[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Runechanter's Pike

Wallycaine
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Obviously in an etb deck, whether it blinks or enhances the quantity of etb triggers (a la Yarok) then sure, getting two tutours off a card is great. Wait is it? Don't you lose the trigger on resolution if you didn't exploit?
Exploit is an ETB trigger, so it'll trigger twice with yarok in play. As long as Sidisi is in play when both exploit triggers resolve (Aka you don't sacrifice her to the first one), and you sacrifice something to each she'll trigger twice and get you 2 tutors.

As far as the comparison with Rune-Scarred Demon goes, 2 mana is a pretty big difference, even at the cost of sacrificing a dude. There's a reason Diabolic Intent is considered better than Diabolic Tutor.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

I agree with everything said about the tutoring, but a few other huge points in Sidisi's favor are...

- I actually think 4/6 Deathtouch is better stats than 5/5 flying in the average Commander game. A 5/5 Flyer is fine but just fine in most games, wheras a 4/6 Deathtouch is nearly as likely to connect if I'm in a knock-down, drag-out brawl while also being near-guaranteed to eat something on defense.

- All things being equal, Zombie is a more useful typeline than Demon as it gives Sidisi a home both at the helm of a Zombie deck as well as in the 99 of Varina, Grimgrin, Gisa and Geralf, or Scarab God tribal decks.

I don't actually run Sidisi anywhere despite this - at the end of the day, as good as Diabolic Intent on a stick is...I own actual copies of Diabolic Intent and Demonic Tutor. But if it was important to me to get a tutor on a stick, I think I'd take this over Rune-scarred in 9/10 decks.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Obviously in an etb deck, whether it blinks or enhances the quantity of etb triggers (a la Yarok) then sure, getting two tutours off a card is great. Wait is it? Don't you lose the trigger on resolution if you didn't exploit?
Exploit is an ETB trigger, so it'll trigger twice with yarok in play. As long as Sidisi is in play when both exploit triggers resolve (Aka you don't sacrifice her to the first one), and you sacrifice something to each she'll trigger twice and get you 2 tutors.

As far as the comparison with Rune-Scarred Demon goes, 2 mana is a pretty big difference, even at the cost of sacrificing a dude. There's a reason Diabolic Intent is considered better than Diabolic Tutor.
Wouldn't it have to exploit again though? I remember this being such a contested issue, and it's been ages since I a sleeved Sidisi up. Like, people trying to work it as you describe and getting caught in that "gotcha" moment. It may be another effect...but I seem to keep recalling this with exploit, because of how it's written.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Wallycaine

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago

Wouldn't it have to exploit again though? I remember this being such a contested issue, and it's been ages since I a sleeved Sidisi up. Like, people trying to work it as you describe and getting caught in that "gotcha" moment. It may be another effect...but I seem to keep recalling this with exploit, because of how it's written.
That's why I said you'd have to sacrifice something to each exploit trigger. You're getting two Diabolic Intents, and you've got to sacrifice for both of them, but you do get both.

3drinks

That's what I thought, you have to fulfil them both. Not that Yarok doesn't have a hundred elvish visionaries, fblthp, and mulldrifters over there to pitch to it, but it's still at least some kind of cost.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Friday, May 22nd, 2020; Sidisi, Undead Vizier

So, like what do we got here? The premiere MBC commander but realistically, getting a 5, then 7 diabolic tutour isn't all that great. In fact you can already do this with Increasing Ambition, and we know how much play that card sees........

So why this? Runescarred demon is seven and you keep a fat body around. I think this card is seeing too much play, and if edhrec ever had me on the show, I'd love to use this as my challenge the stats card.
I think Sidisi probably sucks in the command zone, but is fine in the maindeck, depending on the maindeck.

Sidisi conveniently disposes of itself (or something else) for repeatable reanimation. Chainer of either flavour probably likes that. You could argue that you should just play Rune-Scarred Demon + Sac outlet, but you don't always draw those; Sidisi is self-contained. Second, Sidisi is more aggressively costed than Rune-Scarred Demon; this can be highly relevant if you urgently need to find an answer and leverage it immediately, or if your sac outlets cost mana for the purposes of recurring more (even High Market basically means you're forgoing mana with RSD). Third, Deathtouch is a rattlesnake-y thing to have, and can be quite useful.

That said, the exploit mechanic is only good if you have surrounding infrastructure to use it. In a vacuum, it's a 5 mana tutor which is pretty bad (3 mana is about my limit for non-creature tutors, with Beseech the Queen). However, if you're using something like Corpse Dance and don't have your free sac outlet available, additional mana costs can add up.

So, I think it's probably on par with Rune-Scarred Demon. Currently, I don't play it in any decks, because none of my decks have that infrastructure, but I have played it before, and will definitely play it again.

3drinks

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
I think Sidisi probably sucks in the command zone, but is fine in the maindeck, depending on the maindeck.

Sidisi conveniently disposes of itself (or something else) for repeatable reanimation. Chainer of either flavour probably likes that. You could argue that you should just play Rune-Scarred Demon + Sac outlet, but you don't always draw those; Sidisi is self-contained. Second, Sidisi is more aggressively costed than Rune-Scarred Demon; this can be highly relevant if you urgently need to find an answer and leverage it immediately, or if your sac outlets cost mana for the purposes of recurring more (even High Market basically means you're forgoing mana with RSD). Third, Deathtouch is a rattlesnake-y thing to have, and can be quite useful.

That said, the exploit mechanic is only good if you have surrounding infrastructure to use it. In a vacuum, it's a 5 mana tutor which is pretty bad (3 mana is about my limit for non-creature tutors, with Beseech the Queen). However, if you're using something like Corpse Dance and don't have your free sac outlet available, additional mana costs can add up.

So, I think it's probably on par with Rune-Scarred Demon. Currently, I don't play it in any decks, because none of my decks have that infrastructure, but I have played it before, and will definitely play it again.
Aside from that first sentence, this is about where I was leading towards with my synopsis. It's a good card that many people mistake as great and play it too much, when they don't exactly have the infrastructure to make use of it as more than a five mana tutour. Though, I'd argue all it really takes is an active Gravecrawler to make this thing ridiculous as people want it to be.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Though, I'd argue all it really takes is an active Gravecrawler to make this thing ridiculous as people want it to be.
I'm missing the combo, here. Gravecrawler can get exploited and then come back. And... then what? We could do this with Bloodghast, too. Sidisi has to enter the battlefield to trigger, so, just being able to recur Gravecrawler doesn't really do much.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Sidisi, Undead Vizier does a lot of work in my Lord of Tresserhorn deck. The goal is to abuse creatures' death triggers, and Sidisi helps me with that and lets me tutor. She's a one-way trip to Valuetown in that deck. I love her. :love:
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Edit: Yeah, there's a little redundancy in my post because I didn't see discussion had continued on to the next page. Oops.

Sidisi, Undead Vizier
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
... but realistically, getting a 5, then 7 diabolic tutour isn't all that great.
I don't think anybody plays Sidisi that way. Part of her strength in reanimator decks is that reanimation is easy to come by in black and very often cheaper than her casting cost. But the other part is that Rune-Scarred Demon need to have a sac outlet to be re-used, whereas Sidisi can self-sac.

She's probably the most busted tutor I could ever possibly run in Chainer, Dementia Master because of this. Even more valuable than Entomb or Demonic Tutor.
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
The ETB exploit ability would get doubled by Yarok, so if you have one creature for each exploit ability (e.g., two other creatures) to sacrifice then yes, you can tutor two cards. If you sacrifice her along with any other creatures to copied exploit triggers, she has to sacrificed to the last one.
PrimevalCommander wrote:
3 years ago
edit- I didn't know Exploit only resolves if the creature is in play during resolution. I'll have to look out for that in the future. It has not happened to me yet. Though I figure many don't know that is even an option to stop the trigger. Doesn't change my opinion of the card.
I wanted to point out the phrasing of this has an issue. Her ETB exploit ability will still resolve if she's not on the battlefield, and you can still sacrifice a creature to it if you want. It's that if she is removed in response to the exploit ability and is then not on the battlefield when a creature is sacrificed to that ability, her other "when ~ exploits" ability won't trigger and you won't tutor.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

I was always very happy with Sidisi, Undead Vizier in Sedris, the Traitor King, back when I played/maintained a primer for that. Though, I also played Rune-Scarred Demon in there (partly because I played 3 clones and "Squadron Demon" + Sneak Attack was a funny way to surprise kill people; turns out 24 hasty flying power for RRRR is pretty good).

I had a buddy with a Golgari deck years ago that used to love to Tooth and Nail for Sidisi, Undead Vizier and Disciple of Bolas to have them sacrifice each other, for 4 cards, 4 life, and a tutor. Obviously not the best thing he could be doing with that 9 mana, but it made him happy, so more power to him.

I think she's fantastic in any deck that can either flicker or reanimate her reliably. She's pretty sweet under a Mimic Vat.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

3drinks

Saturday, May 23rd, 2020; Kederekt Parasite

I saw the name come up and then started laughing at the utterly hilarious interaction with Necromancy & Kederekt Leviathan before realizing today's card was the other kederekt card 👀👀. Still worth taking about I think, and definitely the cheapest version of this effect.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

good in nekrusar

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Yeah, this seems like a Nekusar, the Mindrazer card, or wheel-based decks in general. One mana is pretty cheap for the effect. It also works with Obosh, the Preypiercer and damage doublers, and you can throw Curiosity on it for a build-your-own-Consecrated Sphinx.

I'm somewhat curious as to whether this is any good elsewhere. I'd compare to Soul Warden, which is a cheap card that sees a lot of play to gain a large chunk of life and enable various lifegain synergies. Would Kederekt Parasite be worth playing just to chip away at opponents' life totals and enable various life loss synergies? It turns on Bloodchief Ascension pretty quickly, but I suspect it doesn't contribute enough raw damage to be worth running as a Lava Axe without support. I wouldn't expect this to live long enough to deal more than 3-4 damage per opponent, which isn't that exciting for most decks.

Wallycaine

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, this seems like a Nekusar, the Mindrazer card, or wheel-based decks in general. One mana is pretty cheap for the effect. It also works with Obosh, the Preypiercer and damage doublers, and you can throw Curiosity on it for a build-your-own-Consecrated Sphinx.

I'm somewhat curious as to whether this is any good elsewhere. I'd compare to Soul Warden, which is a cheap card that sees a lot of play to gain a large chunk of life and enable various lifegain synergies. Would Kederekt Parasite be worth playing just to chip away at opponents' life totals and enable various life loss synergies? It turns on Bloodchief Ascension pretty quickly, but I suspect it doesn't contribute enough raw damage to be worth running as a Lava Axe without support. I wouldn't expect this to live long enough to deal more than 3-4 damage per opponent, which isn't that exciting for most decks.
I think the "control a red permanent" clause is what kills the possibility of inclusion for just general underworld dreams use. If this could come down turn one and start picking away at people, then it could earn a place, but with that extra requirement, most players are probably just going to reach for a more reliable source.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

I run it in a Queen Marchesa group hug/pillow fort deck I have in paper. The idea for the deck is to build a fort and let people fight over the monarchy and other resources. My collection in paper is more limited than online, so it makes the cut and does decent work. It doesn't deal tons of damage at once like it would in Nekusar, but it gets a pretty decent amount in while slipping under the radar. The deck tries to get everyone's total down, mainly by chip damage and letting others beat each other up then clean up at the end.

3drinks

Sunday, May 24th, 2020; Steal Artifact

How good does this have to be to justify not playing a, Confiscate or, say, a Volition Reins in this card's place? I see it as a very reasonable include, albeit somewhat specialized but I can't imagine being upset I included this.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

This looks pretty narrow to me. As a general rule, I don't consider Shatter effects that only deal with a single artifact to be playable. Artifacts are certainly very prevalent in the format, and show up in almost every deck.... but the vast majority of them are mana rocks. I suspect the number of non-mana artifacts that see play to be significantly lower, so just dealing with a single artifact is pretty niche. In general, I prefer my artifact removal to be more flexible - either hitting multiple targets (like Vandalblast), or just being more flexible (like Reclamation Sage). Blowing up an early Sol Ring or other mana rock can occasionally be worth it, but it really depends on how powerful the rock is, and is rarely a good choice lategame.

However, that's just talking about blowing them up. Stealing an artifact outright (in blue) is a bit of a different story. As I often call out, taking cards from your opponents often means that they lack synergy with your own deck. However, since almost every deck has mana rocks available, that doesn't really apply in this case - worst-case scenario, you steal a Signet and create a janky Mwonvuli Acid-Moss. Which, while not a particularly exciting card, isn't a terrible floor - the ceiling is obviously much higher, ranging from taking an essential combo piece (which, admittedly, will probably not do much for you) to taking a Blightsteel Colossus.

Still though, I don't know if I'd run Steal Artifact. Four mana is somewhat expensive for an answer, and being limited to just artifacts still feels narrow. Dack Fayden is a mana cheaper and also has some hefty upside in the form of looting, while Blatant Thievery hits anything, and multiple opponents. However, the card I think I would be most likely to run over Steal Artifact is Desertion - it does a similar job of stealing artifacts, but also hits creatures (and other spells in a pinch). There is some opportunity cost for having a timing restriction and not dealing with resolved spells, but I still feel like it would be worth it in this case, unless you're running a blue deck that isn't particularly friendly to countermagic (such as Maelstrom Wanderer).

It's fine for a dedicated theft deck, I guess. Blue doesn't have a ton of answers to resolved artifacts.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Artifact deck: probably would rather have another artifact in that spot

Enchantment mono-U deck: maybe

Devotion deck and probably most others: Master Thief over it
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

i think it would be meta and deck dependent,personally i'd run it as a back up to the cards already mentioned.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks

Monday, May 25th, 2020; Jace, Cunning Castaway

The number of trash cards I had to go through, whew. Two basic lands, one va vanguard card, terrible limited chaff (like, we're talking 23rd card chaff) and I never seen so many gray ogre variants whew.

So I've never seen this in a game ever. How does it actually play out?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

I'll post before you someday, 3drinks! *shakes fist*

Anyway, I also haven't seen Jace, Cunning Castaway in action. This is... not one of the strongest versions of Jace, if only because he doesn't really generate any card advantage. Conditional looting is pretty meh, as is the token - it's not terrible, but a 2/2 with downside isn't going to win any awards. The ultimate is sweet, but the reward is... more mediocre Jaces. Hmm.... An infestation of Jaces? I'm not really sure what the proper term for a gaggle of planeswalkers is.

I suspect that most decks running this Jace are going to be doing so alongside Doubling Season or Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God. The former because he can ultimate immediately and generate infinite tokens, which is actually pretty good. (plus you can loot through your entire deck if you have a creature that can connect). The latter because getting token Bolases is quite strong.

Outside more dedicated superfriends / shenanigans decks... I'd probably go with another walker instead. Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer and Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor are two other token producers with some more relevant upsides.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

Wait, what's that artwork? That's not stupid, sexy Jace! Really though, as Mookie said, this Jace is underwhelming in almost every circumstance; the exception being where you can utilise Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God and a doubling effect (another being Oath of Teferi) to produce an arbitrarily large number of Dragon-Gods to exile your opponents' hands and boards.
Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
I'm not really sure what the proper term for a gaggle of planeswalkers is.
I'm going to go with a bevy. Besides that card, it does actually seem appropriate: "A large group of people or things of a particular kind."

3drinks

I'm not sure how you'd post before me if I'm the one spinning the wheel of random 👀 @Mookie

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God isn't his only combo, either. Sure, if you have that in play you'll probably make a bunch of Bolases instead of a bunch of Jaces, but Jace, Cunning Castaway with one of these...

Oath of Gideon + Oath of Teferi
or Oath of Gideon + The Chain Veil with one resolution of its ability that turn
or Oath of Teferi + The Chain Veil with one resolution of its ability that turn
or The Chain Veil on its own with two resolutions of its ability that turn

...you can continually make Jaces, ulting one of each pair you make and making tokens with the other. The number of times you activated the +1 shouldn't matter if: A. you give the tokens haste and end the game that turn; or B. nobody successfully answers the tokens and you attack on your next turn.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”