[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Runechanter's Pike

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I most often see Clock with winter orb and stuff lately so I am not a huge fan :P

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Every time I play Clock of Omens in my Sharuum deck, the table panics because it looks like a combo piece. Except I only ever use it as a value engine - untapping Trading Post, Salvaging Station, Sol Ring, and other things with useful abilities. I'm not going to say it can't be used as a combo piece in that deck, but it only ever really shows up in janky 6+ piece combos.

Still, even as a value engine, it works pretty well. You do need a pretty high concentration of artifacts though - and, more importantly, enough artifacts that you're willing to tap. Works very well with equipment and artifacts with static abilities, and even better with Howling Mine and other artifacts that turn off when tapped. If you're only running mana rocks, then tapping two mana rocks to untap a third one is... pretty ineffective, most of the time. It is also one of the best ways to accelerate Grimoire of the Dead and Lux Cannon, which otherwise require a lot of setup.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Sunday, January 5th, 2020; Sudden Demise

I remember this being a pretty big deal when it was new. Has it maintained that initial reputation? I don't tend to see it at all, even in mono colour, which seems like a mistake.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

I don't think I've ever seen Sudden Demise run. It seems.... fine? But I suspect most people (including myself) forgot that it existed. Could be a good piece of tech if there is a lot of a specific color in your meta, or if you want to hate on monocolor decks, but I expect it to be pretty rare for a meta to have more monocolor decks than 3+ color decks.

My main concern for this is how often it will be a one-sided board wipe vs. how many times it will be used as inefficient spot removal - discount Plague Wind is exciting, Heat Ray is not. I'm not a huge fan of X-cost damage-based removal in general though - there are too many big things (ex: Ghalta, Primal Hunger) that are too expensive to burn away. If I do need a damage-based board wipe, I lean towards Chain Reaction and Blasphemous Act, which tend to be more efficient.

May be interesting if you're running ways to manipulate colors though, such as Distorting Lens in a Jaya Ballard, Task Mage deck.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Well, when you talk about Earthquake and friends, I just see the x as a key thing for sweeps, adaptability. This one in particular will often be used as an anti-token sweep, or to wipe out all mana elves. But if you're not in the offending color, it won't affect you.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I used to play it in wort, the raidmother where it was very good at not killing my bros and sometimes getting two opposing colors (or doubling up on one efficiently).

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I concur with Mookie - there are a lot of fail cases to consider. Creatures too fat, enemies playing the same colors as you, creatures not sharing enough colors so you're only hitting one critical creature, and just the generally high cost of the thing, plus it being a sorcery, which is not ideal for tap-out boardwipes. If I want to wipe the board, I'd rather pay 4-5 for it and have it be guaranteed. If I want to kill a single target, I'd rather pay 1-3 for it. This has a really strong potential, but often won't hit that, and will almost always be pretty expensive.

I don't think I'd hardly ever play this in RW or RB. RU it's pretty unlikely. RG is possible, especially in a ramp-heavy deck, though I still think it'd just be ok at best.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

Monday, January 6th, 2020; Nemesis Mask

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Could combo with deathtouch?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Or indestructible plus removal? Useful or not, I dig the art.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks

I had a "combo" with this on a reassembling skeleton holding a dead-iron sledge once. That's about the best I got, besides just forcing attacks though.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

I mean, it's 1 of 2 non-green ways to get this effect, Breaker of Armies being the other. But the effect is too conditional, and no one wants it.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Almost certainly useful somewhere. I don't doubt there are commanders that want to be blocked (Glissa the Traitor?).

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

Syr Gwin and especially Zurgo can use this, you can also add dead-iron sledge or a deadtouch giver

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

This card is actually really good because unlike classic Lure, there's no risk of a two-for-one, while with classic Lure, two-for-one is guaranteed.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 years ago

Its biggest failing, as with all such effects, is that while it's actually pretty effective at forcing through attacks, that's only for one player, while the other players can block normally, so it's only good for taking people out one at a time unless there's only 1 opponent you'll have trouble getting through to. That's a bad position to be in because it gives everyone at least a turn cycle to handle you.

So you either want a creature that you actively want opponents to block, which means some grindy little mini combo, or you want to be able to force attacks for something other than lethal damage. The latter seems promising, using this to get creatures with combat damage triggers through unblocked while everything has to block a token. You still are open to blowouts if the creature gets removed before the declare blockers step. Still, could be reasonable backup in something like Sidar Kondo

3drinks

onering wrote:
4 years ago
Its biggest failing, as with all such effects, is that while it's actually pretty effective at forcing through attacks, that's only for one player, while the other players can block normally, so it's only good for taking people out one at a time unless there's only 1 opponent you'll have trouble getting through to. That's a bad position to be in because it gives everyone at least a turn cycle to handle you.

So you either want a creature that you actively want opponents to block, which means some grindy little mini combo, or you want to be able to force attacks for something other than lethal damage. The latter seems promising, using this to get creatures with combat damage triggers through unblocked while everything has to block a token. You still are open to blowouts if the creature gets removed before the declare blockers step. Still, could be reasonable backup in something like Sidar Kondo
I believe the card you're wanting is Disrupt Decorum. Really wish this weren't a one-shot...

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

I've considered Nemesis Mask before, back when my Tasigur deck was helmed by Sisters of Stone Death. Lure is a pretty powerful ability - both to grant to expendable creatures to enable an alpha strike, and to throw on big, scary creatures to act as removal. It works particularly well with on-block effects like Infiltration Lens and Engulfing Slagwurm. Hilarious with Stuff Doll. Seems like it may be good in a Virtus the Veiled // Gorm the Great deck, or Rhonas the Indomitable.

The main downside of the Mask is that it is fairly expensive to use - six mana is a hefty investment for something that doesn't provide stats, keywords, or card advantage. It is also fairly soft to removal - if you alpha strike into a bunch of blockers and your Lure'd creature gets removed, combat will go pretty poorly for you. Throwing it on something indestructible makes you a lot less vulnerable though.

3drinks

Tuesday, January 7th, 2020; Plasm Capture

Has this ever been playable? I know that second clause is mighty tempting...

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Has this ever been playable? I know that second clause is mighty tempting...
Depends on your definition of 'playable'. I've used it to pretty decent effect in a playgroup that's not super competitive in a Lands deck that also has Mystic Snake and Frilled Mystic. YMMV.
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Same. If it's not a cutthroat group, it works fine....and might even be an all-star. Sometimes you don't have anything immediately playable and hold back a bunch of lands (easily being able to cast this).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sharpened

I think there's an interesting contrast between yesterdays and todays card of the day, despite the fact that the cards could not possibly be more different from each other.

First, back to Nemesis Mask:

People were oddly complimentary about this card.
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Almost certainly useful somewhere.
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
This card is actually really good because unlike classic Lure, there's no risk of a two-for-one, while with classic Lure, two-for-one is guaranteed.
[mention]onering[/mention] and [mention]Mookie[/mention] are more realistic.

Look, Nemesis Mask is not good. It's just not. Lure effects tend to never see play outside of limited, and I remember pretty clearly that this card was garbage in Mirrodin limited. I'm not saying you have to simply dismiss the card as "bad" and move on, but don't discuss it in a manner so that if someone uninformed reads your post, the think the card is strong.

No one plays Nemesis Mask - only 510 decks on EDHRec. The decks that do play it tend to be bad general decks that want to do weird and fun stuff regardless of quality - Gabriel Angelfire - getting something with Rampage 3 blocked by a swarm of creatures is hilarious. A lot of the decks that play this also play other versions of the effect Lure, Noble Quarry, Destined // Lead, Ochran Assassin.

Evaluating the card, there are two real questions:
Is Nemesis Mask the best version of this effect?
and
Is this effect something you care about/want/worth running?

For the first question: Is Nemesis Mask the best version of this effect?
Not really. If your not green, then sure, because its pretty much the only version you have access to. But otherwise, not so much. Other versions are cheaper and/or have secondary effects. Sure, you can get 2-for-1'd with Lure by instant speed removal, and you get to keep the Mask if that happens with this card, but what about the rest of the game situation? If you expected the blockers to leave a clear path, now they won't and you still get blown out in combat, that 2-for-1 is the least of your worries.

The second question: Is this effect something you care about/want/worth running?
Generally, the answer to that is no.
If you want to kill your opponents creatures, there are better ways to do it than using this with a deathtoucher or some other beatstick that will demolish whatever it runs into in combat.
If you want to get most of your team through combat unblocked, there are also usually better ways to do so.
Look, if you still want it. Great. Have fun. When the stars align and this card actually accomplishes what you want it to do, I'm sure it will be fantastic. No one wins the lottery by refusing to play, even if refusing to play is the "smart" choice.

As for todays card : Plasm Capture

It's also a card that doesn't really fit the definition of "strong". A 4 mana counterspell is almost never "good". Also, in more cutthroat groups, the average converted mana costs of what your opponents are casting goes down, so it's less likely that you'll get as big a payoff with this. But if your playing opponents with slower decks, And you have big things to cast yourself, this one can lead to great plays. And the main alternative that does something similar is $90.

Both these cards are the same in that the optimized deck doesn't run them.
But Plasm Capture isn't something most people can play a substitute for, and is splashy and fun, and requires common things to happen to be good. Think like 2 birds standing next to each other so you can hit them both with 1 stone.
Nemesis Mask has a bunch of substitutes, some of which are better, can be splashy and fun, but requires a lot to go right for a good payoff. Think like a bird flying between the pitcher and home plate so that Randy Johnson explodes it with a fastball.

Also, I apparently harbor serious aggression towards birds.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Sharpened wrote:
4 years ago
Look, if you still want it. Great. Have fun. When the stars align and this card actually accomplishes what you want it to do, I'm sure it will be fantastic. No one wins the lottery by refusing to play, even if refusing to play is the "smart" choice.
1. This whole format is about making suboptimal decisions (or less than 'smart' choices). We're not all playing top-tier cEDH decks, so at some point, we've all made a 'bad decision'.

2. Your position is that playing Nemesis Mask is a 'bad decision'.

3. Unless you always play top tier cEDH decks, I don't see why your 'bad decisions' are somehow more forgivable in some weird cosmic sense than my 'bad decisions'.

I'll understand if it isn't your cup of tea, but, forgive me if Idgaf about that when talking about something is my cup of tea.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 years ago

The AABB cost is just tough. I have access to drain so I never consider this, but for those that don't it's fine in the right meta. They are comparable late game, and even sometimes mid game, but Drain is at its most absurd when you counter something key early and it ramps you 2-4 Mana on turns 2 or 3. That's when it really puts you ahead. Getting ramped 6 turn 6 is also great, but your also leaving up UUGG on a turn that most people are making significant plays, so that's a proactive move where your looking to counter something so you can slam ulamog next turn rather than a reaction to something important that then pays dividends. This card is at its best in flash decks that want to end of turn most things so they can keep their Mana up for responses, because they won't waste the Mana they hold for it and then can use the Mana it gives them to be proactive.

Personally, I like snake more. Being a creature is important, because you can start blinking it at instant speed or recurring it or returning it to your hand to get multiple uses from it, it's 2/2 pt is relevant in certain decks, and you can use it as sac fodder or whatever. It even wears swords in a pinch. And it's easier to cast. And you can cheat it out.

Sharpened

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Sharpened wrote:
4 years ago
1. This whole format is about making suboptimal decisions (or less than 'smart' choices). We're not all playing top-tier cEDH decks, so at some point, we've all made a 'bad decision'.

2. Your position is that playing Nemesis Mask is a 'bad decision'.

3. Unless you always play top tier cEDH decks, I don't see why your 'bad decisions' are somehow more forgivable in some weird cosmic sense than my 'bad decisions'.

I'll understand if it isn't your cup of tea, but, forgive me if Idgaf about that when talking about something is my cup of tea.
The point of the thread is to discuss the cards. So I was discussing the cards. I'm reading a lot of hostility in your post, I apologize if you feel attacked or insulted, as I was not intending to do either.

1. There is nothing wrong with making "suboptimal" or "less than smart" or "bad" decisions. I never said there was. Make your bad decisions. I make mine. But I think its important, especially in discussion about those decisions, to be clear about what they are.

I won't put off-color fetches in a deck (Windswept Heath in Korvold, Fae-Cursed King, for example. My deck would be more powerful with that Windswept Heath. I'm fine making that decision, but it would be foolish to insist that the deck is more powerful without it. Prioritize what you prioritize, and make the decisions you are comfortable with. But don't lie about what they are, to other people or yourself (Or do - it's your life, I don't control you).

2. Playing Nemesis Mask is a bad decision. The card is not the strongest version of that effect available. If you are going to build your deck in such a way that you want that effect (which is also probably a bad decision), you probably want to play a bunch of other cards to accomplish that before you look at Nemesis Mask. That's not to say you can't choose to play it anyway. It's just not strong. Acknowledging that it is weak, the effect is weak, and the situations required for the payoff are less common than may be desired is a valid line of conversation when discussing the card.

3. Not all "bad decisions" are created equal. Eating Skittles for breakfast is a "bad decision". Urinating in my neighbors mailbox is also a "bad decision". It's not incomprehensible that someone could look at those two decisions and evaluate one as being worse than the other. Nor do all bad decisions require forgiveness in the cosmic sense (although urinating in a neighbors mailbox, an act that is definitely NOT analogous to playing Nemesis Mask likely does require forgiveness). Eating Skittles for breakfast is much more comparable. And if someone posted "Eating Skittles for breakfast - what are your thoughts?" than it would not be out of line to say that it's a bad idea and discuss the reasons why. That doesn't mean no one else can eat Skittles for breakfast. Again, you do you.

Look, if you don't care what other peoples opinions are, why are you reading a thread that's designed for people to post and discuss their opinions?? You do care. We all do. That's why we read and discuss. You don't have to be controlled by other peoples opinions. None of us do. Fortunately, no one is suggesting you should be.

And look, I compared the ideal situation with Nemesis Mask (or lure effects in general) to Randy Johnson blowing up an unfortunate bird. I made that comparison because the effect is hard to pull off in a meaningful way and requires specific unlikely situations (like getting to swing a Gabriel Angelfire wearing Nemesis Mask into an army of untapped blockers with your opponents having no way to prevent it). But that Randy Johnson was 20+ years ago, and I don't follow baseball, and it's still something I can remember seeing and deem worthy to talk about. It was awesome (horrible, but awesome). Getting a rampaging Gabriel Angelfire into triple digits would also be awesome.

The best stories often start with bad decisions. That doesn't make the decisions good, but it's about what you care about. And if your goal is to have the best stories, have fun making your bad decisions.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”