No lands

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 3 years ago

So I am wanting to build a deck that runs 0 lands. I know it is very possible to do so with 0 costing artifacts, but i want to take it a step further and make a deck that can actually win with no lands. (I am not saying it is gonna win a cEDH match, but casual play.)
I had a jhoira deck that would go of an win, but she still reuired 30 lands in th deck, and an aggressive mulligan to get her out by turn 2 or 3 and win on that turn, Turn 2 was most common, turn 1 happened quite a few time, turn 3 meant i was moving slowly, and turn 4, i was late.)

So yea I am turning to the community to see if it is possible to build an EDH deck with no lands, that works.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Honestly dude I have seen tons of people work on this and I don't think it is playable except as a meme.

Gashnaw

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Honestly dude I have seen tons of people work on this and I don't think it is playable except as a meme.
Damn, would be really interesting to pull off. Granted i think it would be colorless with only artifacts, but would still be cool.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

This seems really tough, but possibly doable. You'd need to start in at least Jund colors, me thinks.

The best things are Sol Ring, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal, and Mana Crypt - these cards should effectively be "lands" for you.

Next up but still very important are Elvish Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide, and Lotus Petal, as they allow you to "booststrap" your way towards mana rocks or dorks.

Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Dark Ritual, and Rite of Flame also "boostrap" your mana but require more initial investment.

Mox Amber, Lotus Bloom, and Lion's Eye Diamond are also possibilities but carry significant drawbacks.

From there there are any number of mana rocks and mana dorks you can add to get to 30ish mana sources. My concern is how wildly unreliable that is; you are vulnerable to removal also stone raining you and more or less have to build your deck towards some sort of infinite combo or Ad Nauseam nonsense. That's also only 11 cards that help you set up, which is not amazing odds in a 99 card deck.

Inkeyes22

Post by Inkeyes22 » 3 years ago

For the longest time I was trying to make Balustrade Spy work with maybe labman, but decided it would either have to win turn 1 or just lose. Either way not very fun to play with/against.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I built a 3 land deck, so that allowed more scope with land search cards like Land Grant for example.

Its possible, obviously inconsistant, but I did win games with it.

Gashnaw

Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
This seems really tough, but possibly doable. You'd need to start in at least Jund colors, me thinks.

The best things are Sol Ring, Chrome Mox, Mox Opal, and Mana Crypt - these cards should effectively be "lands" for you.

Next up but still very important are Elvish Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide, and Lotus Petal, as they allow you to "booststrap" your way towards mana rocks or dorks.

Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Dark Ritual, and Rite of Flame also "boostrap" your mana but require more initial investment.

Mox Amber, Lotus Bloom, and Lion's Eye Diamond are also possibilities but carry significant drawbacks.

From there there are any number of mana rocks and mana dorks you can add to get to 30ish mana sources. My concern is how wildly unreliable that is; you are vulnerable to removal also stone raining you and more or less have to build your deck towards some sort of infinite combo or Ad Nauseam nonsense. That's also only 11 cards that help you set up, which is not amazing odds in a 99 card deck.
Aside from LED i have all those rocks along with a few more.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

"Oops no lands" styled route:
Requires: Mana to cast (and possibly activate) one of the initial millers, plus .

Avenging Druid, Balustrade Spy, Undercity Informer, or Hermit Druid. Get and activate/trigger any of these four to put your entire library into your graveyard.

Put Blightsteel Colossus back into library. Narcomoeba returns, bringing back Prized Amalgam at EOT.
Next turn spend to cast Gravecrawler. Sacrifice all 3 for Dread Return to return Thassa's Oracle and win.

There's a couple alternatives to Gravecrawler, but I don't see a way to get a third critter for Dread Return without spending mana (I'd love to be shown wrong though, especially if there's a way to skip Amalgam too and cast Dread Return immediately)

Charbelcher
Requires: 4 mana to cast, then 3 to activate each turn.

Goblin Charbelcher + Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

Search and get Charbelcher. Activate to kill a player. Shuffle back up to do it again next turn.
No color requirements, so it loves artifact mana and it's open to any colors. It really needs search, though, so Black, Blue and/or White are probably needed.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Definitely a meme deck, but I've seen a landless deck in action before. All the free / cheap mana, plus free cyclers like Street Wraith and Gitaxian Probe and free spells like Force of Will. Also lots of cheap mana dorks to bootstrap a one-shot effect like Lotus Petal into repeatable mana production. Goal of the deck was to mill itself out with Balustrade Spy and win with Laboratory Maniac, although I imagine Thassa's Oracle is better these days.

One recommendation the deck's owner had was to use partner commanders - I believe they had Silas Renn, Seeker Adept and Tana, the Bloodsower. Silas has the marginal upside of recasting mana rocks, but the real upside is accessing a deeper card pool. My impressions from playing against it were that it was extremely vulnerable to hate, as one may expect. Also needed to mulligan a lot for mana sources, although I suppose the London mulligan helps.

Gashnaw

damn and here I was hoping i could pull it off without just being an "oops i win" deck.

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

Play the new temur partners? Once you get to them, they provide lands from opponents decks.

Any other way to steal lands rather than play them yourself?

I think if your deck is landless then you've kind of earned the right to play stuff like charbelcher combo lol
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Gashnaw wrote:
3 years ago
damn and here I was hoping i could pull it off without just being an "oops i win" deck.
With a landless deck, you empty your hand right away and try to play one of your win conditions. I don't see you mulliganing until you get a Mana crypt, cast a 2 cmc rock, and then just start playing a bunch of regular cards....

If you really want to go that route, maybe landless Sram can be a thing. Or Urza.
I feel like you need a lot of card draw to keep going through all your 0 cmc mana rocks, or you need a mana sink.

Maybe you can do a landless Radha, Heir to Keld ? You aggressively mulligan into being able to cast your general, who in turn helps you cast the rest of your deck..
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

It it landless or manaless that you want? For my money, manaless is way more interesting, but idk that the support is available to pull it off. Even with the new mulligan, going hell-or-high-water for a Bazaar of Baghdad is pretty dicey, and discard+dredge is pretty slow if you don't hit a dredge in your starting 7.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Gwathnar

Post by Gwathnar » 3 years ago

I saw a manaless Dredge list on Reddit a while back. I had the list on my computer but have since deleted it.

Gashnaw

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
Play the new temur partners? Once you get to them, they provide lands from opponents decks.
But you have to get them out and that is already 8 mana with 3 colors needed during the cast of both.

Mimicvat wrote:
3 years ago
I think if your deck is landless then you've kind of earned the right to play stuff like charbelcher combo lol
That's true, Pull it off with 0 lands, you may as well be allowed to win with a combo like that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”