Brainstorming a Foretell Deck

kraus911
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kraus911 » 3 years ago

The mechanic seems fun and potentially good, especially in a control shell.

Azorius is easy, just use Ranar the Ever-Watchful who is built for it, use exile effects to control the board and get Spirits, Brago seems good there, Ephara goes in the 99.

But I want to build either bant or esper (too many jeskai based decks already).

Aside from just the value of bant, Roon of the Hidden Realm would also trigger Ranar and with green it'd be easy to get Ranar onto the battlefield. Aside from Battle Mammoth there aren't amazing green foretell cards, but Sarulf's Packmate would like to be blinked and the fight one is useful. I also haven't had a straight up bant deck in a long time because (cough cough) simic is overdone.

Esper might seem obvious with that cool demon Dream Devourer to play with and my only real reservation is I've played a lot of esper lately. Dream Devourer seems pretty good at setting you up to play a bunch of 2 drop artifacts in 1 big turn if that could do anything.

The other option would be Atraxa, Praetors' Voice or partners equalling those colors. I have an Atraxa deck and don't really want to gather the mana base for another 4 color deck, but I could do it on the cheap if it's not a high level deck.

So I'm on the fence for now and looking to get bumped one way or another. Thoughts? I don't really have a win con or game plan yet aside from seeing what kind of value foretell provides.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I honestly don't think there's support for it without using ranar who has extra synergy.

It'll be more like an esper spells deck with a smattering of foretell.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

would reconsider 2 colors, I like Vega, the Watcher as the general. That way you can play all the good foretell cards and also play flashback, jumpstart, rebound, cascade, suspend, etc to get more value from your general.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
would reconsider 2 colors, I like Vega, the Watcher as the general. That way you can play all the good foretell cards and also play flashback, jumpstart, rebound, cascade, suspend, etc to get more value from your general.
You're right. I was actually looking at Vega but not in relation to this thought experiment. Mostly I want to play with new cards and try out foretell and the black demon can go in any deck. I have a spare set of azorius lands so I'll probably start here.

I think if I went 3 color I'd go esper with Aminatou, the Fateshifter for some blink shenanigans and then if the few decent foretell cards show up, great, and with Ranar out the blink effects would still trigger his spirit creation.

Thanks for your input.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

For Foretell in Azorius, I think Ranar the Ever-Watchful and Vega, the Watcher are different decks; Ranar likes to play with flicker cards, and Vega might like suspend, flashback, etc. There are options for both.

Outside Azorius, I think Esper is your best bet. The red and green foretell cards have too few good ones to be worth it. You could always go with some generic value esper commander, like Oloro, Ageless Ascetic.

You could also go with Aminatou, the Fateshifter and try and play a face-down theme deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”