Recommend me fun commander netdecks

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
I'd be very curious to know your opinions on different decks that you've played. Maybe less on the side of specific deck critiques (since many authors didn't recommend them as you stated) or other things that could be viewed negatively and more your view on things like how did the deck's play style mesh with your preferred play-style. How many games you played with it. How well did it match up against your home's metagame. Did you learn anything piloting it or were you surprised by any cool interactions you didn't think of. More that kind of stuff.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Interesting project. I likewise would love to hear back from you on the lists you have tested thus far. How the games went and possibly what you didn't like in the list. I guess from my own lists my suggestions would be:
I've posted more specific criticism in those decklist threads since that seemed more appropriate. I like the idea of focusing on how the deck was received by my meta here.

Norin - almost always well received, and even when it went off and crushed people weren't particularly annoyed or upset. Overall this is probably the one I'd recommend the most.

Jaya - Also generally well-received although people often fixated on the blue hate part of her ability and she tended to die a lot more often than her actual relevance to the game would justify. Besides the commander itself, which the deck isn't very focused on, it was fun, often revolving around equipment or big mana to win.

Grenzo - Too combo-heavy for my meta, and too time-hoggy for me to feel good playing. Presumably this might become lessened with more experience but I think the nature of the commander (ability that activates EOT, random hits dramatically change the course of your turn preventing you from planning ahead) makes it difficult to avoid.

Nissa - Felt less like a control deck and more like a general ramp deck to me, my wins were largely through huge mana overruns. I did spruce it up with a gaea's cradle admittedly - smoke 'em if you got 'em. Ultimately felt a bit too strong for the people I was playing with, though it wasn't irksome in it's general strategy.
I'd also personally be very curious to know how you feel about the changeling deck from a more critical viewpoint before and after you give it a couple of games. I'm also curious to know how you're tweaking the mana base.
I like the idea of changeling tribal in general, although it does test the limits of my collection (I'm missing four of the changelings in your list). Philosophically, though, I'm not too much for theme - committing to a concept just for the sake of doing it. If I'm focusing on a particular synergy, I want it to do something that couldn't be done without that synergy. So for example, Thunderherd Migration is not a card I plan to run in my list (I'm also not sure I have one). Haven't decided on the tribal lands yet, since they are pretty cute and most of them have been rotting in my collection since I got them...but most likely I'll be cutting them since they don't really hold up to stronger duals.

I will still be running a ton of tribal stuff to get maximum benefits off the changelings, though. Not sure if I'll run non-tribal cards to smooth the deck out, like ramp. But I will likely be running at least cards like sol ring - sol ring replaces a land, which doesn't detract from the tribal synergy anyway imo.

I'm pretty much building the tribal elements from the ground up to see what's available, since I've got so many I've never used. So despite stealing the idea, I'll probably actually post a decklist for this one (I haven't for the other ones since they're basically the same as the original lists with a few cards tweaked).

One thing I've toyed with is building it as Sliver Overlord with Zirda, the Dawnwaker, since Zirda precludes nearly every sliver from being run (I think there are 3, plus overlord itself, that can legally be run). Though that does dramatically cut down the number of changelings that can be run, they can all be tutored for just 1 mana each with both "commanders" on the field. My main concern is that the tutor ability would make games pretty repetitive, but on the other hand the changelings seem more like the interchangeable ammo while the tribal cards shape the direction of the game more strongly.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Updated the OP with the decks I've run thus far. Will add more as I try them out. Could also share my feelings on each of them in this thread, but I'm not sure that would be appreciated by their authors (especially since it's often not the authors recommending them)?

Currently working on changeling tribal...but that one takes a lot longer since I'm going through 15 boxes of cards =/ mono-color only takes 4, hence why almost all of them have been mono thus far.
I wasn't aware my Nissa deck had been recommended. You're welcome to feed back on it if you like. I'm well aware there's likely to be holes and flaws, so I'll have my thick skin ready should you decide to do so. So long as you had fun I'm happy.

edit: just saw your response. I'm happy with that.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I wasn't aware my Nissa deck had been recommended. You're welcome to feed back on it if you like. I'm well aware there's likely to be holes and flaws, so I'll have my thick skin ready should you decide to do so. So long as you had fun I'm happy.

I had been working on @WolfWhoWanders's multani deck, but was missing some key pieces so decided to pivot. Yours wasn't recommended directly but copying primers was suggested, so I was going off that.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago

I had been working on @WolfWhoWanders's multani deck, but was missing some key pieces so decided to pivot. Yours wasn't recommended directly but copying primers was suggested, so I was going off that.
Fair enough. Seems like it performed ok, so long as you had fun that's the main thing.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

not-a-cube

Post by not-a-cube » 3 years ago

I'll trow in the deck i've been playing the longest

Queen Marchesa here it's on tapped out.

It's not aikido or pillowfort, but more of an aggro deck. I really like it and it's gotten a bit of a reputation in my playgroup, but it adds the monarch and i love that. It used to be more equipment focused but that's going bit by bit.

If you end up playing it, tell me what you think, it can only make the deck better.
EDH Decks:
Queen Marchesa
Chainer, Dementia Master
Will Kenrith
Bruna, the fading light

DirkGently

I have built a marchesa deck before (both versions, listed in the OP although it might not be clear how I differentiate different versions of the same character so apologies for that). I might consider making a commander I've already done, but I'm definitely more interested in covering new ground.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

not-a-cube

Post by not-a-cube » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
I have built a marchesa deck before (both versions, listed in the OP although it might not be clear how I differentiate different versions of the same character so apologies for that). I might consider making a commander I've already done, but I'm definitely more interested in covering new ground.
That's fair, didn't see the spoiler tag in the OP and read past it.
EDH Decks:
Queen Marchesa
Chainer, Dementia Master
Will Kenrith
Bruna, the fading light

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”