Best monored commanders

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

I'd deny Heartless Hidetsugu - we have one in our playgroup. The deck is very much a one-trick pony:

- You never manage to get a combo together and are just playing a slow, clunky deck that does nothing.
- You never find a doubler, and Heartless does a billion damage before the game ends early in a violent, bloody melee.
- You do get the combo together but fail to find a way to manipulate your own life, so it's a draw.
- It all comes together and you turn 5 or 6 wombo-combo the entire table.

In most of these, you lose, but even in the one you win the pilot rarely seems to have any fun. They haven't pulled the deck back out in ages.

brainface
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by brainface » 3 years ago

Hrm... I always liked playing Heartless, but I was much more burn-heavy, with "the combo" being a backup threat. The main deal was tapping once or thrice and then suddenly fireblast once shots a player. And blood hound!

I ran slobad, goblin tinkerer for a while, though that was a more of a mono-brown deck. Turning some dumb cards like ichor wellspring into high value plays was fun, but at some point it dissolved into massive-artifact-synergy combo.

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I'm gonna shout out for Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded. It does what it says on the tin, which is basically Sneak Attack, but it's a remarkably versatile ability to build around. Your stuff has haste too so you could make it an activated ability jam, hit the combat red zone, ETB trigger tribal for control, or a goodstuff vibe. I really enjoy playing my build.

It does need a lot of draw built into it, as your grip needs to stay as full as it can, but there's plenty of that in red, so it's fine.

I've never built it, but I've seen Norin the Wary in action, and that gets....baffling. If chaos and your opponents tearing their hair out is your jam, get on that.

I can also mirror the experiences of previous Krenko, Mob Boss assessments. It does what it does very well, but once you're sick of that, you're taking the deck apart, because it really just does one thing. Mine lasted one game that I won with impunity. Immediately afterwards, I thought, 'well that box got ticked. Guess I'm pulling it apart'. And that was that; variety is the spice of life.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”