[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I used to play this in Wort, the Raidmother and it was fun :)

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

I'd argue the OG Timmy/Tammy was Coalition Victory, but, yeah, man. This card is surprisingly powerful in terms of power to CMC, though it costs a LOT. I don't play it too much for that reason. Besides, the main tokens I use are either as currency (think saprolings, goblins, insects, and Eldrazi spawn) or to clone. This can be populate-able, though. So it's still playable if you regularly have 9 or more mana.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Oh man, this card brings me right back to high school. This card was my JAM back then.

My deck was 4 colours, roughly 80 cards, and had no ramp.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Thursday, December 2nd, 2021; Chain Reaction

As the game grows, this feels more and more commonplace as the r Day of Judgement. It's fairly trivial to make this perform exactly as you want.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 2 years ago

Backup Blasphemous Act is a good card. Occasionally can be better, as it's capable of killing things bigger than X/13's (without help) if there are enough critters on the field, and capable of occasionally leaving your dudes alive of they are large enough and there are few enough dudes on the field. It's also sometimes worse for the same reasons, but in reverse (killing your own X/14 or bigger, failing to kill a 7/7 because there's only 6 creatures out). Cost wise, Act is usually cheaper, and when it isn't it does more damage and is thus more effective. And yet, not only is this good enough to be a viable alternative, it's good enough to justify running alongside the Act.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Also handy for Reckoner wins. I don't run it any of my decks, but that's because there are so many niche wraths, which I prefer over staples.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

good wipe in red. Best in mono-red or red/green since other colors open up more options. I'm not running as many wipes as I used to so I don't see this in my decks very often. Solid card though and quite good for 4 mana.

hyalopterouslemur

Can be hilariously quadratic with Repercussion. Or just Boros Reckoner and Stuffy Doll to avoid it backfiring on you.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
Can be hilariously quadratic with Repercussion. Stuffy Doll to avoid it backfiring on you.
great now I wanna do a suicide pact just need to add Guilty Conscience
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

I'm not running Repercussion unless it works well with the deck. I use it in Nin and can tell you B.Act/Repercussion is a fantastic way to win (so I imagine Chain Reaction would be as well).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks

Friday, December 3rd, 2021; Sidisi, Brood Tyrant

I haven't seen this thing in ages. Has it fallen out of favour? I get that it's not Muldrotha, but.....

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Sidisi has some really easy combos but also has some really nice midrange game. I think the main reason it's out of favor is that it's old and so many "better" BUG generals are out there.

I have a brew of it that I've been sitting on for a while, it's quite powerful. but will take a lot of tuning to get right, and my meta is just so fast that it's hard to get the right balance of interaction and non-creatures.

A general that essentially requires you run 40 creatures is going to be a hard sell these days with the "you've gotta run 15 interactive spells" state of the game, and I think that's probably the buggest limitation. Mystic Snake is not quite as playable as it used to be :P

BeneTleilax

Sultai's been getting a lot more broken crap, self-mill's been getting a lot more broken crap, zombies have gotten increasingly pulled into BUw. She's still a solid general, but she doesn't really have a niche. She's also an awkward combination of slow and threatening.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Gotta say, I dig anything with an "etb or attacks" trigger. Anything.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

My wife played this as a Zombie Tribal commander and was frustrated by Sidisi herself not being a Zombie (which meant she couldn't get Deathtouch from Death Baron to help on offense and she died to Noxious Ghoul and Call to the Grave - so that went the way of the Dodo as soon as Varina, Lich Queen was printed. I also toyed with her as a dredge/Boneyard Wurm commander, but have generally found I prefer The Gitrog Monster for that role. In these colors there's also Muldrotha, the Gravetide as the ultimate self-mill/graveyard commander. All this leaves Sidisi in the realm of being a little too fair unless you pair her with Mesmeric Orb + Altar of the Brood to make tons of zombies and destroy your opponents libraries. Note she's still got over 2000 decks on EDHRECs and falls just outside the top 5 for Sultai Commanders - she's still good, and popular. But it's easy to see how her thunder has been stolen after she initially exploded onto the scene.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Sidisi was really fun in standard the "sidisi whip" deck was pretty fun. She performs well enogh in EDH, its a cool card

hyalopterouslemur

Fun as a reanimator enabler. I do like this "mill as a trigger" thing.

She makes Bloodchief Ascension and things like Rest in peace and Leyline of the Void KOS tho.

3drinks

Saturday, December 4th, 2021; The Tarrasque

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

BeneTleilax

A good Timmy beater. Outclassed by Kogla in Gx goodstuff, but actually feels like a casual card while still being somewhat resilient.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Saturday, December 4th, 2021; The Tarrasque
I like the design of things where you get a bonus for not cheating them into play.

That said, I haven't played the copy I opened.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I'll pick one up for Gishath, Sun's Avatar at some point. It's fine. I'm not a huge fan of the flavor so I'm not in any huge rush.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Missed the last few days, so....

Re: Chain Reaction - good card, probably the second-best red board wipe (after Blasphemous Act), because most other options top out at 3-5 damage unless they're X spells. But I also think it's worse than Day of Judgement - it's pretty common for it to miss killing a big creature.

Re: Sidisi, Brood Tyrant - solid option, but if feels like she has been replaced by Varina, Lich Queen and Muldrotha, the Gravetide for zombie tribal / dredge, respectively.

Anyway: The Tarrasque is.... fine. It's a big, expensive Timmy creature that lets you kill stuff on attack. Ward 10 is is effectively hexproof in most situations, so it's also extremely difficult to kill, and haste means you can get some immediate value, so it's not a bad investment. On the other hand, 9 mana is a lot, and I don't think it quite justifies the cost most in most decks. It's also much weaker if you cheat it into play - at that point, it's a mostly-vanilla beater. Hmmmm....

....I think my biggest issue with it is probably the mismatch between flavor and execution - in D&D, The Tarrasque is the endgame fatty - it's big, destructive, and virtually unkillable. Ward 10 is certainly significant, but it feels like it is a lot easier to deal with in MTG than its D&D version, and the implementation of its destructive abilities - fighting something on attack - also seems somewhat underwhelming. It feels like the sort of creature that will just get chump blocked by tokens forever - it really wants trample. Still, while the flavor of The Tarrasque is 'big unkillable killing machine' in D&D, it also has a reputation for being pretty easy to deal with in D&D - it's also pretty dumb and has no ranged attacks, so you can deal with it pretty easily by just flying out of range and kiting it, which is a strategy most people will have access to by the time you're likely to encounter one.

hyalopterouslemur

A bit underwhelming, though the idea of "you can't cheat this" without saying you can't cheat it is nice. Not that you need to. Animar can easily pay for it, and 9 mana really isn't that much in green. You do get some card advantage out of it, since it fights every turn.

But still, for the Tarrasque, I expected a bit more? I mean, ward (10) is almost hexproof, but a 10/10 with haste and "near hexproof" for 9 mana, even with a nice removal every attack, doesn't seem enough for the biggest baddest monster in D&D.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I hate this card purely because of all the D&D players endlessly whining about it.

:)
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

I think my version is better
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer