Yuriko Ninja Tribal (Without big spells)

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 3 years ago

Yuriko, the Tiger's shadow

Yuriko is notorious for people stuffing things like eldrazi into their deck in hope that the will hit hose card on yuriko's effects. I want to ry something else, i was no different, with the likes of Draco added to the list I however don;t want that this time around. Yuriko was my answer to ninjas. I was finally able to play a Ninja tribal deck. (Vela the night-clad worked, but she is not a ninja. She is staying in the deck though.)

thing is don't want to hot with 6 and ten reveal all 5 legal endrazi titans and draco. I want the deck to be ninja themes, with spells that suit ninjas (like Jump) So i am looking for help on finding cards that seem "ninja" inspired.to put them in a ninja tribal deck.

I know this post is a little bland and may be unorganized, but this is the first thing i did this morning.

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

Here's my first pass at a maybe board of cards to consider, organized by theme function. I've liked clone effects with Ninja (yes, like most Japanese nouns, the plural does not use an "s") in the past, since you can use Ninjutsu to "reset" the clone, abuse E/LTB effects, etc. Equipment that trigger on attack will still trigger, nd various forms of evasion are always good. Auras that self-recur are also decent options. And since you are often casting and recasting permanents, ways to reduce casting costs will probably be quite strong.

It's just a list of cards to consider, not a decklist or complete list of considerations.
UB Ninja Theorycraft
Approximate Total Cost:

V/R

Treamayne

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 3 years ago

Given that I already have a cEDH grade Yuriko deck, I want to try something similar with restrictions.
Also, most Yuriko decks just stick to Blinkmoth Infusion and Temporal Trespass and simply tutor for them rather than run dead cards. Blinkmoth is dead on its own but is a blue spell to pitch to force.
Mine I think would probably be no non-ninja rares allowed.

Are honorary ninjas like Tetsuko allowed?

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 3 years ago

plushpenguin wrote:
3 years ago
Given that I already have a cEDH grade Yuriko deck, I want to try something similar with restrictions.
Also, most Yuriko decks just stick to Blinkmoth Infusion and Temporal Trespass and simply tutor for them rather than run dead cards. Blinkmoth is dead on its own but is a blue spell to pitch to force.
Mine I think would probably be no non-ninja rares allowed.

Are honorary ninjas like Tetsuko allowed?
I would instead change it to no rare non-creatures. I mean there are a bunch of clones you would want to run. And most are rare.

Tetsuko, while allowed, is not really beneficial. You get like 3 ninjas that he helps. I would need better forms of evasion.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Why Seal of the Guildpact?
I personally really like Baleful Strix, which was in the Vela planechase deck. I also like faerie impostor and Shrieking Drake.
I will eventually get to building this deck and will also not include the crazy high-cmc spells - except for Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time I guess since I really like them in EDH.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
Why Seal of the Guildpact?
It's a CMC reducer that can be considered for the deck. As seen above
Treamayne wrote:
3 years ago
...And since you are often casting and recasting permanents, ways to reduce casting costs will probably be quite strong.
V/R

Treamayne

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

My Yuriko deck isn't 100% flavor, but I also don't run uncastable nonsense like Draco (because it feels bad) or hard to cast Eldrazi (which are out of my budget anyways). I don't think you need that stuff, honestly - if you can hit with 3+ ninjas and reveal a 4, a 4, and a 4, that's just as good as hitting with just Yuriko and revealing a 12. A few things that have really helped my list are...

- Split cards! I don't feel like Spite // Malice, Discovery // Dispersal, Connive // Concoct, Never // Return or Commit // Memory are out of flavor for a ninja deck, and these are great since they "look" like 7+ mana up top, but are useful and castable for 2-4 mana earlier in the match.

- Free spells. Misdirection and Snuff Out feel super ninja-y. Deadly Rollick, Fierce Guardianship, Force of Will, Force of Negation, Force of Despair, Commandeer, and Submerge varying degrees of less-so, but all of these are important. I've frequently found myself strapped for mana in a ninja deck - the paradox is that you can rarely keep mana up as you are paying ninjutsu costs and then recasting your dorks second main, and want to keep a low curve to ensure you regularly draw a 0 or 1 mana dork to start the ninja train, but also want 5+ mana cards to Lava Axe people with. These are all great since again they look like 3-5 mana in your library, but will be cast for 0 a lot of the time. The card disadvantage inherent to them tends to be irrelevant when you are drawing 1-4 extra cards per turn. I currently run Misdirection, Snuff Out, and Force of Despair, but I'd run the rest if I owned them.

- Delve cards are similarly good. Again, Dead Drop and Murderous Cut are flavor slam-dunks, but I also don't think Dig Through Time, Temporal Trespass, and Treasure Cruise are that far off. Your 'yard fills up fast if you are having to discard to 7 every turn while trading dorks and firing off cheap interaction, so these are easily castable for 1-2 mana but can hit for as much as 11 if revealed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”