Any spicy Commander Legends brews incoming?

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
3 years ago
I'm brewing some kind of Elf Necro-ball tokens thing currently. Not sure if it's actually gonna be led by one of the new Elf General (pair)s or not, but CMR certainly added a few spicy elves to the mix.
If you don't wanna partner, Abomination of Llanowar is legendary too. And its literally an elfball. I didn't notice it's legendary status at first myself.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

abel88

Post by abel88 » 3 years ago

i managed to one shot somebody with my Kamahl, Heart of Krosa and Jeska, Thrice Reborn deck. i had both commanders out and i had one opponent with no blockers. nice clean one shot

Yatsufusa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Yatsufusa » 3 years ago

Akiri, Line-Slinger
Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder
Armix, Filigree Thrasher
Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar
Ravos, Soultender
Tymna the Weaver
Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh
Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith

I'm testing out a "Modular" (the term, not the mechanic) Commander deck with the following partners. Any two combinations that make up Mardu CI can be the Commanders, although I won't be running any 2 2C combinations myself (I've never liked the Boros+Orzhov pairings from back then, otherwise I would have already tested this concept years ago), only 2C + 1C pairings.

The general theme is artifacts/equipment voltron with a dose of aristocrats, because I literally slapped all these Partners (except Tymna, who was already in the 99) right into my existing Alesha deck (it's like a transition process, it's using Alesha's resources as a backbone of backup).

Notably there's no Vial Smasher the Fierce and White Partners in selection mainly because I don't have Vial Smasher, but as its in transition from Alesha there's not a lot of luxury space (I'm already pressed for space merging the other 7 partners into the fray) and the deck was notably my lowest CMC deck, I honestly might not have the interest in even getting Vial Smasher (I also sorta want a singular face-Commander option for the deck, so Alesha might even stay as I try to merge them all together). Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist and Rebbec, Architect of Ascension are great cards for the general theme of the deck I know, so they have slots/chances in the 99, just not as Commander options.

With all going on in the world (and myself being busy), this definitely won't be "finished" any time soon, it'll probably be a (hopefully glorious) janky mess of a work-in-progress.

In fact this is not the only "Modular" deck Commander Legends brought in (just the most ambitious one). My Grimgrin deck was always half-Zombies, half clones/theft and it's currently also in test with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces and Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools as alternative Commanders to Grimgrin/Scarab God. Yes, it seems counterintuitive to pair Sakashima with a partner he can't copy, but ironically it fits the theme better because the clones in the deck were supposed to copy opponents' creatures (and only my own Zombie Lords when the situation doesn't work out), so I can't just use Sakashima as Commander #2 (Yes I know he can't copy my opponents' creatures as well, but if I copy it with any clone on my side...)

Yes, I also don't own Tormod, the Desecrator yet, but at the same time I made my Zombie-half of the deck relatively straightforward and Tormod sorta makes me jump through specific hoops to get more Zombie tokens which I don't really need or want to compromise the clone half for anyway. Tevesh Szat seems like a pretty solid value generator (and with Zombies to protect him I can draw more instead of having to Thrull). When Grimgrin/Scarab God was in the lead the Zombie half always felt like the dominant half, so this test run might allow me to put a bit more focus on the clone half. Of course, if it turns out Tevesh Szat proves to be more trouble than he's worth, I'll dispose of him and use him to power the soul bombs replace him with Tormod.

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

I have a Tymna the Weaver + Kraum, Ludevic's Opus deck from way back when original partners dropped, which is a mixture of saboteurs (hit people, get stuff) and equipment (that cause you to hit people, get stuff + sunforger). One thing I've been looking at it forking this deck into a Tymna/Sakashima Saboteur deck and an ?? deck built around equipment and Sunforger especially.

So I've built Kraum, Ludevic's Opus + Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist and will be trying it out in a few days. Arden equips everything to Kraum at start of combat, and Kraum hastily goes and swings it at the enemy. I've found he's also pretty easy to get to 7 power (just add sunforger), but can get to 11 power or even 11 + double strike surprisingly easily with a few sunforger uses (ever heard of Invigorated Rampage? Neither had I). Kraum also has evasion, passively draws cards, and gives the red and blue needed for an ideal sunforger setup. Arden is a great plan B in that he can simply wield all the random equipment himself or put it on anyone, but crucially, can curve alongside equipment and kraum pretty well, triggers in time for same turn attacking, and allows for multiple sunforger uses by firing it off pre-combat and then reattaching for free.

We'll see how it goes. I'm worried about the lack of a non-combat win condition. Theres a few pillowforts floating around my group and typically if I can't hit it with a sunforger I probably can't hit it with anything else either.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”