Building Lavinia unlocked

Ertai Planeswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 3 years ago

I want to build a deck with Lavinia, Azorius Renegade at the helm. I kind of fell in love with the card ever since it came out but it always felt like one of those guilty pleasures you dream of but never actually do. But no more!

Flash forward a month of trying to find decklists and doing my research and at this point i'm stumped. In order to actually be able to repeatedly play the deck in my playgroup I do not want to hardlock people completely, so no Omen Machine and no Knowledge Pool. That means 95% of the decklists online are not that usefull as those are all optimized for deploying the lock as fast as possible. However, i like breaking some parity so I do want to include Eye of the Storm and Dream Halls.

I want to take it a hatebears route where I will make life very difficult for my opponents but not impossible. Where i'm stumped though is with finding a wincon. Delaying my opponents if all fine but how do I win when I manage to do so? I think Approach of the Second Sun is a good option but it's just one card (and costs 7...). Also, we do not like infinite combo's so those are not an option.

I've never built a deck like this before so I have no idea regarding ratio's: how much hate should I play, how much counter, ramp, draw etc in a deck like this?

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

eye of the storm is a good win condition. Pair it with Mill or something.
You can do some token and go wide strategies.

Since you want Eye of the Storm I would focus on instants and sorceries.

You can also ult planeswalkers. There are many in these colors that win the game.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago

You can also ult planeswalkers. There are many in these colors that win the game.
In my experience, walkers get targeted from the moment they hit the field. Since it also would require additional effort to keep them safe I don't feel like relying on walkers to ult as a wincon. I have an Atraxa Superfriends deck designed soley to get emblems as quickly as possible and even that deck finds itself struggling to stick a walker let alone get it to ult. Only exception i'm making here is Karn, the Great Creator as it breaks parity with Lavinia too well.

Mill could be an option, although i'm not too keen on relying on one card to make it work. I think Eye blanking my opponents instants and sorceries and providing me with extra is good value, but just that: value.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

She is so cheap I always wanted to try her with a small equipment subtheme. You're likely to want to play some guys like Hushbringer and Hushwing Gryff that are great with equipment as well, and Thalia, Heretic Cathar and the new one Archon of Emeria. Lots of really cool duders.

Evasive/good keyword hatebears.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Ertai Planeswalker wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago

In my experience, walkers get targeted from the moment they hit the field. Since it also would require additional effort to keep them safe I don't feel like relying on walkers to ult as a wincon. I have an Atraxa Superfriends deck designed soley to get emblems as quickly as possible and even that deck finds itself struggling to stick a walker let alone get it to ult. Only exception i'm making here is Karn, the Great Creator as it breaks parity with Lavinia too well.

Mill could be an option, although i'm not too keen on relying on one card to make it work. I think Eye blanking my opponents instants and sorceries and providing me with extra is good value, but just that: value.
I find these kind of hatebeary decks to be good at ulting planeswalkers.
If it were me, I would play Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis. Maybe another 1 or 2.
I would play Increasing Devotion. I would also play Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. Elesh is a win con in hatebears. All your bears are 4/4s and do real damage.
Increasing devotion is thus a win con with Elesh or Eye of the Storm.
Another win con for hatebears is Mirror Entity.

that's how I feel. with hatebears you can go for combat damage with a couple strong anthem cards, or you can go grindy and try to ult planeswalkers. That's if you don't want combos.

Not sure what other win conditions you would want.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”