible theme for MtG to explore?
(apologies to any religious folk for the blasphemy, I tend not to take religion very seriously)

I think we both know what the point was. to not presume the worst before it becomes evident that that is the case (with Nazis being the worst), but I guess it's worth clarifying for anyone not familiar with the slippery slope as a logical fallacy.

This direction could head thematically downhill, but honestly, I sort of doubt it. They're always going to aim for IPs that are at least thematically close or tangential to MtG, and honestly, to a degree I'm not too fazed by the theme and art on my cards, so long as they're balanced for gameplay.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Ha! I mean I doubt it, but you never know I guess. Side point - if Nazis get into MtG through UB via way of Indy, considering those stories are all linked to artifacts of biblical nature, would that make Jesus a possible theme for MtG to explore?
(apologies to any religious folk for the blasphemy, I tend not to take religion very seriously)
See that there is why UB: Indiana Jones isn't going to happen. Heck, nazis would be enough for it not to happen. But WotC are very actively shying away from real world religions, which is part of the reason that a return to Rabiah is extremely unlikely, as its source material includes references to Islam. It's also the reason they stopped using real world quotes for flavor text. WotC have no problem with fantasy equivalents of real world religion (Church of Avacyn and Church of Serra for Christianity, the various gods from Amonkhet, Theros, and Kaldheim are based of the Pharaonic, Olympian, and Asgardian faith respectively. The Orzhov are loosely based on the Catholic church, but with a criminal twist.), but real religion is a no-no.
They've also actively taken steps to disassociate with people who follow the nazi (and similar) ideologies.

So, SU: Indiana Jones is extremely unlikely to happen.

toctheyounger

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
See that there is why UB: Indiana Jones isn't going to happen. Heck, nazis would be enough for it not to happen. But WotC are very actively shying away from real world religions, which is part of the reason that a return to Rabiah is extremely unlikely, as its source material includes references to Islam. It's also the reason they stopped using real world quotes for flavor text. WotC have no problem with fantasy equivalents of real world religion (Church of Avacyn and Church of Serra for Christianity, the various gods from Amonkhet, Theros, and Kaldheim are based of the Pharaonic, Olympian, and Asgardian faith respectively. The Orzhov are loosely based on the Catholic church, but with a criminal twist.), but real religion is a no-no.
They've also actively taken steps to disassociate with people who follow the nazi (and similar) ideologies.

So, SU: Indiana Jones is extremely unlikely to happen.
Fair point. And rightly so, half of the art that got errata'd out of formats was by Harold McNeill. The guy is pretty loony, lots of very heavy alt-right neo nazi symbolism on his socials.

All this being said, there's a historical link there between LotR and some pretty insurgent groups within the Nordic black metal community. You and I are both aware of it given our contributions to the 'what music are you into' thread, but I wonder if WotC is.

Obviously it's not the same as directly referencing hate crimes and the Crusade, but it was a pretty intense music scene, rife with church burnings, suicide and murder. A lot of them went under pseudonyms directly from Middle Earth, like Count Grishnakh of Burzum (which itself is black speech for darkness), Blind Guardian, Gorgoroth, and a lot of it was derivative of that too. Just look at the album cover of In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor.

Ultimately, I think it's mostly that Tolkien's mythos is somewhat inspired from Norse mythology and those bands were very anti-Christian in favour of returning to old beliefs, but the link is still there nonetheless.

At any rate, I think the closer crossovers get to RL, the less feasible they become, partly for this reason.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

After some more time to think about it, I think my reaction to other IPs comes from a disdain for most of those IPs. I would be stoked for the LOTR-themed SLD or set.

Warhammer 40k, and others I could care less about. Honestly, thinking about it has made me less ornery about the Walking Dead SLD. At least it wasn't a whole set.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Lol idk why Blind Guardian is getting lumped in there. They had a Middle-Earth themed album, but otherwise I don't see any Tolkein connection. Also (probably more importantly) no murder or arson. They're pretty mainstream power metal afaik. Is there any reason WotC would want to avoid being connected to them? Not that it's much of a connection, really.

That other stuff is pretty interesting, though, I wasn't aware of it. Clearly my tastes aren't metal enough.

Damn, I wish we still had the headbanger emoji from Sally =/

Afaik only 1 banned card was illustrated by McNeill (invoke prejudice) and obviously not solely because of the artist. Luckily for my Nether Void.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
After some more time to think about it, I think my reaction to other IPs comes from a disdain for most of those IPs. I would be stoked for the LOTR-themed SLD or set.

Warhammer 40k, and others I could care less about. Honestly, thinking about it has made me less ornery about the Walking Dead SLD. At least it wasn't a whole set.
My biggest issue was the way it was sold. I still don't like Secret Lairs and probably never will. I can't think of anything that would be premium enough for me to change my mind, but you never know. Other than that, it's not my fandom so I'm just not interested in the cards.
DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Lol idk why Blind Guardian is getting lumped in there. They had a Middle-Earth themed album, but otherwise I don't see any Tolkein connection. Also (probably more importantly) no murder or arson. They're pretty mainstream power metal afaik. Is there any reason WotC would want to avoid being connected to them? Not that it's much of a connection, really.

That other stuff is pretty interesting, though, I wasn't aware of it. Clearly my tastes aren't metal enough.

Ah yeah, I guess the others were just archaically racist or whatever. Mostly the biggest loss was Prejudice, the others were like obscure The Dark and Homelands printings that no one was going to really miss anyway.

I've actually never listened to Blind Guardian myself so I wasn't sure where they fell in the metal pantheon. I do get into second wave black metal, which is the genre being referred to here. Honestly, it's not that you're not metal enough, it's a pretty acquired taste, and it's one of those genres that gets quite elitist about its place outside of the mainstream, even within the metal scene. A lot of it is very lo-fi, and it's generally very bombarding. Nonetheless, as an aside if you want to give it a go you could try Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor. It's pretty well recorded and one of the better (and more mainstream) recordings from that era. You'll either like it or despise it, there's not much room for middle ground.

As far as that era goes, it's all pretty well lost to the annals of time now, although the churches of Norway I'm sure would disagree. I doubt it was a big enough thing to give any cause for concern in terms of introducing the IP into other fantasy tropes, this was more of an aside from SL: Indiana Jones. Tolkien himself would decry the correlation between his works and any fanaticism, along with most of the allegory that gets thrust upon his works and all of the memes and %$#%, of which there are absolute screeds. Nonetheless, Count Grishnakh composed the first Burzum album from prison so that's interesting. It makes for interesting reading if you delve further into the scene at any rate.

onering

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
onering wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
My ethics lecturer used to tell us slippery slope debates always end up with Nazis, so just don't use them.
On the other hand, Commander: Indiana Jones is distinctly possible, so the slippery slope ending up at Nazis isn't actually absurd here.

I think we both know what the point was. to not presume the worst before it becomes evident that that is the case (with Nazis being the worst), but I guess it's worth clarifying for anyone not familiar with the slippery slope as a logical fallacy.

This direction could head thematically downhill, but honestly, I sort of doubt it. They're always going to aim for IPs that are at least thematically close or tangential to MtG, and honestly, to a degree I'm not too fazed by the theme and art on my cards, so long as they're balanced for gameplay.

Yeah, I know, but I'm not going to miss an opportunity to joke about when Nazis aren't even at the bottom of the slippery slope.

As for whether it could thematically lead downhill, it already has. TWD lead that charge, 40k continues it (though not quite as bad as TWD). If it only stays this bad, it's bad. There's no slippery slope argument here, we've already slid down the hill pretty far.

RadiantSophia
Pronoun: she / her

Post by RadiantSophia » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
I think the LotR's set while having some impact on Commander (unless the people in charge decide to just ban the Universes Beyond products, which I highly doubt), it will at least fit the flavor of MTG (I.e. Fantasy).

But the thing is, each play group can always Rule 0 the product if they feel they distract to much. My playgroup did it with the Walking Dead cards (not that any of us wanted them to begin with), and we have discussed doing it with Warhammer 40k as well. We are excited about the LotR product though, mostly because it is based on the urexample of high fantasy that modern fantasy is based on.

Basically, if you have a regular play group, talk with them about each product once the product in the Universes Beyond line is announced and come to a joint decision on whether or not you want to allow that product in your group.
I'm just curious if your playgroup also bans other things that "distract to much"? Asking because I see a prodigious amount of alters that are superheroes or anime mecha, and I find that extremely distracting.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
All this being said, there's a historical link there between LotR and some pretty insurgent groups within the Nordic black metal community. You and I are both aware of it given our contributions to the 'what music are you into' thread, but I wonder if WotC is.
The only association between the two is that the latter wants to be associated with it, but they are also the same loons that think that all vikings were blonde, seven feet tall, and wore horned helmets.
RadiantSophia wrote:
3 years ago
I'm just curious if your playgroup also bans other things that "distract to much"? Asking because I see a prodigious amount of alters that are superheroes or anime mecha, and I find that extremely distracting.
It's honestly never come up. But in general we ban things based on the card itself, not its art. (Which is why we banned a few commanders because they are really unfun to play against. And a few decks too for that matter. RIP my Sliver/Warp World deck.)
We simply chose to preemptively ban the Warhammer stuff now rather than after release so that none of us would waste money on a Sci-Fi franchise.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago

Ah yeah, I guess the others were just archaically racist or whatever. Mostly the biggest loss was Prejudice, the others were like obscure The Dark and Homelands printings that no one was going to really miss anyway.

I've actually never listened to Blind Guardian myself so I wasn't sure where they fell in the metal pantheon. I do get into second wave black metal, which is the genre being referred to here. Honestly, it's not that you're not metal enough, it's a pretty acquired taste, and it's one of those genres that gets quite elitist about its place outside of the mainstream, even within the metal scene. A lot of it is very lo-fi, and it's generally very bombarding. Nonetheless, as an aside if you want to give it a go you could try Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor. It's pretty well recorded and one of the better (and more mainstream) recordings from that era. You'll either like it or despise it, there's not much room for middle ground.
Blind Guardian is power metal and that genre has a tendency towards cheesy sounding stuff, but Blind Guardian never really crosses that line (in my opinion). I don't think anyone is as good as them in their genre. I'm not huge into power metal but I definitely love this band.. All of their music is fantasy inspired in some way. If you were to want to check them out I'd listen to their song "And Then There Was Silence", which is an epic masterpiece. As far as album recommendations I'd start with "A Night at the Opera" or "Imaginations From The Other Side". Their album "Nightfall in Middle Earth" might actually be one of the odder ones to try to start with since it has a number of interludes involved.

As far as black metal goes, Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" was my introduction to the genre and it definitely hooked me (I go back and forth between that and "Prometheus" as my actual favorite Emperor album). I'd also recommend Immortal's "Sons of Northern Darkness" and Satyricon's "Nemesis Divina" as other good introductory albums to that sound from that era. There is some other great more modern black metal I'd totally recommend too but I figure I wouldn't derail stuff too much in this topic.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 years ago

Well, it was only a matter of time before we turned to Nazis, but I'm surprised it happened so quickly after were just warned about the slippery slope.
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
- LotR art design - I'm down for Bakshi, so long as the Gondorians are wearing pants. A case could be made for Rankin/Bass, but honestly I kind of just hope they take the lore and allow some really great artists to make it exquisite.
For a few wild seconds I thought you were implying that that there could be a case for Rankin/Bass to draw naked-ass men.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

toctheyounger

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 years ago
Well, it was only a matter of time before we turned to Nazis, but I'm surprised it happened so quickly after were just warned about the slippery slope.
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
- LotR art design - I'm down for Bakshi, so long as the Gondorians are wearing pants. A case could be made for Rankin/Bass, but honestly I kind of just hope they take the lore and allow some really great artists to make it exquisite.
For a few wild seconds I thought you were implying that that there could be a case for Rankin/Bass to draw naked-ass men.
Not at all, I just don't want Bakshi Aragorn. A not quite long enough tunic is not enough to cover the genital region, sir. Its a shame parts of that move were so bad because other parts of it were really very good. The nazgul in particular I really liked.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
My biggest issue was the way it was sold. I still don't like Secret Lairs and probably never will. I can't think of anything that would be premium enough for me to change my mind, but you never know. Other than that, it's not my fandom so I'm just not interested in the cards.
While I dislike the limited release window, it honestly doesn't change how I buy cards a whole lot. I order online, and a bunch of singles come in the mail.

I realize there's a lot going on under the hood and that this take is seriously reductionist, but, not all market efficiencies are bad, and I think I will strongly supporting my brick and mortar stores when the plague is over (even though I still support them through online orders).
DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Lol idk why Blind Guardian is getting lumped in there. They had a Middle-Earth themed album, but otherwise I don't see any Tolkein connection.
Blind Guardian is (arguably) named after sentinels outside Minas Morgul.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
sorry and off topic but. . .im going to go out on a limb here and say that. . .this message. . .and its parts. . .is pretty awesome. I think it has it all.

onering

3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
We got to Nazi's BECAUSE the slippery slope was brought up. Specifically, because given TWD, an Indiana Jones set, and thus Nazi's, isn't even absurd (because Indiana Jones is better suited to MTG in my opinion, and more popular). In this case, Nazi's aren't at the bottom, they're high enough up the slope that we're already far enough down that them showing up wouldn't be a result of us sliding any further.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

onering wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
We got to Nazi's BECAUSE the slippery slope was brought up. Specifically, because given TWD, an Indiana Jones set, and thus Nazi's, isn't even absurd (because Indiana Jones is better suited to MTG in my opinion, and more popular). In this case, Nazi's aren't at the bottom, they're high enough up the slope that we're already far enough down that them showing up wouldn't be a result of us sliding any further.
Fortunately, despite Indiana Jones thematically being a better fit for MTG, I outlines in a response above exactly why it is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

RadiantSophia
Pronoun: she / her

Post by RadiantSophia » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Not at all, I just don't want Bakshi Aragorn. A not quite long enough tunic is not enough to cover the genital region, sir. Its a shame parts of that move were so bad because other parts of it were really very good. The nazgul in particular I really liked.
something, something, "feast on manflesh"....

End Transmission.

toctheyounger

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
While I dislike the limited release window, it honestly doesn't change how I buy cards a whole lot. I order online, and a bunch of singles come in the mail.

I realize there's a lot going on under the hood and that this take is seriously reductionist, but, not all market efficiencies are bad, and I think I will strongly supporting my brick and mortar stores when the plague is over (even though I still support them through online orders).
Oh I'm much the same. Online orders are how I roll. I usually rack a few up, trade in some to offset it and head in to store to make the switch. The whole process takes some time these days, but it works well. The difference between this and SL is my LGS doesn't gouge me for shipping and my money helps a brick and mortar store at the grassroots of the community instead of an entertainment conglomerate.
RadiantSophia wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago

something, something, "feast on manflesh"....

End Transmission.
Oh my, that took a turn for the scandalous. Seriously though, this is the face of our UB ranger of the north.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Strider, aka Thunderthighs.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

@toctheyounger @Dunharrow

I say let the man keep his scanty tunic! Women need fanservice too, a la Enthralling Victor. No one is complaining about that guy being underdressed.

Damn it, this the 21st century! Man thighs are on the menu.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”