[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Funniest time I saw this played was when a pubstomper who'd fallen out of the local CEDH meta decided to try and combo with this and Necropotence turn 4. Put his life total down to ~12, whereupon he got run over by spirit tokens and a Boltwing Marauder. One of the better rock-beats-tank moments I've personally seen.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

I do see Citadel now and then but I remember when it got spoiled I expected to see it like every game. Its a good card but I don't see as much of it as I had expected to. I like black but somehow end up not playing that much of it so I think I have only put it in a deck or two in all. It also fits a more proactive play everything concept like aristocrats which I don't tend to play as much.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Melua
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Melua » 2 years ago

It's a card that gets better as your curve does. Some decks like Daxos the Returned really appreciate the mana being freed up for other things than casting spells, and those tend to be way harder to counter. If this sticks, watch out; the game is about to get dumb.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Token decks generally like the other ability. Sac ten d00dz to hit everyone else for ten and trigger Zulaport Cutthroat and friends? Yes please.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

BC is very good. It's also never fun to see played, and if you can't win with it here and now, you're probably dead to the crackback. Give me Necropotence or nothing.

On another note, it is the sweetest tinker target in Vintage. Waaaaay more enjoyable in that format and significantly less tedious to play against.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Bolas's Citadel is Yawgmoth's Bargain mixed with Channel. It combos with Aetherflux Reservoir and Sensei's Divining Top. These are all attributes of FAIR AND/OR REASONABLE cards. Nothing degenerate here whatsoever.

Anyway, Bolas's Citadel is an extremely powerful card in the right situation. It does, however, generally want you to satisfy three criteria:
  • Firstly, you want to either have a low curve or a large life buffer. Similar to Dark Confidant, flipping cheap spells off it is great, while chaining expensive cards can be fairly painful, and will force you to stop using it fairly quickly.
  • Secondly, you want some way to manage the top of your deck. This is important for two reasons: the primary reason is to clear lands off the top of your deck, since you'll otherwise be stopped from casting more spells. The other reason is that it prevents running into dead cards such as counterspells, or just spells you don't want to cast (such as X spells for X=0, or board wipes when you have a full board).
  • Thirdly, you want to have some way to ensure that you'll live another turn (assuming you aren't winning immediately). Playing it with an empty board is an invitation for every opponent to attack you with everything they have, so having blockers (or a board wipe, or a fog, or whatever) is usually necessary if you want to use it over multiple turns. Obviously, if you're winning the turn you play it, this is less necessary, and the reason why it is often stronger in cEDH / Vintage decks.
I tested it for a while in my Teysa deck, but it ran into issues with point #2 - it was usually only able to play 2-3 cards off the top before running into a land or something else I didn't want to play. Still could be good, but '3BBB, pay 10 life and then be attacked for another 20: draw 4 cards' is... not exactly exciting. I may add it back someday if I find myself running a lot more lifegain, but that is unlikely to be any time soon. I also have a copy that I'm considering running in my Sharuum deck (since reanimating it seems sweet), but I'm currently too amused by The Magic Mirror, which is currently occupying that slot. Again, will swap it in if I ever find myself wanting to mix things up a bit / make the deck a bit more competitive.

Fun fact: Bolas's Citadel didn't originally have its sacrifice ability. It was added later in development as a way to close out games faster - if you flip 10 free cards off it, you've effectively already won the game, so stalling out the game further is largely just a waste of time.

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

I may have overestimated how strong Bolas's Citadel is, because when it was released I was convinced it'd eat a ban fairly quickly. The card gets gross extremely quickly and is abusable as all get-out.

That said, I haven't seen it played as much as I expected, and often people don't seem to be pairing it with the effects that are most broken with it (extra land drops in particular is really good). It's a good card, for sure, and I think that a world exists where it could eat a ban-hammer, but the format has just so many degenerate things to do these days that it hardly seems to matter.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Recently a friend of mine made a social experiment deck and one of the moves he likes to pull is swapping control of this card to an opponent just to see if that opponent gets themself killed trying to abuse this card without even having been prepared to run this card in the first place. That's the only time seeing this card ever made me smile.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Saturday, January 22nd 2022; Goblin Cratermaker

Well I for one welcome are little eldrazi killing explodey boi.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

The Citadel I run in Aminatou topdeck manipulation (because it fiddles with the top of my deck) and in Nicol Bolas control (because it's his citadel). It raises eyebrows for sure, but it's more likely to get blown up than do anything truly broken in either case. Closer to Future Sight than to Necropotence in both cases, which is a pretty odd use case for the Citadel.

Goblin Cratemaker, as I, compulsive punster that I am, like to call him, can be quite good anywhere that wants goblins, warriors, or sac fodder. Can always use more artifact hate, and the fact that he also hits other things is pure bonus upside. Is good card.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Pretty good impression of Qasali Pridemage (a card I believe is now outclassed by Outland Liberator // Frenzied Trapbreaker and Cathar Commando). Instead of hitting enchantments it shocks a creature.
Great creature types.
I would auto-include in a mono-red tribal deck (warriors or goblins).
If it is a mono-red deck with no specific synergies I would probably play Abrade first.
And in multicolor decks you really have to start questioning if this is worth it. Maybe a UR deck since it helps deal with two types of permanents you would otherwise need to counter or bounce.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Mookie

Goblin Cratermaker is a flexible card - it can be cashed in to kill small creatures, most artifacts, and other colorless permanents, such as Eldrazi. The last bit is probably the most interesting use case, since Red otherwise lacks many ways to deal with high-toughness creatures. Could definitely be a reasonable meta call if you expect to run into lot of them.

I could see myself running Cratermaker in a deck with goblin or sacrifice synergies, such as Krenko, Mob Boss or Korvold, Fae-Cursed King. Outside those decks, I'm a bit less excited. Cratermaker's flexibility means it has a high floor, but the ceiling is also pretty low - outside the niche case of killing an Eldrazi, it's going to be a worse Abrade most of the time. I would prefer something like Vandalblast, or even Embereth Shieldbreaker // Battle Display, depending on the deck.

hyalopterouslemur

Hey, this hits Eldrazi Conscription, From Beyond, Molten Nursery, and Visions of Brutality.

Definitely a little Eldrazi killing explodey boi. And that (and the usual synergies) makes him worth the extra cost compared to Seal of Fire.

@Dunharrow: To be fair, Pridemage still has value in exalted, but that's about it.

3drinks

Sunday, January 23rd, 2022; Avenging Druid

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

You know how you get revenge? Land ramp, that's how.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie

....huh, I don't think I've seen this card before. I've looked at Centaur Rootcaster before for my Samut, Voice of Dissent deck, which has a small combat damage / combat trigger theme to take advantage of her ability to grant haste. Avenging Druid looks to be a significantly better version of this effect - it costs a mana less, and filling the graveyard is pretty nice. That said, it's hard to justify including either when Wood Elves and Farhaven Elf exist - it seems unlikely that you'll be able to get 2+ triggers off it, especially given that it has no evasion. It might be worth consideration if you have a more dedicated saboteur deck? It could be interesting in Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa.

3drinks

Oh you guys.

You're not playing this for the land, you're playing this for the hermit druid effect. I can't believe this was the same block.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Oh you guys.

You're not playing this for the land, you're playing this for the hermit druid effect. I can't believe this was the same block.
Well, unless you've already used Mana Severance, why?

DirkGently

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Oh you guys.

Playing no basics is trivially easy.

Playing no lands at all is technically possible but not realistically viable in any deck afaik.

Add getting a non-evasive 3-drop through combat is also a lot harder than activating HD.

This dude is ok as repeated ramp with some light mill if you can make him evasive. But he's not a combo enabler.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

He's not a *good* combo enabler. I have absolutely seen people try to go off with sillier Trench Gorger combos back in '13 or so. People can and do spend the entire game pursuing a combo that is objectively slower and more vulnerable than random creature beats.

Mookie

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Playing no lands at all is technically possible but not realistically viable in any deck afaik.
I'll call out the fact that there are 30 MDFC cards that are only a land on the backside (ex: Agadeem's Awakening // Agadeem, the Undercrypt), which has made playing zero lands significantly more viable. Throw in free / cheap mana rocks like Mana Crypt and it's possible to play a viable manabase. Not necessarily a good one - you'll have to play a 5C deck with no dual lands - but it's a thing you technically can do.

...that said, Avenging Druid still isn't the enabler you'll want for the deck - Balustrade Spy / Hermit Druid are miles ahead, or you could just run Goblin Charbelcher.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I love this green Ophidian.
Don't have a deck for it

But very cool.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago

I'll call out the fact that there are 30 MDFC cards that are only a land on the backside (ex: Agadeem's Awakening // Agadeem, the Undercrypt), which has made playing zero lands significantly more viable. Throw in free / cheap mana rocks like Mana Crypt and it's possible to play a viable manabase. Not necessarily a good one - you'll have to play a 5C deck with no dual lands - but it's a thing you technically can do.

...that said, Avenging Druid still isn't the enabler you'll want for the deck - Balustrade Spy / Hermit Druid are miles ahead, or you could just run Goblin Charbelcher.
Oh right, I spaced the MDFCs. I concur with your assessment.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

Monday, January 24th, 2022; Hunted Wumpus

Who wants to play with the wumpus?! Can you balance it without, say, Containment Priest?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Monday, January 24th, 2022; Hunted Wumpus

Who wants to play with the wumpus?! Can you balance it without, say, Containment Priest?
I had a casual deck for a while with the Wumpus, Iwamori of the Open Fist, Weird Harvest and Gilded Drake. Pains me to think I had 4 gilded drakes and sold them as bulk. But so it goes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”