Temur mutate

ilovesaprolings
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

I was wondering about making a temur deck with 99% permanent and primal surge.
My friends had intensively played Animar and Maelstrom Wanderer. I have also faced Intet sometimes and she doesn't excite me a lot.
So i was thinking about Illuna, apex of wishes, giving the deck also a mutate focus.

Mutate is mainly in sultai, but can work with temur too. What are some cool temur mutate-synergies? (even better if they work with the permanent only theme)

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I do run a Temur deck with some mutate creatures; Sea-Dasher Octopus, Parcelbeast, Gemrazer, Migratory Greathorn, Auspicious Starrix, Illuna, Apex of Wishes.
But I have a companion pairing with Animar, Soul of Elements // Keruga, the Macrosage rather than running Illuna, Apex of Wishes at the helm.

There are more playable mutate creatures, but their cost to value starts waning pretty quickly in my opinion.

There has been a lot of theory-crafting around mutate in this thread Best targets for Mutate?, if you haven't already been following it.

I guess a cheesy ways I've thought of since looking at the Temur creatures, is ways to untap them so that you can get multiple uses out of Parcelbeast and Porcuparrot.
Horseshoe Crab, Leech Bonder, Morphling, Torchling feel like the best creatures for this.

I guess another thing is that 12/20 mutate creatures in Temur are "beasts" so Contested Cliffs and Krosan Warchief are cards you could run.

To summarize general interactions I feel are compelling is returning creatures to hand, so that you can recast for more mutates, as you are not guaranteed to have more and to save your mutated creatures from all dying due to a single removal spell.
Glitterfang, Skywing Aven, Thalakos Scout are good examples.

Persist and Undying also mean that if the big mutated creature goes to graveyard then they all return to play, but separately, so not my favorite.

If you want to go down a really unique (and janky probably) then you can make planeswalkers creatures via Sarkhan the Masterless and then mutate over the top of them so that you get the abilities, but now they are no longer be able to be attacked.
Also zero loyalty counter won't actually send it to the graveyard.

Another theme you could try is using manlands to mutate onto and this makes them immune to sorcery removal.
So the example is that you Inkmoth Nexus to put your mutate cards under and then you can cast your own spells like Blasphemous Act to avoid creature removal.
Also a lot of removal specifically state "nonland", so you avoid that as well, like Cyclonic Rift.
You can use your own spells like Devastation Tide to complete avoid your mutated stuff from getting removed

ilovesaprolings
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 years ago

Is porcuparrot good enough for EDH? seems a little weak to me

Mjmirobelli

Post by Mjmirobelli » 3 years ago

I had been seriously considering trying to build a man-land mutate focused deck in Sultai colors (with Otrimi, the Ever-Playful or Brokkos, Apex of Forever as the Commander) - but now you have me thinking about the possibility of Temur colors (with Illuna, Apex of Wishes as the Commander).

At a high level, I like the exchange of Black for Red because if I plan on Dredging with Life from the Loam to make use of Crucible of Worlds then also having access to Mizzix's Mastery and Past in Flames seems appealing.

I need to think about it a bit more though as Illuna, Apex of Wishes's Mutate trigger may be very non-synergistic with that strategy.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Mjmirobelli wrote:
3 years ago
I had been seriously considering trying to build a man-land mutate focused deck......
Intriguing! Because even after they turn back to land the mutates on top doesn't disappear eh? I'd love to see that idea come to fruition!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”