Unique/Original Blink Deck Ideas

ashep01
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by ashep01 » 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

I really enjoy playing Blink decks. But I would like some input to help find a commander that isnt mainstream for this deck type. I would like to stay away from Bant and Azorius if possible. I would also like to build something that isnt overly reliant on the commander (sorry Feather, the Redeemed).

Some color pies that I have considered already are Mardu and Jeskai. The new Kaalia is kinda bad, but maybe the new Commander 20 humans commander could be better? The new Abzan commander seems to have some unique potential as well. Although I have mentioned 3 color decks here, I am not opposed to trying 2 color or mono color.

Does anyone have some thoughts or experience on building outside the box for Blink decks?

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I mean it's not exactly non-obvious but I've been having a blast with my Thassa blink deck - mono color really constrains you to picking some offbeat cards like dream eater and scourge of fleets. While the commander is fairly important to the engine, it's also very resilient.
Thassa: https://deckbox.org/sets/2630246?s=c&o=a

For other options I feel like you basically need W and U in there; the backbone of a good blink engine is being able to reuse your blink spells, and that means ephemerate and archaeomancer.

Esper blink with Aminatou is an obvious build, but you can esper blink with Sharuum who has a very powerful ETB to reuse with say ghostly flicker.

That said you can also use Green in place of blue and get to do chord of calling loops (chord for witness, chord for things that blink witness) which is very cool. eternal witness and skullwinder can replace blue recursion. And you get lines like chord for woodland bellower.

eerie interlude and ghostway both create really ridiculous things with a recursion effect, and planar guide and rally the ancestors do pretty great stuff too.

As far as Selesnya/X commanders, I think Abzan has a lot of strong blink approaches. saffi eriksdotter is a commander I've seen do this a bunch.

Kethis, the hidden hand with a legendary subtheme could be really fun.

The new partner pair from Ikoria sounds greaat also, with yannik, scavenging sentinel providing a blink outlet from the command zone.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I've had fun blinking Rasputin Dreamweaver and the new Jeskai cycling deck is gonna include several options for him including a new Astral Slide variant :3 he's sort of a gimmicky old card though, just a mana battery who happens to be able to crew the Parhelion II on his own.

I keep it casual though, I don't know what the extents of a Rasputin deck might be

edit: ah, staying away from Azorius, understood giggle

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

For an upcoming idea you could look at Gavi, Nest Warden and utilizing a cycle deck that uses Astral Slide, Astral Drift, Evasion Protocol.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
I mean it's not exactly non-obvious but I've been having a blast with my Thassa blink deck - mono color really constrains you to picking some offbeat cards like dream eater and scourge of fleets. While the commander is fairly important to the engine, it's also very resilient.
Thassa: https://deckbox.org/sets/2630246?s=c&o=a
I absolutely love my Thassa blink deck. It's honestly the most fun semi-competitive deck I have built in a long time. The pure value of every card is insane, there's nothing I don't want to draw. Have you every used [card]floodgate{/card]? It's really fun if you haven't. I don't have my decklist put together but i know for a fact the deck can be fully built/bought outright for about $60 including basic lands and shipping. The deck is resilient without the commander and loves the recursion from the commander. I would seriously recommend Thassa, Deep-Dwelling to anyone looking toward a blink deck.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Vadrok, Apex of Thunder allows you to cast 3cc or cheaper blink spells from graveyard long as you mutate it (preferably at instant speed). His effect doesn't exile the spell so it'd let you repeat the process as you see fit.

Similarly, any of the mutate commanders would let you blink then bring back all the creatures stack under a mutate monster to the battlefield, resulting in EtB effect.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Snip

The new partner pair from Ikoria sounds greaat also, with yannik, scavenging sentinel providing a blink outlet from the command zone.
I was going to say this, but I was beaten to it XD.

I'm moving my Aminatou over to these two. The B partner reminds me a bit of Vela the Night-Clad, and the GW one is like any of the blink creatures I have. Doing things at a slower speed might not be the best, but I love the color combination, and I only really need to add awesome G and Gx stuff to it.

For the record though, Aminatou is not to be under estimated. For any blink deck, I recommend Panharmonicon.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

CTNC

Post by CTNC » 4 years ago

It's technically not blink, but Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker seems like close enough. There aren't many ways to untap him in Red without instantly going infinite and you need your commander to "blink" but you death triggers too.

Edit: Don't know how I forgot Red has other ways to make clones that last one turn. I guess I was too focused on untapping Kiki-Jiki... :x
Last edited by CTNC 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

CTNC wrote:
4 years ago
It's technically not blink, but Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker seems like close enough. There aren't many ways to untap him in Red without instantly going infinite and you need your commander to "blink" but you death triggers too.
Red has a fairly robust suite of stuff like flameshadow conjuring and heat shimmer that act kinda like blink. My mono red Golos deck plays a lot of those.

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

Can vouch for mono-red "blink" or Boros token/blink as legit. Definitely harder to build than UWx but its also definitely way less played.

Feldon is an alternative if you dont want the infinite shenanigans of Kiki-Jiki
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Mimicvat wrote:
4 years ago
Can vouch for mono-red "blink" or Boros token/blink as legit. Definitely harder to build than UWx but its also definitely way less played.

If you want to take a trip to casual-town with mono red ETB then ilharg, the raze-boar is your guy/gal/pig
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

Oh I just remembered (maybe because I am trying to rebuild it) my old blink deck. If you like life shenanigans maybe try Orzhov? I used to run a blink deck with Obzedat the Ghost Council at the helm, and it wasn't uncommon for my to be over 100 life. Very much a casual deck though, but you could add in the black infinite drain combo's. Just run a lot of etb ltb life gain and have fun.

Also, side note, if anyone wants to show me how to link cards? That would be amazing.

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

My 'main' blink deck is Omnath, Locus of the Roil, which really mostly aims to repeatedly blink Ommy itself to kill people with. Doesn't really go infinite so much as create 10+ elementals and blink/copy/bounce and recast Omnath until results are sufficient. Any other etb elementals and the late-game draw on landfall are just gravy.

My other blink deck is my monowhite Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit which is all about that value via repeated blinks and heavy on the recursion.

Both are pretty sweet decks to pilot.
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

ashep01

Post by ashep01 » 4 years ago

A mono-red "blink" deck sounds really interesting to me! Does anyone have deck list that I can take a look at?

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
Mimicvat wrote:
4 years ago

If you want to take a trip to casual-town with mono red ETB then ilharg, the raze-boar is your guy/gal/pig
Red or Boros blink is definitely *not* casual. I've seen it compete at the 'big boys table' on commander night against the combo stuff.

I mean, it competes at the lowest level of that tier, but it can definitely operate as a strong deck if you build it right.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”