Living Plane Enchantress deck brainstorming

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Note: Table any discussion for how fun getting your lands Living Plane'd is :)

I have wanted to build a Golgari+ enchantment deck for a long time. I love Doomwake Giant and Living Plane (and I may snake a Nature's Revolt for redundancy). I may run Titania's Song so I can kill all the artifacts too :P

The thoughts I am looking for:

1. What commander? I think BUG or Abzan would probably work best, but open to staying pure Golgari. Pharika, God of Affliction seems potentially cool but difficult to get the required creature count to use the ability myself.

2. What cards have I not heard of that might be sweet?

Tags:

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Am I crazy to think that BRG is the way to go? Red adds mass haste and a ton of sweeper redundancy. Also, Insurrection errybody's lands.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

pokken

Is there a decent set of one-sided damage dealers for red? electrickery? lolllll.

Forgeborn Oreads

Aether Flash to prevent there from being any more lands.

Seismic Assault and Molten Vortex definitely OK. and Outpost Siege.

Makes me wonder if Naya might be worth considering as well since we would really miss Academy Rector. Meh.
Last edited by pokken 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

It's certainly no AcRec, but one of my own pet cards lets you keep swapping enchants and getting those sweet constellation triggers.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Makes me wonder if Naya might be worth considering as well since we would really miss Academy Rector. Meh.
You could just go with the classic Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite in white, too.

pokken

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
You could just go with the classic Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite in white, too.
The synergy between black reanimation enchantments and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite is certainly not lost on me either, yeah.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

Adding Living Plane to my own Pharika enchantments deck is something I've considered over the years but I just haven't bothered with tracking down a copy. I'd probably want to add the usual suite of black tutors to my current decklist to more easily pull it off. Maybe my list is a decent starting point if you want to consider just green-black?

Otherwise, I think GWB is where it is at. You are going for an enchantress deck and white has a lot of great enchantments, it has Enlightened Tutor, Idyllic Tutor, and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, all three of which really help this gameplan. I've never run a GWB deck myself and the color combo isn't super prevalent in my playgroup beyond Kethis, the Hidden Hand (which isn't great for this idea). I don't know that you will have a good commander for the theme, more just to play the colors.

You could flirt with the idea of running Night of Souls' Betrayal, even though it kills your land's too. If you have the best board state you can lock up the game right there (kind of like Null Rod/Mycosynth Lattice). Might be a bit risky though.

The RBG idea does sound interesting too.

Oh, and Titania's Song is definitely a fun card. I've definitely enjoyed using that in a few decks over the years.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

My suggestions are going be in a B/G core, but there will be suggestions in other colours.

Alternatives and Redundancy
Natural Affinity: Is good for a one-shot effect; If you're already planning on using Doomwake giant or otherwise wiping creatures out, NA is just as good as Living Plane.
Life // Death: If you plan on using things that let you abuse your own creature-lands (like Vitalize/Mobilize, or simple overrun stuff), Life is a good one shot at a bargain cost. Death is a bootleg reanimate which could be powerful for something like Elesh or Doomwake.
Sylvan Awakening: A one-shot not unlike Life. Asymmetry means you will probably only want to use this with things where you're trying to profit off your own land-creatures.
Rude Awakening: Is this card still a powerhouse? I don't think it's bad, but it's probably not as good as more recent cards.

My lands are creatures, now what?
Mobilize/Vitalize: These can give you a bit of extra oomph to table your animate gambit + however you plan to punish.
Harvest Season: Once you animate your lands, having tapped creatures is actually really easy.
Gaea's Cradle: There's no way this could go badly.
Xenagos, the Reveler: Kind of another Gaea's Cradle, but locks you into red.
Throne of the God-Pharaoh: This is less exciting when you're using a temporary measure like Life, but it can be a pretty big life swing.
Eldrazi Monument: A creature a turn is a small price to pay for indestructibility, stats, and flying.
Sylvan Advocate: The smallest overrun, but, it's efficient mana-wise.
Pontiff of Blight: You'll probably only extort one spell per turn.

Their lands are creatures, now what?
Eradicate: Exile everything with the same name in a player's library? It could hurt a mono-colour player by exiling all their plains or mountains. (I got the idea from my solution to an old mill puzzle on MTGS.)
Linvala, Keeper of Silence: Another classic alongside Elesh, this will lock people out of the game.
Archfiend of Depravity: Not quite the shutdown Elesh and Linvala give, but still pretty one-sided.
Ezuri's Predation: Costly, but it armageddons your opponents and wins the game on its own.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

I like sylvan advocate

pokken

umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
I like sylvan advocate
Any excuse I can to run that guy I will for sure. Actually killing everybody with your lands feels like living the dream.

Ruiner

I wonder if there might actually be some angle for including blue. Overburden seems obnoxious with Living Plane. There might be other wacky stuff like that.

pokken

Ruiner wrote:
3 years ago
I wonder if there might actually be some angle for including blue. Overburden seems obnoxious with Living Plane. There might be other wacky stuff like that.
And that's how all decks become Golos, Tireless Pilgrim ;)

More seriously I cannot think of an Abzan general that really works for this. That's one thing that leans me toward jund is Lord Windgrace being pretty great for that strategy. Tasigur, the Golden Fang or Kodama of the East Tree plus Thrasios, Triton Hero are pretty good for BUG.

Abzan has minimal enchantress support, really only Tayam, Luminous Enigma and then only awkwardly. I guess I could focus on throwing counters on my lands =P

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Windgrace would be excellent. There's also Kodama East + Vial Smasher the Fierce; VS is a bit out of place mechanically but hey, no reason to say no to her damage output when you're casting your enchants.

Ruiner

Living Plane + Reins of Power + sac outlet to just kill one player's land.

Living Plane + Cultural Exchange is goofy but not worth it probably.

More seriously...

If you were to go with red, Geode Rager is pretty funny and probably effective to some degree with Living Plane in play.

Some of the red temporary mass theft effects like Insurrection would be worth looking at too.

pokken

Kethis, the Hidden Hand might be pretty solid in that there are a number of legendary cards we'd like to play and also very good with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. Hmmmm.

The various blue theft and mass bounce effects might be pretty worth it, thinking about Bant there's a bit of a shortage of effects like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite in those colors. We could pump our lands and make them wrestle everyone else's lands though, with cards like Apex Altisaur being pretty savage also.

A short list of bomb abzan legends (for Kethis) that can abuse or punish living plane (some of which are seriously reaching):

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

As long as you're adding white, Ethereal Absolution is a asymmetric Night of Souls' Betrayal that I run in enchantress. I personally run it with Humility and Titania's Song, but that may not be what you're looking for unless fully creatureless.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

pokken

Crazy Monkey wrote:
3 years ago
As long as you're adding white, Ethereal Absolution is a asymmetric Night of Souls' Betrayal that I run in enchantress. I personally run it with Humility and Titania's Song, but that may not be what you're looking for unless fully creatureless.
Gah Humility is pretty sick tech :) Figuring out how to build an effective enchantment deck around Humility might be a fun challenge though.

Might be an approach although I'd need to think about how to win the game with a Humility + Living Plane lock lol. Might be I could sac Humility and recur it with Hall of Heliod's Generosity potentially I guess =P Although that'd open up instant speed removal for others.

Ruiner

If you go with Kethis and do the usual reanimator angle, Living Death could probably be game ending with enough cards in your own grave. Especially if Sheoldred, Whispering One is one of the reanimated creatures.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

This sounds like its leaning towards Ghave, Guru of Spores stax.

It's been done before by dies_to_doom_blade on salvation here. Without going through card by card and comparing I don't know if this is the same area you're exploring, but there's bound to be food for thought in what was once a really well thought out primer.
Last edited by toctheyounger 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken

I'm super open still just brainstorming!

I think Marath, Will of the Wild could also be a really good option. She so good at killing lands and her stuff synergizes with a lot of enchantments.

pokken

Ruiner wrote:
3 years ago
Oh, if you do include red then people will love it if you drop Burning Sands into play.
ahaha that is pretty darned nasty.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Other cards that can make opponents lands into creatures are Jolrael, Empress of Beasts and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa.
I've used Kamahl, Fist of Krosa many times as a "I dare you to cast a creature wipe" to opponents.

Alternatives for Doomwake could be Archfiend of Ifnir, Ethereal Absolution, Zealous Persecution. Orzhov Pontiff.

Here is an idea for the Commander(s). I played a curses deck with Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist and there is Overwhelming Splendor and Curse of Death's Hold.
The deck was pretty bad unfortunately but you could use this idea and that'll allow you to mix and match with other partners to get into colors you want.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

Abzan's the best colors. Black has several options to femporarily or even permanently hit for -1/-1, or Pestilence. White and green offer mass +1/+1. Green, besides beong necessary, also gives you Kamahl, Fist of Krosa as a (very much inferior) second option. Black and white can search.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”