Xyris, the Writhing Storm (Let's brew!)

Sanity_Eclipse
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 4 years ago

Outcryqq wrote:
4 years ago
Rhythm of the Wild is nontoken, doesn't seem as effective in this list. Maybe Purphoros, God of the Forge in its place?
Well that's a derp on my part /facepalm. Maybe, maybe not Purphy 1.0 but Rhythm is definitely dropped.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Man I really like the idea of a pump spell focused version of this list for some reason. Just feels really really fun and daring. Get as much power as you can to draw a ton of cards, use spells to give it haste and stuff.

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Outcryqq wrote:
4 years ago
Sanity_Eclipse wrote:
4 years ago
Rough initial list.
Rhythm of the Wild is nontoken, doesn't seem as effective in this list. Maybe Purphoros, God of the Forge in its place?
There's also Throne of the God-Pharaoh that could make each player lose life after a massive attack.

Sanity_Eclipse

Creature swapped for a creature, non-creature for non-creature.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

pokken

So I am pretty sure I am going to brew up a combat trick focused Xyris, and I want to use the snakes primarily to fuel tapping for firebreathing spells and making mana as a subtheme.

Here's my current card list for that:
I'd like to get a handful more of those effects but I'm drawing a blank. Because the deck is going to be *super* low to the ground we need to make colored mana with these effects ideally so I can cast say, 4 or 5 pump spells some with GG or RR in the cost.

Any other ideas for ways to turn snakes into colored mana?

Sanity_Eclipse

More Decks
Show
Hide
- Breya -

Cyberium

Or if you go by number instead of raw combat, Goblin Bombardment doubles as creature removal. Coat of Arms make your Xyris YUGE.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Is Thermopod feasible?

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 years ago

I'll throw up a decklist here as well since I like the idea of a Flying Snake and Shark Swarm.

Xyris: Sharks and Snakes On A Plane
Approximate Total Cost:

And because I'm a cEDH deck-builder as well:

Xyris cEDH
Show
Hide
Xyris Divergent Polymorph cEDH
Approximate Total Cost:

tempoEDH

Post by tempoEDH » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
So I am pretty sure I am going to brew up a combat trick focused Xyris, and I want to use the snakes primarily to fuel tapping for firebreathing spells and making mana as a subtheme.

I'd like to get a handful more of those effects but I'm drawing a blank. Because the deck is going to be *super* low to the ground we need to make colored mana with these effects ideally so I can cast say, 4 or 5 pump spells some with GG or RR in the cost.

Thermopod, Citanul Heirophants, Song of Freyalise, Druid's Repository come to mind.
Current Decks:
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death EDH
Karlov of the Ghost Council EDH
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant EDH
Edgar Markov EDH
Emmara, Soul of the Accord EDH
Yarok, the Desecrated EDH
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden EDH
Kalamax (No infinites) EDH
Ghalta EDH
Current Projects:
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept EDH
Neheb, the Eternal EDH

Cyberium

List updated.

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

Lol, Whelming Wave works with Xyris. Theres no way I can not run that lol
pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Man I really like the idea of a pump spell focused version of this list for some reason. Just feels really really fun and daring. Get as much power as you can to draw a ton of cards, use spells to give it haste and stuff.
Oh man, I have wanted to do combat trick tribal for a long time, that seems like a very legit idea. It also makes the "Hey, want to take 3 damage to draw some cards..." question *way* more interesting.

Went through the boosts, gotta say I was pretty disappointed... they're scaled to limited, pretty much the weakest format in the world, so getting more than +3/+3 from one card is pretty damn hard (there is one that will give +6 though!). The 2 CMC cards and particularly the 3 CMC options don't seem to scale up much in power vs the cream of the 1 CMC crop. Really wish we had white for the protection and WR boosts.

Would highly recommend some double strike equipment or anthems in the deck. Turns +3/+3 into a two turn clock

Boost
Brute Force
Enrage
Explosive Growth
Giant Growth
Groundswell
Infuriate
Lifecraft Awakening
Might of Alara
Might of Old Krosa
Mutagenic Growth
Samut's Sprint
Titan's Strength
Untamed Might
Vines of Vastwood
CMC2
Echoing Courage
Might of the Nephilim
Gift of Growth
Psychotic Fury
Temur Battle Rage
Titanic Growth
CMC3
Invigorate
Temur Charm

Protection and Boost
Blossoming Defense
Ranger's Guile
Simic Charm
Mortal's Resolve

Protection
Dive Down
Intervene
Hapatra's Mark
Mizziumn Skin
Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Or if you go by number instead of raw combat, Goblin Bombardment doubles as creature removal. Coat of Arms make your Xyris YUGE.
Oh god, any deck that lets me use Goblin Bombardment is a deck I'm going to like. What a sick idea!
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

pokken

I concluded that it required a bit of a storm element to make pump spells work. Haze of Rage in particular is really good.

Seething Anger and reckless charge are a couple you missed that can get you lethal by being mana sinks. And of course Finale of Devastation

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

pokken wrote:
4 years ago

Should tell you with the altar and any one mana tapper enabler for all creatures Faces of the Past then you could get a massive spell very very very early in the game (tap all the snakes then sac one then they all untap and tap remaintent and tap one and so on and so fourth)

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

Kamahl, Fist of Krosa , Essence of the Wild Heraldic Banner, Mana Echoes Savage Beating, Shaman of Forgotten Ways, Mirrorwing Dragon/Zada, Hedron Grinder

Dunno if any of these have been mentioned, but they have some game. Love the idea of using Zada or Mirrorwing on the pump strategy. SofW is a solid mana dork that can be a wincon in the late game. Echoes is probably somewhere in the thread, no %$#% thats good in a token deck. Essence of the Wild is pure jank and I gotta try it. I love Kamahl in any creature-centric deck and he fills the roles of wincon, protection and Xyris pump enabler,
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”