oh dear god tell me why this is a terrible idea.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Found Ruthless Regiment last night, $40 taxed out the door. So I bought it. Trynn & Silvar is the only commanders I really care about, naitch. So now I've got the plan to be (old face only, because nostalgia and unchanging), Rebel Yell. Yeah, the Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero deck but with two more colours.

Please tell me what I've done and why I hate myself enough to put myself through this. 😂

edit: Maybe I just lift the rebels clause and stick to old face only.

Cons: rebels are so niche their whole package is $12, meaning I'm giving up a low monetary investment and compact built-in strategy for something inevitably more expensive and typically less synergistic, more "good stuffy".

Pros: I get back to the original conception behind the deck and build a strong, but never really changing deck.

Cons: there's no real human strats in pre modern, and I don't get to play skullclamp or sunforger.

Pros: inevitably, the deck will have a higher power ceiling.
Last edited by 3drinks 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

I can only presume you're doing it because you hate yourself. It seems like an awful idea, because Rebels are by and large bad cards in EDH, especially if you're limiting yourself to pre mirrodin cards. I guess the one lucky aspect is that they're largely human, so Silvar can eat them, but... do you really hate yourself badly enough to run Ramosian Lieutenant and Ramosian Captain? You can't even run Zirda as a companion to at least bring those massive activated ability costs down.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Found Ruthless Regiment last night, $40 taxed out the door. So I bought it. Trynn & Silvar is the only commanders I really care about, naitch. So now I've got the plan to be (old face only, because nostalgia and unchanging), Rebel Yell. Yeah, the Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero deck but with two more colours.

Please tell me what I've done and why I hate myself enough to put myself through this. 😂
Wait, old face Rebels only and you think you're playing a terrible deck? You have access to black, man up and make an old faced mercenary deck you pansy.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

I think this is borderline unworkable as old-faced only. Rebels aren't total trash as a theme, but old face only loses all their best tricks:

- You lose the ability to tutor Mirror Entity as a game-ending threat.

- You can't tutor for as much "removal", since Bound in Silence is off the table, leaving you to hope that you can hit with Lightbringer and Lawbringer (or use Distorting Lens to turn them into nukes).

- You can't protec your stuff with Changeling Hero.

- You can still go find Task Force, but your janky three card infinite life combo will require you to raw-draw a sac outlet like Animal Boneyard or Worthy Cause as well as draw the "Kor" like Shaman en-Kor. With new face you can also tutor out Outrider en-Kor for great justice.

- You also lose Children of Korlis which is a shame as it's a super fun combo with stuff like Necropotence and Greed and it's a fun card to recur over and over and over again thanks to Lin.

I think your one out is a janky old casual deck I used to play: you can use Conspiracy to turn everything into a Rebel, and then use Lin to go find a variety of silver bullets and/or help cheat out massive threats like....ummmmm....Rorix Bladewing ???? I dunno man, this is a tough restriction to work with.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Rebels outside of Lin as the commander aren't very appealing. I did once go down the idea of Gaddock Teeg rebels but for the most part rebels don't carry their own weight outside of Linn as the commander. Gaddock was maybe going to be fine since he makes it hard to wrath you but I can't say that many other concepts have really seemed like they were going to work.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I haven't played my Zur and Rebels deck using Arcane Adaptation for quite some time, but actually it was pretty fun.

https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the ... ox-control

Mardu gives you access to lots of tutors for Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero, Vamp + Demonic + Diabolic Tutor, Imperial Recruiter, Gamble, plus more.
Plus you can have compact reanimations to get her back.

But if I'm being honest I don't really see any synergy between Trynn & Silvar and Rebels, so not sure what you find appealing?

3drinks

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago

Wait, old face Rebels only and you think you're playing a terrible deck? You have access to black, man up and make an old faced mercenary deck you pansy.
Mercs were the idea as well, but most of them are not human. And they're pretty bad, worse than rebels even which is a pretty low bar to clear.
Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
I think this is borderline unworkable as old-faced only. Rebels aren't total trash as a theme, but old face only loses all their best tricks:

- You can't tutor for as much "removal", since Bound in Silence is off the table, leaving you to hope that you can hit with Lightbringer and Lawbringer (or use Distorting Lens to turn them into nukes).

- You can still go find Task Force, but your janky three card infinite life combo will require you to raw-draw a sac outlet like Animal Boneyard or Worthy Cause as well as draw the "Kor" like Shaman en-Kor. With new face you can also tutor out Outrider en-Kor for great justice.

- You also lose Children of Korlis which is a shame as it's a super fun combo with stuff like Necropotence and Greed and it's a fun card to recur over and over and over again thanks to Lin.

I think your one out is a janky old casual deck I used to play: you can use Conspiracy to turn everything into a Rebel, and then use Lin to go find a variety of silver bullets and/or help cheat out massive threats like....ummmmm....Rorix Bladewing ???? I dunno man, this is a tough restriction to work with.
The other combo I get is cho-manno + pariah. And other pestilence effects. CoK is pretty legitimate and would help prevent me from just losing to my own effects though. Old face gets me Fervent Charge and I do like to attack. There's also Aggravated Assault and three brown border swords (one goes infinite), as well as Bob + crucible. Technically old face, leave my loopholes alone 😂😂
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Rebels outside of Lin as the commander aren't very appealing. I did once go down the idea of Gaddock Teeg rebels but for the most part rebels don't carry their own weight outside of Linn as the commander. Gaddock was maybe going to be fine since he makes it hard to wrath you but I can't say that many other concepts have really seemed like they were going to work.
The basic idea was to take advantage of the partners giving me a free shuffle on etb (obvious scroll rack synergies) and rebel yell popped up to further that.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Hawk wrote:
3 years ago

The other combo I get is cho-manno + pariah. And other pestilence effects. CoK is pretty legitimate and would help prevent me from just losing to my own effects though. Old face gets me Fervent Charge and I do like to attack. There's also Aggravated Assault and three brown border swords (one goes infinite), as well as Bob + crucible. Technically old face, leave my loopholes alone 😂😂
Lol cheating loopholes is fine. Pariah Cho is a great combo, but because you are in old card face only it's a one-shot deal. You can't use Boots to protect Cho further, and once he dies you are out a Pariah forever even if you do recycle Cho with Lin - it'd be better with Pariah's Shield instead.

You're gonna need that Charge when your best and most dangerous attacker is Cho-Arrim Bruiser :grin:

3drinks

Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Hawk wrote:
3 years ago

Lol cheating loopholes is fine. Pariah Cho is a great combo, but because you are in old card face only it's a one-shot deal. You can't use Boots to protect Cho further, and once he dies you are out a Pariah forever even if you do recycle Cho with Lin - it'd be better with Pariah's Shield instead.

You're gonna need that Charge when your best and most dangerous attacker is Cho-Arrim Bruiser :grin:
There's also Replenish, and I can Academy Rector for the Pariah. Relevant since Rectour is a human so Silvar can be fed. Auramancer and another functional print...iirc monk idealist to get it back if I want to lean in this heavy. This also provides some protection for pestilence, which Silvar himself keeps around.

Fervent Charge is also just good when you're creating as many tokens as the partner pair will create. That's a pretty nasty clock (we also have goblin trenches to help that along. Then there's that whole thing where this deck is the penultimate Banding deck. Yeah, that's right, I'm that guy. Throw Baton of Morale down there and Silvar is the best both offensive coordinator and defensive lineman! Banding is broken so many times over...once you explain to people how it's utilized.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
But if I'm being honest I don't really see any synergy between Trynn & Silvar and Rebels, so not sure what you find appealing?
It's a number of things, really;

1) Trynn & Silvar have a free shuffle built in to ETB, which is great for scroll rack and the rebels added shuffles.
2) Rebels are humans which add to the pairing's native synergies.
3) Rebels, by and large, like to attack. I like combat-centric decks, and the pairing like to attack too.
4) Having two commanders makes you much more resilient vs counter magic, and Rebels are natively resistant to counters too (no one is blowing mana drain, on Ramosian Sergeant, and all it takes is one to start the snowball).
5) I can finally build a Mardu centre'd aggro deck with small-ish creatures, and not have it turn into another of my one-thousand Alesha brews.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Maybe I just lift the rebels clause and stick to old face only.

Cons: rebels are so niche their whole package is $12, meaning I'm giving up a low monetary investment and compact built-in strategy for something inevitably more expensive and typically less synergistic, more "good stuffy".

Pros: I get back to the original conception behind the deck and build a strong, but never really changing deck.

Cons: there's no real human strats in pre modern, and I don't get to play skullclamp or sunforger.

Pros: inevitably, the deck will have a higher power ceiling.

Discuss?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Inkeyes22

Post by Inkeyes22 » 3 years ago

I just picked up the precon, and changed about 15ish cards, I think I am going with Alesha, Who Smiles at Death cause I can't seem to leave things dead. I had an Alesha deck a few years ago, but it didn't get played much (at the time I had 50ish decks). I partially built it to play against my sons, so I figured a precon with only the worst stuff ripped out would be able to compete with them without being too overbearing. I might change it up to be a "fun police" deck when we can finally go to a shop as my Shattergang Brothers just isn't fun to pilot.

random rant aside, I think the rebels could be a lot of fun. I personally enjoyed that T2 era. I played U skys more than rebels though. I highly recommend these types of builds as that is a major reason I enjoy EDH, being able to see different strategies shine. It is even better when it brings back memories of good times.

3drinks

I expanded from rebels to old face only. Rebels were just too constricting and forced for a pair of commanders that really don't add enough to the strat.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”