Your favourite "big dumb fatties" generals

ukkuhrmakhai
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ukkuhrmakhai » 4 years ago

Jhoira of the Ghitu is a fun big creature deck. Even without MLD just suspending big creatures is fun.

Maelstrom wanderer is also a fun choice. Hasty big creatures is always great and all you have to is cast wanderer

Tags:

Jace
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Rorseph wrote:
4 years ago
Thassa, God of the Sea is my favorite big, dumb bois commander. She does it with style.
Agreed. When my sea monster deck was still Thassa I loved her making creatures unblockable and the scry keeping the big CMC creatures tucked away until later in the game when they could be cast. The draw fixing was just remarkable.

Arixmethes is himself a fatty that ramps into other big sea creatures, and features blue for draw and green for even more ramp. The voltron aspect is wonderful and he's very efficient.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 4 years ago

For me, it's Marisi, Breaker of the Coil. You get the green ramp, the white control elements and the big creatures. Marisi stops your opponents from interacting with your combat step. By goading their creatures your creatures can just go berserk.

if4ko

Post by if4ko » 4 years ago

My friend runs Dragonlord Dromoka for extra protection.

I haven't figured out what I would do for my deck. Maybe Braids, Conjurer Adept? She seems really fun

Couver

Post by Couver » 4 years ago

Rhonas the Indomitable

The fun part is that he lets you run a bit of control via the fight mechanic which works wonderfully with his deathtouch and indestructible.

My favorite ever moment with this deck was slapping on a Lure to him and then letting all my other fatties run through.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

Quite a while ago, I build a Jori-En, Ruin Diver deck which is a little different from the more accepted cantrip heavy versions. The plan is to just drop quality 6 cost creatures, copy them, turn them sideways, and use Jori to just keep the hand topped off. Having multiple Frost Titans is quite scary, it turns out.

I built a green stompy deck, which is currently helmed by Yeva, Nature's Herald and pretty much just plays all the big beaters that don't really make the cut in most other lists. The list was initially started for Nissa, Vastwood Seer, but it was switched early on. I'll probably try Nissa for a few games soon though. There's a temptation to switch to Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma as well.

Currently, I'm building a Wurm deck hosted by Rashmi, Eternities Crafter. After I'd finished building Jori, Rashmi got released, and it made me sad because Rashmi is just like Jori, but better, and in better colors for it. I'd always joked about converting over the deck, but I decided that if the general was going to be better, then the creatures would need to be worse.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

sibakruom
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by sibakruom » 4 years ago

I've always had a soft spot for Mayael the Anima, although with the years I've found the power 5 of greater requirement to be increasingly frustrating. Lately I've considered retooling the deck into Atla Palani, Nest Tender.

I once read a piece of advice on mtgcommander's old Mayael thread that has stuck with me, and helped me build Mayael into something that suits me. Heavily paraphrased: it's not because I'm playing 30 fatties that I'm forced into an aggressive strategy.

The reasoning behind this idea comes from the fact that, well... I'm playing 30 fatties. This means that on average my threats are significantly scarier than my opponents' - both in terms of stats and abilities - which has a couple of implications:
  • The game going longer favors me, not my opponents. I'm happy to play the control role while slowly overtaking the game through threat quality.
  • I don't need to overextend to have a threatening board presence, but my opponents are likely to overextend to protect themselves from a single threat of mine. At this point a wrath effect favors me, and depending on the situation I might even be the one throwing it.
This results in a strategy that's not particularly explosive, nor is it intended to be. It suits a value-generating Commander like Mayael well but I don't know if it fits what you had in mind.

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 3 years ago

JovialJovian wrote:
4 years ago
It's going to be Godzilla, King of the Monsters
I had a good look at that as I love Gruul and battlecruiser, but I think it might end up being underwhelming. A lot of "fatties" in gruul have equal or near equal p/t, so no real benefit basing their toughness on power in most cases, they'd appreciate other Gruul generals for sure. Value wise there are the cheaper cmc high power/1 toughness types, which are obviously great for this, but most of those have the big downside of self sac EoT. Arc Runner Ball Lightning Blistering Firecat etc, list goes on. I mean in fairness you can run Blistering Barrier for sure, for the quirky artwork if nothing else. There are a few who'd love it, Conifer Strider, Hunted Troll but few and far really. Maybe there's power only buffs I'm not taking into account, I do love the concept though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”