Jared versus Sevinne Advice

Istarkano
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Istarkano » 3 years ago

I am in a bit of a quandry.

When I started looking through Commander Legends for a new commander to build, I was immediately grabbed by Jared Carthalion, True Heir. Seemed like a good time; playing with the Monarch mechanic and especially his second ability, turning damage into +1/+1 counters, running cards like Blasphemous Act and Star of Extinction.

As I sit here with some cards for his deck in a shopping cart, I am starting to have second thoughts. I had a Sevinne, the Chronoclasm deck. This deck also played around with his ability to shrug off damage. Now, Sevinne doesn't turn damage into a boost, but he also doesn't need Monarch to prevent damage. And he doesn't put the Monarch into play, but he has , so card draw isn't an issue. And Sevinne does cost 2 more than Jared, so there is that.

So what says the group? Is Jared different enough from Sevinne to give him a shot?
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

While Sevinne, the Chronoclasm lends itself to be a midrange/combo Spellslinger, Jared Carthalion, True Heir is a much more aggressive Voltron guy. So, if i were you, the first thing to decide would be, which is more interesting.

I've played against Sevinne, the Chronoclasm a few times and the stronger the deck was, the less focal she was. Most of the time it felt like facing a control deck that drops the commander once it's needed to combo in some way - preferably with Underworld Breach. Once the prevention clause could've been relevant, the opposing decks had already lost virtually anyhow. Overall i felt like there's a gap between decks that do something with it every now and then (e.g. flashbacking something once) and lists that only look to combo off asap.
Jared Carthalion, True Heir on the other hand is someone you want to cast on curve, then work a lot with/around. Being able to grow into a viable win con himself is a big plus. While the range of things to do might be a lot slimmer, there's enough redundancy to do them consistently.

I think Jared Carthalion, True Heir looks like a lot of fun if your meta isn't too cutthroat/removal heavy. There are plenty of cards that double counters, proliferate and wraths that pump him to the max. One of the first cards that came to my mind was Ulvenwald Tracker, btw.

What i really love about Sevinne, the Chronoclasm is that she's Jeskai, a color combination that's still under-represented. With other options like Kykar, Wind's Fury and Elsha of the Infinite being terribly generic, Sevinne, the Chronoclasm might be one of the top options mechanically in said pool. With the deck being less reliant on the commander, she's a better choice for stronger metas.

If you had your Sevinne, the Chronoclasm list available somewhere, i'd love to take a look into it.

Istarkano

Post by Istarkano » 3 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
3 years ago
While Sevinne, the Chronoclasm lends itself to be a midrange/combo Spellslinger, Jared Carthalion, True Heir is a much more aggressive Voltron guy. So, if i were you, the first thing to decide would be, which is more interesting.
Thank you for the well thought out reply. Since I was trying to build Sevinne with a focus towards the damage prevention ability, it sounds like I should give Jared a go instead. Our meta is anywhere from a 5 to 8 out of 10, depending on the night, and the number of beers involved. Jared may be just fine there.
If you had your Sevinne, the Chronoclasm list available somewhere, i'd love to take a look into it.
As I said above, my list for Sevinne was definitely moving towards Voltron, with his doubling ability as just value, with a tiny bit of spellslinger in the mix as well. https://www.archidekt.com/decks/167287#Sevinne_Voltron

Thanks again for your input!
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”