Rhystic Study for but opponents' landfall

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

If you had submitted a card that was Rhystic Study, but that it triggered for opponents' landfall, how would you cost it?

Furthermore, how would you cost it if in order to actually include it into the new set:
1.) It had to have multiple white pips in its mana cost
+
2.) It made treasure instead of trigger card draws

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I think there're two main templates for white of this ability that make sense to me:

1) If an opponent has a land etb and they have more lands than you, automatically get a treasure token.
This would be 2WW or 1WW if pushed.

2) If an opponent has a land ETB, they pay X or you get a treasure.
1W for pay 1, 1WW for pay 2? Add 1 if you want non-pushed version.

The 1W version of pay 1 for an etb *sounds* powerful but it's not really much more powerful than making lands enter tapped which is a 1W effect/1G effect. ((The symmetrical version for lands and artifacts is G - Root Maze so stands to reason asymmetrical would be 1G)

I don't think this template works for white if it is actually Rhystic Study where it's pay X on landfall or draw a card, since White is about equalizing resources not about turning other resources into cards. Although they do have Smothering Tithe that turns draws into mana, I guess, so it might be feasible.

If so, I think pay 1 on a landfall or you draw one is a 1WW effect, and pay 2 is 2WW. Note, of course, than Smothering tithe should have cost 2WW not 3W - why they made that card splashable I will never understand.

You could template it as "other than the first land they play each turn" to reduce the cost significantly; I could see 'they pay one or you draw a card if a land other than their first land play would enter' as costing as low as W, since it's pretty niche.

I *could* see a whistic study that templates like:
"If an opponent draws other than the first in their draw step, you draw a card unless they pay X" which I would think is a relatively fairly costed as equivalent to Rhystic Study -- 1WW for pay 1, 2WW for pay 2.

Of course, I think Rhystic Study probably should have cost 1UU :)

Antis

Post by Antis » 3 years ago

How about this:

Whenever a land would enter the battlefield under your opponent's control, that player may have you draw a card. If they do, that land enters the battlefield untapped, otherwise it enters the battlefield tapped.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

This card already exists?

BounceBurnBuff
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BounceBurnBuff » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
This card already exists?
Came here to mention that. Already doesn't see a ton of play based on the cmc and ease of removal (especially being such a "noisy" card for your opponents). If you reduced it to draw 1 and removed the exile, whacked it on an enchantment, you could probably get away with 4 mana.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

BounceBurnBuff wrote:
3 years ago
Came here to mention that. Already doesn't see a ton of play based on the cmc and ease of removal (especially being such a "noisy" card for your opponents). If you reduced it to draw 1 and removed the exile, whacked it on an enchantment, you could probably get away with 4 mana.
For the Sire of Stagnation, the exile portion is actually mechanically pertinent due to the Eldrazi mechanic in BFZ. Hard to divorce the 4UB casting cost and just the landfall portion of that card. At least, it's different enough that I don't see it as already existing.

I'm relieved that some posters mentioned having multiple colored pips in the casting cost. The R&D way of casting things 2X lately essentially means cards have no color cost in EDH.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”