Any spicy Commander Legends brews incoming?

Mimicvat
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

I swear, Sakashima + X playing a "as many copies of your general as possible" tribal seems to be just good across the board. Lets you really, really focus your deck on a particular gimmick.

I've made S+Krark, the Thumbless [/card], and its nuts. Goes semi-infinite with clones, rituals and then a lightning bolt or whatever really consistently.

S + Akroma, Vision of Ixidor creates two massive fliers just by themselves, and then more even bigger fliers once you start copying the Akroma further. Four Akromas would make each other 18/18s with two of them being commanders, five start one shotting with commander damage and two shotting without.

S + Alena, Kessig Trapper turns any ETB into a gazillion mana.

S + Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper nets a ton of life with every hit, and puts you into the best color combo in the game.

S + Kamahl, Heart of Krosa is an ever increasing army of mega-lords

S + Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar would make a hilarious, if terrible, voltron deck due to multiple triggers on damage. Sounds frikken awesome this one

S + Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix is a strict upgrade on a pure Kydele deck, and turns any Wheel into double, triple, quadriple the mana from before with clones.

S + Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist is potentially a cool group-slug option, handing out tons of cards if people hit each other.

S + Malcolm Keen-Eyed Navigator as mentioned in an earlier post is a ton of value for your pirates hitting players, plus they are pirates themselves so they and their clones ramp like maniacs.

S + Prava of the Steel Legion leads to +2/+8 tokens, and since there are a number of token based clones, those will get the buffs too.

S + Ravos, Soultender is a ton of grind and creature based control, plus Sakashima can simply clone your best creature on the board if it is not Ravos.

S + Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith is a ton of rocks. Go all in on your weird red and blue land ramp and spit out a million of these bad boys.

S + Tormod, the Desecrator is two zombies per trigger, with a few more clones and a steady supply of self exile or reanimate you end up with an army every turn.

S + Tymna the Weaver I'm an unabashed Tymna fan, and making two Tymnas seems like a legit direction to take my current Tymna + Kraum, Ludevic's Opus equipment deck.

s + Vial Smasher the Fierce seems amongst the best combos. Typical 'ramp into big stuff, win with value spells and Vial' deck. Add clones for a cool take on the Vial Smasher archetype that scales wildly when you clone him for extra damage.

Such an absurd partner. Jeska is still my favorite but Sakashima is undoubtedly the best
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
s + Vial Smasher the Fierce seems amongst the best combos. Typical 'ramp into big stuff, win with value spells and Vial' deck. Add clones for a cool take on the Vial Smasher archetype that scales wildly when you clone him for extra damage.
I'm currently working on this, albeit very slowly. I wanted to put together Vial Smasher the Fierce & Kraum, Ludevic's Opus with Obosh, the Preypiercer as companion (VKO) after darrenhabib shared his Curiosity Control-style list, but put the idea aside when the companion nerf was announced. Having Sakashima of a Thousand Faces as a second Smasher in the command zone replicates the main draw that Obosh provided to the VKO build (doubled Smasher damage), but now without the odd CMC requirement, so I'm keen to give it another go.

I'm thinking a mix of clones with some damage magnifiers and Wound Reflection or Archfiend of Despair, since they work with Smasher on the turn they are cast. Beyond that, utilising Curiosity effects and other draw in lieu of Wheels for card advantage and using cards with alternate or reduced cost mechanics to efficiently cast big CMC spells for the Smasher damage. Could also go for some extra turn spells since they're high CMC and are effectively free. There are a lot of ways to build this pair, so just need to figure out exactly where I want it to go.
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
I swear, Sakashima + X playing a "as many copies of your general as possible" tribal seems to be just good across the board. Lets you really, really focus your deck on a particular gimmick.
Honestly, I think Sakashima is maindeckable as well. It just feels like a good clone++. There are all sorts of shenanigans that could be had with something like Infinite Reflection, too.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Myllior wrote:
3 years ago
Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
I'm currently working on this, albeit very slowly. I wanted to put together Vial Smasher the Fierce & Kraum, Ludevic's Opus with Obosh, the Preypiercer as companion (VKO) after darrenhabib shared his Curiosity Control-style list, but put the idea aside when the companion nerf was announced. Having Sakashima of a Thousand Faces as a second Smasher in the command zone replicates the main draw that Obosh provided to the VKO build (doubled Smasher damage), but now without the odd CMC requirement, so I'm keen to give it another go.
Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Honestly, I think Sakashima is maindeckable as well. It just feels like a good clone++. There are all sorts of shenanigans that could be had with something like Infinite Reflection, too.
I agree with all of the above, he's bonkers. At the helm, in the 99, 100% worth playing if you have even 2-3 creatures that are worth having a second copy of.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

toctheyounger

I had a brew running through my head all last night for Liesa, Shroud of Dusk as a lich/lifegain/lifeloss commander control deck. It's probably somewhere between unpleasant to play and terrible to pilot, but I can't help but wonder. I'd probably smash a whole lot of phyrexian mana stuff like Norn's Annex, Dismember and such, Vilis, Broker of Blood, Bolas's Citadel and K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth, Tainted Sigil and Children of Korlis plus some reanimation and control elements.

At this point, my wife's picking up our box sometime today, and any of the spice I've loosely brainstormed has a chance of being built if I pull it. Pretty hyped to see what comes up, especially after seeing the latest Game Knights episode - it really was a pretty great display of everything that EDH is as a format.

narglfrob

Post by narglfrob » 3 years ago

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Sakashima + ...
I'm surprised to see no mention of Reyhan, Last of the Abzan with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces.

With two Reyhans in play, each time a creature dies with one or more +1/+1 counters on it, you get two Reyhan triggers effectively doubling the number of +1/+1 counters.

With spare bodies on board and a free sacrifice outlet, you can (at instant speed) quickly build up a silly amount of counters.

Combine with cards like Chasm Skulker to go truly exponential.
Examples:
Starting Conditions:
Reyhan + Sakashima (as Reyhan) + Sac Outlet + 1 dork + Chasm Skulker (with 5x +1/+1 counters) = 128 +1/+1 counters
Reyhan + Sakashima (as Reyhan) + Sac Outlet + 1 dork + Chasm Skulker (with 6x +1/+1 counters) = 256 +1/+1 counters

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Yeah, there is no way I'm not building Sakashima of a Thousand Faces!
I'm buzzing around an artifact build as well as a fast aggro/voltron style deck, so I'm trying Akiri, Line-Slinger with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces. Lots of treasures, some gold, some stones, some control elements. Sounds fun!

Another thing I'm experimenting with is Silas Renn, Seeker Adept and Rebbec, Architect of Ascension. She makes him nearly unblockable, so this could be the first time that Silas can connect regularly.

And yeah, this set is so full of ideas, I honestly don't know where to start.

toctheyounger

narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Sakashima + ...
I'm surprised to see no mention of Reyhan, Last of the Abzan with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces.
<snip>
Good grief. That's slightly nutty.

Sinis

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I had a brew running through my head all last night for Liesa, Shroud of Dusk as a lich/lifegain/lifeloss commander control deck. It's probably somewhere between unpleasant to play and terrible to pilot, but I can't help but wonder. I'd probably smash a whole lot of phyrexian mana stuff like Norn's Annex, Dismember and such, Vilis, Broker of Blood, Bolas's Citadel and K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth, Tainted Sigil and Children of Korlis plus some reanimation and control elements.
Mirror Universe analogues please! There are lots of affordable ones.
narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago

I think a lot of people already have Ukkima/Cazur in those colours, but, I think I like this combo more.

toctheyounger

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
Mirror Universe analogues please! There are lots of affordable ones.
Oh yeah, I had thoughts of Evra, Halcyon Witness, Axis of Mortality and such. I.....don't know if I'm quite brave enough to go as jank as Soul Conduit, or what the payoff is.

edit - the payoff is probably Vizkopa Guildmage or Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose.

Sinis

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Oh yeah, I had thoughts of Evra, Halcyon Witness, Axis of Mortality and such. I.....don't know if I'm quite brave enough to go as jank as Soul Conduit, or what the payoff is.

edit - the payoff is probably Vizkopa Guildmage or Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose.
Yeah. I think you could also get ground out of Repay in Kind

toctheyounger

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago

Yeah. I think you could also get ground out of Repay in Kind
Oooh, I'd forgotten that card existed. Nice.

Mimicvat

narglfrob wrote:
3 years ago
Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Sakashima + ...

With two Reyhans in play, each time a creature dies with one or more +1/+1 counters on it, you get two Reyhan triggers effectively doubling the number of +1/+1 counters.

With spare bodies on board and a free sacrifice outlet, you can (at instant speed) quickly build up a silly amount of counters.

Combine with cards like Chasm Skulker to go truly exponential.
Examples:
Starting Conditions:
Reyhan + Sakashima (as Reyhan) + Sac Outlet + 1 dork + Chasm Skulker (with 5x +1/+1 counters) = 128 +1/+1 counters
Reyhan + Sakashima (as Reyhan) + Sac Outlet + 1 dork + Chasm Skulker (with 6x +1/+1 counters) = 256 +1/+1 counters
Yikes. I didn't reread Reyhan as I've seen him before, thought he read "move" the counters. Had an idea of doubling season + moving the counters several times but figured it wasn't good enough. He's exactly the type of scalable triggered effect that makes Sakashima completely broken
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

I'm kinda happy that Thrasio is the only partner not viable with Sakashima.

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

I just made a pretty spicy pile of jank with Jared Carthalion, True Heir as the g-unit. It features some "secret commanders" and is looking more and more fun the more I think it about it. It is a flavor deck built out of love...the secret units are Hans Eriksson and Saffi Eriksdotter with a special appearance by the Lhurgoyf. There's a persist theme going and let me tell you, I think it might slap. The list is in the decklist section as "King Conan in Scouts of the Empire". Probably not the Jared brew you were thinking of
Responds well to spells and abilities

toctheyounger

Well, personally I pulled none of the three piles of spiciness i was looking at brewing which is disappointing. Thankfully none of them are overly expensive.

I have most of the makings of Blim to hand so ill probably throw something together for him first and see what happens from there.

Maluko

Post by Maluko » 3 years ago

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Nobody has mentioned Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder + Jeska, Thrice Reborn yet. 6x damage to one of your creatures each turn. Brusey boi can get to 18 commander in one go, but unfortunately not 21. So make any random creature with like five or six power one shot people who have taken chip damage, or any 7 damage creature one shot from full life.

I just had to make it, so seeing how it goes. I think we have enough colorless draw, wheels etc for a Boros Deck that isn't dedicated to card advantage to get by.
Don't forget Tana, the Bloodsower! I intent to partner her up with Jeska in a power-matters devour strategy. I can already imagine, surprise Might of Oaks for 27 commander damage and 27 saprolings, devour them all to Thromok the Insatiable, then cast Chandra's Ignition on Thromok, target him with Jeska next turn and deal 4,374 damage to the face. Take that, lifegain deck :crazy:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Maluko wrote:
3 years ago
Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Nobody has mentioned Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder + Jeska, Thrice Reborn yet. 6x damage to one of your creatures each turn. Brusey boi can get to 18 commander in one go, but unfortunately not 21. So make any random creature with like five or six power one shot people who have taken chip damage, or any 7 damage creature one shot from full life.

I just had to make it, so seeing how it goes. I think we have enough colorless draw, wheels etc for a Boros Deck that isn't dedicated to card advantage to get by.
Don't forget Tana, the Bloodsower! I intent to partner her up with Jeska in a power-matters devour strategy. I can already imagine, surprise Might of Oaks for 27 commander damage and 27 saprolings, devour them all to Thromok the Insatiable, then cast Chandra's Ignition on Thromok, target him with Jeska next turn and deal 4,374 damage to the face. Take that, lifegain deck :crazy:
Jeska only triples combat damage sadly, but 729 damage (27x27) should accomplish the same result.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Antis

Post by Antis » 3 years ago

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Sakashima + X...
Still missed the combo I'm intending to make, Sakashima+Krark. Finally, I'm gonna make that coin flip.dec I've always wanted.

For those who don't immediately see it, Krark makes it so that you have 50% chance to whiff and 50% to doublecast any instant or sorcery spell you cast. Well, that's what he does on his own, anyway. If, by some random stroke of luck, you were to have two Krarks in play, the odds shift to:
  • 25% total whiff — no effect, spell returns to hand
  • 50% buyback — get the spell's effect AND return it to your hand (yes, the effect can still copy the spell even if it leaves the stack before the trigger resolves)
  • 25% triplecast — get the spell's effect three times and it goes to the graveyard
This is what I've been looking for in a coin flip deck all along. I like Magic fun, but I also like to win, so I've been waiting forever for something that'll make coin flips unbalanced. Tried to build Okaun+Zndrsplt, but that deck didn't really push me in any other direction than coin flips, so I never found a satisfactory way of filling it up. Again, fun is great, but I'd also like to win from time to time, so I'm not gonna just play EVERY coin flip card there is no matter how bad, and having no other direction from the generals meant filling the rest of the deck with boring, generic goodstuff. No, thanks.

But the Krark+Sakashima pairing intrigues me because Krark simultaneously is and isn't a coin flip commander. Yes he flips coins himself, but he doesn't interact with your other flips other than maybe randomly Forking your Stitch in Time. Mechanically, he's a spellslinger general. He lets you possibly inflate your storm count for things that trigger off of casting spells, he can do things like grant you a chance to return spells with retrace to your hand when you cast them from your graveyard, and, as I've mentioned, Sakashima not only gives access to the second spellslinging color, but also skews the chances in my favor.

But then you get to flavor. It's Krark, dammit! His thumb is legendary! His card's name refers to it! OF COURSE I'm gonna play coin flip.dec with him! And lookie here, Sakashima juuust so happens to allow me to bypass the legend rule and copy Krark's Thumb to my heart's content. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

So basically, my intent is to play the better ones of the coin flip cards and fill the rest of the deck with spellslinger stuff, with some cloning on the side. It's gonna be the most chaotic deck I've ever built, but by my calculations, it should still veer towards being chaotic in my favor.

PROTIP: Look out for my Trap cards =)

Mimicvat

Antis wrote:
3 years ago
Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Sakashima + X...
Still missed the combo I'm intending to make, Sakashima+Krark. Finally, I'm gonna make that coin flip.dec I've always wanted.
Was looking for the less popular ones, the pairing that many people jumped to was S+Krark. I've even built one, which tries to make a ton (not infinite, a ton) of mana and then cast lightning bolt a ton (again, not infinite) of times

A powerful effect that you haven't mentioned is clones. Sakashima allows you to make non-legendary Krark's which means that you can quickly end up with "each cast = return to hand plus several copies". There are even clones that are instants and sorceries so they are duplicated by the coin flip effect.
Main decks;

Antis

I'm aware of the possible cloning shenanigans. I mentioned copying Krark's Thumb in my previous post, but yeah, I know I can do more than that in that deck. So you're saying you had a good time with it?

abel88

Post by abel88 » 3 years ago

im brewing a landfall thing with Kamahl, Heart of Krosa and Jeska, Thrice Reborn. with a few extra combat and damage doubling shenanigans

toctheyounger

abel88 wrote:
3 years ago
im brewing a landfall thing with Kamahl, Heart of Krosa and Jeska, Thrice Reborn. with a few extra combat and damage doubling shenanigans
That.....uh, that sounds downright nasty.

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 3 years ago

I'm brewing some kind of Elf Necro-ball tokens thing currently. Not sure if it's actually gonna be led by one of the new Elf General (pair)s or not, but CMR certainly added a few spicy elves to the mix.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Antis

I say play Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh with Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper just so you can hide Prossh, Skyraider of Kher in the 99 >=)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”