Old characters left for legends?

wildfire393
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wildfire393 » 4 years ago

Ashnod and Tawnos are two big ones.

There's a whole pile of old Planeswalkers that never got cards: Leshrac, Tevesh Szat, Taysir, Bo Levar, Commodore Guff, etc.

There's a number of old characters who have gotten woefully inadequate cards as well: Gerard is primary among them, but there's also Volrath.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

wildfire393 wrote:
4 years ago
Ashnod and Tawnos are two big ones.

There's a whole pile of old Planeswalkers that never got cards: Leshrac, Tevesh Szat, Taysir, Bo Levar, Commodore Guff, etc.

There's a number of old characters who have gotten woefully inadequate cards as well: Gerard is primary among them, but there's also Volrath.
Tawnos, Urza's Apprentice did get a card. I know because it works well with Mirror of Fate
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Chromasticore

Post by Chromasticore » 4 years ago

Anyone down for a Baron Sengir deck? Magic needs more +2,+2 counters

Vessiliana
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Vessiliana » 4 years ago

Well, having gotten Serra already (though I will hate Nahiri forever for not being Serra back in 2014), I think there are not that many left I want.

The WB Innistrad sister for sure, and Anje Falkenrath and Runo Stromkirk.

Tevesh Szat and Leshrac would be great.

And redux of Barrin, Gerrard, and Baron Sengir.

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Bo Levar and Commodore Guff. Pre-spark or PW, either way is fine, I like them a lot.

Slightly off topic: I wonder if commander precons would one day be "team" based. For example, a deck dedicates to Weatherlight crew, maximizing all of their power, or a deck dedicates to Nine Titans super friend based deck, Ugin/Sorin/Nahiri trio, etc.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Also, Tsabo Tavoc should get a remake in the spirit of EDH, even though the flavor on the original card is there.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 4 years ago

Also, Tsabo Tavoc should get a remake in the spirit of EDH, even though the flavor on the original card is there.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

I like the current Tsabo Tavoc card. She's in one of my decks, even.
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

The_Greasy_Strangler
Bullsh*t Artist

Post by The_Greasy_Strangler » 4 years ago

I would love the see an updated Volrath, Orim and Gerrard. Good thing Maro talked about doing them in the future.

Also Gix, Tocasia and Belbe.
Tell you a secret: I am the Greasy Strangler

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 4 years ago

If WotC wants to put Gaea on a card, I'd almost be against it for the fear of it either being too good it's banned or not good enough.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

TIL from this thread there was a fourth sister on Innistrad!!!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
It was mentioned briefly in passing by Sigarda in a story at the start of Shadows over Innistrad, before it becomes apparent that Avacyn is batsh*t crazy. You could very easily miss it. From memory I think she was killed by Avacyn, but I could be wrong.

The assumption being made is that she'd be a WB angel, which would be cool, since we haven't had an Orzhov legendary angel since Selenia, Dark Angel and she's a little dated.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

She's an unnamed angel, Orzhov colors, who consorted with demons, believing that it was the right approach for the benefit of humanity I suppose. Avacyn declared her a heretic, single-handedly slew her and her entire flight of angels and forbade her name.

I think my new Arixmethes-like quest will be getting Thanasis and Pavios either on Legendary card(s) or a Saga for their story. Yes, I have a Theros obsession.

Sinis

toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
It was mentioned briefly in passing by Sigarda in a story at the start of Shadows over Innistrad, before it becomes apparent that Avacyn is batsh*t crazy. You could very easily miss it. From memory I think she was killed by Avacyn, but I could be wrong.

The assumption being made is that she'd be a WB angel, which would be cool, since we haven't had an Orzhov legendary angel since Selenia, Dark Angel and she's a little dated.
I read that yesterday, thanks to this thread. She and her flight were killed by Avacyn, after forming an alliance with a demon lord. Apparently she was always a bit wayward, which definitely appeals!

I don't generally read the fiction; it's not usually to my taste, and most of the planeswalkers as 'characters' aren't especially appealing to me. I have really liked a lot of the planes/settings they've built, and Innistrad - both times - has been my favourite by far. I sometimes read the planeswalkers guide to articles.

I think, most of my nostalgia for old characters comes from flavour text. When I came back to the game in 2009, I was thrilled to bits that when I discovered they had printed Jaya as a legend. When she was hinted at in Origins (on Pyromancer's Goggles) and appeared again in Dominaria, I did my best to find a foil date-stamped copy of the new Jaya to commemorate it. I've been trying to find a pack foil of the Time Spiral Jaya, and been considering the Mythic Edition one as well.

... I'm a bit of a Jaya fan, I suppose.

Couver

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

Having gotten into Magic during Homelands *gasp*. I would love to see new versions of Autumn Willow and Baron Sengir.

Also now that we have Serra as a PW either a PW or legendary of Feroz would be nice.

And I hope we get a flip Ugin at some point so he can be used as a commander.

Sinis

Couver wrote:
4 years ago
And I hope we get a flip Ugin at some point so he can be used as a commander.
Or with the "Ugin maybe your commander" text (the same as Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath has).

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
I think, most of my nostalgia for old characters comes from flavour text. When I came back to the game in 2009, I was thrilled to bits that when I discovered they had printed Jaya as a legend. When she was hinted at in Origins (on Pyromancer's Goggles) and appeared again in Dominaria, I did my best to find a foil date-stamped copy of the new Jaya to commemorate it. I've been trying to find a pack foil of the Time Spiral Jaya, and been considering the Mythic Edition one as well.

... I'm a bit of a Jaya fan, I suppose.
I feel that. I'm not big on the date stamped promos, but I have every printed version of Jaya in foil at this point, including ME and WAR alt art. None of the other characters have clicked quite as much aside from maybe Serra. I'd still like seeing some of the old flavor text names show up on actual cards.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Sinis

SocorroTortoise wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not big on the date stamped promos, but I have every printed version of Jaya in foil at this point
Colour me unsurprised about having every printed version of Jaya!

I used to dislike date-stamped foils, but, they've really grown on me. I have played in a lot of prereleases, and I've had a lot of fun and excitement out of them over the years. At this point in my collecting/playing career, having the date stamps kind of helps me remember what order things happened in, or how long ago they really were.

It's like having a history of magic in your decks. Some of them, I really treasure. I have a datestamped Dreamstealer from the Hour of Devastation prerelease; I was about a year out of a divorce and had lost a lot of friends, but made some new ones at a midnight event I wasn't even going to go to. I went undefeated, but I don't even remember what I opened in the packs in my prize pool.

Atraxian

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

We got Serra (the one on top of my list), she is flavourful, even if not that great, admittedly (especially now that they instroduced PW with static abilities), but hey, at least the art is great, even if a little generic and different from her depictions in cards from the Urza's saga.

What's left on the list for me are:
- The Fourth Sister of the Innistrad archangels.
- Asha, from Bant.
- Atraxa before being compleated, may be?

Then probably some reworked and modernized old angels like:
- A new Radiant
- A new Selenia
- A new Gabriel Angelfire

I really expected more reworked old legends in Modern Horizons.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Couver

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago

- A new Gabriel Angelfire

Yes! I actually thought they might do a new version when Dominaria came out. But I think Magic's stance on angel makes that impossible. The only male angels are the corrupted Amonkhet ones and ones from unofficial timelines.

I suppose they could make him a human like Kaalia.

freelunch

Post by freelunch » 4 years ago

I'd like to see the rest of the Nine Titans, Commodore Guff included!

I'd also like to see a year where the only commanders are Taysir. I think it would make for a great set of mono-colored decks.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Honestly of all old legends I think we need a new Radiant, Archangel very little. I still like her a lot.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”