Any spicy Commander Legends brews incoming?

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1837
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 weeks ago

I'm still computing the sheer swathe of legends we've had come through, and honestly, it'll take me a little while to run through them all. Especially the partners. It's not a mechanic to be taken lightly and it'll take me a bit to see if there's any combinations that'll take my fancy.

Here's what I'm looking at building initially:

Blim, Comedic Genius
Something about this guy tickles my fancy. I'm not 100% sure there's an angle that won't make you archenemy, and I'm not really interested in giving people immediate lose the game permanents, so I'll have to mull him over and see what I can make of him that's viable and more political than just griefy.

Gor Muldrak, Amphinologist
I'm generally not a fan of what Simic does in the modern game. Near-constant access to obscene draw and obscene ramp putting the game on easy mode is pretty bland to me. This isn't that, and I like that.

Also, it tickles me that this guy is the MtG equivalent of this conspiracy theorist that I'm sort of intrigued by (more as a weird phenomenon than anything else) called David Icke. Long story short he believes that there's a society of shape-shifting alien lizard folk that control the world in various ways. Part of me wants to make this a vorthos version of that, with anthropomorphic lizards like Sakura-Tribe Elder and such, and changelings for flavour too. I could even include tinfoil hats.

He also gives me Dagon vibes from Lovecraft lore, so that might be some neat flavour to explore too.

It might be a bit too weird, but I like the commander nonetheless.

So what's everyone else brewing?
Last edited by toctheyounger 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_R Bronze Purphoros_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

Dunharrow
Posts: 474
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Post by Dunharrow » 2 weeks ago

Scry has long been one of my top two mechanics, so Eligeth, Crossroads Augur seems interesting to me.
Not sure if there are any great pairings but Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix seems decent. Though I guess Thrasios, Triton Hero may be better.

Don't think there are any other generals I am too interested for the command zone, but it could change.

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1837
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 weeks ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 weeks ago
Scry has long been one of my top two mechanics, so Eligeth, Crossroads Augur seems interesting to me.
Not sure if there are any great pairings but Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix seems decent. Though I guess Thrasios, Triton Hero may be better.

Don't think there are any other generals I am too interested for the command zone, but it could change.
What's your other top mechanic? Perhaps you could try to bake that in too.

In the 99 I'm fervently keen for a copy of Nevinyrral, Urborg Tyrant for Varina, Lich Queen.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_R Bronze Purphoros_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

Wallycaine
Posts: 329
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Post by Wallycaine » 2 weeks ago

I'm currently poking at the idea of a Akroma, Vision of Ixidor/Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper Token/Ability tribal deck. I've always been a huge fan of Abzan decks, starting with the Ghave, Guru of Spores precon, but over the years I've kinda wanted to build a second one, only I've never really found a second Abzan general that clicks. Making a go wide token deck would let me focus Ghave on counter shenanigans, and I like the access to abilities Abzan brings to Akroma.

Dunharrow
Posts: 474
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Montreal
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 55 times

Post by Dunharrow » 2 weeks ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 weeks ago
Dunharrow wrote:
2 weeks ago
Scry has long been one of my top two mechanics, so Eligeth, Crossroads Augur seems interesting to me.
Not sure if there are any great pairings but Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix seems decent. Though I guess Thrasios, Triton Hero may be better.

Don't think there are any other generals I am too interested for the command zone, but it could change.
What's your other top mechanic? Perhaps you could try to bake that in too.

In the 99 I'm fervently keen for a copy of Nevinyrral, Urborg Tyrant for Varina, Lich Queen.
My other top mechanic is sacrificing creatures. There is a reason Viscera Seer is my all-time favourite card. But i have enough sacrifice decks

I am sure I will have many additions for the 99.

User avatar
Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Posts: 396
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: In a Turn-Based World
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Post by Guardman » 2 weeks ago

My number one brew is a Armix, Filigree Thrasher & Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith deck that wins either through Revel in Riches or creating/sacrificing a bunch of artifact tokens for benefit.
Proto Deck
Show
Rock & Roll

Planeswalkers 1


1 Karn, Scion of Urza
Approximate Total Cost:

Other ideas I am playing around with:
  • Rebbec, Architect of Ascension & Armix, Filigree Thrasher super protection Artifact Beatdown deck. Something that sounds really fun is to use stuff like Phyrexian Scriptures and Liquimetal Coating to turn Rebbec into an artifact to give herself protection.
  • Using Armix, Filigree Thrasher as a madness commander. Haven't gotten too far into it yet as I haven't found a partner I really like, or a strong direction for the deck. I think it should probably be BR as they have the best madness cards. But it feels like BU with Ghost of Ramirez DePietro would be the best combo. Honestly I just really want to build a madness deck. It's my favorite mechanic, but it's just so hard to build one that feels good to play.
  • Breeches, Brazen Plunderer & Malcolm Keen-Eyed Navigator as a Pirate-Play your opponents' spells type deck. It's right up my alley as I love to play my opponents' spells. A little concerned it would be too much like my beloved Etali, Primal Storm deck which is why I haven't spent too much time on it.
  • Archelos, Lagoon Mystic lands deck. Basically there are a ton of great lands that come into play tapped. With Archelos they come into play untapped, making them much, much stronger. More of an idea than anything I've actually started to put together.
  • Liesa, Shroud of Dusk life payment deck. There are some interesting and powerful cards out there that care about you losing life, like Font of Agonies and Vilis, Broker of Blood. It could be interesting if also through in some life gain payoffs.

User avatar
TheAmericanSpirit
Human Smokestack
Posts: 221
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Under the chicken coop
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 weeks ago

I've been rolling around a Bruse Tarl/Falthis deck in my head for a bit. With both of them out, Bruse can attack with four(!) relevant combat keywords and becomes infinitely more costly to block. I think with a little support, I can build a cool mardu voltron control deck with the two.

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1837
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 weeks ago

Guardman wrote:
2 weeks ago
Liesa, Shroud of Dusk life payment deck.
I really like her too and would definitely look to brew her. She seems a bit nasty, and I'm not sure who the ideal partner is for her, but avoiding commander tax is pretty amazing.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 weeks ago
I've been rolling around a Bruse Tarl/Falthis deck in my head for a bit. With both of them out, Bruse can attack with four(!) relevant combat keywords and becomes infinitely more costly to block. I think with a little support, I can build a cool mardu voltron control deck with the two.
That sounds nasty! As a Glissa, the Traitor deckbuilder, first strike and deathtouch make a stupendously good mix of keywords to have on one creature.
Wallycaine wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm currently poking at the idea of a Akroma, Vision of Ixidor/Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper Token/Ability tribal deck. I've always been a huge fan of Abzan decks, starting with the Ghave, Guru of Spores precon, but over the years I've kinda wanted to build a second one, only I've never really found a second Abzan general that clicks. Making a go wide token deck would let me focus Ghave on counter shenanigans, and I like the access to abilities Abzan brings to Akroma.
I used to run Ghave, Guru of Spores myself. That thing was nuts. I can relate to the affinity for Abzan, I'm currently in the final stages of shoring up my Tayam, Luminous Enigma list. This one sounds like a good aggro idea though, and the keyword synergy probably has a ton of support from Ikoria too, with stuff like Nethroi, Apex of Death and Kathril, Aspect Warper.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_R Bronze Purphoros_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

Wallycaine
Posts: 329
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Post by Wallycaine » 2 weeks ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 weeks ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm currently poking at the idea of a Akroma, Vision of Ixidor/Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper Token/Ability tribal deck. I've always been a huge fan of Abzan decks, starting with the Ghave, Guru of Spores precon, but over the years I've kinda wanted to build a second one, only I've never really found a second Abzan general that clicks. Making a go wide token deck would let me focus Ghave on counter shenanigans, and I like the access to abilities Abzan brings to Akroma.
I used to run Ghave, Guru of Spores myself. That thing was nuts. I can relate to the affinity for Abzan, I'm currently in the final stages of shoring up my Tayam, Luminous Enigma list. This one sounds like a good aggro idea though, and the keyword synergy probably has a ton of support from Ikoria too, with stuff like Nethroi, Apex of Death and Kathril, Aspect Warper.
Yeah, part of the inspiration was picking up the Kathril, Aspect Warper precon, but not really wanting to run Kathril as a general. The strategy of 'entomb Zetalpa, Primal Dawn + random other keyword dudes, play 11/11 double striking Kathril, slap boots on' felt a little too linear, but also strong enough that it crowded out other ideas. This deck could run him in the 99, and probably get some solid use out of him, I think.

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1837
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 weeks ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 weeks ago
Yeah, part of the inspiration was picking up the Kathril, Aspect Warper precon, but not really wanting to run Kathril as a general. The strategy of 'entomb Zetalpa, Primal Dawn + random other keyword dudes, play 11/11 double striking Kathril, slap boots on' felt a little too linear, but also strong enough that it crowded out other ideas. This deck could run him in the 99, and probably get some solid use out of him, I think.
Yeah, he seems legitimately strong, but that's not always interesting. I've found Tayam, Luminous Enigma a lot of fun myself, it's very toolbox/utility dredge but it can do some pretty cool stuff. I quite like a control shell and it lends well to that.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_R Bronze Purphoros_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 1278
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 19
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Post by Mookie » 2 weeks ago

I'm contemplating Averna, the Chaos Bloom Unexpected Results. Ideally, Unexpected Results would be the only card in the deck with CMC 4 or less, with everything else being a more expensive spell with cascaaaaade. Throw in a few ways to get multiple cascades (like Maelstrom Wanderer, Mind's Desire, and Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty), and a couple of cards to shuffle Unexpected Results back in, then try to cast the entire deck.

....of course, the deck would run waaaay over budget and the combo turns in question would take roughly an hour to complete due to all the shuffling (and low hit rate for UE), so would probably end up proxying it and only playing it once or twice. Still, fun to brainstorm.

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1837
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 weeks ago

Mookie wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm contemplating Averna, the Chaos Bloom Unexpected Results. Ideally, Unexpected Results would be the only card in the deck with CMC 4 or less, with everything else being a more expensive spell with cascaaaaade. Throw in a few ways to get multiple cascades (like Maelstrom Wanderer, Mind's Desire, and Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty), and a couple of cards to shuffle Unexpected Results back in, then try to cast the entire deck.

....of course, the deck would run waaaay over budget and the combo turns in question would take roughly an hour to complete due to all the shuffling (and low hit rate for UE), so would probably end up proxying it and only playing it once or twice. Still, fun to brainstorm.
Sounds fun, at least to take out for a spin once or twice. Gotta admit, I was a little disappointed Averna, the Chaos Bloom doesn't enable cascade herself, but she's still pretty neat despite that.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_R Bronze Purphoros_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 1278
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 19
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Post by Mookie » 2 weeks ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 weeks ago
Mookie wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm contemplating Averna, the Chaos Bloom Unexpected Results. Ideally, Unexpected Results would be the only card in the deck with CMC 4 or less, with everything else being a more expensive spell with cascaaaaade. Throw in a few ways to get multiple cascades (like Maelstrom Wanderer, Mind's Desire, and Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty), and a couple of cards to shuffle Unexpected Results back in, then try to cast the entire deck.

....of course, the deck would run waaaay over budget and the combo turns in question would take roughly an hour to complete due to all the shuffling (and low hit rate for UE), so would probably end up proxying it and only playing it once or twice. Still, fun to brainstorm.
Sounds fun, at least to take out for a spin once or twice. Gotta admit, I was a little disappointed Averna, the Chaos Bloom doesn't enable cascade herself, but she's still pretty neat despite that.
I've brewed a 60-card version in the past. The main issue with that build was the inevitable bricking when you hit a land with Unexpected Results. I actually appreciate Averna for that reason - if you're doing 3+ cascaaaaades per turn, that's a huge chunk of the lands in the deck that will get thinned out. Not to mention all the extra ramp letting you actually cast all your 5+ drops.

I already started putting together a decklist, but put it on hold when it wasn't clear whether there would be enough cascaaaaade cards to enable the deck. Fortunately, Commander Legends added a bunch of draft cha- erm, premium commons and uncommons like Ingenuity Engine and Maelstrom Colossus. I'll see if I can share out a list.

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1837
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 weeks ago

Mookie wrote:
2 weeks ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 weeks ago
Mookie wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm contemplating Averna, the Chaos Bloom Unexpected Results. Ideally, Unexpected Results would be the only card in the deck with CMC 4 or less, with everything else being a more expensive spell with cascaaaaade. Throw in a few ways to get multiple cascades (like Maelstrom Wanderer, Mind's Desire, and Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty), and a couple of cards to shuffle Unexpected Results back in, then try to cast the entire deck.

....of course, the deck would run waaaay over budget and the combo turns in question would take roughly an hour to complete due to all the shuffling (and low hit rate for UE), so would probably end up proxying it and only playing it once or twice. Still, fun to brainstorm.
Sounds fun, at least to take out for a spin once or twice. Gotta admit, I was a little disappointed Averna, the Chaos Bloom doesn't enable cascade herself, but she's still pretty neat despite that.
I've brewed a 60-card version in the past. The main issue with that build was the inevitable bricking when you hit a land with Unexpected Results. I actually appreciate Averna for that reason - if you're doing 3+ cascaaaaades per turn, that's a huge chunk of the lands in the deck that will get thinned out. Not to mention all the extra ramp letting you actually cast all your 5+ drops.

I already started putting together a decklist, but put it on hold when it wasn't clear whether there would be enough cascaaaaade cards to enable the deck. Fortunately, Commander Legends added a bunch of draft cha- erm, premium commons and uncommons like Ingenuity Engine and Maelstrom Colossus. I'll see if I can share out a list.
I was chuffed too. My Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder vorthos build probably wants at least some of them, and could make use of Averna, the Chaos Bloom bare minimum, probably Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty too. And in terms of cascade jank, I really ought to pick up Skeletal Kathari Kathari Remnant for it as well. I love that the bar is that much lower when your main aim is theme.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_R Bronze Purphoros_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

Mimicvat
Posts: 158
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Post by Mimicvat » 2 weeks ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 weeks ago

Gor Muldrak, Amphinologist
I'm generally not a fan of what Simic does in the modern game. Near-constant access to obscene draw and obscene ramp putting the game on easy mode is pretty bland to me. This isn't that, and I like that.
This, so much. Gor is the first UG legend I've seen that didn't just staple draw a card or play a land to it. Problem is, he's terrible!

I'm thinking making salamanders, drawing off of elemental bond and the like, sacrificing them then getting a new one, like of like a crappy UG Ophiomancer. I like these engine style decks and this is an interesting way to go about it. Though he also works somewhat as a forced attacks general, but lacks red to really benefit from the Salamanders and making them smash face.

As for Commander Legends, I've built a test deck for Obeka, Brute Chronologist. This commander seems like of linear with an obvious build path, which is something I usually avoid, but since red temporary tokens is my favorite game mechanic I could not resist. Runs a bunch of Mimic Vat and Myriad cards and tries to ride the tokens to the win.

I'm also building Krark, the Thumbless + Sakashima of a Thousand Faces as my Lightning Bolt deck. Been trying to make a spellslinger that cares about Lightning Bolt for ages, but most of them are about free spells, copying big spells, or grinding value. This pairing, combined with some spell based clones, turn each lightning bolt into 1-2 bolts and return to hand effect, letting me bolt (essentially) as many times as I have red mana. Thats how you kill people with bolt.

I've also had an idea for a Partner Roulette. A deck built around random partners, designed to fit every partner in those colors. Since such a deck would be a bit crappy, I might be able to convince my playgroup to let it run three partners... trying to build around every commander in a 2-3 color pair would be interesting to say the least.

Finally, my long standing Big Red combo deck may change its general from Neheb, Dreadhorde General to the new Dargo, the Shipwrecker + Jeska, Thrice Reborn. This is my only 'real' combo deck and the idea of going infinite with Dargo and Phyrexian Altar or some such is pretty sweet, and Jeska as either an infinite mana → damage outlet or the fantastic plan B of "triple Dargo's damage, one punch man people" is so sweet I can't resist it.
Expand Signature
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

User avatar
Sinis
Posts: 1140
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Post by Sinis » 2 weeks ago

G/Akroma. Not super spicy, and the G partner is up in the air (might actually be u/g as Thrasios or Kydele), but, I really like having a bomb option in the command zone.

Halana, Kessig Ranger/Sengir, the Dark Baron: Rabid bites + Sengir = let's get some. It's probably not the most efficient way of buffing the Sengir, though (like, seriously, we could play Pestilence, or some sort of Aristocrats variant to just dump counters on him).

Nymris, Oona's Trickster: Dimir Flash Shenanigans. Cunning Nightbonder and Slitherwisp and a handful of Lorwyn cards all like cards being played on opponent's turns. I doubt it'll be good, but it'll be fun. Probably.

User avatar
JovialJovian
Posts: 730
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Post by JovialJovian » 2 weeks ago

I'm thinkering with Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist for curses, as he can shift them around as needed. It's definitely in the early stages however.

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 1278
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 19
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Post by Mookie » 2 weeks ago

Re: Gor Muldrak, Amphinologist - one amusing idea I had for him was Arcane Adaptation + Ashling the Pilgrim / Pestilence Demon effects. Unfortunately, Simic doesn't have a lot of 'this creature deals damage to everything' effects. I guess Squallmonger? Hmmmm....

Still though, certainly a hilarious card.

BounceBurnBuff
Posts: 44
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Post by BounceBurnBuff » 2 weeks ago

Sinis wrote:
2 weeks ago
G/Akroma. Not super spicy, and the G partner is up in the air (might actually be u/g as Thrasios or Kydele), but, I really like having a bomb option in the command zone.
I'm brewing up Tana/Akroma atm. She needs the Green, benefits from haste, and having a partner than can make bodies for Odric to pump up with Akroma's text seems like a natural fit to me.

duducrash
Posts: 52
Joined: 4 months ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Post by duducrash » 2 weeks ago

Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty + Keruga, the Macrosage as a companion sounds fun in my head but might be to slow without early ramp

User avatar
BaronCappuccino
Posts: 104
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Quiet Corner
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Post by BaronCappuccino » 2 weeks ago

As soon as I noticed him, I began retooling my Judith, the Scourge Diva deck into a Juri, Master of the Review deck. The changes are relatively minor though, and Shadowborn Apostle is still the core of the deck. I'm just retooling slightly for a possible voltron alternate win con.

User avatar
Sinis
Posts: 1140
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: Unlisted
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Post by Sinis » 2 weeks ago

BounceBurnBuff wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm brewing up Tana/Akroma atm. She needs the Green, benefits from haste, and having a partner than can make bodies for Odric to pump up with Akroma's text seems like a natural fit to me.
I had considered Naya Akroma, because Samut, Voice of Dissent has a lot of keywords, and it would be a very good keyword soup set of colours. The haste is very clutch. I just don't like Tana, the Bloodsower much.

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1837
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 weeks ago

Mookie wrote:
2 weeks ago
Re: Gor Muldrak, Amphinologist - one amusing idea I had for him was Arcane Adaptation + Ashling the Pilgrim / Pestilence Demon effects. Unfortunately, Simic doesn't have a lot of 'this creature deals damage to everything' effects. I guess Squallmonger? Hmmmm....

Still though, certainly a hilarious card.
It's a nice thought, but Squallmonger won't work, as Hexproof won't stop the Monger (yes, that is it's creature type even on Oracle text) from damaging your stuff too. Even if Gor provided protection because the abillity doesn't target it would still flatten all your stuff too. There's always Heroic Intervention I guess.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_R Bronze Purphoros_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

User avatar
toctheyounger
Posts: 1837
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Has thanked: 349 times
Been thanked: 326 times

Titles & Recognition

Post by toctheyounger » 2 weeks ago

JovialJovian wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm thinkering with Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist for curses, as he can shift them around as needed. It's definitely in the early stages however.
I did notice that. I'd thought about it for things like Oubliette and Darksteel Mutation. It's a neat ability that I really like.
Expand Signature
PrimersNon-PrimersMalazan Decks of the Fallen
W BrunaUB DralnuUB High House Shadow
G NissaGB Glissarugb Raest
WUB VarinaB YawgmothWUBRG T'iam
_R Bronze Purphoros_
_UBR Vial/Kraum_

User avatar
Mookie
Posts: 1278
Joined: 1 year ago
Answers: 19
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: the æthereal plane
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 171 times

Post by Mookie » 2 weeks ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 weeks ago
Mookie wrote:
2 weeks ago
Re: Gor Muldrak, Amphinologist - one amusing idea I had for him was Arcane Adaptation + Ashling the Pilgrim / Pestilence Demon effects. Unfortunately, Simic doesn't have a lot of 'this creature deals damage to everything' effects. I guess Squallmonger? Hmmmm....

Still though, certainly a hilarious card.
It's a nice thought, but Squallmonger won't work, as Hexproof won't stop the Monger (yes, that is it's creature type even on Oracle text) from damaging your stuff too. Even if Gor provided protection because the abillity doesn't target it would still flatten all your stuff too. There's always Heroic Intervention I guess.
Gor does provide protection, which does prevent damage. If you turn Squallmonger / Ashling / etc into a Salamander with Arcane Adaptation, then they won't damage you or themselves. That would allow you to burn your opponents out (and shoot down all of their flying creatures) with Squallmonger, while you don't take any damage due to having protection from it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”