So how do we Gnostro? (Let's Brew!)"

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Gnostro, Voice of the Crags

So this card is... not very impressive. I can see it's use with cards like Pemmin's Aura and Jeskai Ascendancy, even then it'd take a 2+ casts before it's advantage takes root; per turn. However, I guess that's what makes building his deck enticing.

Good thing about Gnostro is that it's not limited to non-creature spells like many other Jeskai cards. If you add Eligeth, Crossroads Augur you get to draw the cards you scry, or use Scroll Rack to put useless stuff on top of your library then scry them away. If you want to deal damage directly to opponents, Brash Taunter, Stuffy Doll, and Repercussion are your friends. A typical combo (?) would likely be cast 3ish spells, then continue to tap/untap Gnostro to deal damage to Brash Taunter for direct damage. In this scenario, Blasphemous Act becomes a direct 13 damage hit as well.

To maximize Gnostro's power, cards that untap lands like Frantic Search and Time Spiral let you play more spells, and flashback/jumpstart let you cast those spells again, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Chandra, Acolyte of Flame let you play the rest.

Can we find other tricks to pull this Chimera out of the swamp?

Last edited by Cyberium 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 3 years ago

Freed from the Real is a smart card to add for this.

FenrirRex
Answers: 1

Post by FenrirRex » 3 years ago

Have to recommend Grinning Ignus as my favorite inclusion for these kinds of shenanigans- can even more freely loop him with Treasonous Ogre with the commander's lifegain as a fallback option.

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Jeskai Ascendancy seems like the MVP here. My instinct for Gnostro, Voice of the Crags is that you'll likely want to cast a bunch of spells to increase the magnitude of the ability. However, the payoff per spell is sort of low - scry +1 / 1 damage / 1 life per spell isn't that impressive. Even if you add in Stuffy Doll, Gnostro is still doing less than Guttersnipe (ignoring the card type restriction).

However, if you add in some additional untaps, Gnostro looks significantly more impressive. If you can get 2+ damage or life per spell, that's a lot better. Simultaneously, if you're able to scry a bunch to stack your deck, you'll pretty much never fizzle.

....I'll note that while Jeskai doesn't have a bunch of mana dorks for casting more spells directly, it does have options like Wind Zendikon and Fatestitcher, and Kykar, Wind's Fury. There is of course the question of 'why Gnostro instead of Kykar?', but that's not a question I have the answer to.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

I am honestly having a hard seeing why I would want to run this card as a commanderwhen there are better Jeskai spellslinger options, including Kykar, Wind's Fury and Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest(who already helms one of my decks). I can see him maybe making the cut for inclusion in one of their decks... or maybe not. Scry X and possible repeated targeted cfreature removal are both good, and this card might be very good if you are already running effects that let you activate it several times a turn, but the pool of cards that is potentially good in that sort of deck is already deep enough that I don't know how often Gnostro is going to make the cut.

This would be much stronger if the damage effect could be directed to any target.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago
To maximize Gnostro's power, cards that untap lands like Frantic Search and Time Spiral let you play more spells, and flashback/jumpstart let you cast those spells again, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Chandra, Acolyte of Flame let you play the rest.

Can we find other tricks to pull this Chimera out of the swamp?
The thing is that as soon as you start looking heavily into a storm deck you just come to the conclusion that there are better options from the command zone.

I've built a Krark, the Thumbless deck and I use "free" spells to up cast counts with the idea that you actually want to lose the flips as much as possible so that you can recast the spells. Gitaxian Probe, Mental Misstep, Gut Shot, Mogg Salvage, Fierce Guardianship, Deflecting Swat, Submerge, Flawless Maneuver.

Shrieking Drake for cast counts.

Thornbite Staff to shoot down as many creatures as possible in a turn.

Willbreaker to gain control of creatures.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

People are right on that, crucially and unlike the mighty Kykar, this dude counts any spell cast and isn't just looking for noncreature spells.

- You can cast Shrieking Drake or Kor Skyfisher or Whitemane Lion as much as you have mana for, then get your effect.
- Or you can use cost reducers + Eggs to go off and get a huge "Storm Count" before you zap, scry, or gain.
- You can possibly make it infinite with something like Cloudstone Curio + Kobolds, or cost reducers (Cloud Key, Ugin, the Ineffable, Semblance Anvil, Etherium Sculptor, etc) + Ancestral Statue.
- He plays a bit like a bizarre Aetherflux Reservoir with something like an Intruder Alarm.

He's a payoff for that and also can enjoy the same Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter, Jeskai Ascendancy, and Underworld Breach engines that his counterparts enjoy.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Updated with ideas. Yeah, I most definitely don't want to make this into a pure storm deck, not only because other commanders are better at this, it's also not fun (for me). Though, as many of you pointed out, because Gnostro doesn't require noncreature spell there are extra ways to storm him off. Sigh.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Any zero cost combination of creatures will do not just Kobolds for Cloudstone Curio; Memnite, Ornithopter, Phyrexian Walker, Shield Sphere.
Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh says it's rude to leave me out!
Ranger of Eos and Ranger-Captain of Eos are excellent for getting these creatures.

You can look at other zero cost creature combos.
Enduring Renewal with a sacrifice outlet allows infinite casts.

Interestingly if you mix in Intruder Alarm with zero cost creatures then you can use Cowardice to target your own zero cost creature with Gnostro ability to return it to hand. It will return to hand before the damage is dealt.
So you'd only need one zero cost creature to keep recasting, with the aim of getting infinite storm count, then you can scry through your whole deck for a win con.

Equilibrium is another card that allows you to bounce creatures but you need to pay 1 each time. You need another enabler like Urza, Lord High Artificer with the zero cost artifact creatures.

Auriok Salvagers + Lion's Eye Diamond is infinite casts of the LED.
Last edited by darrenhabib 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Any zero cost combination of creatures will do not just Kobolds for Cloudstone Curio; Memnite, Ornithopter, Phyrexian Walker, Shield Sphere.
Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh says it's rude to leave me out!
Ranger of Eos and Ranger-Captain of Eos are excellent for getting these creatures.

You can look at other zero cost creature combos.
Enduring Renewal with a sacrifice outlet allows infinite casts.

Interestingly if you mix in Intruder Alarm with zero cost creatures then you can use Cowardice to target your own zero cost creature with Gnostro ability to return it to hand. It will return to hand before the damage is dealt.
So you'd only need one zero cost creature to keep recasting, with the aim of getting infinite storm count, then you can scry through your whole deck for a win con.

Equilibrium is another card that allows you to bounce creatures but you need to pay 1 each time. You need another enabler like Urza, Lord High Artificer with the zero cost artifact creatures.

Auriok Salvagers + Lion's Eye Diamond is infinite casts of the LED.
Worth pointing out that none of the artifact 0 cost creatures work with Cloudstone Curio, as it very specifically includes a "non-artifact" clause on the trigger.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

messing around on scryfall I noticed that this guy is bottom 3 among all original CMR commanders. (the search) is this cos it's got the most open-ended ability? Whenever I take a glance at Gnostro I imagine combining all the best Flashback, Adventure, Buyback, Suspend,Aftermath and Cascade spells in its colours; is it possible to dodge the storm crap and just run a deck with a lot of high quality instants, using Gnostro to give yourself good quality of life? Intruder Alarm not as an instant win but as actual discouragement to your opponents? etc?

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

folding_music wrote:
2 years ago
messing around on scryfall I noticed that this guy is bottom 3 among all original CMR commanders. (the search) is this cos it's got the most open-ended ability? Whenever I take a glance at Gnostro I imagine combining all the best Flashback, Adventure, Buyback, Suspend,Aftermath and Cascade spells in its colours; is it possible to dodge the storm crap and just run a deck with a lot of high quality instants, using Gnostro to give yourself good quality of life? Intruder Alarm not as an instant win but as actual discouragement to your opponents? etc?
How does Scryfall determines popularity, btw? I don't recall Scryfall monitors # of decks made. EDHREC puts Gnostro a little higher on its list.

But if I must venture a guess, it's most likely because Gnostro's abilities aren't as powerful as people wanted. It only damages creatures, instead of drawing you only get to scry, and gaining life isn't a popular strategy amongst Jeskai color. All three abilities have its uses, and being able to reuse its effect via untapping is great, but it only lasts a turn and Gnostro doesn't have a way to refill your hand by itself. People prefer immediate board impacting value like drawing and creating an army just by casting spells, with a define direction or are simply powerful.

In other words, Gnostro isn't an easy commander to play with, and even after all the set up you may still have trouble dominating the field within the turn you "storm" it up. When people storm, they intend to win or close to winning.

I play Gnostro because it's fun. It spices up the table because people would be excited to see what I can do with it. Pemmin's Aura has been sitting in my binder till Gnostro came about.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I believe scryfall goes off popularity as a card. There's no way to search by commander popularity through scryfall afaik.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

Honestly, once you can untap a bunch you can win with a number of different commanders. I think this guy would play similar to Reveka Wizard Savant from Homelands, the difference being he has more options to untap him being 3 colors but also has to take an extra step to actually kill people.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 2 years ago

He's also nonthreatening. You're likely to be able to leave him around on the field in what us ordinarily a very scary color combination. That seems like an upside to him not being super good, haha.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

Moonlighter wrote:
2 years ago
He's also nonthreatening. You're likely to be able to leave him around on the field in what us ordinarily a very scary color combination. That seems like an upside to him not being super good, haha.
You can technically include other "scary" legends into a Gnostro deck as well, as back up. Given their similar nature, you use Gnostro when you're at a casual table, switch to Kykar, Wind's Fury when you face a tougher opponent. The result will not be optimal, but it's good to have different pace within a single deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”