What are your favorite cards from 2020?

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

The Courts. Monarch is an awesome mechanic in EDH.

All the cards that buff equipment/aura theme are great too, encouraging more combat in EDH.

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Good thread.

For me, the cards that I was most excited about are as follows (in semi-sequential order):
  • Nyxbloom Ancient - WOTC finally did it. They made a mana-TRIPLER. Did I order one ASAP? I sure did. Eldritch Evolutioning away my Golos to find this guy so I can activate Golos's ability 3-4 times in one turn is the definition of stupidity... and I love the hell out of my semi-competitive Golos deck with its absurd interactions.
  • Erebos's Intervention - all of the Interventions are uniquely flexible cards, but I like the flexibility and lifegain this one offers the most. Besides, I'm a Dimir mage at heart so I have a preference towards good cards in these colors.
  • Thassa's Oracle - a TRIGGERED win-the-game clause? Silly, silly decision WOTC. It's the exclusive reason why Tainted Pact is sold out everywhere and costs $60+ to find. I love it for my cEDH games though. Good, clean win condition.
  • The Theros full-art astronomy lands. Those things are freaking gorgeous. Best full-art lands imo.
  • Shark Typhoon - because Shark-nado ABSOLUTELY deserved a card. Fight me! Lol.
  • Drannith Magistrate - I have a soft-spot in my heart for my Kaalia Stax deck, and the Magistrate imposes a great restriction with great stats and CMC. But just for my opponents.
  • Kalamax, the Stormsire - the lightning-bolt Stegosaurus of DOOM. This card alone has allowed me to recapture the feeling of one of my most favorite decks of all time: my Dralnu Infinite Turns deck. So much fun with that deck and Kalamax does everything I want to do for a spellslinger deck.
  • Xyris, the Writhing Storm - Sneks On A Plane!
  • Charix, the Raging Isle - I had a Lorthos deck once upon a time that I loved that was also terrible. Krakens and Leviathans and giant sea monsters hold a special place in my heart.
  • Archon of Emeria - because Kaalia is bae.
  • Silundi Vision // Silundi Isle - this card is a superstar in my Kalamax deck that my brother gifted me and I've been very impressed with the other MDFC cards that were printed. Good design concept.
  • Feed the Swarm - enchantment removal in Black! It only took nearly 30 years, but WOTC finally did it!
  • Omnath, Locus of Creation - the minute I saw this card I told my best MTG friend "This card is going to break Standard. I'm done with MTG Arena." I logged off my MTG Arena account for the last time after I saw this card, and I have no regrets about it. When one single card can invalidate any and all Aggro strategies, I knew that I wanted a copy of it for my Golos deck. This card is so absurdly powerful. It breaks some fundamental rules of Magic and is a card I often tutor for in my Golos deck, because I'm that degenerate who shoves every good card into one deck.
  • Any good reprints from Double Masters and Commander Legends. Making some cEDH staples more accessible is always a good thing imo, and I realize not everyone agrees with me on that.
  • Profane Transfusion, Keskit, the Flesh Sculptor, Armix, Filigree Thrasher, Phyrexian Triniform - they're all so Phyrexian! I love it. Phyrexia is my favorite story concept, and after WOTC betrayed Bolas's character with the GOD-AWFUL War of the Spark storyline, I now have a small, small glimmer of hope that the MTG story will get interesting again. Seriously, I can't convey how incredibly disappointed and frustrating it was to read the buildup towards the War of the Spark story and then see Bolas basically get sneezed at and die (but not really die, because plot device and laziness).
  • Hullbreacher + Opposition Agent are my top 2 cards of the year. As a dedicated cEDH player, these kind of effects are super welcome since that particular format is so fast and powerful. Contrary to popular opinion, cEDH games now often go WAY past T6,-T7 now, and powerful effects like this will help slow down the format more. The complexity of strategy and in-game decisions has been massively heightened because of these two cards, and I LOVE it.

Shabbaman
crying casual
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Shabbaman » 3 years ago

Not exactly "a card", but the new cards that excited me most are the Ikoria's comic book alternate arts and to a lesser extent the Godzilla alternate arts. Not that I got all of them, but in some way these cards got me excited. I like alternate art versions. If I would need to point at a specific card that stands out for me it'd be Hagra Mauling. Doublesided cards are an abomination, but this card challenged me to include it in every deck I could.
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Oh man, I can't believe I didn't mention Ram Through! My green fatties deck has made good use of it, and has knocked players out entirely. Very rad common.
Seconded.
“Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”