Eerie Ultimatum

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I haven't really played commander since this card came out. Have you guys seen it played?
I have faced it in Brawl and it is brutal

Eerie Ultimatum seems absurd in singleton.

What is the best shell? You can go with Karador, Ghost Chieftain, dredge until you mill this, cast Eternal Witness from the yard, returning EU to your hand, then reanimating your whole deck.
Hermit Druid/Dread Return decks probably have better things to do but would also be a good fit if they don't want the Thassa's Oracle win.

It's just so crazy to me how much stronger this is in singleton.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

WizardMN
Answers: 124

Post by WizardMN » 3 years ago

I have it in my Karador deck and I did literally nothing to support it. It was just supposed to be an complement to things the deck is already doing. I haven't cast it yet but I did have it in hand one game where even the few permanents I would have gotten wouldn't have been all that awful.

I think if you go all in on it, you can get a massive amount of value (with the potential of getting blown out by grave hate). I do agree that it seems pretty absurd but I am not sure it is necessarily broken or anything close to it. I mean, for creature centric decks, you can already self mill and cast Living Death or some other mass reanimation. It does open the deck up to not having to be solely about creatures, and it is far better than Living Death as a whole, but I haven't seen it actually cast in any games yet so I can't say for sure. I am more on the side of "this is powerful, but not gamebreaking".

I think your comparison is a good one though. If someone does build a deck to take full advantage of this card, it means they are likely going with a slightly weaker form of winning as there are plenty of other options that already exist that are worse than this.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

The card is "ok" at best. You're lookin at a 7 mana reanimate spell that is all color pips. Thats pretty rough just to cast. Then assuming it does resolve, there's only two ways this blows out the table. Option 1 is the deck is built to do exactly what this card wants, lots of stuff in the yard and a lot of permanents at that. Option 2 is it is late game, and your threats have already been dealt with once or twice. Either way, a little graveyard hate and this card is useless.

There are cards that do this better in the strategies that want this and are less mana mana intensive. Potential for blowout is not worth the risk. Unless you are cheating this into play via something like Golos (where you get two other spells with this one) it is very unlikely for this to be impactful or even resolve.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
The card is "ok" at best.
I don't know if I agree with that. I think if you're reasonably looking at casting it, not even at an optimal level, it's just plain nuts. Being able to get back literally all of your nonland permanents and most of your lands including one each of your basics, none of which enter tapped, so in that respect if you have any rocks or lands in your yard it pays for at least part of it's own casting cost.

The grave hate thing is a genuine concern, yes, but that's no better or worse an argument than 'dies to doom blade', which is a bit reductive anyway. For any spell, there's an answer that exists, and you just can't consider whether or not you include any card for that reason. Obviously, this card belongs in graveyard-centric decks, but the fact that it's vulnerable to grave hate probably applies to most of the card's you'd run in that deck anyway, so if you were concerned enough to not consider the card for that reason, why build that deck at all? Of course you run contingencies in this sort of deck and you don't put all of your eggs in one basket, that's part and parcel of running reanimator shells. If it really does get nerfed and you lose your yard or it gets countered, abzan has plenty of ways of just filtering this from your hand for something else that you can use via looting or dredge or whatever, so bare minimum you can turn it into something else, or Eternal Witness if it gets countered. that's the whole incentive of running abzan reanimator, its grindy and resilient.

For myself, I run it Tayam, Luminous Enigma (and I will get that list up at some point soon) and while I haven't actually got the card about to cast it, the opportunity cost is just enormous for me with it. Without any particular level of effort I can dredge a ton, have key pieces in play and cast this as as basically a better Splendid Reclamation and a better Second Sunrise. and then some (walkers, etc). That being said, it's obviously not competitive material, so meta dependent obvs.

Personally, I think if you're in the colours, have some graveyard presence and can reasonably front the CMC it's worth a shot. Granted, I may be a little biased as my deck doesn't struggle for mana and can respond to interruption of my board state/ grave state at instant speed without casting spells(Tayam, Luminous Enigma's 3 ability), so it's a little easier to make the floor for this card not a net loss or a fizzle.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

My buddy runs it in Kethis, the Hidden Hand, and I'm pretty sure I scooped when he landed it. I have it in Anafenza, the Foremost enchantress as a Replenish+ but have not drawn it yet.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

I've seen it run in a bunch of different things (mostly Nethroi). It's as bonkers as it looks, and if it picks up Eternal Witness or Xiahou Dun, you can be pretty sure you'll face it over and over without any exile disruption.

It's pretty good.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 3 years ago

I cast it once in my Nethroi, Apex of Death deck, and it was pretty good. The problem is that it's mostly redundant in that deck since my commander brings back creatures too. In a deck where there isn't already recursion in the command zone, I think this card should be pretty great.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”