Double Masters Set

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Double Masters looks like the next reprint set for Magic. They have already confirmed no fetchlands and given us two preview cards, Blightsteel Colossus and Doubling Season.

So far this is what we know:
  • 332 Cards
  • 24 packs per box
  • 15 cards per pack w/ 2 rares and 2 foils
  • 2 non-foil showcase box toppers per box
  • release scheduled for August 7th

Are you guys excited? Because I am excited! I am curious if they will just do standard reprints or reprints in the style of the Mystery Boosters to maintain the card "value" of the original printing. Hopefully this set is jam packed with more value than Mystery Boosters but only time will tell! What are you hoping for in these reprints?
Last edited by UnNamed1 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I'm excited to sell some more cards before they get spoiled :P

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 3 years ago

Knowing that Commander Legends is coming out sometime later this year somewhat dissuades me from wanting to invest too much into Double Masters. There's a chance I'll buy a few singles, but like any masters set it'll be too expensive for me to justify getting too much.

UnNamed1

Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
Knowing that Commander Legends is coming out sometime later this year somewhat dissuades me from wanting to invest too much into Double Masters. There's a chance I'll buy a few singles, but like any masters set it'll be too expensive for me to justify getting too much.
I have a feeling Legends will either be an insane set that gets bought out really quickly or will sit and not do much. I feel like a lot of the power cards that are in multiple formats will be in the Masters sets more than the Legends. I'm just very leery on Wizards pushing a set for a format they don't run or have affiliation with, especially given how bad the pre-con sets are generally. Really it just comes down to what is in each set, luckily my LGS should have the boxes reasonably priced for both sets, since they didn't up their prices on the Mystery Boxes for locals.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 3 years ago

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
I have a feeling Legends will either be an insane set that gets bought out really quickly or will sit and not do much. I feel like a lot of the power cards that are in multiple formats will be in the Masters sets more than the Legends. I'm just very leery on Wizards pushing a set for a format they don't run or have affiliation with, especially given how bad the pre-con sets are generally. Really it just comes down to what is in each set, luckily my LGS should have the boxes reasonably priced for both sets, since they didn't up their prices on the Mystery Boxes for locals.
So Legends will either be popular or not. I guess I agree with that.

I disagree that the pre-con sets, by which I presume you mean the commander decks, are bad. I really have enjoyed them and thought they were good, and that's especially so this year - jam packed with quality uncommons and staples, powerful new cards. The only thing I don't like are the mana bases, but for the MSRP, I think they're great.

And while Wizards doesn't "run or have affiliation with" commander, they're still a business that is out to make money, so I'm willing to bet that it will be full of good things that try to make us spend our money.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

I have mostly given up on these special art promo products. The price point is always unreasonable to do anything more than order a single or two from the product. Its fine, I just don't intend to really buy anything like this.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

UnNamed1

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I have mostly given up on these special art promo products. The price point is always unreasonable to do anything more than order a single or two from the product. Its fine, I just don't intend to really buy anything like this.
A lot of the special art stuff I don't even like. I would rather have an originally foil blightsteel than any version of the special art. This is mostly regarding the box itself. Hopefully this will make the entry price of some of the staples cheaper. Like Doubling Season was headed into the $70's and when I bought it months ago, I paid $35. Maybe some of the cards like Chrome Mox or Mox Opal will see reprints, that allow for some easier access to the fast mana.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

Makes me wonder where the fetches will be. Does this actually confirm them in Commander Legends?

- It'd be weird for them to be in Jump Start considering the purpose of the product.

- They've confirmed they are not in Zendikar Rising and repeatedly said that fetches in Standard and Pioneer are "problematic"; implying that they aren't going to surprise us with them in Magic 2021 either.

- And now we know they aren't in Double Masters despite this set being about "double the value".

They also said it would be "in your LGS", meaning that the Fetchlands are either in Commander Legends, OR they are in a product not yet announced for the Holidays (which is totally possible).

I for one hope they aren't in Commander Legends - I want more fetches, I want them reaaaallll bad...but I actually want reprints of the Spire Garden cycle (paired with first printing of enemy-colored Battlebond lands) even more, and had sort of started expecting them.

-----
As for the set - whatevs. I bought a box of the first MM (or rather, it was bought for me for my Bachelor party draft night), and since then just buy the occasional odd booster for fun. The sets are too expensive and my group doesn't do enough limited to justify buying them to just crack packs and play the lottery, and they are absolutely the most lottery-intensive sets.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
Makes me wonder where the fetches will be. Does this actually confirm them in Commander Legends?

- It'd be weird for them to be in Jump Start considering the purpose of the product.

- They've confirmed they are not in Zendikar Rising and repeatedly said that fetches in Standard and Pioneer are "problematic"; implying that they aren't going to surprise us with them in Magic 2021 either.

- And now we know they aren't in Double Masters despite this set being about "double the value".

They also said it would be "in your LGS", meaning that the Fetchlands are either in Commander Legends, OR they are in a product not yet announced for the Holidays (which is totally possible).

I for one hope they aren't in Commander Legends - I want more fetches, I want them reaaaallll bad...but I actually want reprints of the Spire Garden cycle (paired with first printing of enemy-colored Battlebond lands) even more, and had sort of started expecting them.

-----
As for the set - whatevs. I bought a box of the first MM (or rather, it was bought for me for my Bachelor party draft night), and since then just buy the occasional odd booster for fun. The sets are too expensive and my group doesn't do enough limited to justify buying them to just crack packs and play the lottery, and they are absolutely the most lottery-intensive sets.
If I had to bet, Commander Legends would be where I'd put my money, definitely. In addition to the stuff you've mentioned, I'd also point out that Commander Legends is a fairly experimental product, since this will be their first time trying to make Commander draftable. Often times, when they do experimental products, they like to pair it with something that's a surefire hit. Mark talks about it a lot, but it's how you end up with stuff like original Zendikar having full art lands and enemy fetchs, because they weren't certain they could promote "lands" as a mechanical theme. Original Conspiracy had a lot of high profile reprints for a similar reason. So I'm guessing they decided on Commander Legends, and then talked about "what high profile reprints can we put into this to ensure it sells enough even if it flops". And the easy answer to that question would be Enemy Fetches (I'm less confident we'll see the full cycle, because as of a year or two ago, most of the Khans fetches weren't very expensive, and they're still a lot less than the Zendikar ones).

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

The thing that makes me really doubt the fetches in Commander legends is that it seems like such a good place to print the rest of the battlebond land cycle. But who knows, they have been letting cycles go for a long time lately.

Wallycaine

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
The thing that makes me really doubt the fetches in Commander legends is that it seems like such a good place to print the rest of the battlebond land cycle. But who knows, they have been letting cycles go for a long time lately.
I think Battlebond did well enough they may be saving those for Battlebond 2. And I'd say that between the two of them, Fetches are the more guarenteed seller, where finishing the battlebond cycle could be set aside for a sequel they're more sure about.

Inkeyes22

Post by Inkeyes22 » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I think Battlebond did well enough they may be saving those for Battlebond 2. And I'd say that between the two of them, Fetches are the more guarenteed seller, where finishing the battlebond cycle could be set aside for a sequel they're more sure about.
I agree, while there are a lot of commander players and people that play commander on the side, adding something that Legacy/Vintage players would want would increase sales more than the BB cycle that only people that only play multiplayer would care about.

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Just to remind

The start of cards is incredible for the resurrection of master sets
All of those are $50+ and mana crypt is even more incredible reprint since we just got it in mystery booster which is a print on demand set

And online $6.99 a pack so maybe by miracle it stays put for paper as well but doubt it expect it to be 15.99 a pack but however it's not and it's not a LGS exclusive product so like iconic masters probably findable in

if4ko

Post by if4ko » 3 years ago

I'll probably just buy singles and draft. I have a Crypt and most of the stuff I want from there is cheap enough to where I can wait for a dip and buy then.

Ideally Imperial Seal gets a reprint, but I'm not expecting it. If not I'll probably just stick with that. Happy for the players that have it. My only real complaint is that the full-art Crypt looks better in brown.

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 3 years ago

Odds are I'll buy singles if something strikes my fancy, and the occasional 'support my LGS since I'm playing here today, see if I get lucky' booster. That's generally been my go-to with these sets.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

UnNamed1

Good morning everyone, the spoiler section has been updated with the cards spoiled since my last post. Just as a reminder those cards are Mana Crypt, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, and Kaalia of the Vast.

So far this looks like a good selection of cards. Hopefully we get more good stuff!

Segrus

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
I feel like a lot of the power cards that are in multiple formats will be in the Masters sets more than the Legends.
Which, in that case, like I said, this Masters will end up being too expensive to justify getting too much of.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Yep they did it again

Amazon pre-order price for 1 pack 16.99

A box is $300

Not too surprising unfortunately stick with singles people

Segrus

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Yep they did it again

A box is $300

If there really is a lot of chase rares and powerful cards in this set, I'm guessing we'll be seeing these sell for a lot more than $300.

UnNamed1

Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Yep they did it again

A box is $300

If there really is a lot of chase rares and powerful cards in this set, I'm guessing we'll be seeing these sell for a lot more than $300.
They aren't even continuing with spoilers until June I thought. I may have to call up my LGS and ask if they have any price set on these yet...

Segrus

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
They aren't even continuing with spoilers until June I thought. I may have to call up my LGS and ask if they have any price set on these yet...
Maybe there won't be spoilers until June, but it seems like some people think there's going to be more powerful cards in this than in other stuff coming out this year:
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
I feel like a lot of the power cards that are in multiple formats will be in the Masters sets more than the Legends.

UnNamed1

Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
Maybe there won't be spoilers until June, but it seems like some people think there's going to be more powerful cards in this than in other stuff coming out this year:
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
True, I am one of those people. But, these no longer have an MSRP, so I was expecting something similar like what happened with Mystery Boosters. Starts at the normal 100-110 and then adjusts according to market needs/wants. Like recently I saw they were up at $190 even though its been made clear there are more print runs coming for the set. Not to mention this next set of print run will be free for LGS's so any price they put on it is going directly into their pocket....which will be interesting how that shakes up consumers.

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 3 years ago

Enough of these supplementary products! We're already drowing in new cards, stop adding more on top of an incredibily big giant pile of stuff!!

Wallycaine

Magiqmaster wrote:
3 years ago
Enough of these supplementary products! We're already drowing in new cards, stop adding more on top of an incredibily big giant pile of stuff!!
...It's a masters set. There's literally 0 new cards in this.

Segrus

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
True, I am one of those people. But, these no longer have an MSRP, so I was expecting something similar like what happened with Mystery Boosters. Starts at the normal 100-110 and then adjusts according to market needs/wants. Like recently I saw they were up at $190 even though its been made clear there are more print runs coming for the set. Not to mention this next set of print run will be free for LGS's so any price they put on it is going directly into their pocket....which will be interesting how that shakes up consumers.
Masters sets have always started out at about $250-300. Despite no MSRP, that's not really going to change since there's history built up there. Plus, the Mystery Booster was a new type of release; they're too different to really compare. And they undoubtedly will go up in price from there if enough people keep speculating that there'll be all the best stuff in it--even more so since there's double of the speculated good stuff in every pack. When more spoilers come out, they'll have be fairly disappointing to make boxes drop significantly below $300.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”