[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Haven't seen this one before, but it looks spicy in any reanimator deck sporting red. Shreds of Sanity pitching a fatty to get your Reanimate back seems pretty good. You'd even get back your Terminate to boot! I actually might give this a shot over Recoup in Daretti, Scrap Savant.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
Haven't seen this one before, but it looks spicy in any reanimator deck sporting red. Shreds of Sanity pitching a fatty to get your Reanimate back seems pretty good. You'd even get back your Terminate to boot! I actually might give this a shot over Recoup in Daretti, Scrap Savant.
Would definitely like this over Recoup. This is a ton of value packed into one card, even if it doesn't look flashy.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

The ability to discard a card for whatever reason is often just added value. I'm not completely sold on it, but it's definitely considerable for reanimator decks.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I'd consider it for Spelltwineesque decks as well that want to discard Enter the Infinite and get Spelltwine or some other cast from the bin effect. Grabbing High Tide and Spelltwine while chucking Enter the Infinite feels like pretty much living the dream to me =P

It's a solid card all around, but I don't see any really good reason it needs the "recursion punish" rider, it's not like the fact you can't recur it is what's preventing it from seeing much play. I wish they'd stop just putting those stupid riders on things. Regrowth is not exactly a broken magic card so making it cost 3 and exiling itself doesn't seem super necessary.

Obviously this is two spells, but it requires both an instant and a sorcery and you have to discard so it's card neutral, so I see no reason it needs to be additionally worse. Is it pushed at 3 mana? Maybe a little?

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

It's good. I kind of like the exile rider, because this lives in Kess/Anje Falkenrath type decks, and that rider doesn't so much mean they can't combo with it, it just means if they fail, they have to wait a bit before trying again. The fact that you can grab a ritual *and* whatever nonsense you really want to recur is huge for this, when I've used it in my old Zada or seen it used against me in Kess. Whack-a-mole on the stack is only fun if a majority of the players are blue.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I'd consider it for Spelltwineesque decks as well that want to discard Enter the Infinite and get Spelltwine or some other cast from the bin effect. Grabbing High Tide and Spelltwine while chucking Enter the Infinite feels like pretty much living the dream to me =P

It's a solid card all around, but I don't see any really good reason it needs the "recursion punish" rider, it's not like the fact you can't recur it is what's preventing it from seeing much play. I wish they'd stop just putting those stupid riders on things. Regrowth is not exactly a broken magic card so making it cost 3 and exiling itself doesn't seem super necessary.

Obviously this is two spells, but it requires both an instant and a sorcery and you have to discard so it's card neutral, so I see no reason it needs to be additionally worse. Is it pushed at 3 mana? Maybe a little?
Especially on ones like this that are uncommons, the exile rider is geared more towards Standard and Limited play than Commander. They're generally looking to avoid repetative gameplay "loops", so basically anything that can get another copy of itself back along with something else is a no no. Without that clause, you could easily end up in a gamestate (or even standard enviroment) where the best play is to loop Fiery Temper and 2 copies of this card over and over.

3drinks

Saturday, November 27th, 2021; Quicksilver Elemental

Can't help but think this a little remembered Necrotic Ooze but in u. I suspect this should be seeing far more play.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

It's much, much worse than ooze because you need all the abilities in play anyways. At which point, why aren't you just playing 2-3 card combos, rather than 2-3 cards that take an extra 5 mana card and 2-3 mana to "combo"

Dragoon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
It's much, much worse than ooze because you need all the abilities in play anyways. At which point, why aren't you just playing 2-3 card combos, rather than 2-3 cards that take an extra 5 mana card and 2-3 mana to "combo"
You can still assemble a combo using your opponents' creatures in non-black decks, that is certainly worth a few bonus style points.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 2 years ago

This is playable in Mairsil. You can target Mairsil himself and get a second instance of his abilities.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Yeah, Mairsil, the Pretender is the only place I've seen Quicksilver Elemental played. Gaining activated abilities is pretty niche - a basic Clone effect will do the same thing the vast majority of the time, while also providing a lot of additional flexibility. It only makes sense if you want to combine the abilities of multiple creatures - for example, Bloom Tender + Pili-Pala or another untap effect. However, I can't think of many decks that would be interested in doing so - other than Mairsil, Experiment Kraj is the only one that comes to mind.

hyalopterouslemur

Well, given all the callbacks, this should surprise no one. But Necrotic Ooze is not a Phyrexian card, where a huge point of the callbacks from a flavor perspective was that Uncanny Valley aspect: Someone familiar, but not.

Anyway, this guy can get pretty ridiculous with q, even more than most. And like Necrotic Ooze and Experiment Kraj, it's painfully easy to break this guy.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

Quicksilver Elemental is really great in my Merieke Ri Berit deck, which is built around abusing activated abilities. Quicksilver Elemental is a super versatile Swiss army knife, doing great impressions of Arcanis the Omnipotent, Cao Cao, Lord of Wei, Merieke herself, or even just Aphetto Alchemist. Love it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Sunday, November 28th, 2021; Total War

When you have players that just want to draw cards and play with themselves, rather than actually win.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Melua

Post by Melua » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago

When you have players that just want to draw cards and play with themselves, rather than actually win.
If they just want to turtle up this doesn't actually do anything. It still encourages combat though, and at a relatively decent CMC. It doesn't quite put in the work that War's Toll does, but being able to hold up mana for interaction is big as War's Toll forces you to hold up interaction for everyone. In all, a decently political card.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Ah yes, the old all or nothing effects. I'll cop to not being a fan to effects that take decisions out of the game. Part of my absolute loathing of Thantis, the Warweaver for example.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Similar to Angel's Trumpet and the aforementioned War's Toll. I think the decks that want this kind of effect benefit from having enough variation that you can pick the card(s) that mesh best with the strategy; but I'm not a fan of people who just jam these into "random deck X" 'cause "chaos/moar attks/rawr". . .
V/R

Treamayne

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Total War feels like a pretty niche effect - if a player wants to attack, they're effectively forced to attack with all of their creatures if they don't want them to be destroyed. On the other hand, if they aren't planning to attack, it doesn't really do anything. Still, if you have ways to force attacks (such as goad), it becomes a bit more interesting. Unlike War's Toll, Total War doesn't care whether or not the non-attacking creatures are actually capable of attacking - it just destroys them unconditionally. So, throw in Moat or Crawlspace to lock out excess attacks and you have a janky way to wipe out your opponents' creatures.

....probably more effort than it is worth - I'd prefer to just force attacks outright with Thantis, the Warweaver / Fumiko the Lowblood, but at least it's amusing.

hyalopterouslemur

This does have a few uses, but I think I'll just use like, a ton of other cards to get the same effect. Basically if you're in red, white, or blue, you should have something.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Sick drew tucker art. I'll look to snag one as a bookmark.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

take that non-wall creatures with Defender
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
take that non-wall creatures with Defender
Hah, yes. Though, changelings aren't affected regardless of whether or not they have defender. Actually, thinking about it, that might be a legit use to break the symmetry. Good card for tribal tribal...? Probably not, but it's an amusing thought regardless.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

combo with No Mercy for the old combo wombo. Wait, you're attacking for lethal? No fair stop spiking.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Monday, November 29th, 2021; Hallowed Moonlight

As a Sneak Attack|usg player, this scares me. It's not on the board, you've no idea if they have it, and it's not like it's telegraphed by holding up 3uuu via Gather Specimens. Cool card. Great way at keeping things balanced...

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Melua

Post by Melua » 2 years ago

Well designed card that hates on a few different strategies without being oppressive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”