Looking for a new commander

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

Hope all is well with everyone. I am looking to build a new commander. Something medium power. Not strong/fast but is refined and does it's goal well, even if it takes a few more turns to get there.

I currently have 5 Commander decks, TnT Mid-Range, Urza artifacts, Elsha of the Infinite, Thassa the ETB Goddess, and Vaevictis-Dragon Tribal.

Please tell me your favorite commanders, why they are your favorite and the goal behind your deck! I would love to hear from you.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

You're kinda missing something land themed. My Maelstrom Wanderer / Omnath Locus of the Roil is my favorite landfall deck ever. It's explosive and doesn't interact on the traditional axis from a removal perspective - lots of tempo stuff like Cryptic Command and Blatant Thievery and even Trygon Predator but not a lot of traditional removal. People usually enjoy playing against it right up until it goes berserk and kills everything, since it can be played pretty fast and doesn't stop a lot of what they're doing until the last minute.

I'm mostly over lands at this point but this deck still is a treat to play.

Ephara is of course my favorite commander, but I think it probably overlaps too much with Thassa unless you go with a lifegain or cycling build. She also has some overlap with Elsha with all the instant speed shenanigans.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
You're kinda missing something land themed. My Maelstrom Wanderer / Omnath Locus of the Roil is my favorite landfall deck ever. It's explosive and doesn't interact on the traditional axis from a removal perspective - lots of tempo stuff like Cryptic Command and Blatant Thievery and even Trygon Predator but not a lot of traditional removal. People usually enjoy playing against it right up until it goes berserk and kills everything, since it can be played pretty fast and doesn't stop a lot of what they're doing until the last minute.

I'm mostly over lands at this point but this deck still is a treat to play.
You're right! I don't really have anything land themed, but then, I also haven't the slightest clue of where to start. I've been debating rebuilding my old Golos, Tireless Pilgrim deck, maybe he would make a good commander? To be honest I just don't know enough about the archetype to know what I'm looking for, much less build a deck.

W/U doesn't particularly interest me on the color spectrum, I already have two mono blue deck and TnT. Like you said, it looks like it would overlap what my Thassa deck does and I want each deck to do something different. And that is shown by my removing of Thassa's Oracle from Urza.....I have a deck that does that, don't need two.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

UnNamed1 wrote:
3 years ago
You're right! I don't really have anything land themed, but then, I also haven't the slightest clue of where to start. I've been debating rebuilding my old Golos, Tireless Pilgrim deck, maybe he would make a good commander? To be honest I just don't know enough about the archetype to know what I'm looking for, much less build a deck.

W/U doesn't particularly interest me on the color spectrum, I already have two mono blue deck and TnT. Like you said, it looks like it would overlap what my Thassa deck does and I want each deck to do something different. And that is shown by my removing of Thassa's Oracle from Urza.....I have a deck that does that, don't need two.
Golos is probably the best lands commander but he's also incredibly tiresome -- so depends on if your meta will accept it or not :)

My recommendation for Lands is that it's more fun the more utility nonsense you can include and that 2-3 color is the sweetspot for that. I have seen some Kynaios & Tiro lands builds that aren't bad.

When I go to build a lands deck I usually start with a pile of nonsense like this -- I usually start my focus in green since the decks always are green first. Then branch out to color stuff.

Ramp package (tho I cut lotus cobra if the deck doesn't care about it or wants fewer board commitments).
Then tutors / loam package
Then I add my favorites if I'm in red or blue, for finding loam: Then I look at on-color stuff like... The deck kinda builds itself tbh, I've done it so many times in so many different ways. You can always trim out some of the green core stuff for better stuff.

Then you gotta figure out what kinda payoffs you want; I'm pretty partial to avenger/play 6 lands and kill everyone, but I've also done Volrath's Stronghold + High Market creature loops (E.g. ewit + time warp), and Deserted Temple + Rings of Brighthearth.

Nowadays Mystic Sanctuary loops are pretty good too.

tempoEDH

Post by tempoEDH » 3 years ago

Speaking of land-based commanders.... most wacky and fun commander I ever saw for lands was actually Riku of Two Reflections. Clone landfall payoffs, double ramp spells, temur colors because why not. Did some funny things with stuff like boundless realms and cloning rampaging baloths. Surprisingly powerful, though not overwhelmingly so.
Current Decks:
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death EDH
Karlov of the Ghost Council EDH
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant EDH
Edgar Markov EDH
Emmara, Soul of the Accord EDH
Yarok, the Desecrated EDH
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden EDH
Kalamax (No infinites) EDH
Ghalta EDH
Current Projects:
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept EDH
Neheb, the Eternal EDH

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

One of my favorite "land" decks is "manlands" deck. I have a few versions:

Genju of the Realm - which obviously needs buy-in from the playgroup. Plays mostly Auras that turn lands into creatures (Genju, Zendikons, etc.) as well as Magemarks (e.g. Infiltrator's Magemark) and runs an enchantress package for draw and goodies. I have a Naya version on MTGO as well, helmed by Hazezon Tamar, but obviously harder to do in paper. I'm also working on a Bant Estrid, the Masked version that is more enchantress based with a splash of manlands/landfall.

Horde of Notions Elemental lands - Runs all 10 of the elemental manlands, a few other manlands and some of the Awaken cards (e.g. Clutch of Currents) as well as Terra Eternal. Utility elementals for HoN to recur round out the build.

Sydri, Galvanic Genius "Creature-less" - All of the creature slots are manlands or vehicles (which she can animate without crew). Also does nifty things like making token copies of Mishra's Factory (while it's a creature) or tokens of Powerstone Shard and artifact lands (usually with Mirrorworks and flicker effects). Runs a bunch of Wraths, because I can animate after the wipe...

Most of the other decks and Generals I enjoy are True Tribal, but I can give more info if you want.
V/R

Treamayne

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

You can build Brago using only uncommon and commons.

My Brago build is chock full of rares, but I could see a pauper build accomplishing the same thing.
Here's why I built my Brago deck:
1.) Two-color so it's strong vs Blood Moon, etc. This is important to me because my main deck is 5-color. If I'm going to be playing against strong non-basic hate, I need an alternate deck.
2.) Has to have blue. I want a non cEDH deck that can still interact with the stack.
3.) Has to have white. I want to play Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile.
My specific build is only value and has no-stax elements.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”