Basic Lands for Commander Decks - Mountains

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

Honestly I don't know if this deserves its own thread or not... but I didn't know where else to put it.

Basically one of my long-term goals is to get enough copies of my mono-red/brown cards that I use in multiple mono-red decks so that I don't have to keep breaking them apart every time I want to play a different commander. I also want to I also want to get enough mountains for each deck so that each deck has an unique mountain art. Right now I have two sets of 25 mountains that I use.

The Dominaria mountain (which is my favorite basic land art) is currently in my mono-red modern Sarkhan's Madness deck. My Etali, Primal Chaos use the Ravnica Allegiance mountains, but that is mostly because the Ravnica Allegiance mountain was the only one I had enough lying around to have all the same mountains.

To that end, I am interested if anyone has any suggestions on what mountains I should get? I guess I should add I prefer landscapes over structures.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I use revised basics for everything except Ephara (who uses Nyx foils) - and when I have snow stuff. This one is my favorite mountain.
image.png

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

If i were to start over, i'd choose Global Series Basics for all my mono decks (except , since there are none). They are unique, gorgeous, fairly cheap and a truly rare sight.

Here are 5 additional ones i like a lot:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

I use OG Ice Age snow-covered most of the time, but, if I were to really choose non-snow mountains, it would be tempest ones

ImageImage
ImageImage

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

Favourite budget mountain of all time, I just adore the shade of red in the sky. I use them for my oldest and favourite deck which is mono-red.

Some of the other portal mountains are sick too, if you are ok with white border;

For less budget, the European or Asian land program lands are pretty sick. Some of the other basics look nicer than the mountains, but I do like them still;

I love the old art lands when the deck is predominantly red, but they stand out in a bad way when you are running shocks and stuff alongside. I'd second the global series as the nicest looking black border mountains to run in those decks. For other colours my go-to is lorwyn block, as those lands look fantastic, but sadly the red ones are pretty boring.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

My favorite and the one I use in my Jaya deck is Odyssey #345:

Mirage #343 is also great, as is Mirage #346:

For multicolored lists, I like Mont Blanc from the European land program(might be going too deep for getting 25 copies though):

If you want something with more of a fantasy vibe, Champions of Kamigawa has some good options. They also have a panorama if you want to run multiple (related) arts:

I'm a big fan of Veronique Meignaud for the more fantasy inspired lands, too. She's only got the one Mountain from Zendikar, but it's available in stunning regular art as well as boring full-art:
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

If you're not using these, you're not a real red deck.

...snow mountains are the only acceptable replacement, If you're in on the rest of the snow package. And you should be.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 3 years ago

I fix all my lands (not just Mountains) to the ones I feel fit thematically the most.

For Ryusei, the Falling Star|15844, I use the Kamigawa Panoramas to fit my Comamnder, because that deck was built solely because the card was technically my first MTG card (I started playing during Champions prerelease).

6 of each land, with excess copies being #301 mainly because that's the only one i manged to get extra foils of (they're all foils, which was hard enough to find locally).

For Alesha, thematically I honored the deck after RWBY, which itself draws inspiration from fairy tales, so I used Eldraine lands.

For Animar, I themed my basics after ice (not snow), so I used the Temur Lands

Horde of Notions was land-animation deck, so I splurged for the BFZ full-arts

I didn't favor the entire line of any artist in the set, so I deliberately chose the ones I liked the most from each artist so I had one of each. One was a original Zendikar reprint (with different artists), so that one was decided last by elimination, which ended up being the Swamp.

Sure blinging out the most expensive basics might be nice, but I like my themes in EDH more than that, as far as I'm concerned as long as it's foiled, it's blinged and foiled cards that fit the theme are more bling than any plain ol' expensive/scarce piece of power/cardboard.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I don't have any repeating art for the basics in my decks. I like the variety of having different ones. I've had a couple instances where people get legitimately tilted because of it. The only deck I don't do that in is Yarok because it uses a mix of snow and regular basics, so I use Modern Horizons snow and BFZ basics.

BUT...that doesn't mean I don't have my favorites:

Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Mostly it doesn't matter overly to me. But, for the decks that have stood the test of time and hold a place in my heart, I go for lands that originate from the plane of the commander. The one exception to that is Varina, Lich Queen because there's no stated plane for her. Everything else though:
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

It would appear we've drifted towards general basics chatter. I can get behind that :P

I think basics had their golden age between MMQ and ONS. The combination of the old border with the simple symbol design does it for me. I've got a set of lovely ODY options in my draft box. However, this doesn't fully translate to my EDH decks because reasons.
  • Daxos and Eutropia are both rocking the THB full arts. It kinda makes sense, as they're both from Theros and both very enchantment focused, and the full arts are supposed to be some nondescript enchantment manifestations in Nyx or something. Daxos in particular went through a few different sets of basics on his way to these, but the way the full arts gel with the spirit token aesthetics just... clicked.
  • Feather is the lone one that actually has golden age basics at this point. There's something about the way this MMQ pair is lit that tickles my fancy, I think I see some of that colour warmth in Feather herself too.
  • Patron is sporting the original ice age snow forests. I decided I like the old border more than I dislike the full tap text :P
  • Ghired is currently jamming some haphazardly chosen RAV basics, but that's likely to change. I could go for some golden age lands, as I like their aesthetics and don't have many decks with them somehow. I could go for some WAR basics, to match the time and location where Ghired went off to do Ghired things. Not sure yet.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

NoNeedToBragoBoutIt wrote:
3 years ago
If i were to start over, i'd choose Global Series Basics for all my mono decks (except , since there are none). They are unique, gorgeous, fairly cheap and a truly rare sight.

I like it, just not sure what deck I would use it in, as I really feel I would need a Kamigawa commander to truly take advantage of the feel, which then has to compete with the Kamigawa lands... Well it would probably work with Ryusei, the Falling Star if I ever get around to building it since the whole death trigger change. (I have the sweet prerelease foil version from way back in the day, so I've always wanted to build a deck using it.)
3 years ago
I really like this one. It would be perfect for when I rebuild my Lathliss, Dragon Queen deck.
3 years ago
I actually have quite a few foils of this one from the reward packs. I've been trying for a while to finish my collection of it for a while, mostly through trading, but I might have to break down and buy the final few copies, even though they are expensive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”