Harnfel, Horn of Bounty - Big Red

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

So I have two mono colored golos decks I haven't disassembled yet and one of my projects is to finish fixing that. What I kinda want in a commander is to just let me draw big stupid red cards to cast, like Drakuseth, Maw of Flames and Scourge of the Throne and Fiery Emancipation. I don't particularly want any synergy in the command zone since what I like about this deck is that the big stupid red bombs and damage doublers.

A buddy of mine suggested a Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty deck that focused on using Harnfel to keep the hand stocked, which I think is a really cool idea since I already have a bit of a rummaging/looting theme going on with carrds like Daretti, Scrap Savant and Crucible of Worlds.

I've been brainstorming cards that I think would be fun to slot into the deck to enable the Harnfel face of the card:

What I'm thinking is taking my existing Golos deck (https://deckbox.org/sets/2603527?s=c&o=a) and converting it, maybe making a 10-20 card tweak to add some synergy for the horn and such.

I feel like some topdeck shenanigans would probably be good (scroll rack, top, etc.) and adding Bonfire of the Damned and Reforge the Soul, maybe some jank stuff like Squee, the Immortal, Squee, Goblin Nabob and Feldon of the Third Path that do well with the discarding aspect. Maybe some flashback spells here and there. Maybe Goblin Engineer to supplement Daretti, Scrap Savant at fetching cool stuff out of the bin.

Can you guys think of any categories of cards I'm missing? Any neat interactions with the discard:impulse draw mechanic especially?

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

If there were more decent cards with the mechanic, I'd suggest madness because Horn of Plenty provides a free, instant speed outlet. As it stands, I doubt enabling Fiery Temper or Avacyn's Judgment is worth exiling Gauntlet of Power on someone else's turn.

Feldon of the Third Path and Scrap Mastery to play a semi-reanimator plan seem like solid options. Arcbound Reclaimer seems like it might be able to set up an engine with the horn as well.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

pokken

I did forget abour madness despite my live of avacyns judgment (which j used to play in a nahiri midrange deck in modern as antililiana tech :p)

Anjes ravager seems fairly playable too.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

Bag of Holding is straight up cheating with Harnfel, Horn of Bounty!
Especially if you were to go the artifact route.

Brallin, Skyshark Rider, Cavalier of Flame and Glint-Horn Buccaneer do very well in discard based decks.

pokken

Toshi wrote:
3 years ago
Bag of Holding is straight up cheating
is it me or is Library of Leng kinda too? discard a card, play it for free off the top then play the next one too if you want? :P Pretty dope callout. Thanks!

Oh no, library probably doesn't work with paying costs.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I like Ghirapur Orrery because it allows you to play additional lands you might hit with Harnfel ability. You can also discard cards in upkeep in response to Ghirapur Orrery so that you draw 3 cards each turn giving you the fuel you need.

Anje's Ravager has madness so you can cast it off the discard and then discarding your hand to draw 3 cards is no problem as you can discard to Harnfel first to get value.
Depending on creature base you could play Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner for the value.

Sensei's Divining Top can be continuously used to draw a card and then recast Top with Harnfel. For each 1 you'll net digging deeper into your deck. Any cost reduction will allow you to go infinite.

pokken

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Sensei's Divining Top can be continuously used to draw a card and then recast Top with Harnfel. For each you'll net digging deeper into your deck. Any cost reduction will allow you to go infinite.
That is pretty bonkers and pretty easy to achieve too, especially since cost reduction will work to accelerate harnfel already. Oof.

I've been dying for a reason to play Ghirapur Orrery also as I love that card. It was super fun in friendly casual Gitrog :P

darrenhabib

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Sensei's Divining Top can be continuously used to draw a card and then recast Top with Harnfel. For each you'll net digging deeper into your deck. Any cost reduction will allow you to go infinite.
That is pretty bonkers and pretty easy to achieve too, especially since cost reduction will work to accelerate harnfel already. Oof.

I've been dying for a reason to play Ghirapur Orrery also as I love that card. It was super fun in friendly casual Gitrog :P
Just as a thought Birgi (as the front side) has the way to create the mana to continuously cast Top with Harnfel.
Obviously casting both sides of the card at the same time is tricky.
If you copy Birgi and then use the legendary rule to send back to the command zone you can then cast Harnfel.
The thing is that copy creatures in Red all exile/sacrifice at end step, so you'd literally need to cast everything in the same turn which would be hard to do.
Harnfel would cost 6r because of commander tax and Twinflame is the cheapest copy effect so that is 9 mana minimum to get started.
You can also copy Harnfel with Mirage Mirror or Sculpting Steel for the same type of approach.

Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient can be used to copy Harnfel ability to exile 4 cards for each discard.
Surly Badgersaur is a nice fit.

pokken

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Surly Badgersaur is a nice fit
image.png
Man that's a cool card I didn't realize existed that fits really well with the big red theme. Badgertop combo is lit.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

With all those cards that could languish in exile, you can maybe set up a sick Mirror of Fate play?

When I was playing Jaya, I had a number of graveyard-to-hand phoenixes to keep my advantage up (I think it was Shard Phoenix, Skarrgan Firebird, Firewing Phoenix and Magma Phoenix). OG Squee ahead of these, obviously. Maybe it's worthwhile here?

pokken

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
With all those cards that could languish in exile, you can maybe set up a sick Mirror of Fate play?

When I was playing Jaya, I had a number of graveyard-to-hand phoenixes to keep my advantage up (I think it was Shard Phoenix, Skarrgan Firebird, Firewing Phoenix and Magma Phoenix). OG Squee ahead of these, obviously. Maybe it's worthwhile here?

Def got some phoenixes on my maybe list.

Also kinda thinking about pivoting to some heavy board control enchantments and using fewer dudes since horn isn't a creature.

Feeling like there's no way I can reuse much of the golos she'll unfortunately but some of the dudes are good. Horn seems to want a a lot of artifacts too which is a bit annoying as I wanna.play lots of red cards not discount monobrown..meh..

Gonna be a real balancing act to get right, don't want to end up with a brown combo deck, I wanna play drakuseth and fiery emancipation lol

darrenhabib

Alright I couldn't resist and made my own version of a Harnfel deck. I'll just give a few highlights.
Harnfel playing around casting from hand to muck up opponents with Possibility Storm and Knowledge Pool.
Countering spells with Null Brooch.
Experimental Frenzy for top deck shenanigans.
Squee, Goblin Nabob and Death Spark for discard fuel. Great if you have both because you can discard the Death Spark first and then Squee, Goblin Nabob to get the criteria each turn.
Krark, the Thumbless can be used when you cast instant/sorcery from exile and if you lose the flips then they'll go to your hand for potential discard fuel.
Bomat Courier for card draw.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Toshi wrote:
3 years ago
Bag of Holding is straight up cheating
is it me or is Library of Leng kinda too? discard a card, play it for free off the top then play the next one too if you want? :P Pretty dope callout. Thanks!

Oh no, library probably doesn't work with paying costs.
So with all the complaining about the inclusion of outside IP....are you going to play Bag of Holding or what?

:laugh:

pokken

umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
So with all the complaining about the inclusion of outside IP....are you going to play Bag of Holding or what?
Absolutely, gotta find one tho :P Didn't open any of that stuff.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”