Nexus Online Playgroup Thread!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 years ago

Finally got around to buying a phone mount so I can play webcam games, which are what I want to do instead of using a program.

GloriousGoose|Tuned|45-90|N|Y|-6 UTC|Evenings, but flexible|Y|N|Y|Y|N|Y|

Hopefully I did that right. I look forward to playing with you nerds.

cryogen
GΘΔ†
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cryogen » 3 years ago

Had fun times last night playing with bob, wildfire, and Jim from Spike Feeders. In game 1 I used Puppeteer Clique, along with Jim's Solemnity and Bob's Dimir House Guard and Zulaport Cutthroat to kill the table. In the second game, bob best face with worms. I put up a valiant effort to make him do it to himself by using Duelist's Heritage to give his Worldspine Wurm double strike and then Mirror Strike it back at him with Comeuppance to make the board more manageable, but the follow up of Delirium was one point shy of finishing him off.

I even uploaded the games if anyone wants to watch them:
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I like the idea of playing commander from home. Especially given the times. What sort of set-ups/webcams are recommend for it? I would use my phone, but as my dad likes to say, I got a "burner phone", so it really can't be used for anything other than blurry videos.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

I use my phone as my webcam with the DroidCam app. That said, it can be draining on the battery for long periods, so you'll want a good phone for that.

Most decent webcams can be used. If doing webcam magic, it seems like Discord/Go To Meeting/Skype is where most people are - though I haven't heard anything about how good Zoom is.

If you feel your phone/webcam isn't up to the task though, there are several software options you can explore, both official and unofficial.

There's a group in here that plays on Magic Online on Fridays, and another group of us that plays Saturdays on cockatrice.

Cjsaul0309
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cjsaul0309 » 3 years ago

I've just picked up a webcam for webcam magic how would I go about getting some games in

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I have a webcam now, so I can play that way.

I also broke down and used a few random tix to build my Etali deck (minus a few expensive cards) in Magic Online. Username: Guardman

Playing online is weird. So much of EDH is politics and talking, but it is mostly silent when playing with randoms. Plus there is always one person playing a CEDH deck and one playing a deck that is maybe a 4 (if I am being generous) on the powerscale. Not that enjoyable. But I am sure, well, hoping, it is a complete 180 when playing with people I know and can talk to.
Last edited by Guardman 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
Playing online is weird. So much of EDH is politics and talking, but it is mostly silent when playing with randoms. Plus there is always one person playing a CEDH deck and one playing a deck that is maybe a 4 (if I am being generous) on the powerscale. Not that enjoyable. But I am sure, well, hoping, it is a complete 180 when playing with people I know and can talk to.
Yeah, it's entirely different, and so much better.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

If anyone is looking at MTGO apparently cardhoarder is offering 5tix of free loaners per mtgo account - 5 bucks goes quite a long way in edh stuff.

I'm still jamming Ephara games there a lot.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago
Have you joined a clan? Clan chat allows everybody in the clan to chat on one window, which can make it easy to see who is online, coordinate games, etc. (as long as you remember to open the clan chat window - AFAIK it doesn't give toaster pop-ups for messages the way a PM does).
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
If anyone is looking at MTGO apparently cardhoarder is offering 5tix of free loaners per mtgo account - 5 bucks goes quite a long way in edh stuff.
I also still have the donation account that @bobthefunny and others have traded with, if you need a few hundred cards to kickstart your collection. They can weigh in on how that worked for them; but I have commons, uncommons, rares, "staples," and generals that I can give out.
V/R

Treamayne

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

I miss our friday games on modo. Those were fun. Wish I could join your cam games too, but 1) I don't have a cam and 2) my internet is not strong enough to connect this way. Stupid dsl.

Anyway, +1 for @Treamayne and the donation, was a great resource to get my sol ring and save the $20.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
I miss our friday games on modo. Those were fun. Wish I could join your cam games too, but 1) I don't have a cam and 2) my internet is not strong enough to connect this way. Stupid dsl.
I've been on a few Fridays, but not usually until 2130-220 EDT, and I rarely see anybody but @darrenhabib there.

I'm sometimes logged in before that, but earlier than 2100 I'm up and down, cooking, taking care of the pups, etc. That's when I deck build/tweak in the spare moments. I sometimes come back to see a message from @WolfWhoWanders but he's usually gone by the time I see his message. I leave messages in the clan chat, but nobody ever responds.
V/R

Treamayne

3drinks

630 my time then, I really need to get on more. I've slacked off since the PMs stopped, like interest died. Which is sad. It doesn't help that the discord is dead in all but one or two cases either.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Maluko
Answers: 1

Post by Maluko » 3 years ago

I keep working at home (the perks of being close to finishing my PhD thesis), so if anybody wants to play games in Cockatrice, I'm all for it 🙂

3drinks

Maluko wrote:
3 years ago
I keep working at home (the perks of being close to finishing my PhD thesis), so if anybody wants to play games in Cockatrice, I'm all for it 🙂
Only modo here. Can't be bothered with a system lacking automated rules enforcement and arguing with n00bs that the interaction they're trying to do doesn't work as they think it does.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

It's been pretty difficult to find time to play lately. Big life changes and a move have not afforded me much time to even look at some of these cool new cards coming out. As things settle down some more I should be able to get on more often. Just set the computer back up anyways
Responds well to spells and abilities

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”