[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

Very strong card, but it feels too much like generic goodstuff to me, so I haven't had it in a deck for a while, despite owning a copy. Maybe if I ever build Sphinx tribal like I occasionally idly consider, I'll include it, but otherwise, nah. Haven't seen it in anyone else's hands for years, either, but when I did, it usually got removed fast. Of course, it helps that any table with me at it has at least one player running a bunch of removal, so the largest threats don't tend to hang around too long. All in all, a solid card, but not one I'm terribly afraid of.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I remember letting one live for ages because I could tell the guys deck was trash and it would attract the wrath of the table while pulling heat off me. Worked like a charm, they got attacked to death, and as usual phelddagrif swooped in for a clean win. It was definitely a lesson in how letting things get seemingly out of control can be very useful.

I don't think I've ever played it. As others have said, it's too goodstuffy.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

Draws way too many cards to be a good experience for the table. If the table doesn't have an instant removal at hand, you already replace it with two cards next turn and likely more after a round.
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
Strong but fair, at least compared to Alms Collector and friends. Cards like Augury Adept and Necropotence and Commune with Lava laugh at this, while Sylvan Library and Brainstorm cry themselves to sleep.
I haven't seen Alms Collector and Augury Adept in a while, not sure how they're stronger than Sphinx here.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Its a crazy strong card but its sort of offset by the need to defend it or just accept the first removal spell that comes for it. Defending it can be expensive on top of casting it in the same turn given it costs six to cast but its doable. The more instant and cheap interaction a meta runs though generally the worse it becomes given that its quite a bit of mana to cast and try to protect it.

I haven't played with it much lately mostly just because I haven't been on much of a blue control concept kick of late. My blue decks lately have been sort of aggro themed which has put me in a stranger spot in trying to run C Sphinx as it hasn't fit what my deck has been trying to do largely. You can totally still yolo it but your meta will sort of dictate how good or bad of an idea that is.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

Consecrated Sphinx doesn't ETB. It's fair game.
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I remember letting one live for ages because I could tell the guys deck was trash and it would attract the wrath of the table while pulling heat off me. Worked like a charm, they got attacked to death, and as usual phelddagrif swooped in for a clean win. It was definitely a lesson in how letting things get seemingly out of control can be very useful.

I don't think I've ever played it. As others have said, it's too goodstuffy.
That's great strategy. I wished people appreciated this more.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Tuesday, July 20th, 2021; Thrun, the Last Troll

I still have fond memories of my old Thrun deck. Oh Ring of Kalonia, humble you are...

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

I've never played against, or with Thrun, so I don't know how good or bad he can be. I assume he does good in metas that phased our mass removal, however my meta never did, so hexproof threats were only mildly effective. Good Voltron commander in mono green if that's what you are looking for. Or if you like Trolls.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Thrun is one helluva mutate target. Regeneration and Hexproof definitely helps keep your creature stack around.

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 2 years ago

Nice abilities and stats but I never saw one yet in my playgroups. Maybe it was forgotten and wait to its return. Mutate really might be a way.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Thrun is one helluva mutate target. Regeneration and Hexproof definitely helps keep your creature stack around.
Even in metas that didn't phase out mass removal, the fact that he regenerates is extremely relevant. Wrath, Damnation, Hallowed Burial (tucks), mass exile or mass 'bury' effects like wrath will get him, but Day of Judgement, Supreme Verdict, Austere Command and many other widely played Wraths do not.

Thrun was a premier Voltron commander in his day. He's still one of the better ones, but Voltron has just gotten worse relative to the format. Rift really hurt Voltron because it's an instant speed answer that dgaf about hexproof or indestructibility or regeneration, and was/is highly played. I'm happy with that, Voltron in it's heyday was focused on being as noninteractive as possible, and that wasn't very fun. With more ways to answer it, and the format shifting to require more early answers generally, it's harder for Voltron to actually be uninteractive, as even Thrun can be answered at instant speed and a deck that doesn't pack it's own interaction is going to be at a severe disadvantage so you can't just load up with nothing but equipment and auras. Voltron has, as a result, gotten more fun to play and play against.

Also, hexproof will always be troll shroud.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

Thrun, the Last Troll
I rocked him hard in my Melira Pod sideboard back in the day in modern.
In EDH, I have him in my Nethroi, Apex of Death list. He's ok there - my mutate bases that come down earlier, like Will-o'-the-Wisp, are probably better, but he's still strong.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Back when commander tuck was a thing I really loved Thrun as a commander as you could only get tucked by the white sweepers (or I guess if someone removed his hexproof which hasn't ever been that common). It was a lot harder to build around a commander back then as it was a lot harder to retain access to them between clones and tuck. I don't know that there are many places I would include him in the 99 but he has some unique elements to him that can be still decent against control decks given how many things he denies interaction to him with.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I used Thrun for many years in The Mimeoplasm because his abilities were great for the commander and he wasn't terrible in play or reanimated if I went that route. He's not bad really and mono-G creatures don't get a lot more durable than this.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Strictly less funny than Autumn Willow.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Okay, what was he silent about? Also, yeah, for when you absolutely need that card to stick; my fondest memories of him involve Eldrazi Conscription. Too bad Voltron is like, tier 2.5 at best these days.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

Probably stronger in my hands than in the hands of someone playing against me -- I'm one of the few in my group known to stick to anti-regen wraths fairly religiously. Fairly boring all in all, though -- only thing he does is be hard to kill, and he isn't even a particularly old or obscure card to add that appeal. Solid enough, I guess, though.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
Okay, what was he silent about?
The events of the original Mirrodin block and what was going to happen to Mirrodin. Yeah, for being one of the "wise" trolls of Mirrodin, Thrun is kind of an idiot.

DirkGently

I remember seeing him once or twice back in the day. He's gotten harder and harder to kill as new wraths omit the non-regen clause. That said, merely being hard to kill isn't the be-all-end-all for a voltron deck. I think the biggest weakness is actually his color - voltron plays very poorly into mono-green's strengths. You've got very few ways to effectively control the board while assembling your slow wincon, very few ways to protect your equipment, no tutors for almost any of the things you want.

To my mind, having made quite a few voltron decks, what you want is to usually go one of two directions:
1) have some sort of insane burst that will one-shot people out of nowhere, i.e. the Bruna, Light of Alabaster route.
2) have a really nasty control deck using voltron as a durable finisher/value engine.

Thrun sucks at both of these - for 1, he has no ability to tutor for the right equipment, no built-in evasion, no way to cheat costs... so you've basically gotta natural into a strong setup and it's still relatively slow. For 2, green just doesn't have the sweepers to control the board reliably, at best you've got a bunch of fight-type spells which are all pretty clunky and require Thrun to not be answered.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Wednesday, July 21st, 2021; Faceless Haven

Oh hey, it's the card that got The Book of Exalted Deeds temporarily banned for a few months because "it's too strong of an interaction for Standard for 3www" :x

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently

I think the ban was less about being OP and more about it being difficult to resolve in digital. IRL if 2 opponents each set it up they can agree it's a tie. In digital it's more "who quits first?"

Anyway, even with changeling it's not a very interesting card for commander. 3 mana to activate a manland is kind of a ton, we've got a lot of cheaper options and don't usually care about the p/t too much.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

(just an interaction that proves Pillage should always be in print. Universally flavourful, correctly costed dense red so it can't come off a Llanowar Elf turn two without good duals etc, just make it happen and stop being squeamish about single target LD lol)

I love all manlands cos I love equipment and anthems and they just gel perfectly into a deck that tries to control the creature board. this one has a very complicated mathematical formula attached to it where you have to think about snow, and that makes deck design more exciting and harder to perfect so it's the best designed manland along with Frostwalk Bastion, breaking ahead cos it has a thousand miscellaneous synergies with lords. best card ever basically

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 2 years ago

Mutavault only costs to activate. In abstract +2/+1 and Vigilance for 2 more mana is a fair price, but in practice that's basically trinket text.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

I guess I could slot this into some of my tribal decks but that activation cost is rough. Great art though.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

The_Hittite wrote:
2 years ago
Mutavault only costs to activate. In abstract +2/+1 and Vigilance for 2 more mana is a fair price, but in practice that's basically trinket text.
Vigilance on a mainland isn't trinket text, it's very relevant. It makes turning it into a creature cost just 3 snow instead of functionally 4, because if it survives combat you can tap it for Mana second main phase. Mutavault functionally costs 2 to activate, the 1 in its cost and the 1 you lose from not being able to tap it for Mana if you attack with it. In practice, if it survives combat, this is really only one more Mana than Mutavault, though it's all snow which makes it harder.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Faceless Haven, like most manlands, is an interesting card. There are a lot of reasons to run manlands - as a mana sink in the lategame, as an extra threat / way to pressure planeswalkers in a creature-light deck, as a way to carry equipment post-wrath... I don't hate Mutavault as a cheap way to get an extra body for tribal synergies. I'm not entirely convinced that running Faceless Haven over Mutavault is worth it, outside dedicated snow decks. An extra 2/1 of stats and vigilance are fine (especially since vigilance effectively shaves a mana off its activation cost), but I feel like most of the reasons you would want Mutavault are for body and typing, and not the stats. Faceless Haven is also more difficult to activate due to requiring snow mana, which will often limit it to a monocolor deck or another deck with a snow-heavy manabase.

...on the other hand, if you're running Jorn, God of Winter // Kaldring, the Rimestaff or another snow-centric deck, including Faceless Haven obviously goes up in value. Still, I'm not sure what tribal decks run snow-heavy manabases. I do like that it's a cheap Polymorph target, at least - seems like a solid inclusion for Jalira, Master Polymorphist.

The The Book of Exalted Deeds combo is a thing, but as discussed elsewhere, I don't think it's amazing - people run land destruction in their decks, so it's unlikely to win the game on its own. I suppose it's not bad for stalling until you can get more defensive layers online, at least.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”