Navigating players' pet peeves...

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Prior to the recent surge in C19 cases, I was playing Commander at my LGS, and it became increasingly irritating and cumbersome to deal with players' pet peeves. Here are a few examples:

- In one pod, a player was piloting a mill deck aided by a T1 Altar of the Brood, and while it was a bit annoying, another player absolutely hated it. He said he hated mill because he didn't put all of these cards in his deck just to have them milled. Oddly, the unhappy player knocked me out of that game with - wait for it - Altar of Dementia. This guy is not some sort of jerk, mind you; I'd say he's one of the most amiable players in the shop. I did feel the need to point out the hypocrisy though, and that his reasoning also works against the counterspell-heavy nature of his deck.

- In another pod, I played Agent of Treachery to the particular chagrin of one player who announced that he absolutely hated theft effects. And he didn't stop complaining.

- Another guy can't help but whine and moan whenever anyone interacts with his board. He gets really aggressive about it and I've had to address it with him personally.

My overall point is...I'm sick of the complaining. I try not to be outwardly annoyed at things that are intrinsic to the game, which covers most things. I also understand that people have their pet peeves, but when people bellyache incessantly, or act as if their peeves are universal, it starts to suck the fun out of the game.

What say you, Nexus? Do you agree with me? Are you guilty of this behavior? If so, do you believe yourself to be justified in some or all situations? Do you judge me for being bald? Let's hear it.
Last edited by RxPhantom 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I don't think I have any egregious triggers. I'll certainly complain if my stuff gets stolen or if my board is interacted with, but I'm not against either of those in principle. If I get milled, I'll usually be happy about it - a lot of my decks have heavy graveyard components.

That said, there are a few things that will get me pretty salty, particularly mass land destruction and Mindslaver effects. Looking at EDHREC's salt page, I don't think that's unique to me. I also really dislike hatebear decks and other decks designed to stop your opponents from playing the game. I don't mind hate pieces in isolation, but it can get frustrating when they start adding up. I also really dislike infect, but I think that's a learned response to only ever seeing infect cards used as part of a cheap one-shot kill.

brainface

Post by brainface » 3 years ago

To be generous to your opponents, perhaps people were just frustrated in general and that bled into the game? Being upset about mill and then milling someone to death is a bit nonsensical, to the point i might be blaming it on covid/2020 making everyone more than reasonably irritable. (Not to mention... often enough cards in the graveyard are more accessible than when in your deck!)

Also... sometimes people play games when they're feeling irritable and snotty and maybe shouldn't have. None of these sound like reasonable objections.

I have occasionally been that player though, disliking "oh no a counterspell", theft, combos, etc. We all have bad days and things that make us a little irritable, we just have to remember that we're not playing the game with ourselves, in my mind.

ZenN
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
- Another guy can't help but whine and moan whenever anyone interacts with his board. He gets really aggressive about it and I've had to address it with him personally.
This one here is a big problem in my group. One guy who consistently insists that he's always the one being targeted (which he's not) and another who goes full tilt whenever he gets interacted with, because he's "never allowed to do anything".

I most often just tune it out. The first guy I'm 90% sure is doing it intentionally to try to convince people not to target him, and the second is, frankly, just punching above his weight, in both deck construction and game experience/knowledge. Feels a little bad to say it, but it is what it is. He's also one of those players who is constantly not paying attention to the game when it isn't his turn, so he frequently does things like playing a tutor into an Ashiok, Dream Render, and then tries to take it back.

In my opinion, these things are very much them problems, and not things I need to be trying to play around. There is a big gap between someone doing something clearly not kosher in a given group (like running Armageddon when you know that's just not a thing your group generally does), and then just playing the game and getting whined at for it.

I will do what I can to avoid the former, but in my experience, the latter is generally a case of people being unprepared for whatever you're doing and they blame you for it. This gets brought up often, but so many people build decks without any way to deal with people's boards, and then whine when you deal with theirs, because they think they should just be allowed to put their whole deck on the table.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I'm pretty burned out on pointless grumbling about things that are core features of the format (e.g. countermagic) for sure.

Someone's got to win :)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Most of this stuff I've found you sort of have to ride out unless you know the folk pretty well. You can start pointing out that its irrational, but often that'll just make people even grumpier.

It is something you can approach politically - if you have removal, try to resolve the issue for them and gain yourself an ally. There's a chance it backfires if the player in question has no firepower or poor threat assessment, but that's multiplayer politics, you just take it as it comes. The other way to manage this is just to use their tilt, subtly wind them up and leverage it for political gains. Whatever works, depending on how machiavellian you're feeling.

Personally I have two pet peeves, but I feel like they're both pretty reasonable.

Firstly, MLD without a follow up play. The only reason I can think of doing this is to intentionally make people miserable. I've come across it with Lord Windgrace decks a couple times with regularity, and honestly, I'll just scoop and find something else.

Secondly, playing stacked decks against tables of relative minnows, or not playing a deck that scales to the table. It's a strange one sometimes, in that if you only bring one deck you're stuck with what you have, and it can be a little weird in terms of nerfing specific strategies, but mostly I think it's just a case of being considerate enough to play the sort of game the most people are going to be happy with.

Aside from that my turn ons are long walks on the beach and cuddles by the fire.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

brainface

Post by brainface » 3 years ago

The first guy I'm 90% sure is doing it intentionally to try to convince people not to target him,
Oh my gosh this is my pet peeve. Creating social static to make your permanents harder to target, because if you answer another player's permanents you don't get as much whining.

This has led to another of my friends responding to "But why are you targeting me?" with "Because I'm trying to win the game", which is the perfect canned response to such complaints, in my opinion.

ZenN

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Aside from that my turn ons are long walks on the beach and cuddles by the fire.
Oh, uh... Hey. What's up?
brainface wrote:
3 years ago
This has led to another of my friends responding to "But why are you targeting me?" with "Because I'm trying to win the game", which is the perfect canned response to such complaints, in my opinion.
This is definitely a solid answer to that sort of person, and along the lines of what I usually say before the aforementioned tuning out happens. That, or I just steer right into it and say something like, "because you smell funny and I want you to lose". :)
Commander

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Grumbling, salty nerds are a quintessential facet of magic unfortunately, and even the best of us have our unpleasant days. The best you can do is address them calmly and don't let their tilt affect you. If you find you no longer enjoy playing against them, you can either crush them mercilessly despite their despair or simply not play with them anymore. But you should never, ever negotiate with terrorists.

For example, in my group there's one player who we'll call "J" to protect the inoocent. J is very spikey, and since he started playing edh, he has immediately jumped to playing cedh decks every game regardless of the rest of the table. Now, we all have multiple decks at multiple power levels, except for J. J only ever brings one and he frequently leans on his lack of options as his rationale for bringing machine guns to metaphorical knife fights. My policy is I'll play exactly one cedh game per night, but I won't play 2-5 rounds of 4 turn games in an evening just so he can try to pad his win %. It's not that I want to ostracize him or never play with him again, but I have determined what I'm willing to put up with and what I certainly won't. Sure, I play less magic overall because of this, but I'd rather play less than consign myself to being stomped because he wants to hold the group hostage to his powerlevel. C'est la vie, when our lgs opens back up, we'll simply play in different pods like before and the issue shall evaporate.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Antis

Post by Antis » 3 years ago

Ohh, this is a good topic!
RxPhantom wrote:...hated mill effects...hated theft effects...interacts with his board..."
All of these sound way exaggerated to me. I mean, as long as someone isn't comboing out, those things don't even mean you're necessarily in trouble. I think you're right to talk to those players and try to get them to calm down.
Mookie wrote:I'll certainly complain if my stuff gets stolen or if my board is interacted with, but I'm not against either of those in principle.
I mean, there are also degrees of complaining, right? I can often "complain" in a friendly table-banter manner, like saying "Aww! My pretties! You moster!", and it's all in good fun. Then there is reasonable complaining when destroying your thing is an obvious bad threat assessment. Then there's just whining whenever they touch your stuff and that's just in poor taste.
pokken wrote:I'm pretty burned out on pointless grumbling about things that are core features of the format (e.g. countermagic) for sure.
I think countermagic in EDH can also be roughly split into three categories:

1) "Just a skosh" — You play some very small amount of counterspells, say four or five tops. I don't usually play countermagic, but when I do, it's this type. I find it the most fun because for just a few slots in my decklist, it makes opponents very nervous. From the moment they see me counter ONE THING, they live in fear that yeah, I'm not playing many of them, I'm usually not countering their big things...but I MIGHT O_O

2) The Control — Decks that play like standard blue control with tons of C-spells and a low number of actual threats. If played fair, I'd say such a deck, while annoying at time, has an inherent weakness at a multiplayer table. You usually can't counter everyone. You draw attention, people gang up on you, the end. If, however, this is played as a background to a deck loaded with tutors and infinite combos, them screw that guy, I'm not playing with them again.

3) Draw-Go — Decks dedicated to countering EVERYTHING. Besides running tons of it in the first place, these decks also dig through their grave to get used counterspells back. They complement it by playing things like Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir. They run green for Seedborn Muse. This is hardly ever fun. So, in short, kill these on sight.

I'm usually a very calm person, enjoying table banter and usually, the people I play with are chill as well. There were, however, some cases when I had to speak up. Keep me from playing the game too much and I'll complain. MLD is obvious. Mass discard is, too. Type 3 counterdeck can die in a fire. If I have a pet peeve, though, it's probably infinite combos, extreme misplays, and playing for second.

Infinite combos because I feel ending the game with one completely negates the fun part that preceded it. An infinite combo doesn't care about the board state, nor what happened in the last ten turns. It just hits the table and wins. That's no fun for me. For me, ending the game abruptly with an infinite combo is like mom coming upstairs and telling us we have to go home. I'll never know who would've won if things went "normally".

Extreme misplays annoy me in the case that someone had the perfect answer for what I thought was an obvious maximum threat at the table and they waste it on something completely inconsequential. Made even worse if it's because of some petty revenge for something that happened earlier in the game.

Playing for second annoys me because that's one thing that can throw off my perception of the board. Together with extreme misplays, it OFC mostly annoys me when it costs me a win =)

From the conflicts I remember, there's one guy (A) I remember who was of the "You guys are always targeting me!" variety. I usually play very politically and there was this situation where this person had a third player (B) at his mercy and swung for the kill and I intervened and saved B's life. Both A and B had been locked in combat for many turns by then, both had stompy decks (Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma and Ghired, Conclave Exile respectively) and good board presence. I was in a situation where I still needed a few turns to get on their level. So I thought, if I let it happen, A would kill B, and then he'd easily kill me because I wasn't ready to take him on, yet. But if I save B, I reasoned, they'll keep fighting and I'll have a chance to steal the win. (There was a fourth player, but he was inconsequential to all this.)
So I did it, made the attack not lethal and A went ballistic. Took it personally to the bone. I apologized to him and tried to explain myself, but it was useless. After a while, B intervened and helped me calm A down, but he was trés salty for the rest of the session. He apparently just wanted to take down B, no matter what happened next and I took that from him. (BTW, my plan failed, because B literally topdecked Thalia, Heretic Cathar, the lucky bastard, so my creatures ETB'd tapped and it went downhill from there. I still maintain that it was the correct play from me, but alas.)

The one somewhat recent case I remember when I lost my nerves was when I was playing a threeway against an Emiel the Blessed deck and was trying real hard to prevent him from comboing out. That was at the time when Jumpstart was only being spoiled, so the Emiel player was literally using his phone with Emiel's picture on the screen as his commander (that was kinda cool, actually). But I'm experienced enough to see where the deck was going. Blinks, Eternal Witness, Karmic Guide, Reveillark...you can see it now, too, I'm sure. The Emiel guy noticed I saw through him, so the battle was mainly between the two of us. The third player, however, wasn't as experienced as we were. And since I was playing Rakdos, Lord of Riots, he saw my big beaters and threw all kinds of sticks under my feet. I tried to tell him that I have to stop the combo, but he didn't listen too much and the game ended, IIRC, with me casting Living Death after exiling the Emiel player's grave. He saved something with Emiel, so I knew I only had limited time to finish him before he can start doing more silly stuff, but then the third player destroyed some of my stuff, which made me unable to finish Emiel in time, resulting in his win.
And I got angry and raised my voice and basically told the third player "WTF, man?!" When I calmed down, I felt bad, went to him, and apologized. I explained to him why I got angry, but also that I get why he did what he did, and I suggested that he takes it as a lesson in threat assessment.

As for things I myself do that may make people salty:
  • I have an Ephara, God of the Polis deck. It's my one slow, controlly, grindy deck, which already may turn some people off, but I also play Dimensional Breach in there as my last resort nuclear option. Yes, it exiles lands as well. Now, the removal is not permanent, people do get their stuff back in time and it's kinda fun to decide what you should bring each turn, but at the same time, it is a complete reset of the board. Plus, since very few people seem to know this card even exists, it catches them completely by surprise. Now, casting this thing usually does lead to my victory, especially if I cast it when I can get enough mana into my pool to recast Ephara immediately afterwards (if I don't, I just let her be exiled with it and return her first thing), but it's a slow, value win rather than something big. Haven't had someone directly call me up for casting it, yet, but I've seen some subtle groans.
  • Also in the same deck, repeatedly flickering Lavinia of the Tenth can get people a tiiiny bit upset after a while. Again, I think part of the problem is that the deck taked a good ol' while to actually kill people. When I get to posting the list here, it'll be one of those where I'll be genuinely asking for advice on how to make the wins happen faster.
  • I play Pathrazer of Ulamog, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, and Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre in my Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck. Annihilator hurts, no doubt about that. For one thing, it's Rakdos, I just couldn't help it. I don't play tutors (with the sole exception of Rune-Scarred Demon, because that's on-theme), so they're far from hitting the table every game, which makes it more bearable. Also, Rakdos is my end-of-the-session, too-tired-to-think deck that embraces Rakdos's inherent archenemy status and positively revels in it.
  • Mindslaver in Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient. Again, no tutors, just card draw. That approach has been working for me very well in general, BTW. People are generally more forgiving if the annoying card only appears once in ten games or so. And just like with annihilator in Rakdos, the prospect of copying Mindslaver's ability with Kurkesh to control two players at once is just too cool to pass up.
  • My Titania, Protector of Argoth contains Possessed Portal as a game-ending lockdown. It fits right into the deck, since it grows my army while it whittles down my opponents, but since it abruptly stops any and all card drawing for as long as it's on the table, it feels oppressive for my opponents. It's one of those cards that say "Either you have an answer for this right now, or you're screwed." But on the other hand, it fits the strategy and it actually makes me kill everyone faster when it's up, so I hope that makes it more bearable. And, once again, I have no way to search for it, so it happens kinda rarely.
  • The second potentially irritating card in my Titania is Glacial Chasm. Positive: it only protects me, it doesn't prevent the other players from playing Magic. Negative: it makes me pretty much impervious to most conventional ways of killing people in Magic. Positive: it involves sacrificing lands, so it makes me kill people faster. Negative: I actually CAN search for this one. I mitigate this by being aware that Titania is the most cutthroat of my regularly-played decks, so I use her only when the table can handle her.
  • I have a five-color infect Zoo deck. Currently under reconstruction, it's basically all the faster infect creatures there are plus some pump spells, cards that let the infect guys deal direct damage to players, and proliferate. It literally plays like a classic Zoo deck, only it can actually kill people in Commander. Now, I know some people hate infect with a passion, but at the same time, this deck is no 0-10 Triumph of the Hordes BS, it's just aggro. I literally play Giant Growth|4ED in that deck. Yes, the 4th Edition one. You know, with the big mouse and a pile of skulls. It can go fast, yeah, but at the same time, the creatures are small by themselves and I have two to three opponents to take down. In practice, it forces my opponents to do what they'd have to do against a classic Zoo deck at 20 life — actually engage in combat from turn one. A lot of people simply don't expect that from a Commander game.
  • I also have a Child of Alara deck that's a bona fide nukatron. I almost never play it anymore, but it is without a doubt the meanest deck I own. Basically, I only bring it out when someone's being a douche. It does it all — Sun Titan bringing back Pernicious Deed, Trinket Mage searching for Engineered Explosives, Flashing in Ashen Rider to break combos, using Read the Runes and Diabolic Intent to sac Academy Rector, False Prophet, and Yosei, the Morning Star, tutoring up Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and then killing you with Last Stand, you name it. Still doesn't have any infinite combos nor counterspells, so that might be a bit of a saving grace.
So yeah, my basic way to deal with playing potentially obnoxious cards is my general rule of playing card draw instead of tutors, so that those cards simply don't appear every game. It also makes my decks less repetitive in general, which is a positive for everyone's fun. It also makes them less predictable, which is a positive just for me, MWAHAHAHAHAAAA! =)
Last edited by Antis 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Firstly, MLD without a follow up play.
I came here to say this.

I have a pretty ideal EDH group but occasionally someone decides to make a deck without an actual game plan after MLD and I can't help myself but give them a piece of my mind.

toctheyounger

Lifeless wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Firstly, MLD without a follow up play.
I came here to say this.

I have a pretty ideal EDH group but occasionally someone decides to make a deck without an actual game plan after MLD and I can't help myself but give them a piece of my mind.
They deserve it too. For such a drastic change of the board state if your plan is for the pod to just toil and drudge through the misery, you might just be a monster. I've seen people cast these as a closing salvo before they're knocked out of the game too, and that's equally as %$#%, if not a touch more childish too.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

I think that if players have such a strong reaction to <this>, that should have been discussed before shuffling up for the game. For me, that's Slaver effects and Stax (card-wise: specifically Memnarch and Felidar Sovereign really irk me). If you have those decks, I would rather play elsewhere, and I would rather make that choice before turn 1.

On the flip side, I generally avoid "trigger" effects (unrestricted MLD*, heavy mill, permission, theft, etc.) unless they are very on-theme (e.g. Desolation Angel in WBR Angels, or the afore-mentioned Agent of Treachery in UB Rogues). I won't refuse to play against counters, infect, MLD etc.; but I don't use them myself and I don't mind discussing why I prefer to avoid them.

On a tangential note, I just have to ask:
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
Prior to the recent surgeon C19 cases,...
Surgeon C19? Recent surge in C19? Or is this a specific card reference from Commander 2019 and I'm not getting it?

*Note: As opposed to things like Wave of Vitriol and other effects that destroy mass nonbasics.
V/R

Treamayne

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
I don't think I have any egregious triggers. I'll certainly complain if my stuff gets stolen or if my board is interacted with, but I'm not against either of those in principle. If I get milled, I'll usually be happy about it - a lot of my decks have heavy graveyard components.

That said, there are a few things that will get me pretty salty, particularly mass land destruction and Mindslaver effects. Looking at EDHREC's salt page, I don't think that's unique to me. I also really dislike hatebear decks and other decks designed to stop your opponents from playing the game. I don't mind hate pieces in isolation, but it can get frustrating when they start adding up. I also really dislike infect, but I think that's a learned response to only ever seeing infect cards used as part of a cheap one-shot kill.
What's interesting about the EDHREC salt list is there are so few black cards. There are only 6 mono black cards and 4 multicolored cards that have black in them in the entire list.

Nether void is the highest rated mono black salt card at 29th on the list and it's only played in 372 decks. Who knew black would be the friendliest color?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

NZB2323 wrote:
3 years ago
What's interesting about the EDHREC salt list is there are so few black cards. There are only 6 mono black cards and 4 multicolored cards that have black in them in the entire list.

Nether void is the highest rated mono black salt card at 29th on the list and it's only played in 372 decks.
Minor nit: Sen Triplets is #18 (and in 556 decks). It is somewhat interesting though - of the monocolor cards on the top 100 salt list, we have:
  • 12 white cards
  • 29 blue cards
  • 6 black cards
  • 19 red cards
  • 6 green cards (counting Gaea's Cradle as green)
  • Plus 13 colorless cards and 15 gold cards (counting Golos as gold)
...I'll also note that of the 15 gold cards, all but Sire of Insanity, Aura Shards, and Gaddock Teeg are either Azorius or Simic (sometimes with extra colors).

....I'm actually not that surprised by this though - black tends to be reactive in its interaction ("you kill a thing, I kill it"), opposed to more proactive ("you can't play things in the first place"). It can be more proactive when utilizing discard, but that doesn't show up as much in EDH. Given that I would categorize a huge percentage of cards on the salt list as preventing people from playing their cards, it seems reasonable to conclude that people don't mind if you answer their threats as long as they get to play them in the first place.

As for green... well, green isn't very interactive in general.

abel88

Post by abel88 » 3 years ago

i have one guy in my group who gets salty about clone effects. this mainly came up when i was playing Riku of Two Reflections and he was playing Ghired, Conclave Exile. i played Progenitor Mimic and copied his commander so i could populate my clones. long story short having one Protean Hulk is ok. having 3 with a way to make more is being a dick

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

To be clear, the offhand complaint is one thing. If something of mine is stolen or my board is hobbled, I'll say something along the lines of 'AAAARRRGH that sucks!" but I try not to harp on it for a long time, or even be truly upset.

It feels like such a minefield sometimes. Player 1 hates X, Player 2 hates Y, etc. I kinda want to tell most people to just suck it up. Now, as others have said in this thread, there are some things that strain a table's good will, like pointless MLD and repeated Mindslaver effects. I'm all for thoughtful discussion, but not incessant complaining.

On another note, I've had people react poorly to targeted land removal. A player got his Cabal Coffers hit by an Acidic Slime, and he went on and on about how land destruction is against the spirit of the format, etc. The rest of the table stood firm that not only was it fair play, but it was the right call. The salt lingered for weeks in the form of passive aggressive comments.
Last edited by RxPhantom 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I think that, in general, if your complaint is about anything other than monopolizing game time, it's worth thinking about whether the source of the complaint is upset about losing or upset about what happened. Most of the time it's that they're upset about losing, and that's something people need to just get over.

Monopolizing game time comes in many forms:
1) playing masturbatory decks like non-deterministic storm and eggs
2) playing decks that have really complex value chains and don't win at the end (e.g. non-combo Gitrog, some Aristocrats builds). bonus negative points for having a complex chain of things you have to do every turn that just get you slightly ahead and can't be shortcut.
3) Playing too many ways to reset the game without breaking parity
4) Stax/soft locks that make you the only one actually playing, but without winning

Sometimes it's hard to draw the line between monopolizing game time and winning. But generally if your opponents are topdecking for multiple turn cycles while you're in pole position you did something kinda jerky.

TLDR: Commander is kind of like an open mic night. Everyone should get a chance to show their stuff, but no one should hog the mic.

(It's a bit more complex than that since you impact each others' performances some, but generally speaking spending a lot of time bent out of shape about how someone else's turn at the mic sounds is being a bad sport...as long as it doesn't go on for an hour :P)

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
On another note, I've had people react poorly to targeted land removal. A player got his Cabal Coffers hit by an Acidic Slime, and he went on and on about how land destruction is against the spirit of the format, etc. The rest of the table stood firm that not only was it fair play, but it was the right call. The salt lingered for weeks in the form of passive aggressive comments.
Not a single leg to stand on here. Coffers is strong enough you ought to expect it to get got,

I think in general people tend to take the stuff they mildly dislike too far, and that's a bit silly. Honestly, as crap as it can be in terms of really toxic jerks and awful games, playing on untap has done wonders for my temperament. Seeing the worst possible decks rubbed in your face in a casual game does wonders for just taking everything with a grain of salt and just rolling with it. I used to take umbrage with annihilator, infect, superfriends, MLD, combo and looking back it felt like having righteous indignation on a trigger finger. Nowadays I just roll with it as best I can and pack a toolbox in most of my decks to deal with whatever I can.

It's pretty easy to get offended by other people playing the game, end of the day you just have to be reasonable and expect others to do the same. They can't all be zingers.

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 3 years ago

There aren't any deck strategies that bother me. Too many take-backs bother me. If you're the habitual do-over guy, you bother me. That's pretty much it.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

BaronCappuccino wrote:
3 years ago
There aren't any deck strategies that bother me. Too many take-backs bother me. If you're the habitual do-over guy, you bother me. That's pretty much it.
I feel this in my bones. I generally don't ask for take-backs myself, so if I tap the wrong mana or do something out of sequence, I just live with it. It grinds my gears a bit when I choose to live with my mistakes just to have another player do takesy backsies.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
BaronCappuccino wrote:
3 years ago
I feel this in my bones. I generally don't ask for take-backs myself, so if I tap the wrong mana or do something out of sequence, I just live with it. It grinds my gears a bit when I choose to live with my mistakes just to have another player do takesy backsies.
Concur, with exception. If I am teaching you the game (or you are learning, usually from another player at the table), I think the occasional re-do can be acceptable in the interest of improving past the learning phase (e.g. "you should have cast X before Y, and this is why...")

If you are just a sloppy player, deal with it.
V/R

Treamayne

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

When pointing out the player who is going to combo off and win, and instead drawing the hate myself, and then the original person I pointed out wins anyway and everyone acts all shocked. Like what, you saw Urza, Lord High Artificer across the table from you with a grip of cards and mana, and a Fabricate on the stack, and you didn't think this was going to end poorly? In what world is it then correct to attack the guy whom is attacking said Urza player, and take the pressure off the Urza deck while you play around with your finger up your bum in a Disturbed Burial + STEve loop?

"Durr, why did I lose, I was getting my lands..."

C'mon guys. I only have so many Mogg Salvage, you gotta make a run at this stuff too.

Or, for non-game stuff, when you fart loudly at the table and then don't claim it. Like, we all know it's you, we heard you, just own that crap (...no pun intended) and we can laugh about it like we're immature middle-schoolers.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

ZenN

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Or, for non-game stuff, when you fart loudly at the table and then don't claim it. Like, we all know it's you, we heard you, just own that crap (...no pun intended) and we can laugh about it like we're immature middle-schoolers.
The important thing is to make eye contact with a straight face while you do it. That's how you assert your dominance.
Commander

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
The important thing is to make eye contact with a straight face while you do it. That's how you assert your dominance.
Works for me.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”