Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
This is one of those gimmicks that gets other players going but not me. If I wanna one-shot people with potentially pyrrhic consequences, Tears of Rage is my preferred methodology. Can't wait until 3drinks rolls that one.
I play that! In WB Korvold, and it is delicious.
Oh man, isn't it? Peons shell out for craterhoof, badasses buy this for a quarter and risk it all for glory.
Plus it's a combo with Caller of the Claw (also available in WB).

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Even if you cast from hand, and even if you don't, Torpor Orb and friends can be destroyed, exiled, whatever, and blink cards exist. So do whatever you're going to do.

Time for a funny story. I once faced this, and had Mirari out, so I cast Living Death and copied it.

As the first Living Death resolved, my opponent said "From hell's heart I stab at thee" and threw all his entry and death triggers at my sector of the table.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 years ago

I'm thinking of running this in Virtus and Gorm, because I can manifest her then flip after blockers.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Saturday, May 8th, 2021; Magus of the Library

Alls I got to say here is #FreeLibrary

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

He's not a bad mana dork, though in general the faster you ramp, the fewer cards you're going to have in hand, so it's a little at-odds with itself. Plus mono-green isn't usually the "sit back and accrue card advantage" type of deck. That said, I've definitely played him in 1-2 color green controlling decks. As long as he's your first spell and you don't lose cards in the mulligan, you have the choice of using him for cards or mana on T3.

I will lose my mind if they ever unban library itself. That would be amazing. Ofc then there'd be the insane price spike and the torrent of complaints but w/e.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Oh man, isn't it? Peons shell out for craterhoof, badasses buy this for a quarter and risk it all for glory.
I ran it in my Sunforger deck...tbh Repeated ReverberationBenevolent Offering → untap → Akroma's WillTears of Rage got a little old after a while.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I remember someone posted a SCD back on MTGS about this, where the OP wondered aloud why this card wasn't an omnipresent staple. When we all told him why it wasn't, the dude just kept adamantly insisting that we were all wrong and the card was busted. It was a really weird discussion, like one dude battling 20 other people, choosing this of all things as his hill to die on.

Anyway, that's all I think about when I see this card. Not being useful until t3 at best really diminishes the insanity of the library effect.

@DirkGently Suit yourself, man. Amassing 15ish goblins and weeping fire across the table never gets old to me.

Edit: spelling
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I will lose my mind if they ever unban library itself. That would be amazing. Ofc then there'd be the insane price spike and the torrent of complaints but w/e.
It's ludicrous that Bazaar can be legal but this isn't, speaking as someone that has played library. But of the reason really is price barrier...why is timetwister still legal? #FreeLibrary needs to happen.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Saturday, May 8th, 2021; Magus of the Library

Alls I got to say here is #FreeLibrary
Honestly, I've played this semi-frequently and I think it's underrated. IME, Lots of 2-mana dorks get played, and the possibility of draw makes it on par with other 2-mv dorks. It was definitely clutch in Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant // Sasaya's Essence.

As for LoE... I have a copy, but I would never petition for an unban. I'd love to play it, but, you know, it's pretty crazy.

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 2 years ago

I like him, he fits my playstyle of holding onto cards too. If they unbanned library that would be...pretty great. Maybe a bit much though. The power of lands in commander is a bit much as it is I feel.
Responds well to spells and abilities

hyalopterouslemur

He's okay, especially if you like cards that require colorless mana. His second ability is hampered by "exactly seven", but I could see him in the same decks that run Sylvan Library: Have seven in hand? Activate during your upkeep, keep it separate from the rest of your hand so you can put it back if you want. Six? Activate at the beginning of your main. Five, pay 4 life to keep an additional card, activate at the beginning of your main. Four? Pay 8 life to keep all three cards, draw at the beginning of your main. Basically each once a turn draw, each activated ability requiring a discard, makes that window bigger.

onering

Post by onering » 2 years ago

He's actually really good. There are so many ways to be at 7 that getting him to draw a card every turn isn't all that hard. It changes how quickly you play threats, so it doesn't go in every deck, but green is perfectly capable of maintaining 7 while threatening the board.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Magus of the Library is one of the best card-advantage-generating tap abilities I'm running in my Samut deck. A two mana creature that draws a card every turn is amazing (see: Dark Confidant), and if you have the ability to untap the Magus, it looks even better. The fail case of tapping for a mana isn't amazing, but it's not bad either.

...that said, if you aren't able to keep a full hand, Magus looks significantly worse. It's a really weak topdeck as a result. If you're running wheel effects to refill your hand, it can be better, but... there's also the issue that green has many other draw engines that aren't as conditional, such as Beast Whisperer and Tireless Tracker - for many decks, it's easier to ramp or have creature than it is to keep a full grip.

Still, it is a pretty unique effect - there aren't that many creatures that tap to draw an extra card, and certainly not at such an efficient price. Dryad Greenseeker, Duskwatch Recruiter // Krallenhorde Howler, Kolvori, God of Kinship // The Ringhart Crest, and Zoologist all do something somewhat similar, but they also require much higher requirements and investment.

3drinks

Sunday, May 9th, 2021; Bolt Bend ...and the elephant in the room close replicant, deflecting swat

I like Bolt Bend. I think it doesn't get the level of play it deserves because swat overshadows it, though I don't think it actually should overshadow it. Sometimes it is easier to fulfill it's condition over having a commander out, and r is still a very cheap and efficient cost for this effect. I used it to devastating effect in Greven, Predator Captain during it's short shelf life.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 2 years ago

They are both great, I run both where applicable. Swat has the clear upper hand, but if you trigger ferocious regularly Bend is great. I ran both in my Greven deck too...that deck was a lot of fun and a complete boogeyman to deal with. Definitely had some satisfying "swats" and "bends" in there followed by a players death. I really just love both these effects a lot, they can be so diverse and useful. Getting bojuka bogged and don't wanna? Bend it. Want to take someone's Time Warp? Swat it. Don't want to see that enchantment on that creature? Bend and swat, my friends. Bend and Swat

EDIT: Bonus points for being sunforgerable
Responds well to spells and abilities

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

Both are great spells. Bolt Bend becomes significantly less good if you aren't running many creatures with power 4+. The potential uses for both cards are practically endless. "Sorry, enchantress player, but yes, my Etali would love to receive [carde]Eldrazi Conscription" is one that still makes me smile.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Sunday, May 9th, 2021; Bolt Bend ...and the elephant in the room close replicant, deflecting swat

I like Bolt Bend. I think it doesn't get the level of play it deserves because swat overshadows it, though I don't think it actually should overshadow it. Sometimes it is easier to fulfill it's condition over having a commander out, and r is still a very cheap and efficient cost for this effect. I used it to devastating effect in Greven, Predator Captain during it's short shelf life.
I want to add Ricochet Trap to this mix, though it's clearly a tier below the other two since it can't affect abilities. Blue is commonly played, and the reduced cost will happen. Especially when someone plays a targeted extra turn spell.

I think none of these cards see as much play as they should. They can absolutely decide games.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

No clue why I do not run these. I use Imp's Mischief in monoB. I need to try them out!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Bolt Bend is one of my favorite cards. And depending on the deck, it is actually superior to Deflecting Swat.

My favorite story with Bolt Bend is that I was playing against a K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth deck that was storming off with Aetherflux Reservoir and Bolas's Citadel. He gains enough life to start pinging down everyone. So when he targets me with Aetherflux Reservoir I Bolt Bend it back at his face killing him. It also showed me the importance of Bolt Bend over Deflecting Swat in my deck as I had multiple creatures with 4+ power out, but not Etali, Primal Storm, so Deflecting Swat wouldn't have saved me (only had one mana open).

If we are also talking mono-B redirects, I've always been a fan of Muck Drubb, who is basically the poor-man's Imp's Mischief.

hyalopterouslemur

At a bare minimum, it lets you redirect removal, growths, and shrinks. Sometimes you can redirect a Sign in Blood or similar It can redirect auras too.

The really good effect is being able to redirect abilities.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

I love those kind of effects, even the lesser ones like Reroute or Goblin Flectomancer (although this last one plays very differently since they can see it on the field). It's worthy to note that Deflecting Swat lets you redirect spells with multiple targets though, such as fight spells, Decimate or Crush Contraband.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I've always been a fan of Wild Ricochet. It obviously needs to be played in a lower powerlevel because its mana cost is so much higher. Man it can be a massive blowout though. A couple of games ago I saw it hit Time Warp and that was just delicious.

3drinks

Monday, May 10th, 2021; Astral Slide|f06 and it's slightly under developed third cousin, astral drift

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Cycling isn't really my bag, but I gotta admit, people love their slides. It seems like a minor effect, but just like their younger brother Skybind, the flicker can do some deceptively serious damage.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I know people love these cards but I have never been interested in playing them. I can't work out how to make Cycling work with ETBs. What synergy is there?
I know there are some good synergies, like recent cards that care when cards are put into exile, and Containment Priest to get rid of your opponents' creatures.... Or I suppose you could play a general with an ETB.
Maybe it's the cycling part that I find underwhelming. I just don't see it as a fun strategy.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Been considering these more seriously now with Plargg, Dean of Chaos. There are a few pretty powerful activators for cycling decks that fit within Plargg range, and then you can fill the rest of the deck with expensive cyclers. I guess you could win with Zenith Flare for 40, tucked with mistveil plains.

Are people sick of my plargg obsession yet? I can't seem to stop building new decks for him.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”