[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
that being said overall I think sacrificing board state leads to negative game play for a casual player.
I assume you're alluding to stuff like Grave Pact/Smokestack that affects all players?
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Dragon Appeasement feels like a high-risk, low reward card - there are a lot of other ways to draw cards from sacrificing creatures which are both cheaper and don't require you to skip your draw step, such as Fecundity, Ulvenwald Mysteries, Smothering Abomination, and Midnight Reaper. At six mana, I feel like I would play most of those before considering this. Meanwhile, if all of your sacrifice outlets are destroyed or you run out of creatures, then it's possible that you will be locked out.

Might be decent in Prossh, Skyraider of Kher if you're specifically making a dragon-themed deck?

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
that being said overall I think sacrificing board state leads to negative game play for a casual player.
I assume you're alluding to stuff like Grave Pact/Smokestack that affects all players?
im thinking more along the lines of a choice an individual player has to make, and when that decision process crosses destroying ones own permanents against an effect. the ol self sacrifice

hmm. . .harder to explain than I thought

as a player you want the be best possible option for yourself, and when that means sacrificing your own parts its sorta :/

cards like grave pact can be legitimate strategies, so there is definitely room for the idea, and if your playing into that then your a freaking masochist haha

anyway Im getting off point.

did I answer your ? haha. :?

lyonhaert
Answers: 4

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
The N82O Molecule wrote:
4 years ago
im thinking more along the lines of a choice an individual player has to make, and when that decision process crosses destroying ones own permanents against an effect. the ol self sacrifice

hmm. . .harder to explain than I thought

as a player you want the be best possible option for yourself, and when that means sacrificing your own parts its sorta :/

cards like grave pact can be legitimate strategies, so there is definitely room for the idea, and if your playing into that then your a freaking masochist haha

anyway Im getting off point.

did I answer your ? haha. :?
I think I understand what you mean.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
Oh, and count me in the "started playing during Revised" club. Now pardon me, I have to tell some youngsters to get off my lawn.

When I watch people's reactions to me laying down Tawnos's Coffin, Guardian Beast, and The Abyss, I just shrug to their envy. "Oh, are those expensive now," I lied to protect them, knowing these cards are quite high, "Guess I never realized how much they appreciated since I got mine." In reality, this makes me feel all like your git off mah lawn comment.

It doesn't even faze me when they react to my Moat anymore though, it's so commonplace to me.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Thursday, August 22nd, 2019; Runehorn Hellkite

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 4 years ago

The backup wheel you discard while using your other more cost-effective wheel effect, I guess?

Let's face it, as a beater it's just outright underwhelming given the choices we already have and considering the cost of using it, the importance lies in how easily you can pitch it to the graveyard for instant-speed wheel usage than anything else. Good in discard/entomb/wheel decks that really need the backup, pretty much meh everywhere else.

darksamus

Post by darksamus » 4 years ago

I used to play Runehorn Hellkite as a budget wheel a long time ago. I still see it from time to time, but I always cut it from my decks. Maybe I should try it with Anje Falkenrath or Chainer, Nightmare Adept.

Mookie

The base body of Runehorn Hellkite as a 5/5 flier for 6 is fine, but not particularly exciting. You'll want to have some way to take advantage of the wheel-from-graveyard ability, such as refilling your hand after discarding it to Malfegor, or fetching it with Buried Alive. One perk is that because it is an activated ability, it is more difficult to counter than most other wheels, which can be relevant if your meta has a lot of countermagic. You can also activate it at instant speed - I would usually prefer a cheaper wheel, so I can both draw a new hand and start playing cards from it on the same turn, but wheeling at the end of an opponent's turn and untapping with a fresh 7 is nice too.

Overall, I don't think I would play it in most decks, but it's worth consideration if you want a wheel and care about creatures.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

Runehorn is a good card in my opinion. Playable in Red decks that care about the graveyard, decks that care about wheels, decks that care about discard. I play this in Daretti, Scrap Savant which uses quite a few wheel effects including Chandra Ablaze. I can pitch this to Daretti +2 and then activate later, or same turn. It is instant speed, hard to counter, and like mentioned before, can be discarded to another wheel (Memory Jar) without worry and used later.

Good budget wheel along with Magus of the Wheel for a creatures matter build, or just for decks that can't afford Wheel of Fortune.

The N82O Molecule

for a dragon this is on rate I suppose, but I agree with what has been stated previously

do I cast this vs a shivan dragon?

the second ability is what makes it rare? the cost makes it :(
wheel is 3, and it doesn't have to be in the graveyard
but perhaps this ability is stronger cause if your "hellbent" this is draw 7
but you only play wheel if its your last card anyway to maximize profit
oh oh but what about underworld dreams, you have to account for this in costs right
but your out of color, this card or any card can combo if your willing to pay enough
but 6 and the exile
its to safe to be cool
6 isn't a lot in commander
a million isn't a lot when you embrace possible billions, but lets be honest, its turn 6 and you played your 6th mana, are you dropping this dragon? if it dies and you back end it you payed 12 for a wheel and that's bad right?
no and yes

lol (two thumbs up emoji)

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
I played this in Neheb, the Eternal. A wheel that could be cast from the yard was pretty great.

There was one game where I had to Gamble for it *and* depend on discarding it to answer something a Sisay player tutored for (they were doing the Seedborn Muse thing).

Otherwise, I find it kind of subpar.

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

It's on the pile for my Chainer deck. Remains to be seen if it ends up in the deck, but it's certainly decent discard fodder in a hellbent-ish deck.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

Morganelefay

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

I have it in my Chandra build, where it actually won me a game after someone combo'd off - discarded it off of Chandra's Regulator and just won because they had near-decked themselves.

That's the strength of this card; it's great discard fodder which Red likes - Anje Falkenrath will also gladly include this - and it usually just comes off of a card like other wheels, Chandra Ablaze or Faithless Looting.

It's not a top tier card or anything, but I've never felt bad about including it. It's true that even on a budget you'd rather run Reforge the Soul, but there aren't that many varieties of this effect going around.

And if you do end up hard casting it, at least it's not a TERRIBLE rate.
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Nekusar, the Mindrazer is another one for this (and any other) wheel. Actually, you can put Neheb in Nekusar as well. (I have used Neheb, a wheel, and Nekusar to Comet Storm everyone. Or Exsanguinate.)

It's not an auto-include by any means, but it's "good enough" in Nekusar. Or Grixis reanimator.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago

One of the discard option I have. It could just sit in your graveyard till you need it. I see it more as a flashback card. And like many others already commented, it's INSTANT speed.

3drinks

Fridsy. August 23rd, 2019; Charmbreaker Devils

I've always had such a soft spot for this card and I try to fit it everywhere. Never quite feels like it's worth it's cost, but it's always hot in my mind. I wish it were an end step trigger, I bet that would make it playable.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

darksamus

Post by darksamus » 4 years ago

Somewhat expensive for what it does, but I still add it to as many decks as I can. It is the card that comes to mind when I think of jank you would only play in EDH.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I like it with Delve cards - exile the spells you really don't want back in hand.

It gives so much value.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

rujasu

Post by rujasu » 4 years ago

I'm sure it's very fun and cool in the sort of deck that wants something like that, but I'd have a tough time using a six-drop slot on it. There are so many fun and powerful things you can do at six mana. (I'm talking about Devils here, but I could have used the same post for Hellkite now that I think about it.)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

This card can create some great value, but in many decks I could see previously mentioned Wheel Dragon to be a better 6 slot than this one. I agree that an end step trigger would be much better, however the pump would be useless by then, which defeats some of the purpose.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Fridsy. August 23rd, 2019; Charmbreaker Devils
I find I don't get to untap much with this one, but it's so brutal when you do. I've one-shot players by playing a few spells.

The N82O Molecule

I like this card
If I remember correctly this was a limited/sealed bomb, this card is perfect for the top end of a sealed deck that way you could get back some of the spells that saved your high knees to get to the later stage of the game.

it looks super good on paper

its just gotta make it around the table. . .question is how many times before you brake even/profit

this is a izzet card through and through.
seems great with a counterspell

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
I like it with Delve cards - exile the spells you really don't want back in hand.

It gives so much value.
If you have Time Warp as the only sorcery in your graveyard and no instants, you have infinite turns. Bear in mind, there are ways to achieve this without exiling cards, but it's still worth keeping in mind.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Mookie

Charmbreaker Devils is a sweet card, but also extremely slow - six mana and no value unless it live until my upkeep. Random recursion can also be awkward - the sort of deck that wants to play the Devils is likely to be playing a lot of instants and sorceries, so getting anything specific is hard. There are ways around this, such as delve or Relic of Progenitus. Also has the benefit of not targeting, which makes it a little more resilient to grave hate. +4/+0 per spell cast is also a pretty big buff - this can hit for a lot of damage.

Does silly things alongside extra turn spells (or extra upkeeps). One other notable thing about Charmbreaker Devils is that it is repeatable card advantage in monored, and most other recursion effects exile the card from your graveyard (see: Kess, Dissident Mage, Dralnu, Lich Lord, and others).

Otherwise, I'll throw out Wildfire Devils as a recent card that does similar things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”