Non blue or green commanders with a nonclunky ramp strategy

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I feel like Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle checkboxes a hell of a lot of the maybe considerations you laid out. I am not sure if the combo tastic nature of the commander / deck is a pro or a con for you. It does check a heck of a lot of those boxes you put out though. If it didn't go infinite so easily I would probably still be playing him myself.

It does potentially hit all of:
  • Plains.dec (ephara kinda fills this niche)
  • Shops (artifact theme)
  • Equipment is ramp (feast and famine, animist, dowsing dagger, etc)
  • Altars.dec (but unsure I could make that work, using stuff like phyrexian altar for Mana)
He is definitely among the more competitive mono white commanders though. The low curve nature of the deck is also really sweet and makes for a unique feeling deck. If it didn't accidentally combo so hard I have little doubt that I would still be playing it myself.
I do like Teshar a lot, if he had more ways to directly vomit out plains that would jam him way up my list - e.g. if we had a sakure-tribe elder plains finder he could recur.

Knight of the White Orchid is close, but limited.

The combo stuff doesn't bother me much except for the fact that people live in fear of it and feel like they constantly have to remove him. Which creates for an unpleasant game.

I'll keep it in mind for sure.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I feel like Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle checkboxes a hell of a lot of the maybe considerations you laid out. I am not sure if the combo tastic nature of the commander / deck is a pro or a con for you. It does check a heck of a lot of those boxes you put out though. If it didn't go infinite so easily I would probably still be playing him myself.

It does potentially hit all of:
  • Plains.dec (ephara kinda fills this niche)
  • Shops (artifact theme)
  • Equipment is ramp (feast and famine, animist, dowsing dagger, etc)
  • Altars.dec (but unsure I could make that work, using stuff like phyrexian altar for Mana)
He is definitely among the more competitive mono white commanders though. The low curve nature of the deck is also really sweet and makes for a unique feeling deck. If it didn't accidentally combo so hard I have little doubt that I would still be playing it myself.
I do like Teshar a lot, if he had more ways to directly vomit out plains that would jam him way up my list - e.g. if we had a sakure-tribe elder plains finder he could recur.

Knight of the White Orchid is close, but limited.

The combo stuff doesn't bother me much except for the fact that people live in fear of it and feel like they constantly have to remove him. Which creates for an unpleasant game.

I'll keep it in mind for sure.
Well, you do get the equipment tutors in white with low curve creatures so that does help. Also all of the mana stones = rezes so thats a good incentive to ramp with mana stones. Even things like Walking Atlas could be sweet being a rez target that rezes something else.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

What about the ol' Threaten and Sac?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
What about the ol' Threaten and Sac?
I have never been a huge fan of threaten effects that weren't mass somehow. Mass Mutiny and stuff. But there's definitely something to be said for that with Gadrak.

capitacommunist
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

As mentioned earlier in the thread an enchantment build around Serra's Sanctum would work quite well. Aside from focused generals like Daxos, Queen Marchesa also works quite well in a build with a lot of enchantments. Although you don't have green's land tutors, white does quite a good job at tutoring (legendary) lands and together with black tutors you should be able to get sanctum out every game.

The list in my signature is mardu artifacts, and it plays quite a lot of ramp. Although it's much more of a shops/aristocrats build than a ramp deck.

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

Depends on how you want to stretch what "ramp" is but if you want to cheat on mana/costs you could try to build around Zirda as the general.

You can do lots of unfair/infinite things with Zirda. But the cost reducing also allows for playing with underpowered/overcosted jank.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”