Directions for Obuun?

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

From the Zendikar Rising commander precons:

Obuun, Mul Daya Ancestor
1RGW
Legendary Creature - Elf Spirit
At the beginning of combat on your turn, up to one target land you control becomes an X/X Elemental creature with trample and haste until end of turn, where X is Obuun's power. It's still a land.

Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
3/3

This is quite a versatile commander. It's three colors, it's elf, it's spirit, a land animation ability base on its power, and +1/+1 counters via landfall, that's a lot of directions packed into one legend.

My first thought is to play it like Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper, with Abzan cards where +1/+1 counter would add keywords to a creature, that'd make sure the attacking land is packed with size and effects, and more likely than not an indestructible Darksteel Citadel.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

Directions? Don't forget the left turn at Albuquerque...

On a more serious note: The "problem" with Obuun is that you don't make the creature until combat, so you can't buff the creature you are making during the combat you elementalize the land. You won't want to play your lands until after combat, to make sure you have targets for the landfall ability (unless you only plan on buffing/protecting Obuun). This tells me that if you want lands to get Abzan style buffs, you will need ways to make them into creatures either before combat (manlands) or with other than EOT effects (e.g. Zendikons). You will probably also want ways to drop land mid-combat (e.g. Walking Atlas)

Cards/ideas I would recommend for consideration in a Naya ManLand deck include (I will update if I think of more):
Last edited by Treamayne 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
V/R

Treamayne

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

You could just take a setup turn by turning it into a creature, then playing a land second main to get a counter on the land. Or use a fetchland to do it mid-combat. You definitely don't need to resort to zendikons...
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Treamayne

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
You definitely don't need to resort to zendikons...
See, you say "resort to" and I say "enjoy bending"...

For Example - My Estrid ManLand deck really likes prepping a few Zendikons, Elemental Manlands wearing a Wild Growth variant, etc. then dropping Infiltrator's Magemark. A zendikon aura is generally low enough to not draw targeted removal, so it generally (IME) is safe except from enchantment sweepers. That gives options...
V/R

Treamayne

Cyberium

Treamayne wrote:
3 years ago
On a more serious note: The "problem" with Obuun is that you don't make the creature until combat, so you can't buff the creature you are making during the combat you elementalize the land. You won't want to play your lands until after combat, to make sure you have targets for the landfall ability (unless you only plan on buffing/protecting Obuun). This tells me that if you want lands to get Abzan style buffs, you will need ways to make them into creatures either before combat (manlands) or with other than EOT effects (e.g. Zendikons). You will probably also want ways to drop land mid-combat (e.g. Walking Atlas)
As you noted in your card suggestions, the Awaken ability works well with Obuun since Awaken turn lands into 0/0 with counters, while Obuun would give it another +X/+X. Manlands work well with Obuun as well since you can turn them into creatures at any time.

And because Obuun only transforms one land at a time till end of turn, I think the landi-mation ability is more like a support mechanic amidst others. I might go with an equipment build that'd buff Obuun then subsequentially buff his land.

Treamayne

Another thing to consider, just because you have already paid to activate something like Needle Spires, doesn't mean it can't be the target of Obuun's ability. Making a manland that already has abilities (doublestrike in this example) bigger through the support ability is another axis of flexibility that might merit consideration.

I've found similar shenanigans useful in my Sydri Vehicle deck, where the vehicles will still have their keywords no matter how they are animated (crew, Sydri or Karn)
V/R

Treamayne

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 3 years ago

Personally I plan to go Naya Elves! with Obuun. Oracle of Mul Daya, Mina and Denn, Wildborn, Quirion Ranger, & so on synergize with the landfall trigger. Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, Viridian Joiner, & Marwyn, the Nurturer benefit from Obuun's +1/+1 counters. Etc.

If you want shenanigans based on animating lands, there's always the old Griffin Canyon combo: turn into a creature, give the Griffin type via Mirror Entity or whatever, & then it can pump itself arbitrarily huge. & it even has trample from Obuun's animating trigger.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

My first thought is Inkmoth Nexus. You have access to green's any land tutors and I believe you can activate Inkmoth and then apply the commander's power / toughness setting effect to it afterwards keeping flying / infect and buffing it.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

You could try to Voltron and then you can hit two people with large creatures.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Cyberium

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
You could try to Voltron and then you can hit two people with large creatures.
Definitely. Extra combat phases would allow me to reanimate more lands as well, assuming you have ways to protect them (Deflecting Swat, Flawless Maneuver, etc).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”