Double Masters Set

Magiqmaster
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Magiqmaster » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Magiqmaster wrote:
3 years ago
Enough of these supplementary products! We're already drowing in new cards, stop adding more on top of an incredibily big giant pile of stuff!!
...It's a masters set. There's literally 0 new cards in this.
You know what I mean.... :)

Wallycaine
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

Magiqmaster wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Magiqmaster wrote:
3 years ago
Enough of these supplementary products! We're already drowing in new cards, stop adding more on top of an incredibily big giant pile of stuff!!
...No, I really don't.

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 3 years ago

If the rest of the set is as good as the cards they just previewed, the current price may be worth it. But we all know that's not going to be the case. We will be shown all the best and awesome cards first to excite players and let speculation run wild, and the commons and uncommons will mostly be useless chaff. Or, if not useless, certainly not worth the increased price.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
True, I am one of those people. But, these no longer have an MSRP, so I was expecting something similar like what happened with Mystery Boosters. Starts at the normal 100-110 and then adjusts according to market needs/wants. Like recently I saw they were up at $190 even though its been made clear there are more print runs coming for the set. Not to mention this next set of print run will be free for LGS's so any price they put on it is going directly into their pocket....which will be interesting how that shakes up consumers.
Masters sets have always started out at about $250-300. Despite no MSRP, that's not really going to change since there's history built up there. Plus, the Mystery Booster was a new type of release; they're too different to really compare. And they undoubtedly will go up in price from there if enough people keep speculating that there'll be all the best stuff in it--even more so since there's double of the speculated good stuff in every pack. When more spoilers come out, they'll have be fairly disappointing to make boxes drop significantly below $300.
I would hope top end would be $250 -$300. Yet TCG already has pre-sales at $400....

I'm still excited but may only get 1 box instead of multiple if the expense will be this great. Or I may just get a RL card, since I still need some of those too. Really just depends on what happens between now and then. Realistically when I first glanced over the Mystery booster list I was only interested in Mana Crypt and Demonic Tutor, while I pulled 3 copies of Crypt, I didn't get a single tutor. So far I like the reprints, dislike the box toppers. I do like that the cards that got bought out (or attempted to) like Blightsteel are already dropping in price again.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Segrus wrote:
3 years ago
UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
True, I am one of those people. But, these no longer have an MSRP, so I was expecting something similar like what happened with Mystery Boosters. Starts at the normal 100-110 and then adjusts according to market needs/wants. Like recently I saw they were up at $190 even though its been made clear there are more print runs coming for the set. Not to mention this next set of print run will be free for LGS's so any price they put on it is going directly into their pocket....which will be interesting how that shakes up consumers.
Masters sets have always started out at about $250-300. Despite no MSRP, that's not really going to change since there's history built up there. Plus, the Mystery Booster was a new type of release; they're too different to really compare. And they undoubtedly will go up in price from there if enough people keep speculating that there'll be all the best stuff in it--even more so since there's double of the speculated good stuff in every pack. When more spoilers come out, they'll have be fairly disappointing to make boxes drop significantly below $300.
Yes but except for one

The first modern masters price tag was only barely higher than a normal standard pack when it was first released

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 3 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Magiqmaster wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
...No, I really don't.
Well, I mean all the product that churns out of WotC's printing press, regardless if its new stuff or reprints such as this.

Wallycaine

Magiqmaster wrote:
3 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
Magiqmaster wrote:
3 years ago
...No, I really don't.
Well, I mean all the product that churns out of WotC's printing press, regardless if its new stuff or reprints such as this.
But those aren't making us drown in "new cards". Especially for reprint sets, if you don't like it you can just... ignore it? I haven't bought stuff from a Masters set in many years, but it's not a problem for me that they keep making them.

KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » 3 years ago

The problem I see with this many products coming out, is a spoiler-fatigue that I already had during 2019. But now, they really upped their game.
In summer, we will have 6 weeks of spoilers: Core 21, Jumpstart and then Double Masters. How am I supposed to keep up? I already feel left behind, because in comparion to six years ago, there are more than double the number of products coming out this year.
2014 we had 11 products in total. Less than 1 each month. This year, with all the Secret Lairs, even more Commander products etc., we have 23 products as of now already announced and some of them even released. And certainly there will be even more Secret Lairs to be announced in the next months and maybe more new products for Fall/Winter this year? Even if I'm being generous and count all the Secret Lair products as one and integrate the Commander Precons into the sets they are released with, we're still at 13 products. Again: As of now!
This Masters set is just the tip of the iceberg of the flood of spoilers and I don't like that we're sliding from one spoiler season into the next. It was already hard to keep up with the double spoilers for Ikoria/C20. And I fear that it won't get any better.
And sorry, but the sentence from the announcement sounds like they are mocking us:
This is, admittedly, a strange time to be announcing a new product, but even as we all deal with the realities of how COVID-19 is shaping the world, it's good to have something to look forward to. And we think Double Masters is going to be something to look forward to.
Like... we already have two products that we could look forward to in summer? Yet, they announce another one? After they said they would stop making Masters set for a while, 1 1/2 years ago? Nice move, WotC...

Yes, it's cool to get a reprint set, and I really like seeing Mana Crypt dropping in price already. But how many more products can they throw at us in a single year until the playerbase is too overwhelmed with new products?

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

Come ooooon original Partner commanders!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 3 years ago

Wizards: we know there's a pandemic going on and millions of people are out of work and are struggling to cover basic costs, but here's yet ANOTHER luxury set! Feel better everyone!

There is no reason that they couldn't slow the pace of releases/announce delays. I know they're a company and they have stockholders and employees, but this seems a little callous.

Edit - and before anyone chimes in with "well this was planned years ago" the same could be said for all of movie releases studios have delayed, put on hold or released to streaming services.

KitsuLeif

Looks like we got another leak...

EDIT: Removed the video and posted it in the correct thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25590
Last edited by KitsuLeif 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Wallycaine

KitsuLeif wrote:
3 years ago
Looks like we got another leak...
I believe this board has a policy that unofficial leaks belong in the unofficial leak section, and nowhere else.

KitsuLeif

Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
I believe this board has a policy that unofficial leaks belong in the unofficial leak section, and nowhere else.
Thanks for notifying me about that. That was something I didn't know until now. I posted the video there and and removed it here.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Generally speaking the best thing you can do with a product like this is don't touch it. Let it come out and wait 1-6 months and just keep an eye on what prices are on singles. Generally speaking 3-6 months later the prices tend to be fairly reasonable to pick up a few things.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Generally speaking the best thing you can do with a product like this is don't touch it. Let it come out and wait 1-6 months and just keep an eye on what prices are on singles. Generally speaking 3-6 months later the prices tend to be fairly reasonable to pick up a few things.
This. Wait a few months for prices to hit a relative low and pick up whatever you need. Scored Mana Crypt and Mana Drain this way.

Is the 15 dollars a pack a local guess or is there some evidence for it?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Wallycaine

Rumpy5897 wrote:
3 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
This. Wait a few months for prices to hit a relative low and pick up whatever you need. Scored Mana Crypt and Mana Drain this way.

Is the 15 dollars a pack a local guess or is there some evidence for it?
Preorder prices on amazon are looking like 16 dollars.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 3 years ago

Ah, okay. Thanks, went to check there. That said, a box with two toppers is currently going for 300 dollars, which is nominally less than the Ultimate Masters MSRP was. Still not great though.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
The mana crypt i got at 45 bucks after EMA agrees with this approach. :)

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

I just wish they'd put out more overpriced product from Chyna so I can't buy it all. Especially rariants that really aren't that good after you blink.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

I feel that a lot of people base their opinion about Magic products being "overpriced" on the basis of it being a paper product.
But then again, if they can successfully sell-out a product, how exactly is it overpriced?

People want their cards to be worth money and it's justified. However, people also want to spend little or even no money to acquire the cards which cannot be justified.

When you sell something on craigslist, do you only sell at bottom dollar? Do you lower your price just when someone wants clearly wants to buy and says that you're overpriced?

As for the product itself, I have mixed feelings. I want them to print some foil options for things previously not available in foil. But I no longer buy foils of new cards because the foiling process is inferior to old foils. So shrug?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

I don't really get the outrage when reprint products are expensive. At the end of the day, they're reprints - they aren't going to make prices any higher. If you want cards that appear in this set - great news, their price is going to go down. Ok, maybe you can't afford to buy a booster box, but if this product didn't exist you couldn't have bought a booster box either. So the set is, at worst, neutral. And besides, buying boosters (and not drafting them) is for chumps anyway.

On a personal level, I wish these sets didn't exist at all. Usually they mean that, for a week or two, my only option for drafting is to pay a bunch extra for a set full of reprints I don't need, when I'd rather draft the newest set for cards I don't already have.

I also find the whining about fetches to be really tedious. It's partly because I just don't have any interest in competitive constructed, but I find it kind of obnoxious that people can't just use a budget replacement. Looking at the top modern deck, it's running 4 arid mesas and 1 wooded foothills (and 2 mires), with zero non-mountain plains in the deck. What? It's zero difference to run the cheaper fetches, why are you running enemy fetches when you could run ally fetches?

I guess I just get nostalgic for the way I saw magic when I was a kid, where you only played the top-tier decks if you were a major tryhard and everyone else was just figuring things out as they went along. Nowadays, instead of the theoretical nigh-infinite variation that a TCG promises, it's more like a video game where you have some limited number of characters to choose from. And people are RAGING that they don't get to play the most cookie-cutter version of those characters. Everybody needs to be the best, or it's not worth trying. It's so lame. Competitive constructed can go die in a hole.

Boy that rant got off-topic.

I do agree that there's too many products coming out, but as far as I'm concerned reprint products use up about 1% of the brain power that a standard set release or commander precons do. I'll glance at the spoilers once they're done, go "hmm ok" and then go back to my day.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”