[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

Wallycaine
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
Now that Ingenious Infiltrator exists this is only like the sixth or seventh best non-Yuriko Ninja in a dedicated Ninja deck, but of course I still run it and it is still fine. I'm still generally happy to see him in an opening hand even though he's "worse" than Yuriko or Infilitrator, because his Ninjutsu cost is very reasonable (allowing me to continue to reuse my Seers or Baleful Strixs) and unlike the rest of the ninjas with a Ninjutsu cost of 2 or less, his trigger is always relevant in a way that isn't necessarily true of Skullsnatcher or Mistblade Shinobi).

It's hard to imagine running it anywhere else - the problem is that even in a Blink/Bounce/Saboteur deck, this is ultimately a one-shot compared to more permanent boosts from flickering a 'drifter or just jamming a Coastal Piracy effect. In Pauper, this guy is a menace because the reset is so impactful (especially when he hits a Faerie Seer or a Spellstutter Sprite) and because in a one-on-one 20 life format, it is highly probable he'll get to crack in again (especially on turn 2) and even just one crack is good value. Here, one crack is a little under par but unless he was in the opener and you had a good target for him on turn 2, he's extremely unlikely to get a second swing in without significant support. Most decks that go that ham on good targets for an early Ninja are also happier to just develop the board and slam a Bident of Thassa (or, more likely, have such an effect in the command zone a la Edric, Spymaster of Trest or Derevi, Empyrial Tactician), so they would rather go wider than do ninja tricks.

I imagine once I actually get to play with Mutate I may test it in an Otrimi/Brokos/Illuna/Vadrok deck since it is either a "reset" of a mutate stack, or a fine "host" for an evasive mutate to turn into a Thieving Magpie. Even there though...

- I generally will want my "resets" instant speed or more reusable. I'd have to imagine Ghostly Flicker. Crystal Shard, Curfew, or Temur Sabertooth (3/4 mutate commanders are green) are better "resets". Nevermind that I'm in Blue and I'm either in green or white 100% of the time for Mutate.dec, and can also be running counterspells or defensive measures like Heroic Intervention or Flawless Maneuver to protect my mutate stack.

- I imagine most mutate decks are going to want their Ophidian hosts to have some measure of in-built evasion or additional keywords; again we're in the right color for Magpie itself, there is a mutate that plays better with that theme in Sea-Dasher Octopus, and while not a straight draw I have to imagine Looter il-Kor is a very attractive host target. And , we are often going to have the option to run Ohran Viper, Shadowmage Infiltrator, Cold-Eyed Selkie, or Tome-bound Lich instead of or in addition to the mono-blue options.
Ninja of the Deep Hours and Shadowmage Infiltrator also suffer from the drawback of being illegal targets for mutate, due to that pesky non-human clause, The ability to use him to reset a mutate is great, but I think most mutate decks will reach for non-human ninjas first,

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I added Ninja of the Deep Hours to all my decks ages ago, including the non-blue decks. Haven't drawn it yet, but someday....

More seriously, it's a fine card for Ninja decks. It's not as self-contained as Shadowmage Infiltrator or Thief of Sanity... or even Thieving Magpie in monoblue. However, it can come down and start drawing cards on turn 2 (assuming an evasive 1-drop), which is really good. Even if you don't get it down early, it can still be a fine card advantage engine if you can grant it evasion, and it can reset ETB effects on cards like Baleful Strix and Mulldrifter.

I think the main issue with Ninja of the Deep Hours (and other Ophidian effects) is that there are other, way more consistent ways to draw cards - especially in blue. Drawing multiple cards is hard unless you get it down early. It's worth considering for the decks that do synergize with it, but I don't think I'd ever be excited unless I was all-in on ninja stuff.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
Now that Ingenious Infiltrator exists this is only like the sixth or seventh best non-Yuriko Ninja in a dedicated Ninja deck, but of course I still run it and it is still fine. I'm still generally happy to see him in an opening hand even though he's "worse" than Yuriko or Infilitrator, because his Ninjutsu cost is very reasonable (allowing me to continue to reuse my Seers or Baleful Strixs) and unlike the rest of the ninjas with a Ninjutsu cost of 2 or less, his trigger is always relevant in a way that isn't necessarily true of Skullsnatcher or Mistblade Shinobi).

It's hard to imagine running it anywhere else - the problem is that even in a Blink/Bounce/Saboteur deck, this is ultimately a one-shot compared to more permanent boosts from flickering a 'drifter or just jamming a Coastal Piracy effect. In Pauper, this guy is a menace because the reset is so impactful (especially when he hits a Faerie Seer or a Spellstutter Sprite) and because in a one-on-one 20 life format, it is highly probable he'll get to crack in again (especially on turn 2) and even just one crack is good value. Here, one crack is a little under par but unless he was in the opener and you had a good target for him on turn 2, he's extremely unlikely to get a second swing in without significant support. Most decks that go that ham on good targets for an early Ninja are also happier to just develop the board and slam a Bident of Thassa (or, more likely, have such an effect in the command zone a la Edric, Spymaster of Trest or Derevi, Empyrial Tactician), so they would rather go wider than do ninja tricks.

I imagine once I actually get to play with Mutate I may test it in an Otrimi/Brokos/Illuna/Vadrok deck since it is either a "reset" of a mutate stack, or a fine "host" for an evasive mutate to turn into a Thieving Magpie. Even there though...

- I generally will want my "resets" instant speed or more reusable. I'd have to imagine Ghostly Flicker. Crystal Shard, Curfew, or Temur Sabertooth (3/4 mutate commanders are green) are better "resets". Nevermind that I'm in Blue and I'm either in green or white 100% of the time for Mutate.dec, and can also be running counterspells or defensive measures like Heroic Intervention or Flawless Maneuver to protect my mutate stack.

- I imagine most mutate decks are going to want their Ophidian hosts to have some measure of in-built evasion or additional keywords; again we're in the right color for Magpie itself, there is a mutate that plays better with that theme in Sea-Dasher Octopus, and while not a straight draw I have to imagine Looter il-Kor is a very attractive host target. And , we are often going to have the option to run Ohran Viper, Shadowmage Infiltrator, Cold-Eyed Selkie, or Tome-bound Lich instead of or in addition to the mono-blue options.
Ninja of the Deep Hours and Shadowmage Infiltrator also suffer from the drawback of being illegal targets for mutate, due to that pesky non-human clause, The ability to use him to reset a mutate is great, but I think most mutate decks will reach for non-human ninjas first,
D'oh! I join the ranks of the many who totally spaced that Mutate is "non-Human". Yeah definitely can't see Ninja making the cut in a mutate deck then.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020; Thaumatic Compass

Been awhile since we had a transform card. This...I kinda like it tbh. It takes all the pros of Journeyer's Kite and covers up it's drawbacks (nothing to do after you've stabilized) into a better Maze of Ith.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Generally pretty solid. Although tbh my preferred way to play it is to draw it when I'm already at 7 lands and just let it flip on its own. Activating the first side is pretty pricey, though probably worth it if you're stuck.

I think the allure of journeyer's kite that you can keep getting cards indefinitely is pretty unrealistic. It costs 8 mana just for the first two cards, that's a pretty unforgivable rate. Basically any draw spell would do better than that, and there's certainly no guarantee that it'll live long enough to do anything very impressive. compass flipping before it inadvertently gets blown up is a big improvement imo.

Kite is decent with Zirda, though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I don't think I put this in any of my decks in the end. Maybe my monoblack deck? It is slow, and I kinda feel like I would prefer card draw. I never consider maze of Ith for any decks so I never really felt like I wanted this.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 3 years ago

It is pretty slow of course. Some will mainly plan to have it flip right away and have as a better Maze. I do have it in a mono black deck that's pretty casual with a high cmc, so it's at least a repeatable if a bit expensive way to draw lands if you're stuck early. But raw card draw would probably be more wanted by most much of the time.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

We only own one and it is currently in our DirkGently-style Phelddagrif, naturally. It was in Daretti before then, and I'm running Journeyer's Kite instead which is arguably not a downgrade since putting lands in hand to then pitch to Daretti or Jaya Ballard, Task Mage or whatever is always helpful, but of course if I pull or acquire a second one it is absolutely going in and replacing Kite. As Dirk noted, the rate on Kite is pretty unforgivable even in a deck as hungry and desperate as mono-red looter.

11000ish decks feels about right - this card is good, but it is quite slow. Paying 5 for the first card, and having it always be not just a land but a basic land, is a heavy investment. It is obviously better than Arcane Encyclopedia or Crystal Ball, but depending on the deck, I'm not sure it is 1000% better (which is what EDHRECs numbers might suggest) - sometimes, you want to draw a real card and not a land.

If you are a controlling or midrangey non-green, non-blue deck this card definitely deserves a long look as it helps you hit your land drops and transforms into an amazing defensive tool once you're maxed out on mana. For more aggressive decks (or decks with access to better Draw or Ramp engines), this may be the wrong tool.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I have been playing a lot more Thaumatic Compass than I thought I would. the card is deceptive. It's so much mana, but there's not that many things like it (basically a strictly worse version out there I guess that doesn't flip:).

My golos decks just prioritize hitting their land drops so much because of the stupid golos mana sink (and him costing 5) that this is good, especially in mono black where the swamp quotient is so important.

I wouldn't mind if they'd make some more efficient Armillary Sphere effects, tbh. Oreskos Explorer has been real good to me.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2020; Thaumatic Compass
It's terribly slow, but for control decks, it's not half bad! I played it in Kenrith Twins, since Maze effects help us get to ults, and Rowan's ult makes it a double Maze.

3drinks

Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
We only own one and it is currently in our DirkGently-style Phelddagrif, naturally. It was in Daretti before then, and I'm running Journeyer's Kite instead which is arguably not a downgrade
Uwotm8? It's literally the same text as the CotD, with the capstone at seven lands. Journeyer's Kite is strictly worse because it has no capstone and is otherwise the same card.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

I'm a big fan of Thaumatic Compass // Spires of Orazca. Helps you hit land drops until hitting land drops becomes less relevant, at which point it becomes a solid defensive tool. It's somewhat interesting to compare to Journeyer's Kite - the flip ability gives it a lot more utility in the lategame and makes it a much stronger card for most decks. There are a lot of decks that have difficulty dealing with Spires, and even the threat of activation can be good enough to ward off attacks and point them elsewhere.

I will call out that it isn't a better Maze of Ith though. For one, you can't target your own creatures - relevant for comboing with Krosan Restorer and similar effects, but also relevant for giving a creature pseudo-vigilance (you can untap the creature after damage is dealt). More critically, it's much worse against multiple combats, which is a lesson I learned the hard way - I actually lost a game once because I expected it to prevent damage for the rest of the turn like Maze does (for context, a commander was getting pumped by Xenagos, God of Revels over multiple combats, and I Spires'd it during the first combat instead of the second, actually lethal combat).

Still, while it is a weaker defensive tool than Maze, tapping for mana is a significant upside. You probably won't need the extra mana that badly, but it's still nice to have.

edit:
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Uwotm8? It's literally the same text as the CotD, with the capstone at seven lands. Journeyer's Kite is strictly worse because it has no capstone and is otherwise the same card.
Not strictly better - if I were running a commander like Tatyova, Benthic Druid or Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant // Sasaya's Essence, I'd consider Journeyer's Kite - getting extra lands can be relevant even in the lategame for those decks, and the transform trigger is mandatory. Admittedly, those decks probably have better ways to hit their land drops, but it's still a case that comes up - if I were running mana sinks in a deck that wants to hit 20+ mana, it's conceivable that having extra lands to play is more valuable than the Spires effect.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
We only own one and it is currently in our DirkGently-style Phelddagrif, naturally. It was in Daretti before then, and I'm running Journeyer's Kite instead which is arguably not a downgrade
As they explain later on, there's situations where the extra lands in hand is more valuable than the flip side, and transforming the compass is mandatory. So if you want to have both 7+ lands and still continue to search up more, Journeyer's becomes more valuable since it doesn't turn into a land at the next end step.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
As they explain later on, there's situations where the extra lands in hand is more valuable than the flip side, and transforming the compass is mandatory. So if you want to have both 7+ lands and still continue to search up more, Journeyer's becomes more valuable since it doesn't turn into a land at the next end step.
This, yes. Thaumatic Compass // Spires of Orazca is not a "may" - if you're at seven lands, it flips. There are, very occasionally, times in Daretti's deck where I don't want that - I want to "draw an extra Mountain" every turn to fuel Daretti and/or Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle and/or Jaya Ballard, Task Mage.

Realistically, those times are rare enough that yes - Thaumatic Compass is close to strictly better. I just tell myself occasionally Kite has merit in Daretti to justify not running to spend another $4 on a deck my playgroup already hates playing against, because I am very cheap.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Zirda uses both Kite and Compass and then turns them into Bludgeon Brawl equips late game, yes?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

I like all of the transform lands for giving ramp options to off-green decks. I do think that the number of times I've actually activated Thaumatic Compass // Spires of Orazca can be counted on one hand though. I usually just flip it immediately with other ramp.

3drinks

Thursday, April 23rd, 2020; duneblast

Hate 7 mana sweeps but sometimes.....like at least the price is right.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

schweinefett

Post by schweinefett » 3 years ago

Cant say much about duneblast, except it seems ok costed as a voltron-deck finisher.

Nice that it's a choose choice too and not a target.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

All I can say is that they need to finish the cycle of 80's fantasy/sci-fi blast spells. Where is Tronblast? Willowblast? Blade Runnerblast?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I think this card is good enough, but it doesn't see a lot of play because:
1. There are better sweepers in these colors for less mana
2. These are the colors best at reanimating creatures and resetting after a normal wrath.
3. These are also the best colors for making indestructible creatures and making a wrath one sided.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Auto-include in Dune-Brood Nephilim.dec assuming you can convince your playgroup to let it fly as a Commander. Obviously it is actually a total bombo with the Nephilim, but you would be #winning on flavor.
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
I think this card is good enough, but it doesn't see a lot of play because:
1. There are better sweepers in these colors for less mana
2. These are the colors best at reanimating creatures and resetting after a normal wrath.
3. These are also the best colors for making indestructible creatures and making a wrath one sided.
This, yeah. It wasn't in my recently dismantled Doran, the Siege Tower list, for example, despite that deck being Voltron-y and in the right colors, and it was for all the reasons you mentioned - I had access to better sweepers that were still nearly one-sided like Austere Command, Wave of Reckoning, and Retribution of the Meek, AND I had multiple ways of making all or most my board indestructible like Timber Protector to just use Wrath of God as my additional sweeper of choice. I think this card could be a nice fun-of, but it ultimately has the problem of being more mana than Command or Merciless Eviction and also being so slow that a lot of heavy ramp decks might just look to spend an extra few mana on In Garruk's Wake to go fully one-sided.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Thursday, April 23rd, 2020; duneblast
It's really hard for this to compete with Divine Reckoning, or any wrath while you have an indestructible effect.

7 mana is a lot, let's not kid ourselves. It's not even really a save-ourselves wrath, its' a kill-the-other-guy wrath.

Mookie

Duneblast is pretty expensive for a board wipe - you can kill everything for four (or three) mana, so paying three extra to save one of your creatures is a significant cost. So, the question is 'how valuable is the creature I'm saving?' Most of the time, I think I'd prefer to just plan to have recursion available and kill everything. Still, it is a very clean solution to the problem. Also relevant if you're a voltron deck, in which case it also has the upside of clearing out blockers.

....somewhat interesting in that there are very few green board wipes. Novablast Wurm and Ezuri's Predation are pretty much the only ones I can think of (other than Hurricane effects). With the new wedge commander decks coming out and Duneblast being reprinted in the precon, I imagine we'll see more of it in the coming days.

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

When things like Tragic Arrogance and Single Combat, Divine Reckoning, and Cataclysm exist, it's hard to justify paying 7 mana for a Duneblast. If it were 4 mana it would definitely see play. 5 mana it would see less play, but still some.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”