[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Samwise the Stouthearted

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
4 years ago
That would be cool if it worked. Unfortunately, multiple copes of Seedborn Muse are redundant.
Oh, ish! We must've played it like it were a triggered ability.
Come to think of it, i rarely see Seedborn Muse anymore in my meta. Most of us turned away from generic good stuff a while back.
[/quote]

It's good in most decks, but great in a small number (mostly Stax decks and things like Ghave, Guru of Spores where you have a ready mana sink, along with anything blue; it can actually be pretty fun as a way to get around Rule of Law and friends).

Anyway, Soul Foundry is kind of...it's useful with populate and Parallel Lives and friends, and can be used to get a lot of entry triggers. It has Seedborn Muse potential. But at the same time, I'm paying 4 for the cost, and the CMC for the activation. It does let you stack up the devotion like for Gray Merchant of Asphodel, but, yeah, that mana cost kills it in Commander today.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

I play Soul Foundry in Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer for the express purpose of making a Seven Dwarves token to turn all my other tokens into. It's good, clean, casual fun.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

It is nice that the token sticks around for more than just your turn.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Thursday, January 16th, 2020; Sword of Truth and Justice

So, it's been a few months since release. How does this sword stack up to the rest?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago

So, it's been a few months since release. How does this sword stack up to the rest?
Mediocre outside of dedicated proliferate strategies/go-tall equipment decks. Pro-blue is meh and one or two +1/+1 counters is not up to par with other swords' abilities. The Rakdos sword on the other hand is pretty criminally underplayed despite how good removal on a stick is (hint: the artifact removal always has a target these days).
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 years ago

This sword is among the weakest, beside Sword of Body and Mind. The sword is still generically good because protection from two colors is still good, however with 6 other swords to choose from, this one is a bit weak in most equipment decks. The triggers are just too narrow to really earn it's deck space unless your in a counter strategy.

I picked one up because I want to have the 10 eventual swords in my Commander Cube, but don't play in any decks.

I agree that Sword of Sinew and Steel is much more interesting being targeted removal on contact. And you don't have to target the player you deal damage to, so you can politic your way to free removal, especially on Planeswalkers.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

The proliferate ability is obviously the most important here. I think that if you are playing a token-themed superfriends this could do a lot of work.
Or if you have a planeswalker commander

There are more reliable ways to proliferate every turn
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Any proliferate could [make you] do work in a superfriends deck. :P

This could be somewhat useful in Kalemne, but there are so many good equipment cards to choose from that this might not make the cut. I might try it because the pro-white would prevent StP/PoE (but so does hexproof), the +1/+1 counters only need to go on the commander, the proliferate is good for not just those but the experience counters (all to pump her power), but she has double strike which makes any sword better.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
It's pretty awful unless you're proliferating a hard-to-add counter or lots and lots of counters. I bought a little after release, and I don't think I've ever actually cast it.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 years ago

I've honestly never seen either new sword. I might consider this for Kalemne. My version is more 5cmc tribal than Voltron, but this actually does a lot with her. The basic sword bonus already is +2/2 on a double striker, which will add another +2/+2 from the counters after the first hit as well as another +1/+1 from the experience, followed by doing it again after the second. An additional seven damage the first turn you equip it is pretty good. Not as good as war and peace can be though. I have to see what other equipment I have before considering this as a 4th sword being W&P, Feast and Famine, and Fire and Ice. Those three are just too good to cut in Boros. W&P hits harder, feast and famine is CA that ramps, and Fire and Ice is CA.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Its.... ok in superfriends. I think I put it in like one deck ever so far. I would say I like the other new sword more but both of them have been fairly low on being played as a whole.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

I've run it in a couple decks. It turns Samut, Voice of Dissent into a two turn clock while adding some protection/evasion which plays well with the deck's game plan. I also run it (along with both other pro-white swords) in Eight-and-a-Half-Tails, where the triggers and stat buff are secondary to the protection. I like the idea of it in other decks but haven't had it make it past the first draft of any list yet.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
The proliferate ability is obviously the most important here. I think that if you are playing a token-themed superfriends this could do a lot of work.

Yes, but are any as on-theme for Superfriends? ("The American way" to follow.)

I like the synergy, and the proliferate is great in a Superfriends deck, or a deck focused on +1/+1 counters. You run Cathars' Crusade? This makes it even more busted, when it hits. I can make sure it hits.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Do infect decks exist? It's probably not enough to help, and I think those decks would just win with an alpha strike anyway.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
Do infect decks exist? It's probably not enough to help, and I think those decks would just win with an alpha strike anyway.
They do, here and there. One of my friends has an Atraxa infect deck. I don't think she's won with the infect yet, but she keeps getting closer as she tunes it and probably just likes watching us squirm when we get to 6-7 counters.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago

Yes, but are any as on-theme for Superfriends? ("The American way" to follow.)

I like the synergy, and the proliferate is great in a Superfriends deck, or a deck focused on +1/+1 counters. You run Cathars' Crusade? This makes it even more busted, when it hits. I can make sure it hits.
I wanna run this when I have Azor's Elocutors out....
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 4 years ago

Tier 1 territory here absolute beast in Mowu, Loyal Companion

3drinks

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
I'd love to put this on a plague stinger honestly.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

One of the weaker Swords of X & Y, but it still has its place - Sword of Truth and Justice is a reasonable way to get repeatable proliferate triggers, and the value of that can vary greatly depending on the deck. Even if you don't have anything to proliferate, you can always just grow the equipped creature for +2/+2 per hit. Protection from white is also fairly useful, although protection from blue tends to be a bit more niche.

At its best in a counter-based voltron strategy, as others have mentioned - Atraxa, Praetors' Voice and Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas are two pretty natural fits, but Skithryx, the Blight Dragon also appreciates it. Also pretty nasty with double strike, as Swords tend to be. Still, without any proliferate synergies, I don't think I would run it - there is a limit to how many pieces of equipment you can practically run in a deck, and other things make the cut before this.

3drinks

Friday, January 17th, 2020; boomerang and pretty closely related Regress

How many of us are still rocking old school traditional bounce spells in the post Cy. Rift world? I hope this doesn't become a Cy Rift appreciation thread.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Bouncing a land is so niche I think I'd always play one of the 1U nonland versions over boomerang outside of mono-blue, no matter how good my fixing is. Boomerang is obnoxious in 1v1 though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I don't think Tempo has enough value in a multiplayer format. Tradewind Rider, Far // Away, Recoil... all seem so much more interesting to me.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

I play more Captain Boomerang.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

that art is slightly trippy