Teonacatl

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

So I've long considered making a deck themed around a good ol' mushroom trip. Maybe it has elements of a bad ol' mushroom trip in it too. I'm sure it will. The commander I always had in mind was Slimefoot, the Stowaway, but I realize adding white with Ghave, Guru of Spores might open up some nice, pleasant experiences. This is meant to be a theme deck, but hopefully aspire to 75%ish power levels. I have a mental list of some obvious includes, like Shamanic Revelation and whatnot but what is some of your input as a community?

Is there perhaps a better commander out there that can still hold flavor?

What cards might you suggest? Color doesn't matter so much as how well it can be related to a mushroom trip experience at the moment.

Thank you all ahead of time for your input.
Responds well to spells and abilities

WolfWhoWanders

Some cool things in there that I hadn't considered, thank you. Blue does seem to have a lot of on theme cards. Maybe using Archelos, Lagoon Mystic and some other shamans would be a good way to go. Rather than making the commander the mushroom maybe make the commander the shaman that dispenses the lovely fruit

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

WolfWhoWanders wrote:
3 years ago
Some cool things in there that I hadn't considered, thank you. Blue does seem to have a lot of on theme cards. Maybe using Archelos, Lagoon Mystic and some other shamans would be a good way to go. Rather than making the commander the mushroom maybe make the commander the shaman that dispenses the lovely fruit
You can also consider decks with faeries. Traditional Irish faeries they are the embodiment of molding thoughts and ideas into an ever-changing reality. In other words, a faerie who uses psychedelic medicines would probably turn its surrounding into a nightmare. If you go that route (which is heavier on Dimir), you'd be sharing the dream land with your opponent as they'd lose grip of even their own reality (such as with Vendilion Clique).

For an ever shifting reality, you can also try out wheel effects as they make everyone going through "trips", in which Arjun, the Shifting Flame or Nekusar, the Mindrazer would suffice..

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 years ago

Maybe Averna, the Chaos Bloom? When I started building Archelos, I explored a shaman theme, but found that most of the best shamans are red, with green coming in second. Cascading could be the escalation of a psychedelic experience to the breakthrough point?

WolfWhoWanders

@kirkusjones

Seems like a cool thought, a friend has run Maelstrom Wanderer for a long time and cascade is kind of beat to death for me though. I'm curious to see the deck though

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 years ago

You could run her for the colors/tribe. A friend tried to build her as a cascade deck and was less than impressed, but red gives you a lot of shamans and things like Mindmoil and Possibility Storm to work with your theme.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”