What is going in your decks from C20 and Ikoria?

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

My decks are pretty transient, but, here's what I'm interested in:

Bruna, the Fading Light:
Drannith Magistrate (I hate this card, but as long as it's legal, it's very cheap removal bait that doesn't touch my 'real' cards).
Verge Rangers

Rashmi, Eternities Crafter:
Parcelbeast
Tidal Barracuda

(New Deck!) Gavi, Nest Warden

Generally from Ikoria:
Luminous Broodmoth
Extinction Event (I'm sad this does NOT dovetail with Obosh, the Preypiercer)
Mythos of Nethroi
Titan's Nest (I want to play a very Delve-oriented deck with Tasigur at the helm in the future)
Jegantha, the Wellspring (would this work well in slivers, I wonder?)
Obosh, the Preypiercer
Zirda, the Dawnwaker

Generally from C20:
Free spells
Partners (Especially Cazur, Ruthless Stalker + Ukkima, Stalking Shadow)
Kelsein, the Plague (is there an angle to maindeck Kalemne, Champion of Iroas and Daxos the Returned here?)

I think I find the cards generically kind of neat but struggle to want to put any of them in my decks. I guess I would want Free Spells™ for most of my decks, but realistically I'll only have one copy of each.

Jace
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Outcryqq wrote:
4 years ago
Jace wrote:
4 years ago
—snip-
I didn't know so many people played Mono-U sea creatures! My deck used to be Thassa and mono-U but Arixmethes forced it into Simic. I figured most became Simic at that point. I'd have loved to keep Thassa as the commander but had to adapt to UG. I do admire the addition of green though.
I'm still rocking mono blue. Simic looks fun, but I also really have wanted to play dimir.
If Arixmethes had been mono-U I would still be playing mono-U with OG Thassa at the helm. However, I'm glad Arixmethes forced the deck into UG so that I can use all the Kiora cards and various thematic ramp.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
No one mentioned Haldan, Avid Arcanist/Pako, Arcane Retriever, I'm surprised. I used to have a Intet, the Dreamer deck, so I'm gonna try to incorporate a new version that could utilize the good doggie and Illuna together. I'm all for stealing cards from opponents.
No one picked this up, but I'm curious, since I've built Intet twice with years inbetween. I played Intet as a top-deck champ kind of thing with Sylvan Library/Mirri's Guile/Sensei's Top/Scroll Rack/Brainstorm, etc. etc. etc.

What do you plan on doing with Haldan/Pako? Something similar to top-of-deck shenanigans, or something different altogether?

At the very least, I can see Haldan being able to just chuck out lands exiled by Pako and carry you through to the mid-late game, but I balk at Pako's cost; 5 mana for that kind of thing is a lot.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
No one mentioned Haldan, Avid Arcanist/Pako, Arcane Retriever, I'm surprised. I used to have a Intet, the Dreamer deck, so I'm gonna try to incorporate a new version that could utilize the good doggie and Illuna together. I'm all for stealing cards from opponents.
No one picked this up, but I'm curious, since I've built Intet twice with years inbetween. I played Intet as a top-deck champ kind of thing with Sylvan Library/Mirri's Guile/Sensei's Top/Scroll Rack/Brainstorm, etc. etc. etc.

What do you plan on doing with Haldan/Pako? Something similar to top-of-deck shenanigans, or something different altogether?

At the very least, I can see Haldan being able to just chuck out lands exiled by Pako and carry you through to the mid-late game, but I balk at Pako's cost; 5 mana for that kind of thing is a lot.
The way I play Intet, my prime wincon was going infinite turns with top deck manipulation and just bash my opponent to death, or if I cannot do that I'd arrange the top card to be counters/removals/bounces so I'd have a stash below Intet and keep my opponents guessing.

Haldan/Pako would be very different, given that you don't get to play spells for free, albeit you can play other people's spells. Both Intet and Pako requires to attack, and Pako has the advantage of haste and doesn't require additional investment of mana, the downside being needing Haldan to play any of the stolen spells. I think Haldan/Pako lead is more reliable than Intet mana wise, and Pako able to grab lands work wondrous with additional-land cards like Exploration, which speeds up all strategy after.

A Landfall core, is likely how I will build Haldan/Pako.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I forgot I got parcelbeast for Maelstrom wanderer. I'm really excited to mutate it onto a scaretiller :P

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 3 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
I proxies these two and sleeved up the other 98 last weekend and they were incredible! Pako gets huge very quickly, Haldan is an unassuming way to get a second hand, and there are a lot of ways to mess with the top card of your deck and others. I'll write up a post for my list on this site shortly, but for now my list is up here: https://archidekt.com/decks/509406
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
The cost of Pako is quickly neglected by the ability to steal extra lands. I'm running most of the extra lands drop creatures and it's looking like the rest will be necessary as well. It just feels extra bad to hit a creature so I'm trying to avoid too many of them.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

I can't help but feel like Pako was supposed to be 4 mana. Then they would curve nicely, too.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Cyberium

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
I can't help but feel like Pako was supposed to be 4 mana. Then they would curve nicely, too.
I don't know, 4cc for 3/3 haste who has a chance of becoming 8/8 the moment it attacks? I might agree if Pako doesn't have haste.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

OCPunisher wrote:
3 years ago
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
The cost of Pako is quickly neglected by the ability to steal extra lands. I'm running most of the extra lands drop creatures and it's looking like the rest will be necessary as well. It just feels extra bad to hit a creature so I'm trying to avoid too many of them.
My problem with Pako is the initial invest is steep. Tabling a 5 mana spell is like, frequently mid-to-late game. That he can sustain himself on stolen land is something that might push him to playability, but, I would have trouble paying 7 for him. It's not that I wouldn't have the mana; it's that I'm almost certain to have something that costs 7 that will do more than Pako.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 3 years ago

ZenN wrote:
3 years ago
How often are you interested in playing out Haldan, Avid Arcanist with nothing exiled? Playing out a creature that promises card advantage if it sticks two turns before you actually get to do anything with it is just asking to get it removed. I'd think of the curve as Pako, Arcane Retriever at 5, then Haldan + exiled CMC <= 3 drop at 6. If you don't hit anything worthwhile off of Pako's first swing, hold off on casting Haldan until you do (unless you need the land drops).

I hadn't really thought about these two before, but I'm more interested now. Intet was one of my first decks when I started the format so this feels like a nice throwback.

I haven't gone too deep into what I'll be adding to decks yet. I get more interested in some kind of polymorph focused mono-R list with every new version of that effect printed, so Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast is tempting. I might rework Jaya a little bit to take advantage of that. Deflecting Swat is also tempting for Jaya.

For Estrid, Shark Typhoon is the most interesting. Powerful when it's on the board, powerful cycling ability, and it plays nicely with Estrid ult/Replenish. Ominous Seas is also a little tempting but I suspect will be too slow. It may still make the cut for testing on the strength of cycling.

Outside of those two decks, Lurrus of the Dream Den is far and away the most interesting card for me even if I'll probably never run it as a companion. Small permanent recursion is excellent and it comes on a creature small enough to play nicely with similar effects. I'm also looking forward to trying out Cartographer's Hawk and Verge Rangers as a long time mono-W fan. All of the free spells with commander down seem good for obvious reasons.

No immediate plans to build around any of the new general options aside from maybe Haldan/Pako
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 years ago

SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
How often are you interested in playing out Haldan, Avid Arcanist with nothing exiled? Playing out a creature that promises card advantage if it sticks two turns before you actually get to do anything with it is just asking to get it removed. I'd think of the curve as Pako, Arcane Retriever at 5, then Haldan + exiled CMC <= 3 drop at 6. If you don't hit anything worthwhile off of Pako's first swing, hold off on casting Haldan until you do (unless you need the land drops).

I hadn't really thought about these two before, but I'm more interested now. Intet was one of my first decks when I started the format so this feels like a nice throwback.
You're probably right. I did some more thinking about these two after that last comment, and I think much of the time you're going to be holding off on Haldan until you've got like 6+ things exiled, and you can play Haldan and then 2-4 of them at once. Step one is going to be trying to ramp into Pako as quickly as you can, probably.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Cyberium

SocorroTortoise wrote:
3 years ago
ZenN wrote:
3 years ago

After some testing myself, I concur it's more feasible to have some protection ready before you even cast/attack with Pako (like Boots). Fortunately, you also get three new free spells in this set. Pako's size and his "fetch" quickly add up and with all the untap/ramp in Temur arsenal you'd have a huge "hand" of cards for Haldan to utilize, the triggers get a little hectic after you also have Rashmi, Stolen Strategy, Sunbird's Invocation, and/or Mind's Dilation in play.

tempoEDH

Post by tempoEDH » 3 years ago

Only immediate thing I know is my Yarok, the Desecrated list will be getting Tidal Barracuda, Fiend Artisan, and the new Vivien (it's got a pod subtheme. I'll be building Kalamax for sure (a sweet, unique, non-infinite brew I've been thinking up). I might be adapting Karlov to include Lurrus as a companion, but I'm not sure yet. Alesha might be swapping from a CEDH brew to a scaled down human tribal, using a lot of the Ruthless regiment cards.
Current Decks:
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death EDH
Karlov of the Ghost Council EDH
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant EDH
Edgar Markov EDH
Emmara, Soul of the Accord EDH
Yarok, the Desecrated EDH
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden EDH
Kalamax (No infinites) EDH
Ghalta EDH
Current Projects:
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept EDH