Snapdax, the neglected mutant (let's brew!)

Mimicvat
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

I dunno if I'm just missing it, but I see a lot of interest and brewing for many of the mutants, but no love for Snapdax, Apex of the Hunt, in EDH. At the time of writing EDHrec has a whopping 12 decks for him! I think people might be looking past him at the shiny "good colours" options - I know I did at first glance.

But as I look at Snapdax more, I see that he can do something thats quite rare in commander - a relatively easy two turn voltron clock. And yeah voltron sucks and everything, and yeah, Mardu is one of the weaker tri-colours, but man that idea gets me super excited to try and make it work!

The core strategy
Snapdax lets you turn *any* creature into a commander for commander damage. So, mutate him onto a POW6 creature and you have 12 commander damage per swing and a two hit KO. Put him on Gisela and you get 20 commander damage in one swing! Stick him on a random flying infect creature for 6 infect per swing and a 2 hit KO. Snapdax is not a fast commander kill in terms of "dead on turn x", but he gives you an explosive boost to any threat out of your command zone in the late game.

Why Snapdax over other options
Snapdax needs little investment to make this work, though obviously will benefit from whatever support you include. You can very easily run Snapdax as a "Mardu Fatties" list just fine if you make sure the fatties are 6/x Fliers. Just implement your usual fatties gameplan, and try mutate Snapdax onto whatever you happen to have in play and two turn people. Other voltron options are either three turn clocks, or need more enablers or protection taking up slots in your deck, they need to be more dedicated to the voltron theme then we do.

So posting up a first draft of ideas and keen for any ideas you guys might have.

Hosts
Refers to creatures that Snapdax may mutate onto. This list includes "big flying fatty" options and some "jank that works well with Snapdax". I have listed very roughly the fatties at the top leading towards the Snapdax-specific jank towards the bottom.

Good Threats
Doom Whisperer [5CMC]- 6/6 flying trample with a card filter ability at 5 mana is pretty nuts as far as fatties go
Sunscorch Regent [5CMC]- 4/3 flying for 5 mana, but it *always* gets bigger. May not work as an immediate Snapdax host but will get there, is cheaper than the other options, and becomes a very big threat by itself
Divinity of Pride [5CMC] 4/4 flying lifelink that is an 8/8 at 25 or more life. All orzhov mana makes it somewhat hard to cast. A high risk, high reward with the floor being 8 damage and life per swing with Snapdax seems pretty good for 5 mana.
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief[CMC5] - Not POW6 naturally, but cheap, flying, has removal and can pump itself to POW6 or more. Plus I love this card and have a sweet alter I need to use.

Dragonlord Kolaghan [6CMC]- 6 power flying/haste that grants haste is fine for Snapdax and great for the beaters plan
Necropolis Regent [6CMC]- 6 power flying that enhances the beaters plan, or can boost up a creature to be a 1hitKO when mutated
Hellkite Tyrant [6CMC]- 6 power flying with a well known and potent on-hit effect
Lathliss, Dragon Queen [6CMC]- 6 power flying, synergises with the many dragon options for the deck
Aurelia, the Warleader [6CMC]- not 6 power but can achieve a two turn clock through extra combat
Scourge of the Throne [6CMC] - 5 power flying with potential dethrone & double combat to be a 1hitKO
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
[CMC6] - Not POW6 naturally, but kills artifacts and boosts itself up for a moderate cost. Considering but could be cut.
Moonveil Dragon [6CMC] - 5/5 flying with a global firebreathing effect, hits our threshhold with 1 mana and also boosts other creatures
Demonlord Belzenlok [6CMC] - 6/6 flying trample, his ETB can get us gas with all the large creatures in the deck
Mana-Charged Dragon [6CMC]- 5/5 flying trample with a join-forces firebreathing effect

Rune-Scarred Demon [7CMC]- 6 power flying with a tutor
Lord of the Void [7CMC]- 7 power flying with card advantage
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight [7CMC] - potentially 20 damage in one swing, boosts the power of other threats
Furyborn Hellkite [7CMC]- 6 power flying, can potentially be a 12 power flying for 24 damage
Vish Kal, blood Arbiter [7CMC] - 5/5 flying lifelink that can get bigger by sacrificing creatures and which can remove creatures. Thats a *big* life swing right there.
Pestilence Demon [7CMC]- a very expensive 7/6 flying, it works for Snapdax and the pestilence effect can keep small creatures off the board and pressure life totals.
Sephara, Sky's Blade [7CMC]- 7/7 flying, which is unlikely to be cast by tapping creatures. Lifelink and the indestructibility effect are both quite potent
Drakuseth, Maw of Flames [7CMC]- 7 power flying with removal
Tyrant's Familiar [7CMC]- a very expensive 5/5 flying haste, that is a 7/7 with Snapdax out or on it and has a removal ability. Have seen this thing dominate games.

Avatar of Fury [8CMC or 2 CMC]- flying 6 power firebreathing that can be incredibly cheap late game, leading to Avatar+Snapdax+haste for very fast clock or 1hitKO with enough red mana
Utvara Hellkite [8CMC]- expensive 6/6 flying that synergizes with all the dragon options for the deck

Emrakul, the Promised End [13CMC]- 13/13 flying trample with pro-instants, will 1hit a player with Snapdax or just wreck their day regardless. While the deck would have a decent number of card types this is likely a reanimation target rather than castable and so here for consideration rather than a clear good choice

Snapdax-orientated, an upside with this strategy but maybe worse for regular beatdown
Plague Stinger [2CMC]- minimum cost infect with flyingBloodsworn Steward [4CMC]- mostly Snapdax jank, gives us our cheapest 6 power flying/haste clock but of less use outside the strategy

Hunted Dragon [5CMC]- cheapest base 6 power flying/haste, downside isn't that bad
Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [5CMC]- A 2 turn clock with Snap, 3 turn clock by itself, and quite easily a 1 turn clock with a pump effect, with built in haste and regen options. Generates hate and probably for a good reason
Anya, Merciless Angel [5CMC]- cheap 4/4 flying that can get to our threshold with one half health opponent. With three half health opponents she could hit for 26 in one turn. Weaker option but am considering 5CMC options.
Demon of Wailing Agonies [5CMC]- 4/4 flying that is a 6/6 with Snapdax out or on it, has a potent on-hit trigger we can get double value from
Scourge of Valkas [5CMC] - 4/4 flying with firebreathing and a tribal removal/burn effect with dragons

Moltensteel Dragon [6CMC or 4CMC w/ phyrexian mana] - cheap 4/4 flying, can firebreath or phyrexian firebreath to lethal pretty easily
Emissary of Grudges [6CMC]- 6 power flying haste with limited protection
Rorix Bladewing [6CMC]- generic 6 power flying/haste could be playable in this deck, but could be cut for a better card

Enablers
If you don't want to just run the bare minimum for Snappy boy, it can be useful to run evasion, infect, power boosts or additional combat enablers for him. Whats great about Snapdax compared to other voltron options is that this section can be skipped entirely, or that if you do run them, they generally work well with your fatties plan as well!

Sunforger - If you are in red/white you really need to consider if you are a sunforger deck. Snapdax'd Infect creatures or Gisela become 1hitKO with it equipped.

Tainted Strike - There is an argument that this is going too deep in the tank, but Tainted Strike gives you the option to one-hit with a Snapdax fatty. Its also great as a fog effect to remove up to 9 incoming damage or cause another 10 power creature to one hit an opponent. Can be a very fun card if your playgroup is into it..

Dragon Tempest - Global haste is one of the best things for a fatties deck or even a voltron deck. This particular card is very cheap and synergizes with dragons, at the cost of only giving haste to fliers. Most evasive fatties in RBW are fliers so not a major downside.

Loxodon Warhammer - I love including at least one good source of lifegain in my decks. This one turns a naked Snapdax into a 2 turn clock or adds lifegain to any random fatty swinging in. Snapdax'd Infect creatures or Gisela become 1hitKO with it equipped.

Blackblade Reforged - I am an absolute sucker for this card. I love equipment and this equipment can turn any creature into a big threat, then turn the next creature into a threat post-wipe. Can easily turn a Snapdax mutant into a 1hitKO

Steelshaper's Gift (etc) - Worth it if you want to go deeper on the equipment. With how damn good Sunforger is, this is the direction I will be taking my Snapdax deck personally.

Reanimation
Reanimation obviously plays well with large creature decks, but in this case, it also plays well with red looting and rummaging effects, and works well in the later game where you can get a cheap fatty, Snapdax it in the same turn, and get your 1-2 hit KO that much faster

Reanimate - Just 1 cmc and lose some life, as always life loss is less relevant in EDH
Animate Dead - 2 cmc enchantment based reanimation
Exhume - Risky but a 2 cmc reanimator option
Dance of the Dead - Enchantment based reanimation for 2 with downside
Necromancy - Enchantment based reanimation for 3
Coffin Queen - Reusable reanimation for a low cost
Balthor the Defiled - Risky jank, but most of the POW6 fatties we want are red or black...

Special Lands

All sorts of special lands that could be included, but notable inclusions for me are;

Flamekin Village, Hanweir Battlements, Slayers' Stronghold - Haste lands are just incredible in a deck like this.
Rogue's Passage - An additional layer of evasion
Vault of the Archangel, Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion - Sources of lifelink can be invaluable, and even though Snapdax can give double strike, it can be worthwhile to run other double strike sources
Inventors' Fair - This deck would run a lot of mana rocks, and can find powerful equipment that support the core strategy
So, any ideas or things to add? I reckon the core idea is pretty solid but what have I missed that could make Snapdax a real force to be reckoned with?
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Tags:

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Found this thread before going to bed... I will edited this reply tomorrow when I wake up. ^_^

Once thing for sure is infect/wither would let you put -1/-1 counters on opponents' creatures.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

More usefully, Deathtouch will let him kill them

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Given all the torpor effects, you might be able to get some mileage out of playing the huge cheap torpor orb creatures like Phyrexian Dreadnought and hunted horror.

dust elemental not bad either.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 years ago

Interesting ideas. To me, since Snapdax mutates at 5, you REALLY want a powerful 4-drop to mutate onto so you can instantly start swinging for the fences imo. Among the most interesting options:

4-CMC Beaters
Bloodsworn Steward - Once mutated it is your Commander, even on top, so you have a 6/6 Flying Haste Double Strike.
Butcher of the Horde - 5 power, flies, and it can gain other abilities by eating dorks.
Demon of Catastrophes - IF you can afford that alt cost, it doesn't get much better than a 6/6 Flying Trample at this CMC.
Gisela, the Broken Blade - 4/3 is smallish, but we do get Flying + Lifelink on one host.
Everquill Phoenix - A little small at 4/4, but plays well with Mutate to be super resilient and rewards you for playing more mutates.
Hunted Lammasu - The drawback is negligible, and the 5/5 flying body is rock solid.
Liliana's Reaver - A little small, but Deathtouch on Snap is hot as is a saboteur effect.
Rakdos, Lord of Riots - Mentioned for completeness; the stats are amazing but the cost both in terms of colors and in terms of dealing damage is pretty tough. If you can build a manabase and creature/enchantment base to swing it, however, Rakdos is awesomesauce.
Seraph of the Scales - I don't love having to pay for Deathtouch or Vigilance, but these are all the abilities we want Snapdax to be able to pick up...
Sublime Archangel - only a 4/3 by base, but will swing as at least a 5/4 thanks to exalted and can swing harder with enough of a backup dancer squad.
Voracious Hatchling - Takes a bit of work, but quite spicy. By base it curves into Snapdax to attack as a 4/4 Lifelink Double Strike.

I also like the idea of saboteur effects to maximize Snapdax's Double Strike. A few more interesting ones are...

Saboteurs:
Academy Raider - Body is a bit weak on top and Intimidate is pretty awkward if on bottom, but looting is fun. EDIT: Nope, is a human.
Blazing Specter - Flying and double discard!
Drana, Liberator of Malakir - Flying is great, first hit is for 7, then 11 - not quite a 2HKO but still very reasonable especially as it also pumps the rest of the crew.
Dreamstealer - Basically Mind Twist your enemies, and Menace is a fine evasive keyword. EDIT: Nope, is a human - the token being a Zombie is probably too risky.
Grenzo's Ruffians - Build your own Hydra Omnivore!
Guul Draz Specter - One of the better Specters as the first few hits should push you up to the +3/+3 to close things out faster.
Kheru Mind-Eater - Again, menace is good and so is stealing cards from hands.
Needle Specter - Wither + Flying + Double Strike should make you near unassailable in combat, which should then allow you to again Wit's End your poor opponent.
Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion - A 5/4 trample is a great body to host Snapdax, and Double Strike on his trigger loots a ton and adds a ton.
Rankle, Master of Pranks - 3/3 is very small but Flying is what we want and having a sorta Smallpox charm stapled to our doublestriking body can cause a lot of mischief and mayhem.
Stromkirk Occultist - Of all the "Red Ophidians" I like this one most since the body is reasonable on top if we need it and Trample + Impulsive Draw on hit is a great effect.
Stronghold Rats - Shadow is one of the best possible evasion effects, and throwing down Mind Swords on every hit should remove any options of stopping Snapdax's reign of terror pretty quick.
Virtus the Veiled - even without his greater half, I think I like this over Ebonblade Reaper if you're into this sorta effect.

EDIT: As someone mentioned Deathtouch and Wither (in addition to, obviously, Infect) are also really good with Snapdax - it causes his mutate trigger to Murder a target or permanently wound it even if it has 5+ toughness, and is brutal with Double Strike as it makes him near-unbeatable in combat. I don't know if it is quite good enough to be running pure french vanillas like Typhoid Rats but a list of ones that I'd really consider...

Deathtouch and Wither:
Foulmire Knight // Profane Insight - I said I wouldn't run a french vanilla, but this also cycles for value late-game.
Vampire of the Dire Moon, Gifted Aetherborn, Vampire Nighthawk, Grimdancer - Lifelink + Deathtouch is the apotheosis of value with Snapdax's trigger.
Embodiment of Agonies, Malakir Familiar - Flying + Deathtouch is amazing too, and both of these guys help Snapdax start or get bigger by providing +1/+1 counters.

EDIT: Stupid non-human clause...
Last edited by Hawk 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

On EDHREC all the mutants looks neglected
Nethroi has 75 decks
Illuna has 42
Otrimi has 57 and Brokkos 17
Snapdax, with his 12 decks, isn't even last...
... Vadrok has 9!

By the way, play Ride Down

Cyberium

Mythos of Snapdax and Tragic Arrogance might fit here, given that mutate creates one powerful creature instead of many. You can also blink the stack of mutate to protect it, then gain a board of army right after.

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

I love that idea, those wraths will be very effective with just one big threat on the board.

I've put together a rough first draft of the deck based on what I thought and what you guys have suggested, would be keen on feedback!

Currently torn on Virtus, the Veiled. My playgroup might get salty, but double striking that effect is just so sweet...
SPOILER
Show
Hide
12x MANA ROCKS
12x INTERACTION: 4x Wraths plus both Mythos of Snapdax and Tragic Arrogance, 6x misc spot removal compatible with Sunforger
10x DRAW/LOOT: Neheb, Dreadhorde Eternal, Bloodgift Demon + 8 misc cheap looting and draw effects

3x REANIMATION: Reanimate, Animate Dead, Exhume,

MISC SLOTS:
Equipment - Sunforger, Blackblade Reforged, Loxodon Warhammer, Steelshaper's Gift, Swiftfoot Boots
Haste - Dragon tempest
Jank - Tainted Strike

6x SNAPDAX FUEL
These creatures are here primarily because they work well with Snapdax or are cheap 6 power options

2CMC - Plague Stinger
4CMC - Bloodsworn Stewarts, Moltensteel Dragon
5CMC - Doom Whisperer, Sunscorch Regent, Demon of Wailing Agonies

12x BIG BOIS
All 6 POW or able to achieve 6 POW and flying, and solid individual beatdown creatures

5 CMC - Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief, Demonlord Belzenlok
6 CMC - Dragonlord Kolaghan, Necropolis Regent, Hellkite Tyrant, Scourge of the Throne, Aurelia, the Warleader
7 CMC - Lord of the Void, Furyborn Hellkite, Rune-Scarred Demon
8 CMC - Avatar of Fury (2CMC late game), Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
If you think any given card might be better than one of the cards here would love to hear the reasoning behind it
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Cyberium

Mimicvat wrote:
4 years ago
I love that idea, those wraths will be very effective with just one big threat on the board.

I've put together a rough first draft of the deck based on what I thought and what you guys have suggested, would be keen on feedback!

Currently torn on Virtus, the Veiled. My playgroup might get salty, but double striking that effect is just so sweet...
SPOILER
Show
Hide
12x MANA ROCKS
12x INTERACTION: 4x Wraths plus both Mythos of Snapdax and Tragic Arrogance, 6x misc spot removal compatible with Sunforger
10x DRAW/LOOT: Neheb, Dreadhorde Eternal, Bloodgift Demon + 8 misc cheap looting and draw effects

3x REANIMATION: Reanimate, Animate Dead, Exhume,

MISC SLOTS:
Equipment - Sunforger, Blackblade Reforged, Loxodon Warhammer, Steelshaper's Gift, Swiftfoot Boots
Haste - Dragon tempest
Jank - Tainted Strike

6x SNAPDAX FUEL
These creatures are here primarily because they work well with Snapdax or are cheap 6 power options

2CMC - Plague Stinger
4CMC - Bloodsworn Stewarts, Moltensteel Dragon
5CMC - Doom Whisperer, Sunscorch Regent, Demon of Wailing Agonies

12x BIG BOIS
All 6 POW or able to achieve 6 POW and flying, and solid individual beatdown creatures

5 CMC - Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief, Demonlord Belzenlok
6 CMC - Dragonlord Kolaghan, Necropolis Regent, Hellkite Tyrant, Scourge of the Throne, Aurelia, the Warleader
7 CMC - Lord of the Void, Furyborn Hellkite, Rune-Scarred Demon
8 CMC - Avatar of Fury (2CMC late game), Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
If you think any given card might be better than one of the cards here would love to hear the reasoning behind it
Small fix: Gisela is 7cc.

I'm concern with all the high cc creatures, given that Mardu isn't the quickest mana around. I'd also avoid big beaters if attacking is all it does, such as Furyborn Hellkite. Some of the white mutates also work better the more creatures you have, and going token route isn't a bad idea given that mutate requires target for its ability.

It might be easier to go small on creatures then beef them up with Snapdax and protections, such as Swords of X & Y (which also work wonder with double strike), Mother of Runes, Champion's Helm, etc. Small creatures + equipment also work with Necropanther, Lurrus of the Dream-Den, and Sun Titan type cards, adds to your endurance. Cards like Phyrexian Reclamation let you bring Snapdax and other mutate directly back to hands for further mutation, which may be at times preferred over regular reanimation.

If you want more big creatures, Ilharg, the Raze-Boar can be a safety net bringing out big creatures then bounce them for repeat effects (such as with Rune-Scarred Demon). Otherwise, 4cc slots should go to Everquill Phoenix, Liliana's Reaver, and Queen Marchesa.

Cards like Divine Reckoning would wreck the board (and again)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”