[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Leonin Shikari

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
As an aside, I'm pretty sure he's in 2nd place for most reiterated legendary character that isn't a planeswalker. I think Niv-Mizzet takes gold.
I believe Omnath and Niv are tied, at four versions each. Teysa, Neheb, and Rakdos are next, at three each. There are probably a few other legendary characters with 3+ versions, but none I can think off the top of my head.
I guess technically Jeska, Warrior Adept, Jeska, Thrice Reborn, and Phage the Untouchable is another 3-of. Although one is a planeswalker version.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
As an aside, I'm pretty sure he's in 2nd place for most reiterated legendary character that isn't a planeswalker. I think Niv-Mizzet takes gold.
I believe Omnath and Niv are tied, at four versions each. Teysa, Neheb, and Rakdos are next, at three each. There are probably a few other legendary characters with 3+ versions, but none I can think off the top of my head.
I guess technically Jeska, Warrior Adept, Jeska, Thrice Reborn, and Phage the Untouchable is another 3-of. Although one is a planeswalker version.
Four, perhaps, depending on how you count Karona, False God.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Jemolk wrote:
2 years ago
Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago

Four, perhaps, depending on how you count Karona, False God.
If we're counting Karona, then Akroma is also tied at four, with Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Akroma, Angel of Fury, and Akroma, Vision of Ixidor. Arguably five, if we count Akroma's Memorial (although that's a bit of a stretch due to not being a creature)

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 2 years ago

4 color omnath is a stupid design that should never have existed.

Embercleave on the other hand is a fantastic source of damage. I find it comparable to the swords of XY, but instead of protection you get flash and instead of triggers you just get a ridiculous increase in damage output.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Tuesday, July 27th, 2021; Midnight Clock

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Tuesday, July 27th, 2021; Midnight Clock
Probably unpopular because you couldn't be a prick to people with Hullbreacher, this card belongs in most decks that want to draw-7 back up. Since it's each upkeep, it usually triggers pretty fast.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I love this card just because the flavor is so cool! It's been fine for me. There's been several times that I have still had 3-4 cards in hand when it hit 12 and my new hand was worse than my old. Getting rid of your graveyard can also be a pretty serious downside.

All that being said, the floor of a mana-rock that eventually refills your hand is really solid. Probably doesn't hold up super well in extremely powerful metas when 3 drop rocks aren't nearly as good.

Extra points for being a man-rock that Trophy Mage can search up.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Gives me Majora's Mask anxiety.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

Midnight Clock
I really like this card from a flavor perspective. It also is pretty good in my Thassa sea monsters deck. For monetary cost to in-game value ratio, it's pretty awesome!

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Huh I've never seen this before but it certainly deserves inclusion in Locust God. I like the design a lot and the payoff for playing an over costed rock is solid since in theory you'll be fully untapped when the wheel hits.

Mookie

Midnight Clock is sweet - it's ramp in the early game and card draw later on. It's obviously vulnerable to disruption, and it's possible for the self-wheel to come at an inconvenient time, but that's not bad for a three-drop. I've thrown it in my Thada deck, but I don't think I've actually drawn it yet. That said, I do like the idea of it - it's a ramp deck that sometimes ends up empty-handed, so cashing in some early ramp for cards sounds great. That deck has almost no recursion, so shuffling stuff back into the deck can also be nice.

(obviously better now that it can't be Hullbreacher'd)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

The mana rocks were some of the few things I liked from Eldraine. Both this and Heraldic Banner offer interesting enough upsides to be worth considering, without trying to compete directly with signets and talismans for speed. I hope we get more designs in this space.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

I currently play it in my Keruga, the Macrosage deck as one of the 9 permeant ramp sources at 3 cmc as it allows me to really just help refill my hand not once but twice with Keruga.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

The card is excellent. I definitely need it for at least 2 decks.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

It certainly gives you a reason to run a mana rock that costs more than 2 mana these days.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Seems fine. People have raved about this card to me and honestly I can't see a good reason that its an auto include anywhere. It seems alright, but not stellar.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

BeneTleilax

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Seems fine. People have raved about this card to me and honestly I can't see a good reason that its an auto include anywhere. It seems alright, but not stellar.
It's not an auto-include, that's the point. It offers a viable (at least at most people's power level) replacement for the standard 2-mana rocks, without superseding them as a must-have. It's like how people all fell in love with Dawnbringer Cleric during previews. It's an interesting side-grade that allows decks to further distinguish themselves, in a slot usually reserved for generic staples.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
The mana rocks were some of the few things I liked from Eldraine. Both this and Heraldic Banner offer interesting enough upsides to be worth considering, without trying to compete directly with signets and talismans for speed. I hope we get more designs in this space.
I also liked the other one, The Great Henge. So, it's easily just 2gg or less in this format, tap for gg and 2 life, and kinda breaks things like Reassbling Skeleton and Kitchen Finks when you cantrip pretty cheaply.

Thing is, mana cost can't go down, so you need benefits to make mana rocks interesting.

For this one, the hour counters are a nice effect. Once you have one, you can proliferate. The real issue is the delayed gratification. I mean, it is an artifact, but that just makes it more vulnerable to a ton of Stax cards that normally need a Mycosynth Lattice. (Null Rod, Aura Shards, Martyr's Bond) You'll be protecting this from anyone playing any colors other than black a lot. And of course, a one-sided Timetwister is such a threat as to suggest some "player removal", if you catch my drift.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

BeneTleilax

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
I also liked the other one, The Great Henge. So, it's easily just 2gg or less in this format, tap for gg and 2 life, and kinda breaks things.
Great Henge is an auto-include. It's another dumb, do-everything green value engine that draws you cards for what you were already doing anyways, while ramping you and buffing your creatures. It homogenizes slots across decks, taking the place of a mana-rock, anthem or draw engine.
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
The real issue is the delayed gratification. I mean, it is an artifact, but that just makes it more vulnerable to a ton of Stax cards that normally need a Mycosynth Lattice. (Null Rod, Aura Shards, Martyr's Bond) You'll be protecting this from anyone playing any colors other than black a lot. And of course, a one-sided Timetwister is such a threat as to suggest some "player removal", if you catch my drift.
It has to be a pretty sparse boardstate for this to be at the top of anyone's mind to remove. Restocking your hand, while nice, isn't terrifying, and it exiles, so it's not like you can loop it for storm nonsense. The fact that you knocked this for raising a player's threat profile in the same post that you praised Henge indicates truly peculiar threat assessment.

Mookie

Something I'll call out is that while the two mana ramp slot is extremely crowded, most of the options feel almost identical - the difference between signets vs talismans vs Mind Stone vs Fellwar Stone is pretty negligible. There are a few more interesting / niche options (ex: Thought Vessel, Guardian Idol), but the amount of additional value you can stick on a two mana rock that taps to produce mana is pretty small. I'll call out the lack of two mana rocks in Standard as a symptom of this - the base power level is already high enough to cause problems, at least in WotC's eyes.

On the other hand, Manalith is a pretty weak card, which means you can throw a lot of value on it. Commander's Sphere cantrips, Worn Powerstone and Coalition Relic ramp even more, Bonder's Ornament draws cards, Heraldic Banner is an anthem... there's a lot of diversity in the three mana ramp slot, with different options going in different decks, and I think that's neat.

I'll call out that something similar happened when WotC decided to stop printing four mana wraths (Day of Judgement / Wrath of God / Damnation / Supreme Verdict) - we saw a bunch of five mana wraths with interesting upsides printed, like Tragic Arrogance, Cleansing Nova, Time Wipe, and Doomskar, plus cheaper conditional wraths like Dusk // Dawn and Citywide Bust. The four mana vanilla options are still probably the strongest in a vacuum, but the more varied ones allow for a lot more synergies.

...anyway, in a similar vein Midnight Clock, I've also been meaning to test out Cursed Mirror - it also looks very entertaining, and has some very relevant upsides for certain decks. Maybe it's just a sign that I'm a big fan of colored artifacts.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

The clock is cool, I guess, but I'm always wary of wheels. Never really been a big fan of them. Probably related to being more of a control player and liking to hoard resources in hand. That said, I should probably try it in one or two of my decks that can occasionally just run out of steam and spin their wheels for extended periods.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Wednesday, July 28th, 2021; Night of Souls' Betrayal

Well....it combos with Vhati il-Dal, to give you something off the beaten path, at least.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

also combos with Grismold, the Dreadsower :3 I love that combo okay

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I always think that this card is going to be great and it's always dead for me. making their dragons 6/6s instead of 7/7s or rotting in my hand.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

You see, I like to use it with Humility. If my removal tribal deck can do well for itself without using creatures then why can't you? :3c

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”