June 1 2020 rules changes

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Inkeyes22 wrote:
3 years ago
Makes me sad that I opened a few companions. I will likely by zero boosters now, as I only wanted a few specific things but it is fun to crack a pack on occasion. The companions went from quirky to terrible pretty quick.
I wanted to buy a box or some boosters....but with 2 singles I had every card I wanted from the set. Realistically the set isn't that good. I've seen very few people picking up packs or boxes, and mostly its to get triomes. I really do expect the value of Ikoria to tank. There aren't many powerful cards, especially now that companion has been neutered. Maybe down the road some cards may pop up, but I think realistically most of the cards will remain or drop lower.

Tags:

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
But the whole point of the change is to bring the power level of the mechanic "companion" into line with the rest of the game. It slows the game down, and if the data so far is anything to go by, this will cause the reliability to go down, as it makes it more of a gameplay choice to bring the card to your hand VS straight casting it.
I understand other formats needed something to happen. I get that. I just wish it was bannings with a "my bad" from wizards instead of this weird rules change that isn't reflected on the cards' text.

Second, it's fine to frame it as a gameplay choice to pay 3 to put a Companion in your hand, but, the point I'd like to make is this: That sucks, and I'd definitely rather do something else to develop my board.

Paying 3 in the early game to put a card in my hand isn't what I want to do, and I would venture no one else wants to do that, either. If I'm playing Keruga, the Macrosage as a companion, I don't want to pay 3 to put it in my hand with no impact on the board. I want to play Omen of the Hunt because I want my Keruga's ETB to matter and I just spent the last two turns probably doing nothing because of Keruga's Companion restriction.

I can't really explain it any more than that. It's a negative change. It makes them so, so, so awful, unless you built a deck that just happened to conform to the companion's restrictions.
The only companion I am even playing is Zirda, the Dawnwaker in Kenrith, and its part of the 99 not as a companion.
So, what you're trying to tell me is that it wasn't good enough to play as a companion, and now that there's a 3 mana tax on it, it's somehow better? If you didn't find the Companions as printed good enough to play using their mechanic, of course you're going to be unbothered by a change to that mechanic.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Three generic mana, is about the price of a Wish spell, so it makes sense. I'd think with this additional cost Lutri could be unbanned.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

It is definitely hot garbage now from my perspective. But I'm thankful for that. It's close enough to removing the mechanic that I'm OK with it.
Cyberium wrote:
3 years ago
Three generic mana, is about the price of a Wish spell, so it makes sense. I'd think with this additional cost Lutri could be unbanned.
It runs into the same problem as before as I noted already. Lower power level but still an autoinclude. If it cost 800 mana it'd be an autoinclude, no opportunity cost.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I don't think there is another human being on planet earth that has brewed and thought about companions more than I have for commander specifically.

From a commander players perspective this sucks, as many of them are nerfed anyway given the formats structure.
But honestly I wasn't expecting to get years and years worth of entertainment out of them. They are the flavor of the month for me, and I got to experience them at the height of what they could do. Unfortunately this is not going to be the case for most.

But from an overall experience for Magic something had to give. I watch streams from all formats, and it had just become a case of who could deal with whose companion in a timely manner.

Zirda, the Dawnwaker // Kenrith, the Returned King - I specifically played in cEDH games, and this new rule now pushes it back a full turn to combo, which honestly isn't go to make it consistent enough, so I'll just have to play it in competitive but not top tier games.

Another element of commander, especially as they get more competitive is the Wheel draws, Wheel of Fortune, Windfall, Timetwister, etc, which makes this new rule much much more of a liability.
Its just one of those things that WotC would have taken zero consideration for the commander format in the decision making for it, but commander gets even more punished as a consequence.

Kaheera, the Orphanguard // Morophon, the Boundless - I mean Kaheera is purely for the memes anyway, so now its just an uncastable card restricting the construction of the deck. Here is a good example of how the new rule truly dooms a card as anything but for memes.

Jegantha, the Wellspring // Sisay, Weatherlight Captain is still pretty viable as often there is the window between casting Sisay (at 3 mana) and casting Jegantha (at 5 mana). Obviously still much worse, but a turn that can often be between casting them, could be used for getting it into your hand.

Obosh, the Preypiercer // Vial Smasher the Fierce // Kraum, Ludevic's Opus - Not going lie, I really feel the hit on this one. I find the opportunities to cast Obosh are very narrow, and so having to spend a turn getting it into your hand is really miserable and this deck was the perfect example of how a companion was really balanced and opponents even appreciated the work involved in designing around it.

Keruga, the Macrosage // Animar, Soul of Elements - For some reason I'm not too bothered with this, as my deck specifically is designed around amassing filthy amounts of mana anyway, and I like to get greedy with number of permanents, so I feel I can work around the additional 3 mana not too badly.

Umori, the Collector // Nethroi, Apex of Death - I mean Umori, the Collector wasn't the most impactful in the first place, but it was already hard finding the right window of opportunity casting it, and now its going to be really hard to find a moment to spend a solid turn off to set it up.

The problem is that companion in many ways was a Dead.On.Arrival mechanic for commander in the first place.
Yorion, Sky Nomad, Lurrus of the Dream-Den, Lutri, the Spellchaser all failing to even be played in commander.
I know technically you can play Lurrus of the Dream-Den, but Umori, the Collector is in the same boat that because commanders are part of the build design, they were massively restricted to where they could be used in the first place.

But I also got to explore the design space of companions and enjoy it more than probably any other person playing commander, so its hard for me to complain when I get to try something new.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I haven't gotten any games in since lockdown, but I was dreading playing against virtual 9 card openers, what with partners and now this balderdash.

I'm glad that Zirda exists now though. I feel I'll enjoy seeing it much more totally unattached to every other activated ability general under the sun and their respective mothers.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

I'm glad the pre-announcement let us know that Companion was going to mechanically change. I was going to start ordering cards for a VKO deck over the weekend but I held off because of the impending change, and I'm relieved I did.

The extra 3 is a large increase to the cost of Companions. I'm not 100% sure if it's enough to stop me building VKO, as my meta is somewhat slow, but paying 8 total mana for Obosh really is a huge investment; chances are that I would only cast Obosh if I had literally nothing else to do. I would consider that a massive fail state necessitating deck reconstruction, at which point, why bother with the Companion? (After all, that's the exact reason I disassembled my first ever commander deck).

Regardless, a change of this magnitude needed to happen to reign Companions in throughout the rest of Magic, so I'm glad it was done. I wonder what Storm rating the original incarnation of Companion would have gotten? Maybe the first ever 12?
Kefnet Voltron | Ayli Reanistocrats | Derevi Pod | Kodama//Ishai Blink | Jetmir Hatebears | Kess Storm | Smasher//Sakashima Control

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
I understand other formats needed something to happen. I get that. I just wish it was bannings with a "my bad" from wizards instead of this weird rules change that isn't reflected on the cards' text.

Second, it's fine to frame it as a gameplay choice to pay 3 to put a Companion in your hand, but, the point I'd like to make is this: That sucks, and I'd definitely rather do something else to develop my board.

Paying 3 in the early game to put a card in my hand isn't what I want to do, and I would venture no one else wants to do that, either. If I'm playing Keruga, the Macrosage as a companion, I don't want to pay 3 to put it in my hand with no impact on the board. I want to play Omen of the Hunt because I want my Keruga's ETB to matter and I just spent the last two turns probably doing nothing because of Keruga's Companion restriction.

I can't really explain it any more than that. It's a negative change. It makes them so, so, so awful, unless you built a deck that just happened to conform to the companion's restrictions.
Not surprising, the change is like the mechanic itself, not designed for the format.

The reason why unchanged companion is "balanced" in the game is because 100-card singleton essentially makes meeting the requirements for companion way more difficult by default. I intend to run both Zirda and Jegantha in my Horde of Notions lands deck because they are extremely useful (Jegantha is obvious, Zirda is because I use the dual manlands). Briefly considered the companion, but I can't Companion Jegantha if Zirda is in the deck and I refuse to drop Titania and Angry Omnath, so I can't meet Zirda's criteria. I'd lose out on too much flavor structure and fun for a 101st card... and that was when it was "free". I sure ain't considering it at all now.

I remembered seeing the EDHrec usage numbers and not surprisingly, #1 Companion by a large margin was the one with the least requirements needed - Kaheera for the tribal decks and even then I heard opinions/decisions some people made that their utility (non-tribal) creatures weren't worth the 101st. Now slap on the tax, I can see more people choosing to favor their utility creatures over a overpriced lord.

What essentially was a balance for other formats is essentially a mechanic-killer in the format whose natural structure already sort of "balanced" the mechanic in the first place...

...unless the "sideboard" mention was actually specifically worded to save it in EDH (meaning the tournament comprehensive rules overwrites "outside the game" with "sideboard", then the Comprehensive rules only "taxes" the companions if it was in the sideboard, but not outside the game, which means Companions can cast themselves from outside the game but can only tax-transfer itself from sideboards and since one is exclusive to tournaments and the other to casual...)

Sinis

Yatsufusa wrote:
3 years ago
...unless the "sideboard" mention was actually specifically worded to save it in EDH (meaning the tournament comprehensive rules overwrites "outside the game" with "sideboard", then the Comprehensive rules only "taxes" the companions if it was in the sideboard, but not outside the game, which means Companions can cast themselves from outside the game but can only tax-transfer itself from sideboards and since one is exclusive to tournaments and the other to casual...)
You very much summed up my feelings on it. It sucks, but there it is.

Sadly, the sideboard mention did not spare EDH. In case there was doubt, there's an official statement from the RC: https://mtgcommander.net/index.php/2020 ... on-change/

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

It's really frustrating that (1) competitive magic moves as quickly as it does, and (2) there have been literally zero opportunities to play commander in paper since the release of IKO. Also I really don't like the precedent this sets for functional erratta.

I'll probably ask the people I play with if they're ok with the printed ruling.

Small side note, but I think it's still kind of a dumb fix since it still leaves them as autoincludes for any deck that met their criteria by default, like a creatureless deck for Kaheera. If they'd done the "replaces a card" fix, at least we'd be able to unban Lutri, which would be at least one small benefit.

But mostly, as a limited and commander player, it's really annoying to see a cool mechanic that was totally fine in my formats get ruined by other formats (other formats which, no offense, suck). I wish they'd changed the rules for those formats specifically, or banned them in those formats.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
It runs into the same problem as before as I noted already. Lower power level but still an autoinclude. If it cost 800 mana it'd be an autoinclude, no opportunity cost.
I really dislike these exaggerations. The issue Lutri has right is that mechanically speaking, she is absolutely a free extra card. Add to this the cheap cmc, her abilities, and a decent body. She is actually a card that you would reasonably play in a deck, even if it were just as a 3/2 body with no spell to copy. This would drive demand to give her an expensive price tag.

However, these exaggerations that make her hot garbage and unplayable lessen that demand. Be honest, are you going to spend $10 for the exact same card that had a casting cost so high the only way you could achieve it were through an infinite mana combo? Even less exaggerated things I've seen thrown around like 20 mana. Or if it were a vanilla 0/1. Sure, you could run it as a free extra card, but are you really going to go chasing one down? If you don't have one would you feel that your deck is strictly worse for it?

It may be a cute thought exercise to try and determine just where the cut off is when there is that balance between arguable auto-include and just meh, but these hyperbolic examples are just pointless imo.
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Small side note, but I think it's still kind of a dumb fix since it still leaves them as autoincludes for any deck that met their criteria by default, like a creatureless deck for Kaheera.
It would need to be a planeswalker commander as well, as commanders are part of the starting deck.
Currently you'd only be able to do this with Estrid, the Masked.

UnNamed1

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
The only companion I am even playing is Zirda, the Dawnwaker in Kenrith, and its part of the 99 not as a companion.
So, what you're trying to tell me is that it wasn't good enough to play as a companion, and now that there's a 3 mana tax on it, it's somehow better? If you didn't find the Companions as printed good enough to play using their mechanic, of course you're going to be unbothered by a change to that mechanic.
I'm actually happy for the change. I thought the mechanic shouldn't be legal in commander in the first place, and now adding the restriction, I doubt I will ever see one at my tables. My opinion was that companion should have never been printed, so of course, they weren't ever going to be good enough to build around a mechanic that goes against the format. So I am glad these cards are better as the 99 vs as a "companion".

It was mentioned elsewhere talking about doing nothing for the first 3 turns because of only being able to play land (because companion restriction was cmc 3+) and realistically, that will only fly at a very low low level table. My lowest power deck can still sit against pretty much anything but true cEDH, simply as that is how I build. You talk about a cmc cost of 3+ for the entire deck, and I am trying to have my average cmc at or below 2.5. My lowest cmc is 1.6, so no, I don't want to build around something that forces me to play at a super low level.

DirkGently

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Small side note, but I think it's still kind of a dumb fix since it still leaves them as autoincludes for any deck that met their criteria by default, like a creatureless deck for Kaheera.
It would need to be a planeswalker commander as well, as commanders are part of the starting deck.
Currently you'd only be able to do this with Estrid, the Masked.
Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant in competitive (non-commander) formats. LSV talked about how his vintage deck, for example, runs kaheera even though it doesn't get any tribal bonuses, which is kind of a weird side effect of the mechanic.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

cryogen wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I really dislike these exaggerations. The issue Lutri has right is that mechanically speaking, she is absolutely a free extra card. Add to this the cheap cmc, her abilities, and a decent body. She is actually a card that you would reasonably play in a deck, even if it were just as a 3/2 body with no spell to copy. This would drive demand to give her an expensive price tag.

However, these exaggerations that make her hot garbage and unplayable lessen that demand. Be honest, are you going to spend $10 for the exact same card that had a casting cost so high the only way you could achieve it were through an infinite mana combo? Even less exaggerated things I've seen thrown around like 20 mana. Or if it were a vanilla 0/1. Sure, you could run it as a free extra card, but are you really going to go chasing one down? If you don't have one would you feel that your deck is strictly worse for it?

It may be a cute thought exercise to try and determine just where the cut off is when there is that balance between arguable auto-include and just meh, but these hyperbolic examples are just pointless imo.
I guess I disagree entirely. Philosophical thought exercises are useful for understanding the principles of a matter, and in this case it illustrates the principle that zero opportunity cost autoincludes are undesirable.

The actual practice doesn't matter much; if Lutri was a reserved list rare that cost $1800 it would still be lame in my opinion.
DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
f they'd done the "replaces a card" fix,
I don't love that one but at least it creates a real cost. I think I prefer "must draw one less with your opening hand" since it prevents sculpting, from a practical standpoint.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Personally, I really like this change. I feel that paying 3 is a much much stronger version than one that forces you to go down a card. Sure, you're not always going to want to pay for the companion, but then you just... don't have to. And if you ever hit a spot where you've got 3 spare mana, you can pay to pick it up, and it's a free card in hand. And that's where comparisons to 3 mana tutors fall down: those tutors take up a card in your hand. This is more like starting with a clue token in play.

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

Way preferred Davis' solution of effectively replacing a card in your hand. Simpler and more elegant, doesn't require adding a weird new unrespondable action to the game. But that affected constructed way more than EDH, for this format I dont think the 3 mana thing matters too much.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

UnNamed1

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Way preferred Davis' solution of effectively replacing a card in your hand. Simpler and more elegant, doesn't require adding a weird new unrespondable action to the game. But that affected constructed way more than EDH, for this format I dont think the 3 mana thing matters too much.
It's to easy to abuse discarding a card. Like Echo of Eons, I never want to hard cast it, I would much rather pay the 3 mana for a Timetwister effect. Plus it gives players an easy way to put a big body in the grave for a reanimate target. The replacement effect would cause issue. Paying mana to tutor (an outside card) for your companion is much more balanced than looting or free casting.

DirkGently

Lol, when has anyone ever advocated discarding a card? Everybody knows how reanimator works...

You'd presumably treat it like an auto-mulligan (where you draw 7 and then put a card on the bottom for your first hand). I guess it could be hashed out whether you draw 7 and replace, or just draw 6 to begin with, and whether your first mulligan puts you to 5 or if you get another 6, etc.

Either way to me it seems like the intent of the change was to erase companion entirely from competitive magic. 3 mana is a TON. Basically the only decks I think likely to use companion are the ones that got the companion for free. For example, my standard cycling deck will still play Lurrus since there's no perms with cmc>2 I have any reason to play. Of course they're a lot less likely to actually be cast. I doubt anyone will want to make actual sacrifices for their deck for a companion that costs 3 extra mana unless it's doing something completely insane (like zirda infinite mana combo, though that's already banned in legacy anyway). Yorion might still get played since it's a pretty easy sacrifice, although the rest of that deck got ripped to shreds so who knows.

I guess I'll just continue to stew in frustration. Ugh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Either way to me it seems like the intent of the change was to erase companion entirely from competitive magic. 3 mana is a TON.
Agreed, I think people are way underselling how bad that 3 mana payment is. That's life and death even in most EDH games for me.

I would never build a companion EDH deck with that restriction - much better off being able to play Exploration in Golos, for instance, than to play Zirda for 6.

I wish they would have just deleted it. Sorry this mechanic doesn't work because it was a dumb idea. But what they did functionally kills it [everywhere except uber casual EDH].

Sinis

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Agreed, I think people are way underselling how bad that 3 mana payment is.
Are you sure you don't want to cast Cultivate but get nothing? :laugh:

UnNamed1

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Either way to me it seems like the intent of the change was to erase companion entirely from competitive magic. 3 mana is a TON.
Agreed, I think people are way underselling how bad that 3 mana payment is. That's life and death even in most EDH games for me.
I wish they would have just deleted it. Sorry this mechanic doesn't work because it was a dumb idea. But what they did functionally kills it [everywhere except uber casual EDH].
Most of the time 1 mana is the difference between winning on the spot or waiting an extra turn, I could never imagine paying 3 mana without being able to shuffle my library as well.

I wish they would have deleted companion as well, but I'm also glad that it is functionally useless. I never liked the mechanic, and now I know that it is at a powerlevel that I will never see, and I'm thankful.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Maluko wrote:
3 years ago
What's more surprising is that there are two new cards banned in Standard. Seriously, how many cards have been banned in recent years now? From the likes of this article, we're now at 15 cards banned in standard in just the last 3.5 years. 15 cards! I feel terrible for everyone that has been investing in Standard in recent years. Are people still confident enough in Wizards to continue investing in competitive Magic after this? Seriously, what is Play Design even doing at this point? They were formed with the purpose to avoid the massive bannings mistake that occurred in Kaladesh. Are they under so much pressure they can't properly test the power levels of cards? Talking about doing a terrible job...
They have been sacrificing standard's health to force cards to the power level that people in modern, commander, legacy, and pioneer will have cards that affect their formats. Its a push towards sales over format health which has been a large red flag that many have been pointing out as not very healthy as an approach for a while now.

The real issue when it comes to standard is that the established decks are SOOOOOOOOOOOO much more powerful than usual that it becomes much more daunting to deckbuild something that isn't the established few decks of the meta. Its always an uphill battle to do so but when its in a format where Oko is legal for instance its just completely miserable.

Even with banning those two cards, there are a LOT of very concerning decks that aren't affected by these bans in standard that will opress the standard environment. They were forced to step in with these bans because the meta was at a point where you just couldn't play anything else is all.

As for companion, I think that this change is healthy for their other formats. I was starting to think that companions were too strict generally speaking to really see much use in this format and then with this new nerf in performance, I think we are going to see them incredibly rarely. I still am of the mindset that I would rather see companions and wishboards on the same page but this new change is more or less the nail in the coffin for companions.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

I do wanna say that I deeply appreciate the fact that there's simultaneous "This didn't do nearly enough to hurt companion" and "this is going to nerf companion out of competitive play-ability completely" takes going around. It goes to show how hard this stuff is to evaluate.

DirkGently

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
I do wanna say that I deeply appreciate the fact that there's simultaneous "This didn't do nearly enough to hurt companion" and "this is going to nerf companion out of competitive play-ability completely" takes going around. It goes to show how hard this stuff is to evaluate.
What colossal idiot thinks this didn't do *nearly* enough to hurt companion? And what could possibly satisfy them, would all companion cards need to be tracked down and put into a blender?
Please tone down the unnecessary name-calling. - cryo
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”