[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Its a fairly niche tool, yes, but I've seen it do good work before. If Krenko is in your meta I'd recommend giving this a whirl.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
You see, I like to use it with Humility.
Came here to say this. The most fun you can have with this card :cool:
Kidding of course. But today its probably one of the more tame ways to lock the board if your playing Superfriends or creature light control builds.

I like the other interactions a fair bit better.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

When you've had enough of Elfball.

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

I think this is why I'm not allowed to play Living Plane.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Re: 2-mana rocks, you forgot diamonds and Coldsteel Heart. Monocolor decks tend to run those a lot. Even two-color decks can. Once you get to three colors, they're less useful. There's also medallions, but I see those mostly in Winter Orb Stax (e.g. Grand Arbiter Augustin IV) and storm. I did start seeing familiars more before COVID cut my Magic career down to Zoom calls with friends.
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I always think that this card is going to be great and it's always dead for me. making their dragons 6/6s instead of 7/7s or rotting in my hand.
It's intended as a token hoser. It's very good in that regard. I get trade volume (creatures entering or dying) but little else. I can't count creatures, attack or block with with creatures, do damage with creatures, or tap creatures as a cost (e.g., Earthcraft, Glare of Subdual) if most of my creaturea. die from zero toughness. Pandemonium and Warstorm Surge are useless if my new creatures have zero power. Cathars' Crusade loses a lot of its deadliness with fewer creatures out; an Increasing Devotion with Crusade out is five Titan-sized bodies and a +5/+5 to all pre-existing creatures on your side of the table; now it's just the +5/+5. And you have fewer creatures.

There are a few ways to avoid this. Anthems, tribal lords, and cards like Lumithread Field and Leyline of Vitality give you the necessary toughness boost. Or just play Grave Pact bro, make everyone regret one guy's decision.

It's anti-elfball for the same reason.

Now how token decks can turn it to their advantage? Remember what I said about anthems? One of them and Living Plane. The "nice" (but even more ludocrously unbalanced when you pull if off) option is Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, leaving them with, at most, one land at any time. Alternatively, any anthem, this, and March of Souls will mean you get all the usual "cards I'm already using" perks of MOS (which basically gives 1/1 tokens flying and a couple minutes' worth of triggers) and they get nothing.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Thursday, July 29th, 2021; Chitterspitter

I miss when cute one card engines like this made the format so fun.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

What kind of green card engine is this?! Where's the card draw and the randomly tacked on life gain?! And you have to tap it to activate it?! Was this a white card that got accidentally printed as a green card?!

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

It's at the intersection of {b/g} "circle of life" and {g/w} "strength in numbers".

Also, how many green card draw engines are there? I can only think of like, three off the top of my head. (Greater Good, Symbiotic Deployment, and Psychotrope Thallid) I guess Fecundity and Skullmulcher, but the latter just looks weak next to Shamanic Revelation.

This isn't even really an engine. Necro is an engine; this is more akin to Phyrexian Arena.

Also, I see we've moved from "green doesn't get card draw" to "Symbiotic Deployment is basically Necro meets Azami". Stage 2: Anger. Huzzah!

That said, I do like this concept. Sac to get anthems. We also saw it in Eldrazi Monument, where you just get one anfhem and a couple choice (especially for tokens) keywords but you have to continually sac.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

As value engines go I like what this can do. That being said your mileage may vary based on how well value engines work in your playgroup. Bonus points for how this interacts with counter doubling or proliferate.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Outcryqq wrote:
2 years ago
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
Also, how many green card draw engines are there? I can only think of like, three off the top of my head. (Greater Good, Symbiotic Deployment, and Psychotrope Thallid) I guess Fecundity and Skullmulcher, but the latter just looks weak next to Shamanic Revelation.
-snip-
Sylvan Library, The Great Henge come to mind.
Beast Whisperer Guardian Project Elemental Bond Soul of the Harvest

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Outcryqq wrote:
2 years ago
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
-snip-
Sylvan Library, The Great Henge come to mind.
Beast Whisperer Guardian Project Elemental Bond Soul of the Harvest
Garruk's Uprising is on the list as well Primordial Sage too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Garruk's Uprising is on the list as well Primordial Sage too.
Lets mention a couple more just for fun. Toski, Bearer of Secrets Keeper of Fables Colossal Majesty Abzan Beastmaster

Heck why stop there Argothian Enchantress Verduran Enchantress Enchantress's Presence. It ain't easy being green. You have so many ways to draw cards you have to cut the bad ones.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
It ain't easy being green. You have so many ways to draw cards** you have to cut the bad ones.
** ramp
** prevent interaction
** interact
** kill the table

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Welcome to why I stopped playing green.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Oh, good, it only pumps Squirrels I control. My Liege of the Hollows tokens will reign supreme over my opponents'.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Now it doesn't even take 15 squirrels to kill emrakul…
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Oh, good, it only pumps Squirrels I control. My Liege of the Hollows tokens will reign supreme over my opponents'.
Why the hell is this jank $30?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Why the hell is this jank $30?
The obvious answer is the Reserved List... but if you dig a bit deeper, you'll discover that most people in MTG finance are actually a bunch of squirrels in a trench coat. Or, alternatively, a raccoon lizard bird in a trench coat.

Anyway, Chitterspitter seems like an obvious inclusion for many squirrel tribal decks - it's a bit more efficient than Acorn Catapult, and can also act as an anthem. If you're doing a more generic token deck, it's still fine, but not that more impressive than Awakening Zone or From Beyond. I guess it also works with artifact synergies and sacrifice synergies like Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest... but I'd stick with the Eldrazi options most of the time, unless I specifically needed green tokens.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Sometimes I pick up crummy tribal cards for an eventual payoff. LotH was one of them (partly because of RL and partly MH2).

Here's hoping Greatbow Doyen and Pheres-Band Warchief get friends by MH5.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Thursday, July 29th, 2021; Chitterspitter

I miss when cute one card engines like this made the format so fun.
I find myself often disagreeing with you 3drinks, but on this opinion I whole heartedly agree. I haven't really even considered this for Changeling Tribal because it just looks way too slow. That saddens me because this card is pretty hilarious. That art is really funny to me. The effect seems real solid for several different strategies too.

3drinks

Friday, July 30th, 2021; Siege Elemental

I'd be okay if someone wanted to bring this.

@Feyd_Ruin I see our database doesn't include mystery booster test cards either. 🤔

Siege Elemental 4rr

Creature — Elemental

Trample

Untapped creatures can't block.

Tapped creatures can block.
6/6

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

I think it's a stretch to call Siege an element, giggle. reminds me of Masako the Humorless!

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

If this were real, I think it'd see non-zero play...but also not a ton of play.

By base Colossal Dreadmaw isn't really playable unless youre in a 50% meta playing tribal. However, the ability is interesting - when you play it it's an interesting "gotcha", allowing you to potentially swing in unimpeded at someone who thought they were safe and then still have "blockers". Bedlam is at 1500 decks, so I suspect this would be similar, maybe a bit more. But ultimately, once its out everyone's on to the game - it heavily punishes Wall decks (at least, Wall Decks that aren't on High Alert); this could effectively be a 6/6 Trampler with "when this EtB, creature's can't block this turn and your creatures gain vigilance this turn" and be functionally the same in mooooost games.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”