Second Annual MTGNexus Commander Climate Survey

Inkeyes22
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Inkeyes22 » 3 years ago

"pokken" wrote:
Question 24: Where is/was your primary place to play Commander (before COVID-19)?(1,139 responses)
Hide
At home or a friend's house - 445 votes, 39.1%
At my LGS - 543 votes, 47.7%
At another public location - 111 votes, 9.7%
Paper online with a webcam - 16 votes, 1.4%
Digital online with a client such as MTGO - 24 votes, 2.1%

I hope that everyone reads this one and takes it to heart when they mash "rule 0" as a solution to all problems. Playing at an LGS, some levels of rule 0 discussions are just too involved. It's why we need certain mid-powered bans that constrain the level of debauchery available (e.g. Primeval Titan).
Not excited about more possible bans... Of course this is still relatively small sample size of the most enfranchised players.*

*sorta

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Inkeyes22 wrote:
3 years ago
Not excited about more possible bans... Of course this is still relatively small sample size of the most enfranchised players.*
I think it's more that it helps people understand why stuff like Prophet of Kruphix and Paradox Engine need to stay banned. Half of players play at their LGS all the time and the high powered pubstompy stuff is banned for a reason - folks en masse can't restrain themselves when they're turned loose on people they don't know =P

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

the LGS thing was eye-opening but not as much as the full three-quarters of responses from the USA. three letter acronyms seem to rule EDH I guess

thanks for collating all this, it's helpful. Think I was one of the three people to click minimum power level? giggle

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

unban sharazad

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

I wonder what the split would be on Question 20: How well do you feel like your voice is heard by the RC and/or CAG?

1 (not at all or I do not attempt to communicate with them) - 233 votes, 20.7%
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

Thank you @cryogen for putting this together again.
Question 2...Note: list shortened to only include responses greater than 1%
You noted that question 2 was shortened, was that also done for Question 26? I could have sworn I answered Tribal, but it doesn't show in the results.
V/R

Treamayne

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Treamayne wrote:
3 years ago
Thank you @cryogen for putting this together again.
Question 2...Note: list shortened to only include responses greater than 1%
You noted that question 2 was shortened, was that also done for Question 26? I could have sworn I answered Tribal, but it doesn't show in the results.
Yes. That was another question which when it got below 1% the pie chart was a sliver and almost impossible to extrapolate. (I actually had to use math to calculate the three people who played at the 1-2 power level).
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

A few random comments for the moment,

1. Interesting to note the survey last year had approx. 10x the responses. Do you think this is a reflection on anything in particular, or was the survey not as widely promoted as last year?
2. A large drop in the frequency of ban requests for the most requested cards: Cyclonic Rift, Mana Crypt and Sol Ring were 26%, 26% and 23% last year but each dropped by approx. 10 percentage points this year. Worth noting that "No Bans" was an option this year, but not last year.
3. Pretty happy to see a large majority (5 in 6) in favour of keeping commander damage as it is or buffing it.
4. Re Q24 (primary place to play), I'm probably in a very small minority where LGS is my answer, but I play there with a regular group and so we can Rule 0 easily if we feel like it. We're spread over the city and the LGS provides a covenient middle-ground for catching up.

Also, I reordered the unbans by descending frequency (like the bans) since I find it easier to read that way, in case anyone else wants it too.
Unbans in descending order
Show
Hide
Coalition Victory - 407 votes 36.70%
Paradox Engine - 314 votes 28.30%
Braids, Cabal Minion - 290 votes 26.20%
Iona, Shield of Emeria - 265 votes 23.90%
Biorhythm - 252 votes 22.70%
Gifts Ungiven - 249 votes 22.50%
Primeval Titan - 225 votes 20.30%
Recurring Nightmare - 205 votes 18.50%
Lutri, the Spellchaser - 197 votes 17.80%
Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary - 194 votes 17.50%
Prophet of Kruphix - 186 votes 16.80%
Do not unban any cards - 170 votes 15.30%
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn - 170 votes 15.30%
Sundering Titan - 167 votes 15.10%
Worldfire - 159 votes 14.40%
Sylvan Primordial - 158 votes 14.30%
Griselbrand - 140 votes 12.60%
Panoptic Mirror - 131 votes 11.80%
Leovold, Emmisary of Trest - 119 votes 10.70%
Balance - 118 votes 10.60%
Tolarian Academy - 106 votes 9.60%
Sway of the Stars - 102 votes 9.20%
Yawgmoth's Bargain - 96 votes 8.70%
Tinker - 89 votes 80%
Library of Alexandria - 84 votes 7.60%
Upheaval - 79 votes 7.10%
Erayo, Soratami Ascendant - 76 votes 6.90%
Karakas - 61 votes 5.50%
Flash - 59 votes 5.30%
Limited Resources - 59 votes 5.30%
Trade Secrets - 58 votes 5.20%
Fastbond - 47 votes 4.20%
Mox Pearl - 34 votes 3.10%
Falling Star - 33 votes 30%
Mox Ruby - 31 votes 2.80%
Mox Sapphire - 31 votes 2.80%
Mox Jet - 30 votes 2.70%
Ancestral Recall - 29 votes 2.60%
Mox Emerald - 29 votes 2.60%
Shahrazad - 27 votes 2.40%
Channel - 25 votes 2.30%
Chaos Orb - 23 votes 2.10%
Black Lotus - 21 votes 1.90%
Time Walk - 18 votes 1.80%
Time Vault - 17 votes 1.50%
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Last year I did the poll immediately after Paradox Engine getting banned, and Flash yet again not being banned, and people were.... passionate. The link to the survey also got shared on the cEDH subreddit, which further generated interest. This year I posted only on the /EDH Reddit (in addition to other places), and I waited until in between announcements so that feelings regarding an announcement didn't skew results. And quite frankly, the list is in a good spot for the most part now, so there isn't as much drive to have your voice heard through a survey.

Something worth noting as the date is examined is that the larger proportion of people who took the survey identified as primarily 7+ power level so the results are skewed in that direction.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 3 years ago

This is good work and worthwhile stuff.

If you were one of the fewer than 9% who said you were in some fashion dissatisified with the CAG, I'm interested in hearing why. If you don't want to bring it up publicly, please feel free to PM me here or on the various social media.

NebulaMink
Pronoun: she / her

Post by NebulaMink » 3 years ago

While I didn't do the survey as I wasn't aware of it (but would absolutely fill it out given the chance), I personally feel that consolidating Commander damage would be a wise choice. I also believe Gifts Ungiven and Rofellos should be unbanned, as Rofellos has been mostly supplanted by Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, whereas Gifts offers a unique and useful effect that only a Reserved List card comes close to matching (though I am aware that decks like Muldrotha would be improved significantly by its unbanning).

Everything else I'm fine with as is, or approved of any changes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”